Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gamers Thread 09:43 - Mar 6 with 11174 viewsEsox_Lucius

We appear to have music covered off nicely, football definitely! help and advice threads, check, so next up... is anyone else a videogamer? I started off with an Atari Pong console, made my way through an Itellivision console to a BBC B which I still own and over the years I have had a Sega Saturn, PS1, 2 & 3 Nintendo Wii and various X Boxes up to my present Series S and during lockdown I treated my self to a full on gaming PC with Raccat Keyboard and Razer mouse.
In the last 25 years or so I have focussed mainly on RPG's, Openworld and sandbox games as I am absolutely crap at 1st & 3rd person shoot 'em ups.
If this thread gathers pace we can have discussions on favourite games, kit, tips & hints if needed. Go!
*Edit. I don't know how I forgot this; I spent over 2 years before Lockdown playing No Man's Sky with a few run throughs of The Outer Worlds chucked in.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 11:10]

The grass is always greener.

Gamers Thread on 10:27 - Mar 29 with 1667 viewsJeff

Gamers Thread on 10:01 - Mar 29 by robith

Anyone played Horizon Zero Dawn? Started it as trying to finish all my PS4 games before I get a 5 and despaired to see it's stealth based. I hate stealth games. Will I hate it or is it workable?

It's not full stealth based, but you use stealth to get the drop on the robots, before engaging full on button bashing mode.

you can just play it full Rambo mode if you want to though...

Can we not knock it?

Gamers Thread on 10:27 - Mar 29 with 1667 viewsBluce_Ree

HZD isn't all that stealthy. It has a bit but it's not a Splinter Cell. I liked it although it did drag on a bit. Story was good.

Resi 4 remake looks interesting. Resi 4 on GC/PS2 is one of my top three games ever. I played the demo and the only thing I'm struggling with is that headshots don't outright kill people. So it is a bit tough with such limited ammo.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Gamers Thread on 11:05 - Mar 29 with 1654 viewsrobith

Cheers guys. Was a lot of hiding in the tutorial bits and I feared the worst, but I'll perservere if I can work around it
Gamers Thread on 12:03 - Mar 29 with 1625 viewsToast_R

Gamers Thread on 11:05 - Mar 29 by robith

Cheers guys. Was a lot of hiding in the tutorial bits and I feared the worst, but I'll perservere if I can work around it

HZD is a genuine master piece of a game. Great story and beautiful graphics.

Its a bit stealthy but also more about shooting accuracy. You can tune Aloy into which method of attack you prefer by upping your skill levels to suit. One thing I will say is that on Normal or above mode it's bastard hard as the machines get bigger and more powerful.. That is until you unlock the Shield Weaver outfit which is a real game changer. There is a YT video somewhere which shows how you can unlock it at the beginning of the game rather than near the end.

I've completed both HZD and FW and they are wonderful games.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 12:05]
Gamers Thread on 13:34 - Apr 18 with 1504 viewsBluce_Ree

Vampire Survivors is sensational. Oddly I played through it on my phone (Android) rather than the PC or Xbox versions. Anyway, it has some new DLC. The DLC is pretty shortlived if you've completed the main game but it's a fun distraction.

Gamers Thread on 17:50 - Apr 18 with 1440 viewsbaz_qpr

HZD is very good the new one Horizon Forbidden West is even better
Gamers Thread on 19:54 - Apr 18 with 1390 viewsToast_R

Completed RE4 remake. What a game, addictive, marvellous fun. An absolute love letter to the original.
Gamers Thread on 15:27 - Apr 19 with 1324 viewsBluce_Ree

Gamers Thread on 19:54 - Apr 18 by Toast_R

Completed RE4 remake. What a game, addictive, marvellous fun. An absolute love letter to the original.

The original is one of my fave ever games. I should get onto the remake I guess.

Login to get fewer ads

Gamers Thread on 08:59 - May 11 with 1246 viewsBluce_Ree

I tried a couple of games. Doom 3. Man, I hate the Doom games with their stupid mazey levels. Also, FPS games from 20 years ago all look and play horribly.

But I also tried Zombi. It's a Ubisoft game that came out on the Wii U (LOL) and was ported to the PS4. It looks like shit but it's got a good concept. You're a survivor who finds a safe room. A voice on a radio is trying to guide you to safety, so you follow his instructions. You'll be finding items, opening up doors and quick travel points. All good.

But run into like four zombies in one go and you'll likely eat shit. So then you die. You'll then play as another random survivor who has to find the previous survivor (now a zombie), kill them and loot your shit back.

It's very tense but sort of compelling. I'm into it I think.

Just reviewed Wild Dogs (a cheap and cheerful Contra rip off) and a port of Zool, the old Amiga game.

Gamers Thread on 09:07 - Jul 4 with 1100 viewsBluce_Ree

Been playing Aliens: Dark Descent. It's so good to have an Aliens game that's not a generic FPS. This one nails the feel of the film. Especially the panic when a bunch of aliens run in and before long you've got a marine being carried away, another missing a leg and the other two traumatised. I like it a lot.

It's a bit buggy at the moment and the difficult spikes are a bit much but otherwise it's good.

Gamers Thread on 09:12 - Jul 4 with 1077 viewsToast_R

Conan Exiles, I'm massively late to this game but having tried it out, its very addictive.
Gamers Thread on 14:13 - Jul 4 with 1000 viewsSheffieldHoop

I primarily play FM on Laptop
Still on FM 22, stopped buying it every year, but got from 09 to 16, 18, 20 and 22 on my Steam library. Sometimes install and play older versions (They also run better on work laptops ), 11 is a bit of a fave for obvious reasons. Somebody has also done a fairly decent 03/04 database for the newer versions which you can get from the Steam workshop. Heavy going on the CPU tho.
I've just had a long break from FM but started a new save in April, so far taken York City from Vanarama North into the Championship in 11 seasons, with no relegations, but quite a few playoff defeats.
Flight Sim and Age Of Empires are the others I play a bit on PC, but not for a while. I quietly wanna build a gaming PC (mainly for FS2020) but every time I talk about it my Mrs tells me I need to get a life.

In terms of consoles, I had my dad's SNES with Super Mario Bros, an old Sega I got given to play Zelda on, but never really loved it....Eventually nagged mum into getting me a PS2 in time for Fifa 04 and then I went Xbox 360 > PS4. Have thought about upgrading to PS5 but seems like too much hassle and I don't really get the time these days. When I did, I mainly played sports simulation games. Fifa, NBA 2K, Madden, Fight Night, Cricket, Rugby, Racing....Love(d) them all. More recently I've been trying to get good at the Isle Of Man TT game but fck me it's difficult. Genuinely think doing it on a real bike is easier than on the game, although the consequences of crashing do somewhat negate that. GTA5 is probably my ultimate console game. I do wonder if GTA's best days are in the past now, GTA Online has really left me behind. I'm about 40% of the way through RDR2 and not sure I'll ever get around to completing it.

Big fan of Big Ant games from down under, they have the licence for cricket and rugby league and make decent games out of both IMO. Obviously not really comparable with Fifa in scale, but I'm happy EA has lost the FIFA Licence as they'd been sitting far too comfortably on it for far too long IMO.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Gamers Thread on 11:37 - Dec 5 with 673 viewsToast_R

Coming 2025, a long wait.
Gamers Thread on 11:41 - Dec 5 with 667 viewsSuperhoops2808

Gamers Thread on 11:37 - Dec 5 by Toast_R

Coming 2025, a long wait.

Watched it all unfold last night in the leak. Gotta feel for Rockstar as they cannot keep anything secret.

I also think it will be 2026 if not Dec 2025. By saying 2025 gives them a huge window to mess around with. No mention of which quarter either
Gamers Thread on 11:56 - Dec 5 with 636 viewsToast_R

I'm surprised they don't have pressure from a few tetchy share holders who want to see a return on this seeing as it's been 10 years since GTA 5 and 5 years since RDR2. I guess they must still be creaming off GTA 5 online to keep them happy for now.

There's nothing worse than a buggy release that require multiple patches to get near playable so hopefully, when it does hit the shelves, it will be well worth the hype.
Gamers Thread on 12:02 - Dec 5 with 625 viewsGaryBannister86

Apropos of nothing, I was in the same class as one of the guys who went on to invent and write GTA and owned Rockstar Games. He was a complete Dennis Wise and always remember playing in a school football match with him, I was on same side and he took a shot that clearly went through the side netting. He insisted it was a goal and in those days one's word was one's bond....cheating ****.

Still, he went on to buy the most expensive residential house in LA or something and I......didn't.
Gamers Thread on 13:45 - Dec 5 with 537 viewsSuperhoops2808

Gamers Thread on 11:56 - Dec 5 by Toast_R

I'm surprised they don't have pressure from a few tetchy share holders who want to see a return on this seeing as it's been 10 years since GTA 5 and 5 years since RDR2. I guess they must still be creaming off GTA 5 online to keep them happy for now.

There's nothing worse than a buggy release that require multiple patches to get near playable so hopefully, when it does hit the shelves, it will be well worth the hype.

So much success from the online side of it that if that can be recreated with GTA 6 they will be happy with that. I remember queuing at midnight to get GTA 5, not sure I will be for this one - Have purchased most via the PS Store now

What makes me laugh is the meltdown online at the fact its a woman as one of the main characters - Some people need to get a grip
Gamers Thread on 14:05 - Dec 5 with 511 viewsBluce_Ree

I liked GTA5 having not really cared much for the other games in the series. So I'm up for this one. Trailer looked alright.

I just finished Robocop: Rogue City. It's sort of amazing in that it feels so close to the first film. It nails the feel. Drags on about ten hours too long though.

Gamers Thread on 14:46 - Dec 10 with 363 viewsRangersw12

Gamers Thread on 14:13 - Jul 4 by SheffieldHoop

I primarily play FM on Laptop
Still on FM 22, stopped buying it every year, but got from 09 to 16, 18, 20 and 22 on my Steam library. Sometimes install and play older versions (They also run better on work laptops ), 11 is a bit of a fave for obvious reasons. Somebody has also done a fairly decent 03/04 database for the newer versions which you can get from the Steam workshop. Heavy going on the CPU tho.
I've just had a long break from FM but started a new save in April, so far taken York City from Vanarama North into the Championship in 11 seasons, with no relegations, but quite a few playoff defeats.
Flight Sim and Age Of Empires are the others I play a bit on PC, but not for a while. I quietly wanna build a gaming PC (mainly for FS2020) but every time I talk about it my Mrs tells me I need to get a life.

In terms of consoles, I had my dad's SNES with Super Mario Bros, an old Sega I got given to play Zelda on, but never really loved it....Eventually nagged mum into getting me a PS2 in time for Fifa 04 and then I went Xbox 360 > PS4. Have thought about upgrading to PS5 but seems like too much hassle and I don't really get the time these days. When I did, I mainly played sports simulation games. Fifa, NBA 2K, Madden, Fight Night, Cricket, Rugby, Racing....Love(d) them all. More recently I've been trying to get good at the Isle Of Man TT game but fck me it's difficult. Genuinely think doing it on a real bike is easier than on the game, although the consequences of crashing do somewhat negate that. GTA5 is probably my ultimate console game. I do wonder if GTA's best days are in the past now, GTA Online has really left me behind. I'm about 40% of the way through RDR2 and not sure I'll ever get around to completing it.

Big fan of Big Ant games from down under, they have the licence for cricket and rugby league and make decent games out of both IMO. Obviously not really comparable with Fifa in scale, but I'm happy EA has lost the FIFA Licence as they'd been sitting far too comfortably on it for far too long IMO.

If you haven't got it I would recommend getting cricket 24 . After the last two patches it's probably the best in the series now
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024