Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gamers Thread 09:43 - Mar 6 with 11173 viewsEsox_Lucius

We appear to have music covered off nicely, football definitely! help and advice threads, check, so next up... is anyone else a videogamer? I started off with an Atari Pong console, made my way through an Itellivision console to a BBC B which I still own and over the years I have had a Sega Saturn, PS1, 2 & 3 Nintendo Wii and various X Boxes up to my present Series S and during lockdown I treated my self to a full on gaming PC with Raccat Keyboard and Razer mouse.
In the last 25 years or so I have focussed mainly on RPG's, Openworld and sandbox games as I am absolutely crap at 1st & 3rd person shoot 'em ups.
If this thread gathers pace we can have discussions on favourite games, kit, tips & hints if needed. Go!
*Edit. I don't know how I forgot this; I spent over 2 years before Lockdown playing No Man's Sky with a few run throughs of The Outer Worlds chucked in.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 11:10]

The grass is always greener.

Gamers Thread on 00:22 - Mar 9 with 2128 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gamers Thread on 19:04 - Mar 6 by Rangersw12

I've played all the Championship Manager / FM games over the years

Currently have a save with Vitesse Arnhem where I'm. In the 3rd season and just got to the Group Stage of Europa Conference also a sliding door save where I applied and got the recently relegated QPR job in summer of 24/25 season so basically have 2 saves on the go

Top of league 1 and managed to sell Dykes for 11 million!!!

Good stuff.

I love a good FM story.

Positive position for QPR. Finally got that stadium built too. No idea if the board charged us to get some signage up for it though.

Gamers Thread on 02:13 - Mar 9 with 2079 viewsbob566

Vic20 was my first. Gorf I think was the game. Then commodore 64. Anyone remember forbidden forest?
Gamers Thread on 14:22 - Mar 9 with 1983 viewsBluce_Ree

Gamers Thread on 02:13 - Mar 9 by bob566

Vic20 was my first. Gorf I think was the game. Then commodore 64. Anyone remember forbidden forest?

I don't remember Forbidden Forest but I do remember Gorf from the arcades. It was a shoot 'em up a bit like Phoenix.

Arcade games were where it was at.

Bomb Jack
Donkey Kong (the original one)
Sunset Riders
Kung Fu Master
Rolling Thunder

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Gamers Thread on 14:47 - Mar 9 with 1968 viewslarsricchi

"The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" is 15 years old, but remains very entertaining. The Twin Galaxies arcade was in my home state.

[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 14:48]
Gamers Thread on 16:23 - Mar 9 with 1931 viewsBluce_Ree

That's a fun documentary.

There's been so much sketchiness since though. All of Billy Mitchell's scores are in doubt.

Gamers Thread on 17:56 - Mar 9 with 1913 viewsbaz_qpr

ZX81 > Spectrum > AtariST > Sega Megadrive > N64 > Gamecube > PS2 >PS3 >PS4 > PS5

Is my gaming journey loved footie games but hated Fifa, So Match Day on the spectrum Kick Off 2 / Player Manager on the Atari (better than sensible for me) ISS on the Nintendo which became Pro Evo on the PS - Wasted many years on Championship Manage / Football Manager (and some predecessors over the years) Love action RPG and couch co-op hate mass multiplayer games. Elder Scrolls (Oblivion / Skyrim), Fallout games, Mass Effect, Witcher 3 etc Favourite games on next gen so far It Takes Two, Death Stranding (Controversial) currently 2/4s through the new God of War
Gamers Thread on 18:36 - Mar 9 with 1900 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Gamers Thread on 17:56 - Mar 9 by baz_qpr

ZX81 > Spectrum > AtariST > Sega Megadrive > N64 > Gamecube > PS2 >PS3 >PS4 > PS5

Is my gaming journey loved footie games but hated Fifa, So Match Day on the spectrum Kick Off 2 / Player Manager on the Atari (better than sensible for me) ISS on the Nintendo which became Pro Evo on the PS - Wasted many years on Championship Manage / Football Manager (and some predecessors over the years) Love action RPG and couch co-op hate mass multiplayer games. Elder Scrolls (Oblivion / Skyrim), Fallout games, Mass Effect, Witcher 3 etc Favourite games on next gen so far It Takes Two, Death Stranding (Controversial) currently 2/4s through the new God of War

Loved Player Manager,you could take your team and play Kick Off 2 with them. Fantastic games.

One other game I loved, not sure if it has been mentioned, SPEEDBALL 2. A Classic.
Gamers Thread on 18:38 - Mar 9 with 1899 viewsBluce_Ree

I always preferred Sensible Soccer but especially a few years ago when Dino Dini put out a new Kick Off game and took massive exception to me giving it a bad review. He ended up recording a whole podcast about it!

Login to get fewer ads

Gamers Thread on 18:59 - Mar 9 with 1888 viewsSuperhoops2808

Gamers Thread on 10:49 - Mar 8 by Esox_Lucius

Gaming history:
BBC B Elite. Castle Quest. Grand Prix.
Commodore(s) Repton. Zack McCracken. Secret Of Monkey Island. Simon The Sorceror.
PS1 Diablo. Gran Turismo. Dragon Quest
X Box Fable (all of them) Need For Speed.
Xbox 360 Star Wars. Forza. Fable (again) Need For Speed (again)
X Box One S The Witcher (1,2, &3) Fallout (all of them). Diablo III. Terraria (a game that requires a good knowledge of Boolean logic for some aspects of the gameplay). No Mans Sky & The Outer Worlds.
Gaming PC The Witcher series reboots and Genshin Impact.

You mention Elite too

The remake on the PC & Playstation is very good too.
Gamers Thread on 19:59 - Mar 9 with 1864 viewsPunteR

No ones mentioned the Nintendo Wii.
Bought it for my kids but I never got on with it. (Or the kids)

Xbox with Halo Reach was good and probably the last game I played that I really got into.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Gamers Thread on 20:15 - Mar 9 with 1863 viewsSuperhoops2808

Gamers Thread on 19:59 - Mar 9 by PunteR

Xbox with Halo Reach was good and probably the last game I played that I really got into.

Thats why no one mentioned it

Gamers Thread on 20:54 - Mar 9 with 1851 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gamers Thread on 18:59 - Mar 9 by Superhoops2808

You mention Elite too

The remake on the PC & Playstation is very good too.

Does the gameplay bear any resemblance to the original? I still remember the horrors of matching the rotation of my ship to the rotation of the station entrance.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 8:07]

Gamers Thread on 17:40 - Mar 11 with 1748 viewsSuperhoops2808

Gamers Thread on 20:54 - Mar 9 by Esox_Lucius

Does the gameplay bear any resemblance to the original? I still remember the horrors of matching the rotation of my ship to the rotation of the station entrance.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 8:07]

Watch this

I think you may be very tempted

You can even still buy a docking computer... Remember that
Gamers Thread on 11:21 - Mar 18 with 1621 viewsToast_R

RIP Lance Reddick

https://www.ign.com/articles/lance-reddick-star-of-the-wire-and-john-wick-dies-a

The Horizon games will not be the same without him lending his unmistakable voice.
Gamers Thread on 12:06 - Mar 18 with 1593 viewsMetallica_Hoop

We played tennis really drunk at a party on the Wii (think thats the one where the controller is the racket) you really had to concentrate on keeping the contoller in your hand lest it launched across the room.

Fun though!

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Gamers Thread on 13:38 - Mar 18 with 1543 viewsstinkydad

No one's mentioned the 3DO either. I loved it - particularly Road Rash.

Also had a Commodore64, ZX Spectrum, various Playstations, Wii and have been PC gaming since the i386 days.

Early favourites were Elite, Silent Service, Daley Thompson's Decathlon, Sensible Soccer and Chuckie Egg.
Gamers Thread on 13:49 - Mar 18 with 1538 viewsBoston

Hard to believe, half this boards 'on the game'. Tough times indeed.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Gamers Thread on 14:56 - Mar 18 with 1512 viewsswisscottage

Gamers Thread on 17:40 - Mar 11 by Superhoops2808

Watch this

I played it a bit a few years ago. Just waiting for the next gen VR headsets this year before I get into it again and give it some proper play time.... until Starfield in September that is.
Gamers Thread on 18:00 - Mar 28 with 1433 viewsBluce_Ree

Finished Strange Brigade, the utterly crashy unreliable POS that it was.

I fired up Rainbow Six Extraction expecting to hate it. I did hate it for a good hour but I've warmed to it now. Bite-sized chapters of good tactical shooting action. Decent.

Gamers Thread on 18:49 - Mar 28 with 1408 viewsHooping_Mad

I'll have a go

I can't list my hardware history as 30 yrs working in IT has given me access to a lot of it.

I do remember my first computer as a spectrum +3, but before that I helped my dad who ran a Rumbelows store if your old enough to remember one of those, if not ask your dad, to demonstrate/flog Amstrad CP464's. First PC was a 386 I built myself.

Games though, my passion starting in 'IT' when I learned how to crack and pirate Amiga games and selling them round school so I could buy cigarettes and bus fare. Favourites were Speedball & Speedball 2 and Probably the finest game ever made: The secret of Monkey Island. It stole my heart at age 10 and the remake of it did such a good job I played it all over again.

Other notable mentions:
Lemmings
Gods
Pang
Bubble Bobble
Gaunlet
Golden Axe
WWF Wrestlefest (arcade only - unless your itk)
Rome: Total war series
Command & Conquer
Geoff Crammond F1
COD: The good ones

Probably spent hours of my life on others and I can't even remember their names

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Gamers Thread on 08:04 - Mar 29 with 1300 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gamers Thread on 17:40 - Mar 11 by Superhoops2808

Watch this

The graphics look good but I have been reading up and researching the game and it appears to be a very toxic community around it. Lots of gankers and glitchers so I'm out. Shame, the original was such an addictive game.

Gamers Thread on 08:14 - Mar 29 with 1290 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gamers Thread on 17:56 - Mar 9 by baz_qpr

Did you play all three Witcher games? or just the third? Witcher 3 with the 2 DLC is my favourite game ever and I have bought the remastered set to play on my PC for when I get done with Genshin Impact. The gameplay and storyline are just unbeatable IMO.

Gamers Thread on 08:26 - Mar 29 with 1283 viewsRamseyR

Space Invaders mid 70s.
Defender late 70s but couldn't handle that many buttons at once, so gave up.
Never played a game since
Gamers Thread on 09:41 - Mar 29 with 1260 viewsToast_R

The Wife bought me the New Resident Evil 4 remake. I have to say, the original on PS2 was an absolute classic , possibly the PS2's greatest game and this new re-build on latest gen does not disappoint. Such a good game. Nails hard but so addictive and clever.

Get it.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 9:43]
Gamers Thread on 10:01 - Mar 29 with 1238 viewsrobith

Anyone played Horizon Zero Dawn? Started it as trying to finish all my PS4 games before I get a 5 and despaired to see it's stealth based. I hate stealth games. Will I hate it or is it workable?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024