Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best EVER thing on TV 21:26 - Aug 3 with 5948 viewscolinallcars

Moving on from the Uhuru thread - and I've had a few pints - what d'you think is the best thing ever on TV.
I'd go for Star Trek, Monocled Mutineer and Smiley's People. Edit, and Tinker, tailor, Soldier Spy.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 21:39]
Best EVER thing on TV on 08:32 - Aug 4 with 1794 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Drama - The West Wing
Comedy - Seinfeld
Childhood - The Man from Atlantis

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best EVER thing on TV on 08:50 - Aug 4 with 1763 viewsterryb

Our choices are definitely age related!

Individual drama - Cathy Come Home
Serial drama - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Comedy - I didn't know you cared (I expect I'm the only person in the world with this selection!)
Best EVER thing on TV on 09:56 - Aug 4 with 1699 viewslosethedrum

The Sweeney , John Thaw was immense as Jack Regan or Regal as Diana Dors kept calling him in one episode .
Best EVER thing on TV on 10:05 - Aug 4 with 1676 viewsSonofpugwash

Edge of Darkness was pretty damn good.
The Prisoner.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Best EVER thing on TV on 10:36 - Aug 4 with 1624 viewsPunteR

Knightrider
A Team
Dukes of Hazzard
Starsky and Hutch
The Professionals

Watching them back now as an adult and they are all completely shit but they were good at the time.

Recent TV. First couple of 24, Boardwalk Empire, Stranger Things , Lost. All really good.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Best EVER thing on TV on 11:06 - Aug 4 with 1578 viewsGaryT

Whilst Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The West Wing, The Office and I'll even go as far as Game of Thrones were must watch TV series, if I go back to when you had to stay in or set the Betamax (I'm a QPR fan, of course I went with Betamax), my list of best things on tv would be: Minder, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Top of the Pops and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The first two still bring a smile to my face as I remember saying "that was brilliant!" as the theme tune and credits roll.
Best EVER thing on TV on 11:39 - Aug 4 with 1543 viewstraininvain

The Sopranos, without a doubt. Many of the shows mentioned (the Wire, Breaking Bad etc) wouldn’t have happened without the Sopranos.

Honourable mention to Band of Brothers which is surely the undisputed best limited tv series of all time.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 11:39]
Best EVER thing on TV on 12:18 - Aug 4 with 1487 viewsSydneyRs

Best EVER thing on TV on 11:39 - Aug 4 by traininvain

The Sopranos, without a doubt. Many of the shows mentioned (the Wire, Breaking Bad etc) wouldn’t have happened without the Sopranos.

Honourable mention to Band of Brothers which is surely the undisputed best limited tv series of all time.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 11:39]

While they may not have happened without the Sopranos, The Wire in particular in my view is far superior to it.

I made a point of watching Sopranos from the beginning recently because it's always part of the debate. It's excellent no doubt but lacks the depth and complexity of The Wire. I also found it got repetitive after a while with just the odd standout episode.
Login to get fewer ads

Best EVER thing on TV on 14:26 - Aug 4 with 1404 viewsSalo

Lost
The Kardashians
Best EVER thing on TV on 14:30 - Aug 4 with 1400 viewsMelakaRanger

Has to be a more modern series.

My top 3 being

Yellowstone

Hell On Wheels

And best from my childhood - Freewheelers :) Southern TV at its best!
Best EVER thing on TV on 14:57 - Aug 4 with 1365 viewstraininvain

Best EVER thing on TV on 12:18 - Aug 4 by SydneyRs

While they may not have happened without the Sopranos, The Wire in particular in my view is far superior to it.

I made a point of watching Sopranos from the beginning recently because it's always part of the debate. It's excellent no doubt but lacks the depth and complexity of The Wire. I also found it got repetitive after a while with just the odd standout episode.

Enjoyed the Wire and I’ve watched it a couple of times from start to finish. But I prefer the Sopranos as I can watch it over and over again without feeling like I’m doing homework and the dark comedy is unparalleled (e.g. Pine Barrens).

I also found the final season of the Wire a bit of a disappointment. But we’re probably splitting hairs. Two of the best tv shows of all time and ultimately down to personal opinion.
Best EVER thing on TV on 16:47 - Aug 4 with 1311 viewsSouthallRanger

Of course, subjective and we can all have overall favs etc but I always think you should split these things into categories:

Comedy: fools and horses, father ted, the office, bottom (I watched this with my brother when I was a young teenager, you can’t take those memories from me). Honourable mention for red dwarf up to series 6, the thick of it

Modern Drama: breaking bad. Band of brothers, narcos. Honourable mentions for some series of lost and most series of Homeland

Retro fav series from childhood (don’t rewatch though as most have not stood test of time): A team, Nightrider, Miami vice, minder, on the buses, citizen smith

Soaps: not going to bother. Used to watch most of them when younger. Regret waste of time now though. Still, free Arthur fowler

Reality: first series of big brother, mtv cribs

Docs: watched so many but can’t recount any favs. The one that comes up in convos most from me is a very short doc. Social experiment about a class where they told children brown eyed people were more intelligent than blue eyed. What happened with acedemic results a behaviourally (mainly bullying) was so interested. And better still when they switched it and told them it was the other way round some time after.

Game shows: bullseye, krypton factor, gladiators, pointless, used to love generation game and big break.

I have watched a lot of tv in my lifetime. But still haven’t seen a minute of the wire, sopranos, Dexter, the walking dead and many more. They are vaguely on my watch list. But between kids and wife not sure when that will ever happen now
Best EVER thing on TV on 16:59 - Aug 4 with 1291 viewsDorse

Best EVER thing on TV on 08:03 - Aug 4 by Metallica_Hoop

The Wire
Sharpe
Banshee
The Boys
Battlestar Galactica (I've re=watched it 3 time)

You forgot The Expanse, beratna.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Best EVER thing on TV on 23:19 - Aug 4 with 1181 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I used to love The Wonder Years when I was growing up.

Apparently there's been a 'reboot' recently where the family is now black middle class in late 60s Alabama. Seems to get decent reviews if that means anything these days. Anyone seen it?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Best EVER thing on TV on 23:26 - Aug 4 with 1179 viewsMrSheen

In ascending order
Spiral
The Shield
Peep Show

Honourable mentions…
Tiger King - the weirdest story ever told
After Dark
Gazzetta Football Italia
The Cops - 2 BAFTA awards for best drama series 3 also nominated… but the last two series repeated just once (on satellite) and never released on video. Why?
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 23:39]
Best EVER thing on TV on 01:34 - Aug 5 with 1122 viewsSydneyRs

Best EVER thing on TV on 14:57 - Aug 4 by traininvain

Enjoyed the Wire and I’ve watched it a couple of times from start to finish. But I prefer the Sopranos as I can watch it over and over again without feeling like I’m doing homework and the dark comedy is unparalleled (e.g. Pine Barrens).

I also found the final season of the Wire a bit of a disappointment. But we’re probably splitting hairs. Two of the best tv shows of all time and ultimately down to personal opinion.

The last season of The Wire was the weakest. The thing with it is there is so much going on and I did have to watch some episodes more than once to pick it all up. That isn't for everyone. There's a real depth to it.

To me though it is the only show where I've just been completely amazed at how good it was. With Breaking Bad and Sopranos, I love them too but it isn't the same. More a case of being blown away by specific episodes (example the face off ep in BB) than the shows as a whole. Better Call Saul is also superb.
Best EVER thing on TV on 07:55 - Aug 5 with 1066 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Best EVER thing on TV on 16:59 - Aug 4 by Dorse

You forgot The Expanse, beratna.

I didn't but it hasn't finished yet so left it off bossmang.

I still need to get the last book in paperback.

I might re-read the whole thing as a treat after I finish Mel's at work orre-reading the Reality Dysfunction trilogy by Peter F Hamilton at home.

EDIT: Merde how can I forget Spiral and the Red French Fox.

[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 8:06]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best EVER thing on TV on 08:34 - Aug 5 with 1030 viewseasthertsr

Not very many British programmes!
Line of Duty
Happy Valley
Inside No 9
Blackadder
Best EVER thing on TV on 09:10 - Aug 5 with 1006 viewsNushnool

Drama - The Sopranos
Comedy - The Office

Both things that I will never tire of watching.
Best EVER thing on TV on 10:57 - Aug 5 with 940 viewsstanistheman

Best EVER thing on TV on 06:42 - Aug 4 by DaBurgh

Not a regular TV viewer since the 90's really hence my choices.
Cheers - although really dated now
Fraiser- stll stands the test of time imo
Fools and horses - of course

Those comedy shows are always a good watch and I would add Friends to that collection.

I have also watched Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Sopranos and would add Ozark to those as good to watch.

I haven't seen The Wire, but will try and find time to do so if it is on catch up.
Best EVER thing on TV on 12:07 - Aug 5 with 908 viewsbollockchops

cant believe no ones mentioned "Bargain loving Brits in the Sun "
Best EVER thing on TV on 13:14 - Aug 5 with 857 viewsjohnhoop

Best EVER thing on TV on 07:55 - Aug 5 by Metallica_Hoop

I didn't but it hasn't finished yet so left it off bossmang.

I still need to get the last book in paperback.

I might re-read the whole thing as a treat after I finish Mel's at work orre-reading the Reality Dysfunction trilogy by Peter F Hamilton at home.

EDIT: Merde how can I forget Spiral and the Red French Fox.

[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 8:06]

Haven’t they announced that series 6 was as far as they’re going to take it for the foreseeable future because of the big time jump between that and the ones that follow?
Best EVER thing on TV on 13:27 - Aug 5 with 823 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Best EVER thing on TV on 13:14 - Aug 5 by johnhoop

Haven’t they announced that series 6 was as far as they’re going to take it for the foreseeable future because of the big time jump between that and the ones that follow?

Oh Maybe, I missed that bit. I wondered how that was going to pan out.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best EVER thing on TV on 13:28 - Aug 5 with 821 viewsLythamR

Best EVER thing on TV on 12:07 - Aug 5 by bollockchops

thats because we cant nominate shows we have featured in :)

My favourite drama series would be Deadwood

and childhood was Captain Scarlett
Best EVER thing on TV on 14:02 - Aug 5 with 791 viewsJuzzie

About twenty years ago me and my then GF had a regular Friday night watching, with a couple of bottles of wine, Friends, Fraiser and South Park (all one after the other on C4) followed by a bit of how’s your father (no, not the tv show starring Harry Worth) then bed.

[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 14:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024