Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players You Thought Were Overrated 12:17 - Oct 26 with 16139 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shilton.

A couple of really great saves here, to be fair, but many of them camera saves.

A lot also look like good saves but would be simple saves for a taller keeper.
Always thought he was overrated and overhyped, especially compared to Parkes and Clemence (both of whom were better in the air, for instance)

Either way, he was The No. 1 Goalie In The World for twenty years, apparently.
Hard to believe that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:21 - Oct 26 with 5947 viewssparkey

Frank Lampard
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:28 - Oct 26 with 5874 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bit of a nob head too if all of these football podcast guests are to be believed.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:29 - Oct 26 with 5867 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Roy Keane for me.

Jack of all trades master of none wrapped in a morale sapping exterior.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:32 - Oct 26 with 5858 viewsTomS

Most of the 2012/2013 QPR squad.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:35 - Oct 26 with 5845 viewsTheChef

Yeah agreed with Shilton. Good shot stopper but less so in the air, leaden footed - see the Maradona handball goal, he barely gets off the ground.

Should have been put out to pasture after Mexico 86 - plenty of promising younger goalkeepers who should have been #1 at Italia 90 e.g. Seaman, Coton, etc.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:42 - Oct 26 with 5817 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Shilton - great keeper, but he should have retired or have been retired from international football after 86.

Non-QPR - I always thought Giggs a bit overrated. Aside of that goal against Arsenal, never truly realised his abilities.

QPR - Speaking of Giggs' goal, Seamen's positioning - crouched down and not making the goal look small - reminds me that I wasn't too fussed when we cashed in on him. There was always one in him as well, frequently from the halfway line!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:44 - Oct 26 with 5808 viewstoboboly

Beckham
Luongo
Hendrick
Cerny
Rob Green
Jay Bothroyd
Welbeck
Aurier

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:58 - Oct 26 with 5734 viewsBlackCrowe

Cashley. Oh and Maguire obvs.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:05 - Oct 26 with 5690 viewswood_hoop

Alan 'Elbows' Shearer, I despised with a vengance, Emile Heskey might not have been the best forward that represented England. but he played with an unasuming honesty, took plenty of flack unfairly at times but just got on with it.

I know he broke scoring records but his arrogance was beyond belief at times, great players need to show a confidence in their abilities but a little humility can go a long way.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:07 - Oct 26 with 5679 viewsMrSheen

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:35 - Oct 26 by TheChef

Yeah agreed with Shilton. Good shot stopper but less so in the air, leaden footed - see the Maradona handball goal, he barely gets off the ground.

Should have been put out to pasture after Mexico 86 - plenty of promising younger goalkeepers who should have been #1 at Italia 90 e.g. Seaman, Coton, etc.

Bobby Robson was too conservative in keeping him so long, but Shilton at his best (ie about 1978!) had an uncanny anticipation of where strikers would put the ball which made up for his lack of size.

Inclined to agree with Bazza on Keane, whose reputation benefited from a favourable media echo chamber. I’d chuck in another example…Zidane. Undoubtedly a great talent but his media fan club drooled over every move (that goal against Bayer Leverkusen for example) from a man who never hesitated to phone it in when he wasn’t in the mood.

I think there’s some confusion between the terms “over-rated” and “arrogant tosser” here! (eg Shearer, Cashley)
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 13:14]
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:17 - Oct 26 with 5613 viewsLogman

Plenty from the modern era: Henderson, Sterling, quite a few others in the England set-up like Mount, Phillips etc.

I always think Aguero was over-rated too. Fair enough he scored a lot of goals but in that City side many were just tap-ins (like his famous one against us) and he just benefitted from all the great build-up play.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:20 - Oct 26 with 5585 viewsdavman

Sheringham - never saw it apart from that one game in Euro 96 v The Netherlands.

Lee Chapman of the Arsenal - spent a number of games just watching his performance and it was mostly hilarious how bad he actually was.

Similarly, Alan Smith of the Arsenal - not for me.

Gary Neville - so, so ordinary, but had no competition for right back at the time.

Reece James and Mason Mount - aware I have a little bit of bias, but how these keep Trippier and Eze out of the frame is beyond me...

Neymar Jr. Just spends most of his time on the floor or diving to the floor...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:28 - Oct 26 with 5540 viewsAntti_Heinola

Always interesting how people interpret a word like 'overrated' - probably every player is overrated by somebody! Truly amazed to see Keane, Shearer and Giggs listed on here - all have flaws (some more severe than others), on or off the pitch but all three true greats of their time. I'm not quite sure what potential Giggs didn't reach! Ashley Cole as well - not a fan but in his era was objectively one of the top 5 left backs in the world, at worst. Although, Denis Irwin was probably his equal on most measures other than pace and would never get mentioned in the same breath to be fair.

Shilton, growing up I thought was a sort of Goalie God, but the more archive you watch the more horrendous goals he let in, even in his heyday. Currently, Trent Alexander Arnold for me. I can see his incredible ability, but the more I watch him defend the more I understand why Southgate leaves him out. Declan Rice to me is today's Scott Parker - decent enough, but praise far in excess of his actual contributions for me. Also, Chris Willock, who is absolute dogsh!te and it's definitely not worth any scouts even bothering to watch him.

Bare bones.

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:31 - Oct 26 with 5521 viewsLazyFan

Mason Mount

He should not go to the world cup when we have players like Bellingham and Grealish.

zzzzzzzzzz

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:38 - Oct 26 with 5487 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:28 - Oct 26 by Antti_Heinola

Always interesting how people interpret a word like 'overrated' - probably every player is overrated by somebody! Truly amazed to see Keane, Shearer and Giggs listed on here - all have flaws (some more severe than others), on or off the pitch but all three true greats of their time. I'm not quite sure what potential Giggs didn't reach! Ashley Cole as well - not a fan but in his era was objectively one of the top 5 left backs in the world, at worst. Although, Denis Irwin was probably his equal on most measures other than pace and would never get mentioned in the same breath to be fair.

Shilton, growing up I thought was a sort of Goalie God, but the more archive you watch the more horrendous goals he let in, even in his heyday. Currently, Trent Alexander Arnold for me. I can see his incredible ability, but the more I watch him defend the more I understand why Southgate leaves him out. Declan Rice to me is today's Scott Parker - decent enough, but praise far in excess of his actual contributions for me. Also, Chris Willock, who is absolute dogsh!te and it's definitely not worth any scouts even bothering to watch him.

What makes a good player is complex.

Ability, personality, and circumstance all make up a good player.

I mentioned Keane.

He was a great player because of personality and circumstance. But in terms of ability was he great passer like Pirlo? Did he have the athleticism of Vieira? Did he get goals on Lampard's level? No.

If you took away his drive and having Giggs, Cantona, and Scholes around him I think we'd be looking at Joey Barton to be honest.

I think the media played a part too.

That said proof is in the pudding and he has a cabinet full of medals that you don't get by accident.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 13:38]
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:40 - Oct 26 with 5466 viewsplasmahoop

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:31 - Oct 26 by LazyFan

Mason Mount

He should not go to the world cup when we have players like Bellingham and Grealish.

I think grealish is overrated. Always does the same predictable moves, pouncing about with his tiny shin pads. I'd pick mount over him, but would obviously rather eze played!
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:41 - Oct 26 with 5467 viewsflynnbo

Joey Barton, Carlton Palmer, Calvin Phillips, Peter Bonetti, and Scum centre forwards.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:42 - Oct 26 with 5462 viewsblacky200

Always thought Wayne Rooney was overrated. Never turned in the performances for England in the Euros or World cups and to have him as the greatest goalscorer for England is a sham as most of them were against weak opposition.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:48 - Oct 26 with 5428 viewsGaxZE

Pogba & Roy Keane both carried by other players (Kante for Pogba, Scholes for Keane) which allowed them to look better than they are.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:50 - Oct 26 with 5415 viewsTheChef

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:42 - Oct 26 by blacky200

Always thought Wayne Rooney was overrated. Never turned in the performances for England in the Euros or World cups and to have him as the greatest goalscorer for England is a sham as most of them were against weak opposition.

Yeah good point re Rooney - he had one good tournament at Euro 2004 but after that he was too busy chasing grannies and scoring against Andorra.

If you're talking about over-rated teams then definitely the early 2000s England side. Both in 2002 and 2004 they should have gone further at those tournaments - especially since they took the lead in both quarter finals but still failed to win.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:50 - Oct 26 with 5417 viewsBklynRanger

For some reason I decided this was about players we thought were over rated but turned out not to be. How you would measure or assess that I have no idea.

So I'll stick with my answer to that which is Damien Delaney. Not in the sense that I thought he was over rated but I was surprised by how much and how long he played for Palace having gone from us to Ipswich - really did well there.

So to not answer the question, in two different ways, Damien Delaney! : )

(Sorry - long week already...)
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:59 - Oct 26 with 5366 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Defo some crossover between overrated and overachieved.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:10 - Oct 26 with 5312 viewsjohann28

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 12:35 - Oct 26 by TheChef

On Shilton. Never that 100% reliability for me. Note Gary Waddock's speculative effort let in on 0.50, then he fumbles another shortly after.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:19 - Oct 26 with 5246 viewsQPRSteve

Malcom MacDonald and Don Rogers spring to mind. Of today's crop I fail to see what's great about Scott McTominay. I was also going to say Jordan Pickford but the only person who rates him seems to be the England manager.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:20 - Oct 26 with 5241 viewsPhildo

Something for the older gentlemen - Kevin Keegan- I always thought he was the triumph of industry over ability. And he was a right berk when Bobby Robson dropped him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024