Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
20mph speed limit. 14:26 - May 18 with 6391 viewsSnipper

The amount of people I know who are being sent letters from the Metropolitan Police informing them of a penalty notice in 20mph areas is mental. Many of them for doing 25mph.

I perfectly understand why it’s 20mph outside schools and the surrounding areas, but 20mph late at night on the way home from work is obscene.

It’s got sod all to do with safety in my opinion. It’s a bloody cash cow for the old bill.

It’s a very easy way to criminalise people.

And no, I haven’t been done.
20mph speed limit. on 14:33 - May 18 with 3798 viewsloftboy

When I worked delivering in London from 2017-2020 we had black boxes in our vans, got pulled in the office once because I was doing 22 in a 20!
Most of the time you couldn’t get to 20 but if I was on a late delivering in westminister the journey back to Bow along the embankment when it was empty was tedious to say the least.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

20mph speed limit. on 14:41 - May 18 with 3765 viewsNov77

Make the speed limit 3 mph, you could start nicking pedestrians then, really rake in the cash.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

20mph speed limit. on 14:53 - May 18 with 3702 viewsTomS

20mph speed limit. on 14:41 - May 18 by Nov77

Make the speed limit 3 mph, you could start nicking pedestrians then, really rake in the cash.

Or mobility scooter users....
20mph speed limit. on 14:58 - May 18 with 3690 viewsTonto

because there are still pedestrians and cyclists and scooters at night.

speed of the vehicle is the biggest factor in the severity of injuries. 1 mph is a 6% increase in severity.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

20mph speed limit. on 15:03 - May 18 with 3669 viewsBklynRanger

20mph speed limit. on 14:58 - May 18 by Tonto

speed of the vehicle is the biggest factor in the severity of injuries. 1 mph is a 6% increase in severity.

But the pedestrians, cyclists and scooters have a responsibility to be careful too, shirley?

And I say that as someone who cycles (though not every day) and literally never drives.

How far should this go? A 20 mph limit just seems just daft - unless we're talking through quiet residential areas (are we?)
20mph speed limit. on 15:08 - May 18 with 3649 viewsTheChef

A money making scheme, obvs.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

20mph speed limit. on 15:31 - May 18 with 3567 viewsEastR

Bless me Father, for I have sinned...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65572257

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

20mph speed limit. on 15:33 - May 18 with 3567 viewsWatford_Ranger

Very dull admittedly but I read a study (possibly biased) that found journey times barely changed in 20mph zones that used to be 30.

I still agree it’s more of a money scam than a safety issue.
Login to get fewer ads

20mph speed limit. on 16:06 - May 18 with 3483 viewscolinallcars

It's really hard sticking to 20 but even worse I feel are the residents only streets. I had to cough up £65 to Hounslow council after inadvertantly entering such a street in Chiswick just up from Fullers brewery.
Sometimes there are so many signs to look out for it could be dangerous to motorists and pedestrians.
20mph speed limit. on 16:14 - May 18 with 3457 viewsPhildo

How about they can have their 20mph if they fix a few potholes with the cash coming in?
20mph speed limit. on 16:20 - May 18 with 3413 viewsGloryHunter

20 mph is too fast for this woman. She wants it cut to 10 mph.
https://ukdaily.news/labor-mp-rachael-maskell-proposes-a-10mph-speed-limit-48283
20mph speed limit. on 16:26 - May 18 with 3388 viewsNorthernr

20mph speed limit. on 16:06 - May 18 by colinallcars

It's really hard sticking to 20 but even worse I feel are the residents only streets. I had to cough up £65 to Hounslow council after inadvertantly entering such a street in Chiswick just up from Fullers brewery.
Sometimes there are so many signs to look out for it could be dangerous to motorists and pedestrians.

Yeh I've had this experience. To drive from where I am now in Totting to basically anywhere in the country other than the South Coast you have to go across the river at Wandsworth and then to Hammersmith and/or the Bush to get on the M3, M4, M40 or north circ. I'd been happily doing that over Wandsworth Bridge for a few months and then after one of the away games suddenly had a ticket from H&F council. All the streets now apart from the main arterial roads between Wandsworth Bridge and Putney Bridge are now camera protected and you can't drive through unless you live there. That's not a little rat run cut through either, it's just.. the way. You're now basically forced to drive through Putney and over Putney Bridge or across Wandsworth Bridge and up into Earls Court. Traffic there, already impossible, is now basically end of days.When moving house I toped out at 2 hours 45 minutes Tooting to Barnet, and an hour and half of that was spent on Putney Bridge Road trying to turn right onto the bridge. Unless you're doing it between about 11pm and 5am you can basically forget it, write off 2-3 hours just to get out of town.

This post has been edited by an administrator
20mph speed limit. on 16:28 - May 18 with 3368 viewsMick_S

20mph speed limit. on 16:14 - May 18 by Phildo

How about they can have their 20mph if they fix a few potholes with the cash coming in?

If you spray paint a dick and all the rest, the potholes get filled in. It was on the bbc.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

20mph speed limit. on 16:40 - May 18 with 3327 viewskernowhoop

Yes, away from schools, it's about income and virtue-signalling.
On a vaguely-related point, I read that Westminster City Council raised £48 million last year from parking fines.
As councils' costs increase and people continue to ask government (including local government) to do more, the pressure will lead authorities to dream up different ways of raising revenue.
20mph speed limit. on 16:58 - May 18 with 3252 viewsJeff

20mph speed limit. on 16:26 - May 18 by Northernr

Yeh I've had this experience. To drive from where I am now in Totting to basically anywhere in the country other than the South Coast you have to go across the river at Wandsworth and then to Hammersmith and/or the Bush to get on the M3, M4, M40 or north circ. I'd been happily doing that over Wandsworth Bridge for a few months and then after one of the away games suddenly had a ticket from H&F council. All the streets now apart from the main arterial roads between Wandsworth Bridge and Putney Bridge are now camera protected and you can't drive through unless you live there. That's not a little rat run cut through either, it's just.. the way. You're now basically forced to drive through Putney and over Putney Bridge or across Wandsworth Bridge and up into Earls Court. Traffic there, already impossible, is now basically end of days.When moving house I toped out at 2 hours 45 minutes Tooting to Barnet, and an hour and half of that was spent on Putney Bridge Road trying to turn right onto the bridge. Unless you're doing it between about 11pm and 5am you can basically forget it, write off 2-3 hours just to get out of town.

funnily enough, got a £65 fine for doing exactly this coming back through Putney from Coventry at Home last month yesterday...

Can we not knock it?

20mph speed limit. on 17:17 - May 18 with 3208 viewsstevec

20mph speed limit. on 16:20 - May 18 by GloryHunter

20 mph is too fast for this woman. She wants it cut to 10 mph.
https://ukdaily.news/labor-mp-rachael-maskell-proposes-a-10mph-speed-limit-48283

It’s all about control and showing us who’s boss.

This has become a horrible vindictive country where freedom of expression has been almost expunged.

No wonder over 50’s are getting out the work force as fast as they can. Why 20 somethings are giving up on making a better life for themselves. 30’s and 40’s got out of their educational years just in time to forge what they can from their efforts, good luck to them and hope it carries them through to later life.

Everything in politics, right or left, is about downsizing. Work, life, expression, the lot. A 10mph limit a metaphorical final step before we grind to a halt.
20mph speed limit. on 17:19 - May 18 with 3204 viewsNorthernr

20mph speed limit. on 16:58 - May 18 by Jeff

funnily enough, got a £65 fine for doing exactly this coming back through Putney from Coventry at Home last month yesterday...

Sorry mate thought I'd mentioned this in the Crown...
20mph speed limit. on 17:21 - May 18 with 3199 viewscolinallcars

20mph speed limit. on 16:26 - May 18 by Northernr

Wandsworth bridge is due to close soon for a ten week repair. Given that Hammersmith bridge is still out the position will be desperate.
20mph speed limit. on 17:22 - May 18 with 3196 viewsNorthernr

20mph speed limit. on 17:21 - May 18 by colinallcars

Wandsworth bridge is due to close soon for a ten week repair. Given that Hammersmith bridge is still out the position will be desperate.

Fcking hell. Pray for Putney.
20mph speed limit. on 17:29 - May 18 with 3174 viewsWatfordR

It won't be too long before you'll be limited to driving at 20mph to away games to watch us "achieve" 20% possession. Then of course 20mph back home.

What an exciting world we have to look forward to....
20mph speed limit. on 17:32 - May 18 with 3171 viewsBenny_the_Ball

20mph speed limit. on 14:58 - May 18 by Tonto

I don't buy it and, frankly, I'm not interested. Beyond schools, 20MPH is too slow, period.

It's a blatant a cash cow. Frankly, I've had enough so I've put mechanisms into place to avoid paying these greedy bar stewards. It pains me to go down that route but I'm tired of being treated like the devil incarnate just because I drive a car.
20mph speed limit. on 17:41 - May 18 with 3146 viewsBenny_the_Ball

20mph speed limit. on 15:33 - May 18 by Watford_Ranger

Very dull admittedly but I read a study (possibly biased) that found journey times barely changed in 20mph zones that used to be 30.

I still agree it’s more of a money scam than a safety issue.

Was that one of Sadiq Khan's studies? If so, take it with a healthy pinch of salt.

Common sense is genius in working mans clothes. I can tell you categorically that it takes a lot longer to get through London now than it did 10-20 years ago.

In any event, it's not the journey times that are vexing drivers. It's the constant barrage of ant-driver, cash-cow schemes (Speed Cameras, 20MPH, C-Charge, ULEZ, LTN's, 24-hour bus lanes, etc.) masquerading as environmental and safety champions that is grating.
20mph speed limit. on 17:45 - May 18 with 3139 viewsQPR_Jim

20mph speed limit. on 17:17 - May 18 by stevec

It’s all about control and showing us who’s boss.

This has become a horrible vindictive country where freedom of expression has been almost expunged.

No wonder over 50’s are getting out the work force as fast as they can. Why 20 somethings are giving up on making a better life for themselves. 30’s and 40’s got out of their educational years just in time to forge what they can from their efforts, good luck to them and hope it carries them through to later life.

Everything in politics, right or left, is about downsizing. Work, life, expression, the lot. A 10mph limit a metaphorical final step before we grind to a halt.

I've never considered the speed I drive to be an expression of myself, people must think I'm angry the speed I go.

I've always liked the idea of 80mph on motorways and 20mph on residential streets. Streets with cars parked either side, children and pets liable to wander into the road aren't generally that long so cutting the speed from 30 to 20 for a few hundred meters isn't going to add on much time to a journey. However, an extra 10mph on a motorway journey is much more beneficial.
20mph speed limit. on 17:55 - May 18 with 3117 viewsNorthernr

20mph speed limit. on 17:41 - May 18 by Benny_the_Ball

Was that one of Sadiq Khan's studies? If so, take it with a healthy pinch of salt.

Common sense is genius in working mans clothes. I can tell you categorically that it takes a lot longer to get through London now than it did 10-20 years ago.

In any event, it's not the journey times that are vexing drivers. It's the constant barrage of ant-driver, cash-cow schemes (Speed Cameras, 20MPH, C-Charge, ULEZ, LTN's, 24-hour bus lanes, etc.) masquerading as environmental and safety champions that is grating.

My favourite is the smart motorway gantries set permanently at 60mph, across four empty lanes, in the middle of the night, to "reduce air pollution". Fck off lads seriously.
20mph speed limit. on 17:58 - May 18 with 3108 viewsstowmarketrange

20mph speed limit. on 17:45 - May 18 by QPR_Jim

I've never considered the speed I drive to be an expression of myself, people must think I'm angry the speed I go.

I've always liked the idea of 80mph on motorways and 20mph on residential streets. Streets with cars parked either side, children and pets liable to wander into the road aren't generally that long so cutting the speed from 30 to 20 for a few hundred meters isn't going to add on much time to a journey. However, an extra 10mph on a motorway journey is much more beneficial.

The only problem with raising motorway speeds to 80mph is that still won’t be fast enough for some,and they will raise their speed to nearer 90mph as they sometimes go 10mph over the existing speed limit now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024