Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gamers Thread 09:43 - Mar 6 with 11179 viewsEsox_Lucius

We appear to have music covered off nicely, football definitely! help and advice threads, check, so next up... is anyone else a videogamer? I started off with an Atari Pong console, made my way through an Itellivision console to a BBC B which I still own and over the years I have had a Sega Saturn, PS1, 2 & 3 Nintendo Wii and various X Boxes up to my present Series S and during lockdown I treated my self to a full on gaming PC with Raccat Keyboard and Razer mouse.
In the last 25 years or so I have focussed mainly on RPG's, Openworld and sandbox games as I am absolutely crap at 1st & 3rd person shoot 'em ups.
If this thread gathers pace we can have discussions on favourite games, kit, tips & hints if needed. Go!
*Edit. I don't know how I forgot this; I spent over 2 years before Lockdown playing No Man's Sky with a few run throughs of The Outer Worlds chucked in.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 11:10]

The grass is always greener.

Gamers Thread on 19:07 - Mar 6 with 2034 viewsRangersw12

Loved gaming since I was kid where we had a amstrad with a green screen

Currently have a gaming laptop for RTS games & FM.

Also have a PS5 which I'm currently loving the new Harry Potter Hogwarts games it's like Red Dead but with wizards

Probably played Cricket games the most along with FPS lke Warzone and Cod
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 17:09]
Gamers Thread on 19:52 - Mar 6 with 2003 viewsQPRSteve

Gamers Thread on 19:04 - Mar 6 by Rangersw12

I've played all the Championship Manager / FM games over the years

Currently have a save with Vitesse Arnhem where I'm. In the 3rd season and just got to the Group Stage of Europa Conference also a sliding door save where I applied and got the recently relegated QPR job in summer of 24/25 season so basically have 2 saves on the go

Top of league 1 and managed to sell Dykes for 11 million!!!

Been playing as Aldershot with two promotions in two seasons - a bit too easy I'm thinking.

Games I remember fondly include the first version of Elite, Zack McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders and the Might and Magic series. Play on a Mac these days and the sods stopped supporting 32 bit games, wiping out a lot of stuff I had on steam.
Gamers Thread on 20:04 - Mar 6 with 1983 viewsSuperhoops2808

At 53, I have been on a bit of a journey!!

I started with an Atari, and a ZX Spectrum with the tape recorder. Loved football manager on that and had a great cheat that could get me unlimited funds. Always QPR.

Mum used to bring home a BBC computer from her school at the weekends (teacher) and I loved playing Elite on that.

Then progressed to the Mega-drive before tailing off a bit. However, I then purchased a PS1 and went through the whole 1,2,3, 4, Pro, and now a 5 which I managed to get on launch day.

During that time I loved Tiger Woods series, MAG, and Gran Turismo. Also love the Tomb raider series, Unchartered games, and all those sort of genre. Anything racing too, from Colin McRae rally, to Dirt, to WRC. Detest COD and the immature little runts that clay that online trolling day after day.

I have a PC for gaming too but only use it for FM (of which I have played every year) and more recently F1 Manager 22 which is challenging to say the least.

Currently playing Plagues Tale series here. The original was free on PS plus and so I got the 2nd one in October when it came out. Great series with good graphics.

Recently purchased an LG C2 for my PS5 which is meant to be awesome. I say meant to be because after less than 3 months its broken and we are waiting for them to repair it grrrr. Very sore point.

We had a thread going here once that people shared their PSN ID's and I still have many on my friends list and raced a few in Gran Turismo

Good thread to start Esox
Gamers Thread on 21:15 - Mar 6 with 1936 viewsmikeygunn

Gamers Thread on 11:20 - Mar 6 by peterlund_dk

I started off on a Commodore 64, moved on to the Commodore Amiga, before I switched to PC. Past 5 years have been gaming on the PS4 with my kids, and we just recently moved to PS5.

On the Amiga, I remember playing games from Cinemaware such as Wings, It Came from the Desert, TV Sports Basketball, Defender of the Crown, and started moving towards MicroProse/Sid Meier sim games. This intensified when I moved to PC, playing Pirates! Gold, Railroad Tycoon, Civilization, Colonization. I also did a lot of Football Manager, and my love for QPR actually started with Championship Manager 93. I dropped out of FM around 2005 though, when I had wife and kids and my gaming time magically disappeared.

Now on PS, I mainly play couch co-op games with my kids. I have tried to get into PGA Golf, World of Warships, F1, etc. on PS, but none of it stuck. The only game I have played for my self regularly is Just Cause 4.

I absolutely loved Wings. I still get the theme toon stuck in my head from time to time. Could never beat the big ants in ‘it came from the desert’. Forgot to add Monkey Island to my list of Amiga Games. And sensible soccer.
Gamers Thread on 02:17 - Mar 7 with 1859 viewsSharpy36

Gamers Thread on 21:15 - Mar 6 by mikeygunn

I absolutely loved Wings. I still get the theme toon stuck in my head from time to time. Could never beat the big ants in ‘it came from the desert’. Forgot to add Monkey Island to my list of Amiga Games. And sensible soccer.

Quoted wrong post
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 2:27]

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Gamers Thread on 02:26 - Mar 7 with 1848 viewsSharpy36

Gamers Thread on 20:04 - Mar 6 by Superhoops2808

At 53, I have been on a bit of a journey!!

I started with an Atari, and a ZX Spectrum with the tape recorder. Loved football manager on that and had a great cheat that could get me unlimited funds. Always QPR.

Mum used to bring home a BBC computer from her school at the weekends (teacher) and I loved playing Elite on that.

Then progressed to the Mega-drive before tailing off a bit. However, I then purchased a PS1 and went through the whole 1,2,3, 4, Pro, and now a 5 which I managed to get on launch day.

During that time I loved Tiger Woods series, MAG, and Gran Turismo. Also love the Tomb raider series, Unchartered games, and all those sort of genre. Anything racing too, from Colin McRae rally, to Dirt, to WRC. Detest COD and the immature little runts that clay that online trolling day after day.

I have a PC for gaming too but only use it for FM (of which I have played every year) and more recently F1 Manager 22 which is challenging to say the least.

Currently playing Plagues Tale series here. The original was free on PS plus and so I got the 2nd one in October when it came out. Great series with good graphics.

Recently purchased an LG C2 for my PS5 which is meant to be awesome. I say meant to be because after less than 3 months its broken and we are waiting for them to repair it grrrr. Very sore point.

We had a thread going here once that people shared their PSN ID's and I still have many on my friends list and raced a few in Gran Turismo

Good thread to start Esox

"Recently purchased an LG C2 for my PS5 which is meant to be awesome. I say meant to be because after less than 3 months its broken and we are waiting for them to repair it grrrr. Very sore point."

Although mine is the CS it went down after 10 months. Took all in all 3 months to get sorted out with a new one.

The panels are so hit and miss. Please get plenty of cover.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Gamers Thread on 03:15 - Mar 7 with 1835 viewsMatch82

Gamers Thread on 13:21 - Mar 6 by slmrstid

I've played games since childhood though I've never been one for the RPG/network play.

I remember having a Sega Mega Drive when I was a kid - that was my first console - Super Monaco GP was a great game (and can still be played on the internet on an emulator alongside a host of others that I used to play - Super Hang On, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage...)

Loved Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails being the reason foxes are my favourite animal.

Shared a Playstation with my sister in teenage years - the classic FIFA football games (not really played since FIFA 2004 though when they included lower leagues for the first time and QPR were on it). Actua Soccer used to be ace, Spyro the Dragon, TOCA Touring Cars, Gran Turismo...ah the memories.

Still got our PS2 at home although its mostly used as a DVD player now.

I was very much a Championship Manager/Football Manager addict and whilst I still play the classic CM01-02 from time to time I gave up buying the new ones after FM2010 - they just became too complicated and too time consuming to play and I see FM related stuff on Reddit occasionally and nothing I see encourages me to give the new ones a go - they look even worse now. CM/FM was great as escapism but the more layers they've tried to add in the more they've made it into another job, rather than a fun thing. Not for me.

I've always liked NASCAR games too and thats my main gaming at the moment on my laptop - would love to see a real race one day. iRacing looks like it could be fun but I think you'd need to invest a lot of money into good equipment, and network connections, to do it. I also have zero technical car knowledge so again probably be a bit too in-depth for me.

Don't think anything will ever top CM01-02 but after several false starts where I couldn't get into it, I've come around to the FM Mobile games, would recommend.
Gamers Thread on 06:42 - Mar 7 with 1805 viewsHAYESBOY

Used to play Football Manger (Championship Manager) up until about 3 version ago.

Mainly a PC gamer but I have an XBox One S with Fifa 23 and Golf 2K23.

On PC I have a game in development still called Deadside. Like a less complicated version of DayZ without the zombies. PUBG also, but not on that much anymore.

Is it sad that I have only ever played as QPR?

Smells like a trout farm in here

Login to get fewer ads

Gamers Thread on 06:46 - Mar 7 with 1801 viewsdavman

Gamers Thread on 10:00 - Mar 6 by swisscottage

Are you me?

Pong.
Learnt to code basic on a Commodore Pet at school where I learnt basic by typing in games like hunt the wombat from magazines like PCW. Then ZX81 and acorn atom for coding and basic games, before my mum bought me a BBC model B and gaming stepped up to graphics games like Defender, and Galaxian, and some basic cRPGs and the first isometric RPGs like Knight Lore ( as I was already into D&D)

I then moved onto an Atari ST, and the first Football Manager games, as well as continuing on the RPG and Roguelikes, before I then build my first PC ( SX-25) and moved over to windows and dos games.. and onto my first MUDs as my first foray into multiplayer online games.

From then its been a progression through the Bethesda Elder Scrolls Games, a variety of mmorpgs ( my all-time favorite being Asheron's Call), and then ARPGs. since about 2014 my gaming has predominantly been Path of Exile, with a few other games like Elite Dangerous and Civ6 as fillers between seasons on PoE, but I've got into playing Skyrim again recently with a couple of preconfigured modlists which make the game fresh again.

Loved D&D through Secondary School and could not believe what I was seeing when Baldur's Gate came out in the 90s. Played that for hours and hours and even started a new game a month ago. The sequel is even better although it gets a bit tough towards the end - massive fun though especially as it doesn't involve dexterity and an extra thumb or two like most console games seem to.

Got early access of BG3 a couple of years ago (full game release is August this year - something for me to look forward to rather than the football season...). It is developing into a helluva game.

Solasta worth looking at if it is pure D&D you are after.

Loved Sonic on the Mega Drive and of course all the Football Manager games.

Also found a website ("Retro Games" I think it is called) that emulates arcade machines recently and have started with the odd game of Hyper Sports (the only arcade game I was decent at), Track and Field and Rolling Thunder 2.

As I said above I can't get the hang of modern console games as there are too many controls. FIFA the best example. Let me point, pass, shoot and tackle, forget the skill moves. I guess that is representative of how I played actual football though...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Gamers Thread on 07:14 - Mar 7 with 1780 viewspeterlund_dk

Gamers Thread on 21:15 - Mar 6 by mikeygunn

Monkey Island - absolutely! I played a lot of the Lucasarts point-and-click games, like Maniac Mansion and some of the Indian Jones games. And there were others, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Operation Stealth.

For footie, I started with Kick Off and moved on the Sensible Soccer. Alternative games were MUDS! (Mean Ugly Dirty Sport) and Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe.

My favourite racing games were Formula One Grand Prix, Stunt Car Racer, Super Cars 2, Street Rod, and Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge.

By the way, there's a Wings Remasted for PC on Steam. It's a great trip down memory lane.
Gamers Thread on 08:16 - Mar 7 with 1758 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gamers Thread on 07:14 - Mar 7 by peterlund_dk

Monkey Island - absolutely! I played a lot of the Lucasarts point-and-click games, like Maniac Mansion and some of the Indian Jones games. And there were others, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Operation Stealth.

For footie, I started with Kick Off and moved on the Sensible Soccer. Alternative games were MUDS! (Mean Ugly Dirty Sport) and Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe.

My favourite racing games were Formula One Grand Prix, Stunt Car Racer, Super Cars 2, Street Rod, and Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge.

By the way, there's a Wings Remasted for PC on Steam. It's a great trip down memory lane.

I used to play Need For Speed on my XBox a lot and at one point I was ranked in the top 20 on the European servers. (I had XBox Gold). I used to really like the Forza series too but was never much good at them.

Gamers Thread on 09:11 - Mar 7 with 1715 viewsBluce_Ree

Gamers Thread on 06:42 - Mar 7 by HAYESBOY

Used to play Football Manger (Championship Manager) up until about 3 version ago.

Mainly a PC gamer but I have an XBox One S with Fifa 23 and Golf 2K23.

On PC I have a game in development still called Deadside. Like a less complicated version of DayZ without the zombies. PUBG also, but not on that much anymore.

Is it sad that I have only ever played as QPR?

I dabbled with Football Manager (CM03/04 I think) but mainly only ever took over Chelsea and destroyed them from within before leaving and watching them slowly go down the leagues.

I stopped playing completely when a player rebellion (at QPR) created a morale crisis after I didn't give one player a better contract even though I actually tried too and he stopped negotiating.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 9:19]

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Gamers Thread on 14:14 - Mar 7 with 1666 viewsslmrstid

I'm impressed we've got this far and no-one's mentioned Worms yet (nor me, because its only just come to my mind).

Absolute classic though back in the day, 2D better than 3D I think.
Gamers Thread on 14:28 - Mar 7 with 1651 viewspeterlund_dk

I'll add to the classics through my Amiga-tinted glasses:
Moonstone
International Karate+
Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
Lemmings
Settlers
Gamers Thread on 15:32 - Mar 7 with 1624 viewsBluce_Ree

Gamers Thread on 14:28 - Mar 7 by peterlund_dk

I'll add to the classics through my Amiga-tinted glasses:
Moonstone
International Karate+
Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
Lemmings
Settlers

Amiga was ace. Syndicate, Civilization, King's Bounty, Sensible World of Soccer.

Gamers Thread on 17:25 - Mar 7 with 1587 viewsrobith

Gamers Thread on 07:14 - Mar 7 by peterlund_dk

There was a Star Trek TNG point and click game where you could also joy ride the Enterprise in the neutral zone and gank Romulans, loved that as a kid
Gamers Thread on 18:39 - Mar 7 with 1567 viewsQPR_Jim

Gamers Thread on 15:32 - Mar 7 by Bluce_Ree

Amiga was ace. Syndicate, Civilization, King's Bounty, Sensible World of Soccer.

Rick Dangerous, Vroom, Pirates! and Sim City All good childhood memories. Championship manager was my favourite though.
Gamers Thread on 09:23 - Mar 8 with 1482 viewsBluce_Ree

After years of playing FIFA (luckily I never really had to buy them because I was reviewing them) I gave eFootball a go and actually I really like it.

Unlike FIFA, you can build a really good team for free and it won't get reset every year. The football action feels much the same anyway (like, I can easily pick up and play FIFA and still play well as essentially the controls are exactly the same).

The good thing about reviewing FIFA games was that I could be petty and generally make the screenshot one of QPR beating Chelsea.

Gamers Thread on 09:47 - Mar 8 with 1465 viewsMarc

LMA Manager was great. Wish that would make a comeback.

Championship manager on the first Xbox. Put many hours into that.

I like FM on the pc from time to time but always feels a bit too much compared to the console games.

Played the Atari and master system as a kid but the mega drive was my first proper console that was my own. Road rash, jungle strike, sensible soccer, cannon fodder etc. Good memories.
Gamers Thread on 10:09 - Mar 8 with 1443 viewsE17hoop

Been through the Mega Drive, PS1, 2, XBox routine and stopped now with a PS4. Don't get much time to play any more and when I do it's pretty much just CoD. I like the current one but not a Warzone fan - they seem to have fallen for the PUBG approach. Small sided Hardcore mode for me.

I did enjoy Last of Us though and the TV show - can I say that here - is excellent.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Gamers Thread on 10:49 - Mar 8 with 1431 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gaming history:
BBC B Elite. Castle Quest. Grand Prix.
Commodore(s) Repton. Zack McCracken. Secret Of Monkey Island. Simon The Sorceror.
PS1 Diablo. Gran Turismo. Dragon Quest
X Box Fable (all of them) Need For Speed.
Xbox 360 Star Wars. Forza. Fable (again) Need For Speed (again)
X Box One S The Witcher (1,2, &3) Fallout (all of them). Diablo III. Terraria (a game that requires a good knowledge of Boolean logic for some aspects of the gameplay). No Mans Sky & The Outer Worlds.
Gaming PC The Witcher series reboots and Genshin Impact.

Gamers Thread on 11:32 - Mar 8 with 1409 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Gamers Thread on 11:20 - Mar 6 by peterlund_dk

I started off on a Commodore 64, moved on to the Commodore Amiga, before I switched to PC. Past 5 years have been gaming on the PS4 with my kids, and we just recently moved to PS5.

On the Amiga, I remember playing games from Cinemaware such as Wings, It Came from the Desert, TV Sports Basketball, Defender of the Crown, and started moving towards MicroProse/Sid Meier sim games. This intensified when I moved to PC, playing Pirates! Gold, Railroad Tycoon, Civilization, Colonization. I also did a lot of Football Manager, and my love for QPR actually started with Championship Manager 93. I dropped out of FM around 2005 though, when I had wife and kids and my gaming time magically disappeared.

Now on PS, I mainly play couch co-op games with my kids. I have tried to get into PGA Golf, World of Warships, F1, etc. on PS, but none of it stuck. The only game I have played for my self regularly is Just Cause 4.

Commodore man myself, and loved Wings and It came From the Desert. Both games were way ahead of their time. Many an hour wasted on Championship Manager 93, it think my college years suffered due to that game!
Gamers Thread on 12:26 - Mar 8 with 1369 viewsBluce_Ree

Esox, I liked Terraria a lot. Ended up platinuming it on PS4. They actually released some new content for it recently. New bosses and whatever. Was decent.

Not that I know owt about boolean logic!

Gamers Thread on 17:10 - Mar 8 with 1255 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gamers Thread on 12:26 - Mar 8 by Bluce_Ree

Esox, I liked Terraria a lot. Ended up platinuming it on PS4. They actually released some new content for it recently. New bosses and whatever. Was decent.

Not that I know owt about boolean logic!

I still watch Chippy on Youtube for the newer stuff. The Boolean logic purchased from the electrician was, along with the Martian blocks, key to my battle stage for the Moon Lord. I'm not sure why I did it but I had a full chest for each individual fish you could catch LOL
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 17:10]

Gamers Thread on 22:59 - Mar 8 with 1186 viewslave16

Gamers Thread on 17:10 - Mar 8 by Esox_Lucius

I still watch Chippy on Youtube for the newer stuff. The Boolean logic purchased from the electrician was, along with the Martian blocks, key to my battle stage for the Moon Lord. I'm not sure why I did it but I had a full chest for each individual fish you could catch LOL
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 17:10]

Started on commodore 64 - Monty on the run, paperboy some random wwe game where you had to load the tape each time you won - then PS1 - madden, FIFA then PC - championship manager - picked QPR or the worse team in the league. Also Aliens, SIM city . When I was a student zerophobe on some random device I can't remember and some golf game where we lined up 18 cans and had to drink one every hole until we couldn't play anymore and compared score cards next day - interesting results.

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024