Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gamers Thread 09:43 - Mar 6 with 11025 viewsEsox_Lucius

We appear to have music covered off nicely, football definitely! help and advice threads, check, so next up... is anyone else a videogamer? I started off with an Atari Pong console, made my way through an Itellivision console to a BBC B which I still own and over the years I have had a Sega Saturn, PS1, 2 & 3 Nintendo Wii and various X Boxes up to my present Series S and during lockdown I treated my self to a full on gaming PC with Raccat Keyboard and Razer mouse.
In the last 25 years or so I have focussed mainly on RPG's, Openworld and sandbox games as I am absolutely crap at 1st & 3rd person shoot 'em ups.
If this thread gathers pace we can have discussions on favourite games, kit, tips & hints if needed. Go!
*Edit. I don't know how I forgot this; I spent over 2 years before Lockdown playing No Man's Sky with a few run throughs of The Outer Worlds chucked in.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 11:10]

The grass is always greener.

Gamers Thread on 10:00 - Mar 6 with 5218 viewsswisscottage

Are you me?

Pong.
Learnt to code basic on a Commodore Pet at school where I learnt basic by typing in games like hunt the wombat from magazines like PCW. Then ZX81 and acorn atom for coding and basic games, before my mum bought me a BBC model B and gaming stepped up to graphics games like Defender, and Galaxian, and some basic cRPGs and the first isometric RPGs like Knight Lore ( as I was already into D&D)

I then moved onto an Atari ST, and the first Football Manager games, as well as continuing on the RPG and Roguelikes, before I then build my first PC ( SX-25) and moved over to windows and dos games.. and onto my first MUDs as my first foray into multiplayer online games.

From then its been a progression through the Bethesda Elder Scrolls Games, a variety of mmorpgs ( my all-time favorite being Asheron's Call), and then ARPGs. since about 2014 my gaming has predominantly been Path of Exile, with a few other games like Elite Dangerous and Civ6 as fillers between seasons on PoE, but I've got into playing Skyrim again recently with a couple of preconfigured modlists which make the game fresh again.
Gamers Thread on 10:08 - Mar 6 with 5199 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gamers Thread on 10:00 - Mar 6 by swisscottage

Are you me?

Pong.
Learnt to code basic on a Commodore Pet at school where I learnt basic by typing in games like hunt the wombat from magazines like PCW. Then ZX81 and acorn atom for coding and basic games, before my mum bought me a BBC model B and gaming stepped up to graphics games like Defender, and Galaxian, and some basic cRPGs and the first isometric RPGs like Knight Lore ( as I was already into D&D)

I then moved onto an Atari ST, and the first Football Manager games, as well as continuing on the RPG and Roguelikes, before I then build my first PC ( SX-25) and moved over to windows and dos games.. and onto my first MUDs as my first foray into multiplayer online games.

From then its been a progression through the Bethesda Elder Scrolls Games, a variety of mmorpgs ( my all-time favorite being Asheron's Call), and then ARPGs. since about 2014 my gaming has predominantly been Path of Exile, with a few other games like Elite Dangerous and Civ6 as fillers between seasons on PoE, but I've got into playing Skyrim again recently with a couple of preconfigured modlists which make the game fresh again.

Wow, that almost is me. My last 10 years has been Terraria, Fable, all the Fallout series', Diablo, The Witcher (Best game ever) and the last year has been nearly all Genshin Impact.
I like pinball sims too. I didn't really get on with Elder Scrolls for some reason and hated Cyberpunk after the joys of The Witcher.

Gamers Thread on 10:12 - Mar 6 with 5185 viewsrobith

Love gaming, though I'm a cheapskate so I tend to play on a huge lag - wait for deals and offers and most importantly the bugs are gone.

Recently finished Jedi Fallen Order. Great to see a total solo player game do so well, the combat was really janky but the story and the characters were great. The finale is amazing.

Got a gaming laptop during lockdown and been working my way through 10+ years of strategy games I missed without one. Current obsessions are Cities Skylines and Napoleon Total War
Gamers Thread on 10:26 - Mar 6 with 5156 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Football Manager for me.

Been semi unemployed since October so done a lot of hours. I’m a purist and never quit and re start which I understand is a source of raging debate in the football manager community. I’ve been a three club man going from Barry Town in Wales, to AFC Wimbledon, and I’m no the proud manager of QPR usually finishing between 3rd or 6th.

Probably could be a thread on it’s own.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 10:29]
Gamers Thread on 10:38 - Mar 6 with 5126 viewsmikeygunn

Been a gamer all my life from Amstrad to PS5. I’m 42 now but essentially a big child. I love Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Tomb Raider amongst many many others. I tend to wait a couple of years for the offers and bug fixes a bit like an earlier poster. Currently working my way through games from 2018. But more that a couple of years actually 😳
Gamers Thread on 11:12 - Mar 6 with 5086 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gamers Thread on 10:38 - Mar 6 by mikeygunn

Been a gamer all my life from Amstrad to PS5. I’m 42 now but essentially a big child. I love Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Tomb Raider amongst many many others. I tend to wait a couple of years for the offers and bug fixes a bit like an earlier poster. Currently working my way through games from 2018. But more that a couple of years actually 😳

Definitely worth waiting until a few patches and updates have taken place before buying except in the case of Cyberpunk 2077. I waited around 18 months after release and it was still a pile of Kenilworth Road to play.

Gamers Thread on 11:20 - Mar 6 with 5077 viewspeterlund_dk

I started off on a Commodore 64, moved on to the Commodore Amiga, before I switched to PC. Past 5 years have been gaming on the PS4 with my kids, and we just recently moved to PS5.

On the Amiga, I remember playing games from Cinemaware such as Wings, It Came from the Desert, TV Sports Basketball, Defender of the Crown, and started moving towards MicroProse/Sid Meier sim games. This intensified when I moved to PC, playing Pirates! Gold, Railroad Tycoon, Civilization, Colonization. I also did a lot of Football Manager, and my love for QPR actually started with Championship Manager 93. I dropped out of FM around 2005 though, when I had wife and kids and my gaming time magically disappeared.

Now on PS, I mainly play couch co-op games with my kids. I have tried to get into PGA Golf, World of Warships, F1, etc. on PS, but none of it stuck. The only game I have played for my self regularly is Just Cause 4.
Gamers Thread on 12:55 - Mar 6 with 4997 viewshubble

I know next to nothing about computer gaming, so it may seem bizarre that many moons ago was employed as a sales manager for a software developer based in West Hampstead. Well, what can I say, I talked a good talk.
Anyway, the reason I'm mentioning this here is that I got to go to GDC in San Francisco twice and also Cologne and Malmo.

At my first GDC I probably knew less about games than the people serving me coffee, let alone anyone at the conference. But I'm good at conencting to people and one afternoon I found myself chatting to this friendly bearded chap in the chill-out zone. Pretty soon I'd arranged for him to see a demo of our software. I had no idea who he was, but the techies nearly spat out their tea when I told them we had a meeting with Warren Spector. It was only then I realised I had arranged a meeting with the 'Steven Spielberg' of gaming. You guys have probably heard of him though.

Sadly, although I was a decent playmaker, the rest of the company was like our strike force - I'd set them up, but they just couldn't score. Apparently our games engine was so good, no one could understand it. Not long after that I got us an in at the company that did 3D motion capture for Disney. We were *that* close to providing the engine for them. I could smell the millions. Didn't happen. So QPR. Anyway, carry on.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Login to get fewer ads

Gamers Thread on 13:19 - Mar 6 with 4943 viewsPunteR

Sinclair ZX Spectrum. - Robocop,Batman,Commando, R-Type, Emlyn Hughes soccer.
Sega Megadrive - Altered Beast, Sonic Hedghog. Castle Illusions, Golden Axe,
Nintendo 64- Goldeneye
PlayStation 1,2,3- TombRaiders , medal of Honor, CoD. Metal Gear Solid
I just play messageboard wars these days just to pass the time.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 13:21]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Gamers Thread on 13:21 - Mar 6 with 4940 viewsslmrstid

I've played games since childhood though I've never been one for the RPG/network play.

I remember having a Sega Mega Drive when I was a kid - that was my first console - Super Monaco GP was a great game (and can still be played on the internet on an emulator alongside a host of others that I used to play - Super Hang On, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage...)

Loved Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails being the reason foxes are my favourite animal.

Shared a Playstation with my sister in teenage years - the classic FIFA football games (not really played since FIFA 2004 though when they included lower leagues for the first time and QPR were on it). Actua Soccer used to be ace, Spyro the Dragon, TOCA Touring Cars, Gran Turismo...ah the memories.

Still got our PS2 at home although its mostly used as a DVD player now.

I was very much a Championship Manager/Football Manager addict and whilst I still play the classic CM01-02 from time to time I gave up buying the new ones after FM2010 - they just became too complicated and too time consuming to play and I see FM related stuff on Reddit occasionally and nothing I see encourages me to give the new ones a go - they look even worse now. CM/FM was great as escapism but the more layers they've tried to add in the more they've made it into another job, rather than a fun thing. Not for me.

I've always liked NASCAR games too and thats my main gaming at the moment on my laptop - would love to see a real race one day. iRacing looks like it could be fun but I think you'd need to invest a lot of money into good equipment, and network connections, to do it. I also have zero technical car knowledge so again probably be a bit too in-depth for me.
Gamers Thread on 13:25 - Mar 6 with 4919 viewsPunteR

Gamers Thread on 13:21 - Mar 6 by slmrstid

I've played games since childhood though I've never been one for the RPG/network play.

I remember having a Sega Mega Drive when I was a kid - that was my first console - Super Monaco GP was a great game (and can still be played on the internet on an emulator alongside a host of others that I used to play - Super Hang On, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage...)

Loved Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails being the reason foxes are my favourite animal.

Shared a Playstation with my sister in teenage years - the classic FIFA football games (not really played since FIFA 2004 though when they included lower leagues for the first time and QPR were on it). Actua Soccer used to be ace, Spyro the Dragon, TOCA Touring Cars, Gran Turismo...ah the memories.

Still got our PS2 at home although its mostly used as a DVD player now.

I was very much a Championship Manager/Football Manager addict and whilst I still play the classic CM01-02 from time to time I gave up buying the new ones after FM2010 - they just became too complicated and too time consuming to play and I see FM related stuff on Reddit occasionally and nothing I see encourages me to give the new ones a go - they look even worse now. CM/FM was great as escapism but the more layers they've tried to add in the more they've made it into another job, rather than a fun thing. Not for me.

I've always liked NASCAR games too and thats my main gaming at the moment on my laptop - would love to see a real race one day. iRacing looks like it could be fun but I think you'd need to invest a lot of money into good equipment, and network connections, to do it. I also have zero technical car knowledge so again probably be a bit too in-depth for me.

Grand Tourismo was a great game. Tekken2 another. Street Fighter.

Gamers Thread on 13:43 - Mar 6 with 4891 viewsMetallica_Hoop

ZX Spectrum 48k first then an Atari ST. (Player Manager was king with Battle Of Britain by Lucasfilm)

I play World of Warships and Tanks with friends and Empyrion Galactic survival on Spanj's server.

Football Manager and Total War Games (though the new ones have too much diplomacy) and I love 7 days to die. Especially starting again after an update.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Gamers Thread on 14:17 - Mar 6 with 4836 viewsSonofpugwash

Nothing enirely replaces Doom for me,but this looks rather interesting.....

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Gamers Thread on 14:23 - Mar 6 with 4827 viewsJuzzie

Despite being older to know better I have always and still play on the PS though playing FIFA22 with my 8 year old is a nightmare, he has more tantrums than Bruno Fernandes!! So, of course, I do my best to win but he is actually getting better than me anyway.

Never really been interested in football games, went to QPR enough for that, but general like the 1st/3rd person shooters/open world, currently the likes of Far Cry, GTA5, Last Of Us, Days Gone, Fallout, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty etc.
Did all the original Tomb Raiders, really like the puzzles but as the graphics got better it changed to more of a storyline game.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 17:46]
Gamers Thread on 14:34 - Mar 6 with 4802 viewsBluce_Ree

Gamers Thread on 13:19 - Mar 6 by PunteR

Sinclair ZX Spectrum. - Robocop,Batman,Commando, R-Type, Emlyn Hughes soccer.
Sega Megadrive - Altered Beast, Sonic Hedghog. Castle Illusions, Golden Axe,
Nintendo 64- Goldeneye
PlayStation 1,2,3- TombRaiders , medal of Honor, CoD. Metal Gear Solid
I just play messageboard wars these days just to pass the time.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 13:21]

Nice. I loved the Speccy. Robocop and Batman were great.

I went Amiga, SNES, PS1, PS2, Xbox 360, PS4, PS5 in terms of my main consoles.

I've been reviewing games for a long time which is good because you get lots of them for free. The downside is that there are a lot of rubbish ones.

Currently playing through Strange Brigade which is alright. A shooter set in colonial times. Good sense of humour.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Gamers Thread on 14:52 - Mar 6 with 4771 viewsToast_R

Started with Atari 2600 - then on to Amstrad CPC 464. Stand outs were Platoon and Star Wars arcade. Atari ST - Kick off 2 and Player Manager which were possibly the best football games of all time.

Since had Megadrive, PS1, 2, 3, 4 and now 5. Just finished Forbidden West, a true masterpiece of a game. Looking forward to GTA6 when it happens

Also have had a gaming PC since 2006 and bought a new one in 2017 - upgraded the GPU a couple of times.

Before marriage and kids I was heavily into WOW for a long time which I was reasonably late to the party on but it was the game I'd been looking for since Megadrive Ultima 4 days.

Have recently purchased Hell Let Loose which is a FPS game for adults. Total noob I admit and I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm getting there. Heavily reliant on party comms so its good to chill out on on an evening after the kids have gone to bed and the wife is into one of her series on the TV. A chance to practice your language skills and I often find the German players are the most friendly.

I often tell my son and my fiends kids that they are lucky with the games and consoles they have now because it was my generation that were pioneers to the gaming market and we suffered awful video gaming so they can enjoy what they have today. Falls on deaf ears obviously.
Gamers Thread on 15:00 - Mar 6 with 4753 viewsBluce_Ree

Toast, the thing is back then we'd play lots of games. kids today play like three games the whole time. It's so dull. Fifa, Fortnite etc. What's the point.

I bought a Switch but barely ever use it. That said, Loop Hero on it was amazing and I played that to death.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Gamers Thread on 15:08 - Mar 6 with 4730 viewsToast_R

Gamers Thread on 15:00 - Mar 6 by Bluce_Ree

Toast, the thing is back then we'd play lots of games. kids today play like three games the whole time. It's so dull. Fifa, Fortnite etc. What's the point.

I bought a Switch but barely ever use it. That said, Loop Hero on it was amazing and I played that to death.

I know mate I really riles me. My son spends a lot of time as most kids do his age, playing bloody Fortnite. A free game you say? But then he's always asking me for credit so he buy the latest "Battle pass" or some new "Skins" they've just release. Epic Games have come up with an absolute cash cow with that game. Kids will buy that shit all day long. £Millions. Back in our day the game was the game and if was shite you'd be in denial for a while before never wasting your time with it again.

We weren't totally innocent though, If your were like me... 70% of your games collection in the late 80s early 90s were pirated... Killed the ST and Amiga market, I'm not going to lie.
Gamers Thread on 15:23 - Mar 6 with 4712 viewslarsricchi

Growing up: Atari 2600 --> Nintendo Entertainment System --> Sega Genesis

Adulthood: PC gaming --> PS1 --> PS2 -- Nintendo Wii (we had kid) --> Xbox360 --> PS4

My friends: Intellivision (as an Atari kid, I was so envious); Magnavox Odyssey2

My favorite games over the years: Yar's Revenge (2600), Legend of Zelda (NES), PGA Tour II (Genesis), Championship Manager (90s)/Football Manager (the last 15 years or so), Final Fantasy VII (PS1), Red Dead Redemption II (PS4), The Last of Us (PS4)

RDR2 is absolutely my favorite game of all time. Arthur Morgan is the perfect flawed hero. And The Last of Us was fantastic; I'm so relieved the HBO adaptation has been so good.

Along the lines of Football Manager, I have become a fan of "Out of the Park," a baseball general manager game.
Gamers Thread on 17:07 - Mar 6 with 4658 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gamers Thread on 14:23 - Mar 6 by Juzzie

Despite being older to know better I have always and still play on the PS though playing FIFA22 with my 8 year old is a nightmare, he has more tantrums than Bruno Fernandes!! So, of course, I do my best to win but he is actually getting better than me anyway.

Never really been interested in football games, went to QPR enough for that, but general like the 1st/3rd person shooters/open world, currently the likes of Far Cry, GTA5, Last Of Us, Days Gone, Fallout, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty etc.
Did all the original Tomb Raiders, really like the puzzles but as the graphics got better it changed to more of a storyline game.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 17:46]

If you like puzzles then The Secret Of Monkey Island from the 90's? was a belter, along with Simon The Sorcerer from the same period. The one I am currently playing, Genshin Impact, has some of the most difficult puzzles I have ever encountered in a game, I usually end up on Youtube thinking WTF after seeing what the solution was.

Gamers Thread on 17:18 - Mar 6 with 4641 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This is going to be very good I think.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Gamers Thread on 17:47 - Mar 6 with 4609 viewslarsricchi

I forgot to mention my true introduction to home video games: STUNT CYCLE

I loved that game ... until I broke off the right handlebar (from overuse? or from rage?). So began a long history of controller abuse.
Gamers Thread on 18:25 - Mar 6 with 4562 viewsPunteR

Gamers Thread on 15:00 - Mar 6 by Bluce_Ree

The other thing about old skool gaming was you had no memory card. You've got 3 lives, that's it! Yeh you could pick up credits or whatever but once you start your locked in till you either die or complete the game. Hugely frustrating sometimes but part of the fun. Robocop and Batman only had 5 levels for example but once you're on that last level, shit got real..!.. lol

Gamers Thread on 19:00 - Mar 6 with 4530 viewsslmrstid

Gamers Thread on 18:25 - Mar 6 by PunteR

The other thing about old skool gaming was you had no memory card. You've got 3 lives, that's it! Yeh you could pick up credits or whatever but once you start your locked in till you either die or complete the game. Hugely frustrating sometimes but part of the fun. Robocop and Batman only had 5 levels for example but once you're on that last level, shit got real..!.. lol

I remember some of the old Mega Drive games that had "passwords" where you could note down this enormous grid of characters and then enter them all in when you next turned your machine on to pick up from where you left off.

Only as an adult do I realise that was, effectively/sort of, writing code to write the game to be at that point. Clever stuff.
Gamers Thread on 19:04 - Mar 6 with 4519 viewsRangersw12

Gamers Thread on 10:26 - Mar 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Football Manager for me.

Been semi unemployed since October so done a lot of hours. I’m a purist and never quit and re start which I understand is a source of raging debate in the football manager community. I’ve been a three club man going from Barry Town in Wales, to AFC Wimbledon, and I’m no the proud manager of QPR usually finishing between 3rd or 6th.

Probably could be a thread on it’s own.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 10:29]

I've played all the Championship Manager / FM games over the years

Currently have a save with Vitesse Arnhem where I'm. In the 3rd season and just got to the Group Stage of Europa Conference also a sliding door save where I applied and got the recently relegated QPR job in summer of 24/25 season so basically have 2 saves on the go

Top of league 1 and managed to sell Dykes for 11 million!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024