Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players You Thought Were Overrated 12:17 - Oct 26 with 16622 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shilton.

A couple of really great saves here, to be fair, but many of them camera saves.

A lot also look like good saves but would be simple saves for a taller keeper.
Always thought he was overrated and overhyped, especially compared to Parkes and Clemence (both of whom were better in the air, for instance)

Either way, he was The No. 1 Goalie In The World for twenty years, apparently.
Hard to believe that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 20:24 - Oct 26 with 1996 viewsCiderwithRsie

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:22 - Oct 26 by loftboy

Lee Dixon, Bardsley was far superior.

Amazed we got this far down the thread before anyone said this, I was just about to go full-on Neil-Kinnock-taking-on-Derek-Hatton about a QPR forum - a Q P R forum - which doesn't think that if Lee Dixon can play for England so can I.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 20:26 - Oct 26 with 1996 viewsDWQPR

Peter Osgood. Just didn’t get why he is lauded so much at North Battersea SS when Alan Hudson was a far better player.

Ray Clemence. Thought Shilton was a far better keeper.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 20:27 - Oct 26 with 1993 viewsCiderwithRsie

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 14:48 - Oct 26 by PlanetHonneywood

I can help you here. I think the clue is in the title: ‘Players You Thought Overrated’ not ‘Players You Thought Overrated That Antti Will Agree With’.

That said, I wonder if some are applying a twunt criterion to Shearer and Keane. Washed my hands of both when Shearer kicked some Leicester bloke in the head before the 98 WC, and sought to ‘avoid’ proper sanction and Keane before/during/after the 02 WC. Not sure which, as I’m not sure Keane went/stayed/left.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 14:50]

Yeah, I genuinely can't work out if Roy Keane was good-but-overrated or I just loathe him for being a dirty b*****d on the pitch and a pain in the goolies off it - would be interested in the views of any of the Republic fans here on the latter part.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 20:31 - Oct 26 with 1968 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 19:55 - Oct 26 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Forgot the obvious. The entire England team of the early 2000s. Over rated and over hyped.

Owen bloody Hargreaves

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:00 - Oct 26 with 1830 viewsPhilmyRs

Clarence Seedorf, Raul, Luis Enrique, Roberto Carlos, Darren Anderton, David Platt, Steve McManaman,
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:19 - Oct 26 with 1788 viewseastside_r

Sergio Ramos utter clogger.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:30 - Oct 26 with 1764 viewsMrSheen

Whoever Rangers thought was an upgrade on Balogun.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:31 - Oct 26 with 1763 viewshantssi

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 17:04 - Oct 26 by derbyhoop

United have had a fair number. Keane talked a better game than he played. Pogba. Played when he fancied it, which was about 1 in 4. Cavani.

And a controversial one, Beckham. Never won a tackle or a header, used his left foot to stand on. No great pace.

Can’t agree on Keane although he’s a horrible human being.
Watched him live for Man U against West Ham, he ran the show, absolutely everything went through him.
Remember the Champions League SF in 99 away at Juve?
Even though he was banned for the final he played like his life depended on it!
Current over rated, I have to agree about Mason Mount, I just can’t see what he add to a team.
Previously, Lee Dixon, if he wasn’t at Arsenal how many caps would he have won?
The answer I suspect, less than David Bardsley!!
Login to get fewer ads

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:44 - Oct 26 with 1742 viewsToast_R

Edgar Davids. What did he do except wear funky looking glasses?.
His passback which Jamie Mackie seized upon a career highlight.

Brian Robson. England spent nearly a decade building a team around someone who was rarely fit to play in the tournaments. Euro 88 he played in and England were terrible. Made stupid tackles writing cheques his body couldn't cash.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 23:25 - Oct 26 with 1676 viewsdistortR

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:38 - Oct 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

What makes a good player is complex.

Ability, personality, and circumstance all make up a good player.

I mentioned Keane.

He was a great player because of personality and circumstance. But in terms of ability was he great passer like Pirlo? Did he have the athleticism of Vieira? Did he get goals on Lampard's level? No.

If you took away his drive and having Giggs, Cantona, and Scholes around him I think we'd be looking at Joey Barton to be honest.

I think the media played a part too.

That said proof is in the pudding and he has a cabinet full of medals that you don't get by accident.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 13:38]

but maybe the reason Scholes did so much better for united than England is because he had Keane beside him?

Bloke was a detestable winner.

Disco mentioned Rickie Holden, now sadly alcohol beHolden over here. I just remember him as being one of the few players who could give David Bardsley a hard time.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 23:31 - Oct 26 with 1671 viewsNW5Hoop

Scotty Canham
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 23:54 - Oct 26 with 1645 viewsqueensparker

Someone said Zidane earlier in this thread?

Come the fk on. He was a sublime player, possibly my favourite ever, like a beefed-up Adel on Valium who did it week in week out for years and won World and European Cups.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 23:55 - Oct 26 with 1631 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 23:25 - Oct 26 by distortR

but maybe the reason Scholes did so much better for united than England is because he had Keane beside him?

Bloke was a detestable winner.

Disco mentioned Rickie Holden, now sadly alcohol beHolden over here. I just remember him as being one of the few players who could give David Bardsley a hard time.

‘Bloke was a detestable winner’

This cannot be denied
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 00:00 - Oct 27 with 1629 viewsSydneyRs

Lampard. As soon as he a wasn't surrounded by an expensively assembled support act he was exposed.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 00:04 - Oct 27 with 1621 viewsSydneyRs

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 13:05 - Oct 26 by wood_hoop

Alan 'Elbows' Shearer, I despised with a vengance, Emile Heskey might not have been the best forward that represented England. but he played with an unasuming honesty, took plenty of flack unfairly at times but just got on with it.

I know he broke scoring records but his arrogance was beyond belief at times, great players need to show a confidence in their abilities but a little humility can go a long way.

Shearer was brilliant in his younger days but was affected by a bad injury and later became the "elbows" style player you refer to. To be fair though I thought he adapted very well to losing that yard of pace and remained highly effective for the rest of his career. Contrast this with Michael Owen who really fell away after injury robbed him of pace.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 00:33 - Oct 27 with 1572 viewsMick_S

Steve McManaman. Very decent at times but a bit wafty, for me.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 03:23 - Oct 27 with 1529 viewsitsbiga

Andy Carroll, Joe Cole, Jack Wilshire.
crap.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 06:05 - Oct 27 with 1475 viewsHAYESBOY

Going back a bit.

Kevin Keegan
Trevor Brooking
Mick Shannon

More up to date.

Mount
Maguire
Trent Alexander
Henderson
Dier
Foden

Smells like a trout farm in here

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 06:18 - Oct 27 with 1466 viewsSimplyNico

Dele Ali.
Anyone playing for England under Graham Taylor.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 06:52 - Oct 27 with 1444 viewspaulparker

Agree with Shilton ,should have gone after 86 a very poor keeper in this period imo
Can I add Cantona to this ? Never ever saw the fuss with him, never did it it in Europe and was never really picked for France so it baffles me the people who called him world class

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 07:08 - Oct 27 with 1437 viewsDorse

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 06:05 - Oct 27 by HAYESBOY

Going back a bit.

Kevin Keegan
Trevor Brooking
Mick Shannon

More up to date.

Mount
Maguire
Trent Alexander
Henderson
Dier
Foden

Glad someone said Foden. Thought it was just me. I understand he must be better than most but I just don't get the hype. Now I've said that, he's nailed on to score 35 yd byclce kick against Argentina in the World Cup semi (which we'll lose on a VAR decision showing that, on reflection, Harry Maguire is, in fact, a pantomime horse)

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 07:40 - Oct 27 with 1386 viewsdistortR

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 07:08 - Oct 27 by Dorse

Glad someone said Foden. Thought it was just me. I understand he must be better than most but I just don't get the hype. Now I've said that, he's nailed on to score 35 yd byclce kick against Argentina in the World Cup semi (which we'll lose on a VAR decision showing that, on reflection, Harry Maguire is, in fact, a pantomime horse)

Yeah, I was thinking Foden too, generally I find him disappointing, a flat track bully.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 08:33 - Oct 27 with 1316 viewsWokingR

Every single current player who thinks he is worth more than £50,000 per week in wages.
I mean seriously, how much is enough ?
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 08:44 - Oct 27 with 1276 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 20:27 - Oct 26 by CiderwithRsie

Yeah, I genuinely can't work out if Roy Keane was good-but-overrated or I just loathe him for being a dirty b*****d on the pitch and a pain in the goolies off it - would be interested in the views of any of the Republic fans here on the latter part.

I'll try and answer this one.

On the field - I thought he could pass short, long, head, score, tackle, read the game and had reasonable pace. the only thing he was bad at was dribbling. Had to look at his feet all the time! For all of those positive qualities I wouldn't have ranked him great at any one of them. What made him a great player - and I would class him as a great player - was his mental skills. He was ultra-consistent, ultra-competitive and he made everyone around him play quicker, play better, play harder. And he did it himself.

Off the field - a really sound fella. I have countless stories of good turns he's done for less fortunate locals around Cork, including one that needs to be told over a pint but which I find astonishing.

Having said all that, while I admire so much about him he's not my cup o' scald. I prefer my heroes to be more unassuming. And the tackle on Haaland and the subsequent explanation is hard to understand.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 08:44 - Oct 27 with 1275 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Henderson as well for me.

I know he sometimes does some good things but I've never watched him and thought 'Top quality'.

Lee chapman was at an Iron Maiden afterparty at the 02 a few years ago (my mate knows Janick and I tagged along) so I'll give him kudos for that.

Peter Beardsley, great for Liverpool and Newcastle but I never warmed to him when watching England.
I was 18 when he got his last cap so maybe the young me didn't appreciate what he offered for England.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024