Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players You Thought Were Overrated 12:17 - Oct 26 with 17019 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shilton.

A couple of really great saves here, to be fair, but many of them camera saves.

A lot also look like good saves but would be simple saves for a taller keeper.
Always thought he was overrated and overhyped, especially compared to Parkes and Clemence (both of whom were better in the air, for instance)

Either way, he was The No. 1 Goalie In The World for twenty years, apparently.
Hard to believe that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:20 - Oct 26 with 2658 viewsBasingstokeR

Reckon Steeeeeevie G is over rated
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:21 - Oct 26 with 2660 viewsCamberleyR

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:10 - Oct 26 by johann28

On Shilton. Never that 100% reliability for me. Note Gary Waddock's speculative effort let in on 0.50, then he fumbles another shortly after.

He was most definitely on the downslope by this time but there was a dearth of top quality keepers in the 80s, unlike the 70s, so he basically kept his place by default. I think his understudies for England at the time of this clip would have been Bailey & Woods who IMO were both short of the highest class needed to be a regular international.

Never been his greatest fan but to give Shilton his due though, when he was at his peak at the end of the 70s/start of the 80s, he was probably the difference in Forest winning the bagful of trophies they did at the time.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:22 - Oct 26 with 2651 viewsloftboy

Lee Dixon, Bardsley was far superior.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:30 - Oct 26 with 2619 viewsCamberleyR

Phil Neal. Wouldn't have got a tenth of the England caps he did had he not played for Liverpool. Viv Anderson was a far superior right back at the time and should have played much more for England in that late 70s/early 80s period but Greenwood had a definite Liverpool blind spot.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:48 - Oct 26 with 2531 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:28 - Oct 26 by Antti_Heinola

Always interesting how people interpret a word like 'overrated' - probably every player is overrated by somebody! Truly amazed to see Keane, Shearer and Giggs listed on here - all have flaws (some more severe than others), on or off the pitch but all three true greats of their time. I'm not quite sure what potential Giggs didn't reach! Ashley Cole as well - not a fan but in his era was objectively one of the top 5 left backs in the world, at worst. Although, Denis Irwin was probably his equal on most measures other than pace and would never get mentioned in the same breath to be fair.

Shilton, growing up I thought was a sort of Goalie God, but the more archive you watch the more horrendous goals he let in, even in his heyday. Currently, Trent Alexander Arnold for me. I can see his incredible ability, but the more I watch him defend the more I understand why Southgate leaves him out. Declan Rice to me is today's Scott Parker - decent enough, but praise far in excess of his actual contributions for me. Also, Chris Willock, who is absolute dogsh!te and it's definitely not worth any scouts even bothering to watch him.

I can help you here. I think the clue is in the title: ‘Players You Thought Overrated’ not ‘Players You Thought Overrated That Antti Will Agree With’.

That said, I wonder if some are applying a twunt criterion to Shearer and Keane. Washed my hands of both when Shearer kicked some Leicester bloke in the head before the 98 WC, and sought to ‘avoid’ proper sanction and Keane before/during/after the 02 WC. Not sure which, as I’m not sure Keane went/stayed/left.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 14:50]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:49 - Oct 26 with 2525 viewsSnipper

Shilton was a fantastic shot stopper. During his time at Nottingham Forest, he was immense.

When we played Belgium in the last 16 of the 1990 World Cup, I said in the packed pub that they should substitute him as he was absolute pony facing penalty’s. A good few agreed with me, but loads didn’t.
It was the same when we played West Germany in the semi final. He shouldn’t have been England’s goalkeeper after the 1986 World Cup.

Modern players, I’d go for Mason Mount. I just don’t know why he’s so lauded. Others would be Jordan Henderson and Paul Pogba.

I can’t agree about Roy Keane, Steven Gerrard or Alan Shearer. They were magnificent players.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 14:50]
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:58 - Oct 26 with 2488 viewshubble

Mike Sheron.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 15:37 - Oct 26 with 2403 viewsTonto

i suppose the issue here is the rating you apply to someone before they can be over-rated.

personally I dont thin Henderson is over rated. Hes not lauded as some sort of superstar - hes quite good and does that function quite well.

I thought Beckham was over rated as people saw him as the worlds best player - he wasn't. he was very good at taking free kicks and the occasional diag, but he never knowingly took on a defender, beat him with a trick or pace and whipped in a cross.

If you look at transfer fees Veron was pretty over-rated. never justified his fees at all.

And personally I think Sterling is often under-rated. His pace scares the hell out of defenders. yet so often its "get him off" if he makes a mistake. others are allowed to. Once he came off in the Croatia semi at the world cup, (despite all the "get him offs and appluase when he was in the pub i was in), the Engkland team were poorer, not better.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Login to get fewer ads

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 15:48 - Oct 26 with 2360 viewsHayesender

If Beckham had the looks of John Merrick, he wouldn't have got half the caps he got, and Real Madrid and LA Galaxy wouldn't have touched him with a bargepole.

He was all about media and merchandise

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 15:55 - Oct 26 with 2327 viewsdaveB

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 15:48 - Oct 26 by Hayesender

If Beckham had the looks of John Merrick, he wouldn't have got half the caps he got, and Real Madrid and LA Galaxy wouldn't have touched him with a bargepole.

That free kick against Greece was good though
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 16:01 - Oct 26 with 2298 viewsstevec

Ray Wilkins… until he turned up here. Class act.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 16:08 - Oct 26 with 2278 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 15:48 - Oct 26 by Hayesender

Always thought if Beckham had looked like Paul Scholes and vice versa, we'd have had a different narrative over the years.

We'd likely been spared Victoria Adams for as long as we have as well.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 16:08 - Oct 26 with 2278 viewsrobith

Makes me laugh everytime

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 16:35 - Oct 26 with 2179 viewsizlingtonhoop

Captain Marvel...

..my arse!
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 16:46 - Oct 26 with 2163 viewspeakqpr

Not thought- knew:
Theo Walcot
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 17:04 - Oct 26 with 2121 viewsderbyhoop

United have had a fair number. Keane talked a better game than he played. Pogba. Played when he fancied it, which was about 1 in 4. Cavani.

And a controversial one, Beckham. Never won a tackle or a header, used his left foot to stand on. No great pace.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 17:04 - Oct 26 with 2118 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

If Brian Clough thought Shilton was streets ahead of Clemence then that is good enough for me.
Steven Gerrard. Why everyone raved about him I've know idea, I always thought he was technically poor with the turning circle of an oil tanker.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 17:44 - Oct 26 with 2037 viewsLblock

Tony Dorigo

In fact almost any left back who got international honours for England (bar Pearce of course) when Clive Wilson was at his peak with us.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 17:53 - Oct 26 with 2018 viewsDiscodroids

No Problem With Shilton. Wonderful Keeper '74 to Mid 80's.

The Player who i never rated first hand , yet was feted by many like The Marharishi yogi was Oldhams Rick Holden. He had the Rep of a Maverick, a John Robertson type of Winger. Especially around the early 90's when Oldham were funky like a train.

Whenever i saw him play at Loftus road or the old Upton park, he reminded me of a bloke pushing a tea urn around E wing at Rampton secure unit.

Slow, Bored and displaying all the effort of a bought ledger clerk on a tuesday Morning attatching delivery notes to invoices with a colon shitting hangover.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 17:59 - Oct 26 with 1995 viewsdaveB

I've always thought Beckham was under rated, seen more as a star/model than a footballer but he had a great career. Won everything at Man Utd, in Spain won titles, always did well for England. Not the greatest player but made the most of the talent he had

Personally never rated Bryan Robson, always seemed to be injured but I only really saw him playing for england
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 18:00 - Oct 26 with 1998 viewsflynnbo

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 17:53 - Oct 26 by Discodroids

No Problem With Shilton. Wonderful Keeper '74 to Mid 80's.

The Player who i never rated first hand , yet was feted by many like The Marharishi yogi was Oldhams Rick Holden. He had the Rep of a Maverick, a John Robertson type of Winger. Especially around the early 90's when Oldham were funky like a train.

Whenever i saw him play at Loftus road or the old Upton park, he reminded me of a bloke pushing a tea urn around E wing at Rampton secure unit.

Slow, Bored and displaying all the effort of a bought ledger clerk on a tuesday Morning attatching delivery notes to invoices with a colon shitting hangover.

Agree with both choices and, as for the latter, my God he was ugly.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 18:34 - Oct 26 with 1908 viewsShotKneesHoop

Barton was the most overrated player ever - and we signed him. Now he's the most overrated manager.

r'SWiPe was worst player ever, and everyone knew he was shyte anyway. You can't overrate a piece of KFC, but we signed him too.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 18:35]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 19:55 - Oct 26 with 1761 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Forgot the obvious. The entire England team of the early 2000s. Over rated and over hyped.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 20:19 - Oct 26 with 1720 viewsHastings_Hoops

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:22 - Oct 26 by loftboy

Lee Dixon, Bardsley was far superior.

Barry Venison. Clive Wilson was far superior
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 20:31]
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 20:22 - Oct 26 with 1711 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

On that ‘Golden Generation’.

I think I’ve posted this before but some proper honest reflection here.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024