Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MLS better than the Championship 14:24 - Aug 7 with 6463 viewsWegerles_Stairs

According to the future Everton manager, Wayne Rooney, "the football is of a significantly higher standard to the Sky Bet Championship."

Really?????
MLS better than the Championship on 01:50 - Aug 8 with 1723 viewsNorthernr

MLS better than the Championship on 22:50 - Aug 7 by Boston

Put down the Peroni.

Come to some games with me.
MLS better than the Championship on 09:05 - Aug 8 with 1560 viewsDaBurgh

MLS better than the Championship on 21:44 - Aug 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

A reminder that Bradley Wright Phillips was top scorer and MLS player of the year last year.

Huh?
MLS Top scorer 2021 season
Valentin Castellanos 22 goals
Bradley Wright-Phillips 1 goal
MLS better than the Championship on 11:50 - Aug 8 with 1485 viewsNW5Hoop

MLS better than the Championship on 20:41 - Aug 7 by Paddyhoops

I suppose it’s all relative.
I agree with you on the quality of the championship but were we not royally entertained yesterday?
Quality opener, dominant half hour . Great fight back and that joy of just about hanging on.
Throw in a raucous crowd and you have a decent package.
Willocks quality makes it all worthwhile even if we will end up watching dirge at various times throughout the season!
Watched a few MLS games . It’s nothing special and lacks the tribalism that we have.

Entertainment isn't the same as quality. Especially from a coach's point of view. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather watch a 4-3 full of errors than a sterile 0-0 between two elite teams, but the 4-3 would still be the low-quality game in terms of how the players actually performed. I've been royally entertained watching terrible horror movies; they're still terrible movies.
MLS better than the Championship on 14:37 - Aug 8 with 1398 viewsSonofpugwash

Blimey,I thought people on here were totally enamoured with the Championship bar all else.
Funny how things change.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

MLS better than the Championship on 15:06 - Aug 8 with 1364 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

MLS better than the Championship on 14:37 - Aug 8 by Sonofpugwash

Blimey,I thought people on here were totally enamoured with the Championship bar all else.
Funny how things change.

Is this another roundabout way of saying we’re shit fans again? A theme is developing on this site, usually in response to a call for a reality check.
MLS better than the Championship on 15:07 - Aug 8 with 1365 viewsNorthernr

Hey I love the Championship, but you can't pretend quality wise it's not a lot of terrible rubbish.
MLS better than the Championship on 15:36 - Aug 8 with 1316 viewsNortholt_Rs

MLS better than the Championship on 22:30 - Aug 7 by Match82

Went to a game earlier this year. Neither team created as much as we did during the Blackburn game. Which if you'll remember was barely above fck all.

Portland Timbers vs Real Salt Lake, current league table has both of them as right in the middle. On that showing both of them would get turned over by league one teams

‘Real Salt Lake’. Behave!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

MLS better than the Championship on 15:47 - Aug 8 with 1301 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

MLS better than the Championship on 15:07 - Aug 8 by Northernr

Hey I love the Championship, but you can't pretend quality wise it's not a lot of terrible rubbish.

What you comparing it to though Norf?
Login to get fewer ads

MLS better than the Championship on 16:00 - Aug 8 with 1270 viewsNorthernr

MLS better than the Championship on 15:47 - Aug 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

What you comparing it to though Norf?

I'm not, Rooney is.

If you make a sht sandwich it's a sht sandwich. You don't need to have eaten at Cipriani's to know that.
MLS better than the Championship on 16:20 - Aug 8 with 1241 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Despite being an American who is NY-based, I don't watch too much MLS, but I do get to a couple of games a year.

I'd say the quality is somewhere between Championship and League One, but the teams themselves are so unbalanced with the Designated Player rule (i.e. every team is allowed to sign up to three players that would be considered outside of the salary cap, so your Higuains, Bentekes, etc.). LA Galaxy has Douglas Costa, Riqui Puig from Barca, and Chicharito Hernandez, Derrick Williams from Blackburn, and then a bunch of average American and Mexican/Central American players. Just all over the place in terms of roster quality.

In terms of on-field quality, the influx of Mexican and South American players has increased the on-pitch quality and creativity. Most teams are decent going forward, but finishing is still inconsistent at best, woeful at worst, and the defending is League Two level. It's no wonder the USMNT can't field two decent CBs.

Goalkeeping is pretty poor too in the league. Boro's Steffan has the most caps among U.S. keepers, and we saw how poor he was on Saturday. Kind of shows the low quality of keepers in the U.S.
MLS better than the Championship on 16:21 - Aug 8 with 1238 viewsNorthernr

MLS better than the Championship on 16:20 - Aug 8 by EmpireStateRanger

Despite being an American who is NY-based, I don't watch too much MLS, but I do get to a couple of games a year.

I'd say the quality is somewhere between Championship and League One, but the teams themselves are so unbalanced with the Designated Player rule (i.e. every team is allowed to sign up to three players that would be considered outside of the salary cap, so your Higuains, Bentekes, etc.). LA Galaxy has Douglas Costa, Riqui Puig from Barca, and Chicharito Hernandez, Derrick Williams from Blackburn, and then a bunch of average American and Mexican/Central American players. Just all over the place in terms of roster quality.

In terms of on-field quality, the influx of Mexican and South American players has increased the on-pitch quality and creativity. Most teams are decent going forward, but finishing is still inconsistent at best, woeful at worst, and the defending is League Two level. It's no wonder the USMNT can't field two decent CBs.

Goalkeeping is pretty poor too in the league. Boro's Steffan has the most caps among U.S. keepers, and we saw how poor he was on Saturday. Kind of shows the low quality of keepers in the U.S.

That's strange because in the 90s/00s the US had some brilliant keepers - Keller, Friedel, Howard all playing Prem at the same time I think.
MLS better than the Championship on 16:37 - Aug 8 with 1209 viewsEmpireStateRanger

MLS better than the Championship on 16:21 - Aug 8 by Northernr

That's strange because in the 90s/00s the US had some brilliant keepers - Keller, Friedel, Howard all playing Prem at the same time I think.

You're right. GK quality has gone way down. Used to be the team's strong suit, with attacking being its weakness (Donovan, Dempsey and nobody else). Now, it's switched.

Howard will always be a legend over here. They'd probably still trot him out there for the national team if he was active, despite being 43.

There's a crop of youngsters they're waiting to break through, Steffan being one of them. Ethan Horvath was signed by Forest last year and is on loan at Luton now. Another keeper, Matt Turner, just signed with Arsenal.
MLS better than the Championship on 17:49 - Aug 8 with 1173 viewsPunteR

In the 80s England had Stallone in goal.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

MLS better than the Championship on 17:53 - Aug 8 with 1169 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

MLS better than the Championship on 16:37 - Aug 8 by EmpireStateRanger

You're right. GK quality has gone way down. Used to be the team's strong suit, with attacking being its weakness (Donovan, Dempsey and nobody else). Now, it's switched.

Howard will always be a legend over here. They'd probably still trot him out there for the national team if he was active, despite being 43.

There's a crop of youngsters they're waiting to break through, Steffan being one of them. Ethan Horvath was signed by Forest last year and is on loan at Luton now. Another keeper, Matt Turner, just signed with Arsenal.

No Googling, who can remember the name of our American keeper who didn’t play for us but shattered Rowan Vine’s leg.
MLS better than the Championship on 18:12 - Aug 8 with 1160 viewsstanistheman

MLS better than the Championship on 17:53 - Aug 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

No Googling, who can remember the name of our American keeper who didn’t play for us but shattered Rowan Vine’s leg.

Slim Pickings!

Who else remembers Jurgen Sommer, our useless keeper from the 95/96 Premiership relegation team. and in the 1st division the following season. He only managed a less than a handful of clean sheets in the Premiership and not many the following season either.
MLS better than the Championship on 18:42 - Aug 8 with 1142 viewsSonofpugwash

MLS better than the Championship on 15:06 - Aug 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Is this another roundabout way of saying we’re shit fans again? A theme is developing on this site, usually in response to a call for a reality check.

Not at all,I'm just remembering threads that slagged off the Premier League and how it was effectively more desireable to eat hamburger rather than fillet mignon.
Our fans are not shit.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 18:46]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

MLS better than the Championship on 22:12 - Aug 8 with 1085 viewsNewBee

MLS better than the Championship on 21:44 - Aug 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

A reminder that Bradley Wright Phillips was top scorer and MLS player of the year last year.

I once saw Colorado Rapids play New England(?) in the Mile High Stadium in Denver on 4th July, 2004.

A 33 y.o. John Spencer, in the last of his 3 seasons in MLS, was the best player on the pitch by a mile. Aside from that, I don't remember a damned thing about the game - the post-match fireworks and music show was by far the best thing about the whole event, followed by the stadium itself - the Yanks certainly know how to put on a show!

All that said, I've no doubt MLS has improved greatly since then and I wouldn't be surprised if some elements of the game are now as good as the Championship, such as sports science and conditioning etc, even if the rest (marketing excepted) still has some way to go.

Footnote:
Spencer retired a month later, having been hit with injury all year. And in return for 33 goals in 88 MLS games, he was eventually inducted into the MLS Hall of Fame.
MLS better than the Championship on 22:20 - Aug 8 with 1080 viewsNewBee

MLS better than the Championship on 16:00 - Aug 8 by Northernr

I'm not, Rooney is.

If you make a sht sandwich it's a sht sandwich. You don't need to have eaten at Cipriani's to know that.

And you know what they say about a shit sandwich: "The more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat".

Maybe your view of the Championship is jaundiced a little by QPR being skint? (No offence)
MLS better than the Championship on 22:28 - Aug 8 with 1063 viewsSydneyRs

Keller was superb in the Millwall FA cup game. Nearly got to the pen too.
MLS better than the Championship on 22:32 - Aug 8 with 1057 viewsGroveR

MLS better than the Championship on 22:20 - Aug 8 by NewBee

And you know what they say about a shit sandwich: "The more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat".

Maybe your view of the Championship is jaundiced a little by QPR being skint? (No offence)

Are you in fact Eddie Temple in Layer Cake?

MLS better than the Championship on 22:56 - Aug 8 with 1042 viewsCamberleyR

MLS better than the Championship on 22:28 - Aug 8 by SydneyRs

Keller was superb in the Millwall FA cup game. Nearly got to the pen too.

Ray Wilkins obviously wasn't taking any notice that day otherwise he'd have signed him in the summer rather than Jurgen 'Elke' Sommer. Could have been a different story the following season with a competent keeper behind the back four.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 22:57]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

MLS better than the Championship on 07:58 - Aug 9 with 927 viewssupahoopsa

Don't forget Juergen Sommer!!

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

MLS better than the Championship on 08:00 - Aug 9 with 910 viewsNorthernr

MLS better than the Championship on 22:56 - Aug 8 by CamberleyR

Ray Wilkins obviously wasn't taking any notice that day otherwise he'd have signed him in the summer rather than Jurgen 'Elke' Sommer. Could have been a different story the following season with a competent keeper behind the back four.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 22:57]

One of the great QPR transfer fck ups that one. We'd had Millwall in the cup two years running and Keller was unreal both times. He goes to Leicester and we sign Sommer instead.
MLS better than the Championship on 10:34 - Aug 9 with 794 viewsderbyhoop

MLS better than the Championship on 08:00 - Aug 9 by Northernr

One of the great QPR transfer fck ups that one. We'd had Millwall in the cup two years running and Keller was unreal both times. He goes to Leicester and we sign Sommer instead.

Another comparison would be A League in
🇦🇺

Leading scorer fir Sydney FC last season was Adam le Fondre who'd not get a gig with a L1 side.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

MLS better than the Championship on 10:35 - Aug 9 with 791 viewsNorthernr

MLS better than the Championship on 10:34 - Aug 9 by derbyhoop

Another comparison would be A League in
🇦🇺

Leading scorer fir Sydney FC last season was Adam le Fondre who'd not get a gig with a L1 side.

From what I gather, and our ex pats on here would know more than me but I follow a lot of journos who do the NRL and A League, the A League has really gone downhill of late...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024