Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Posties…. 23:18 - Aug 9 with 12592 viewscolinallcars

Four days strike action in Aug and Sept. We should really get behind them on this issue.
They are an integral part of all our lives and, I feel, somewhat taken for granted.
Give them a good pay rise to show how much we appreciate them.
Posties…. on 16:39 - Aug 11 with 1314 viewsSheffieldHoop

Posties…. on 16:31 - Aug 11 by denhamhoop2

Yes because Coal and Steel was unprofitable to make in this country so the Rhetoric goes. Hmm you might need a little lesson in history which considering your background is South Yorkshire is a sad indictment of the education system in this country. Rather than support the industries of this country she chose to pay extra to import coal from Poland so unlike Germany where the Government actually charged subsidies on imported goods to make their own industries competitive she chose to actually compete against her own people and their businesses for a Political point

Hahaha if I had truly been educated in South Yorkshire, more specifically the school I was sent to in South Yorkshire, I would not be able to hold this conversation. And that is actually a sad indictment of the education system in this country.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Posties…. on 16:43 - Aug 11 with 1297 viewsLazyFan

Posties…. on 14:56 - Aug 11 by SheffieldHoop

Some people here are paid peanuts relative to the Americans who are paid peanuts - So not sure what your point is there. America also has Unions, so again, I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

I disagree, I think the strong employment laws come from democracy, not unions. If it was up to Unions, I would be down the pit.

They don't, Unions fought hard for those laws.

For example, minimum wage was hard fought for, and pressure from Unions even on the Blairites forced that through.

Also, Unions have democratic rights to vote 1 member 1 vote to strike or not to. I think they should be forced to have 50.1% vote of their membership (regardless of who turns out to vote).

It would be harder and unfair compared to those MP's who get fewer votes even on turnout, but it would remove the excuse from the right and send the message that the members really feel that way and its not just troublesome union bosses.

Remember in the past they used to say 30+ years ago "yeah but those were bad bosses in the past, no need for Unions now", yet here we are 30 years later and that same excuse is trotted out again. The reason Unions exist is due to LACK of democracy in companies for the workers. You could END unions instantly if you had proper democracy in the workplace. Are you really for democracy as you say? Or is that just a right-whinger excuse, as when the time comes to stand up for it, once again the leadership is lacking?

zzzzzzzzzz

Posties…. on 16:46 - Aug 11 with 1273 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Posties…. on 14:57 - Aug 11 by Northernr

This is going to go 12 pages, and you're all going to think the same as you thought at the start.

I think you’ve made it worse ;)

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Posties…. on 16:48 - Aug 11 with 1255 viewsNorthernr

Posties…. on 16:46 - Aug 11 by CliveWilsonSaid

I think you’ve made it worse ;)

Depressing.
Posties…. on 16:49 - Aug 11 with 1252 viewsLazyFan

Posties…. on 14:43 - Aug 11 by SheffieldHoop

How do mailboxes in those countries cope when 100,000 people rock up for their mail? Oh, they don't do that, because most people don't bother paying for a mailbox. How do they get their junk mail then? They don't - Junk mail literally does not exist in those places from my experience, certainly not in the way it does here, because it's not effective.

FWIW today's post consisted of x1 catalog for a shop called Lakeland.

In the old days before privatisation, junk mail was blocked before you got it. Corps complained and then it was opened up to junk.

Do you know how the companies got around it before then?

They would hire kids as young as 14 to post it through your box anyway! I know I used to do it for one of those Estate Agent advert papers (now you see the Evening Standard full off) for 1p per paper. I did 300 over several council blocks to people who could never afford the properties anyway, which got me a mere £3. They had many desperate poorer kids (this was Thatcher's 80s) than me waiting in line so, I jacked it in as they needed the money more.

So, don't think it will save you from junk mail, actually what will happen is that will be the ONLY mail you get and also even if you block the letterbox up (which some did) the child would be told to dump it on your property. Welcome to legal fly tipping!

zzzzzzzzzz

Posties…. on 16:50 - Aug 11 with 1246 viewsSnipper

Posties…. on 16:00 - Aug 11 by SheffieldHoop

And all I'm saying is if we always listened to the Unions, I would be digging coal out of the ground in a town like Barnsley or Worksop. Sometimes the Unions are just wrong. Sometimes they protect jobs that it's not in all our best interests to protect.

The unions fought for all the freedoms and luxuries the normal working person has.

These include Saturday’s & Sunday’s off for the majority.
A limit of a 40 hour week for the majority.
Paid holiday time off.
Maternity & Paternity pay.

The list goes on.

You being under 30 and having a job where the posties or transport workers striking doesn’t bother you, may be ok for you now. But the unions are fighting for workers futures.

It’s all well and good you saying that technology should take over these positions.
Let’s say technology takes over from the posties, and indeed my profession as a train driver. Who’s to say that it would stop there?

Your job would probably be on the hit list. What jobs would there be for your children and grandchildren if technology takes over?

Be very very careful what you wish for.
Posties…. on 16:51 - Aug 11 with 1232 viewsstowmarketrange

Posties…. on 16:39 - Aug 11 by SheffieldHoop

Hahaha if I had truly been educated in South Yorkshire, more specifically the school I was sent to in South Yorkshire, I would not be able to hold this conversation. And that is actually a sad indictment of the education system in this country.

So where are these kids from Sheffield supposed to work in the future if they aren’t as qualified as you obviously are?They won’t be posties,train drivers or doing any other meaningful work as there won’t be any of these jobs going.
Maybe they should all be stacking shelves or wiping a@ses instead?And I don’t intend to demean anybody who does those jobs by the way.
Posties…. on 16:54 - Aug 11 with 1208 viewsHayesender

Regarding the junk mail, you can block that being delivered by your postie if you go on their website and opt out.

Very easy to do

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Posties…. on 16:56 - Aug 11 with 1177 viewsSheffieldHoop

Posties…. on 16:51 - Aug 11 by stowmarketrange

So where are these kids from Sheffield supposed to work in the future if they aren’t as qualified as you obviously are?They won’t be posties,train drivers or doing any other meaningful work as there won’t be any of these jobs going.
Maybe they should all be stacking shelves or wiping a@ses instead?And I don’t intend to demean anybody who does those jobs by the way.

Er, given the age we're living to, yeh it seems like most of them are going to end up working in social care.

"And I don’t intend to demean anybody who does those jobs by the way." - Well, you are.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 17:01]

Posties…. on 16:57 - Aug 11 with 1190 viewsLazyFan

Posties…. on 16:35 - Aug 11 by SheffieldHoop

What's malicious is this thing on here where you get abuse for stating obvious facts, which are based on common sense and backed up by evidence.

Soviet Union-style political correctness. It's a shame because I agree with most of the Libs of LFW when it comes to most QPR related stuff.

Let's be clear here, Soviet which is really Stalinism is exactly how big corps operate today.

CEO = General Secretary
C-Suite team = Polit Bureaux
Company Policy = Red Book
Unions = Counter Revolutionaries
Corp Dress = Red Uniform

One thing you won't see in China, Russia or Corp Capitalist companies is a proper worker democracy, with the right of recall on any leader (not just reps) that they choose. Where do you think Stalin got the ideas from? From bosses at capitalist companies that's where.

As that's a democracy, which you will probably say you for, but actually against when it's for workers, just like those Soviets?

That's why I am against Russia and China as there is less chance of democracy there.

zzzzzzzzzz

Posties…. on 17:01 - Aug 11 with 1163 viewsstowmarketrange

Posties…. on 16:56 - Aug 11 by SheffieldHoop

Er, given the age we're living to, yeh it seems like most of them are going to end up working in social care.

"And I don’t intend to demean anybody who does those jobs by the way." - Well, you are.

Very depressing thought for a kid leaving school to know that they’ll be looking after old people until they get too old to do it.Still as long as you’re ok,then stuff everyone else who isn’t as fortunate as you.
Thatcher would be impressed that she’s helped turn out such blinkered people.
Posties…. on 17:03 - Aug 11 with 1134 viewsSheffieldHoop

Posties…. on 17:01 - Aug 11 by stowmarketrange

Very depressing thought for a kid leaving school to know that they’ll be looking after old people until they get too old to do it.Still as long as you’re ok,then stuff everyone else who isn’t as fortunate as you.
Thatcher would be impressed that she’s helped turn out such blinkered people.

I became a carer to my dad at age 14 so probably not the best person to have this conversation with

For what it's worth, I got paid for it as well from the age of 15, by way of direct payments/Personal care budget. The government actually does look after people in really bad situations. I know because I've been there.

Posties…. on 17:11 - Aug 11 with 1119 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Posties…. on 16:48 - Aug 11 by Northernr

Depressing.

Have a good weekend in the NE. Be a bit cooler up there 👍🏻

Posties…. on 17:13 - Aug 11 with 1107 viewsstowmarketrange

Posties…. on 17:03 - Aug 11 by SheffieldHoop

I became a carer to my dad at age 14 so probably not the best person to have this conversation with

For what it's worth, I got paid for it as well from the age of 15, by way of direct payments/Personal care budget. The government actually does look after people in really bad situations. I know because I've been there.

Then you ought to have a little more understanding that we are not all born equal,or with equal life chances in this country.Not everyone can get the high flying,well paid jobs that some others can.
I left school with no qualifications or ambitions,but I had 26 years working in the post office,which allowed me the opportunity to buy my first house,which a lot of workers did back in the 80’s.
How are this generation supposed to get on in life if there are no worthwhile jobs for them to do when they leave school that pay a decent wage?
Posties…. on 17:14 - Aug 11 with 1080 viewsSheffieldHoop

Posties…. on 16:48 - Aug 11 by Northernr

Depressing.

What I find depressing is how many people on here claim to be fully grown adults with family and responsibilities - And yet they still fall for this absolute bullshit about people working 60 hours a week only being able to feed themselves out of foodbanks.

Posties…. on 17:19 - Aug 11 with 1059 viewsSheffieldHoop

Posties…. on 17:13 - Aug 11 by stowmarketrange

Then you ought to have a little more understanding that we are not all born equal,or with equal life chances in this country.Not everyone can get the high flying,well paid jobs that some others can.
I left school with no qualifications or ambitions,but I had 26 years working in the post office,which allowed me the opportunity to buy my first house,which a lot of workers did back in the 80’s.
How are this generation supposed to get on in life if there are no worthwhile jobs for them to do when they leave school that pay a decent wage?

Weird because I've spent the last 2 years being told that inequality is a result of society, rather than "not being born equal"

The NHS employs 1.2 million people and has 000's more vacancies in England alone. If you cannot find a "worthwhile job to do" in this country - You're not gonna find it anywhere else.

Posties…. on 17:26 - Aug 11 with 1045 viewsted_hendrix

Anyone fancy a pint?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Posties…. on 17:46 - Aug 11 with 990 viewslightwaterhoop

Cant afford one!
Posties…. on 17:54 - Aug 11 with 967 viewscolinallcars

Posties…. on 17:26 - Aug 11 by ted_hendrix

Anyone fancy a pint?

Not for me, I hate beer. 🥴
Posties…. on 18:08 - Aug 11 with 933 viewsdenhamhoop2

Posties…. on 16:51 - Aug 11 by stowmarketrange

Since when does being well qualified mean you will have a well paying and fulfilling job. Where you went to school and who you know are quite often as big a factor in how well you do in the job market. The ability to do the job to a decent level should be a big factor in who is deployed but is not always relevant have a look at our current Government
Posties…. on 21:37 - Aug 11 with 797 viewsLadbrokeR

Posties…. on 16:56 - Aug 11 by SheffieldHoop

That would require a significant amount of funding for the public sector. This would be to pay for direct labour or commissioned services. That’s probably not on the government to do list.
Posties…. on 22:05 - Aug 11 with 754 viewsDavieQPR

I would find a lot of arguments a lot more convincing about a decent wage if most of them weren't on a good wage already. Post Office workers and Train drivers aren't actually struggling to survive. With any good rises the money has to come from somewhere. Increased prices for everyone or less pension pot. Plus you don't think it will stop here do you? Every Union will have a go.
Posties…. on 23:15 - Aug 11 with 691 viewsKonk

The trade union movement saved my Dad from getting rinsed after 36 years of exemplary service. Long live the unions. Power to the posties. X

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Posties…. on 23:25 - Aug 11 with 677 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Posties…. on 22:05 - Aug 11 by DavieQPR

I would find a lot of arguments a lot more convincing about a decent wage if most of them weren't on a good wage already. Post Office workers and Train drivers aren't actually struggling to survive. With any good rises the money has to come from somewhere. Increased prices for everyone or less pension pot. Plus you don't think it will stop here do you? Every Union will have a go.

I think the amount of money the workers are being paid is irrelevant at this stage. It's clear that certain sectors of our society are being hung out to dry while others are being ring fenced. I fully support them for using whatever means they have to try to defend themselves. They're actually being remarkably restrained and dignified about it. Good luck to them.

Posties…. on 23:29 - Aug 11 with 662 viewskensalriser

Posties…. on 22:05 - Aug 11 by DavieQPR

I bet you're retired.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024