Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cup final weekend 08:31 - Jun 1 with 5967 viewsPikey

Used to be a game on the eve of the cup final between England and Young England.
Remember going to highbury in 67 (?) To watch this game with Peter Springett and Rodney playing for young England and I believe Ron Springett in goal for England.
Used to be live on tv as well.
Anyone else remember being pelted by coins from above as the clutch of rs fans started the Rodnee chant.
Cup final weekend on 09:46 - Jun 1 with 4507 viewsRanger_1969

Just looked that up - Young England won 5-0 Rodney scored 2!
Cup final weekend on 10:50 - Jun 1 with 4417 viewsolderR

I was there with a mate. Great night except for a bit of trouble with some Arse fans on the way out.
Cup final weekend on 12:18 - Jun 1 with 4306 viewscheesy

Always been a legs man myself.
Cup final weekend on 12:34 - Jun 1 with 4281 viewsNoDiddley

Went to the 66 pre World Cup game also at Highbury, remember the young England goalie was Gordon West & of course Banks for the first team.
Dad bought me & my brother rosette’s , those were the days,
Cup final weekend on 12:38 - Jun 1 with 4271 viewsTonto

i remember when cup final day was a big thing, and no matter who was playing most of the country stopped to watch it from 11 o'clock in the morning until the end of the presentations...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Cup final weekend on 13:26 - Jun 1 with 4195 viewsJuzzie

Cup final weekend on 12:38 - Jun 1 by Tonto

i remember when cup final day was a big thing, and no matter who was playing most of the country stopped to watch it from 11 o'clock in the morning until the end of the presentations...

Probably one of the few live games on tv then whereas it's so saturated now I forgot it was even on!
Cup final weekend on 15:22 - Jun 1 with 4096 viewsFG_R

That’s interesting. The ’67 FA cup final was on 20th May, but on 5th May 1967 the Springett brothers had just played on opposite sides in (former QPR defender) Tony Ingham’s testimonial match at Loftus Road - when our league cup winning team played an International XI, which also included Martin Peters, Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst. Great for us youngsters (at the time) to see these world cup winners in action.
It occurred to me that you don’t see many testimonial matches these days (are the players so well off they are not needed?). Also can you imagine today’s international superstars turning out for a testimonial for a 3rd tier player?
Cup final weekend on 15:37 - Jun 1 with 4048 viewsterryb

The only club matches shown live were the FA Cup final & European finals, but I don't think that Inter City Fairs/UEFA cup finals were included in the '60's, early '70's.

Apart from the World Cup & European Championship finals, internationals were also rare until the Home Nations changed to being played in an 8 day period at the end of the season. That is apart from ITV(?) showing the annual match between Austria & Hungary for quite a number of years!
Login to get fewer ads

Cup final weekend on 16:12 - Jun 1 with 4004 viewshantssi

Cup final weekend on 15:22 - Jun 1 by FG_R

That’s interesting. The ’67 FA cup final was on 20th May, but on 5th May 1967 the Springett brothers had just played on opposite sides in (former QPR defender) Tony Ingham’s testimonial match at Loftus Road - when our league cup winning team played an International XI, which also included Martin Peters, Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst. Great for us youngsters (at the time) to see these world cup winners in action.
It occurred to me that you don’t see many testimonial matches these days (are the players so well off they are not needed?). Also can you imagine today’s international superstars turning out for a testimonial for a 3rd tier player?

It’s probably more to do with the fact that virtually no player stays for 10 years anymore and as you say they don’t need the money!
Cup final weekend on 19:53 - Jun 2 with 3645 viewsdistortR

F'ck city and united, i will be watching the side-cars race through parliament square. Big crowds, beer, no admission fee, no trouble and amazing blokes (And women) risking their lives for the love of the sport rather then cash.

Road racers are nuts, fair do's.
Cup final weekend on 15:35 - Jun 3 with 3459 viewsstevec

How is that a penalty?

Modern football is a pile of shit
Cup final weekend on 15:37 - Jun 3 with 3449 viewsbosh67

Cup final weekend on 15:35 - Jun 3 by stevec

How is that a penalty?

If that’s a penalty we might as well all go home!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Cup final weekend on 15:41 - Jun 3 with 3431 viewsstowmarketrange

Cup final weekend on 15:37 - Jun 3 by bosh67

No other team would’ve been given that penalty.Absolute joke.
Cup final weekend on 15:43 - Jun 3 with 3426 viewsPaddyhoops

Cup final weekend on 15:37 - Jun 3 by bosh67

Never a pen. Fernanadez scores and immediately goes over to give it the Billy big bollocks in front of the Citeh fans and then stars complaining they’re throwing objects at them.
Don’t condone it but they’re not very bright, these footballers.
Not sure how Casimero ends up Winning a free kick for a stud up ankle challenge after it went to VAR.
Some other idiots opinion , I suppose.
Cup final weekend on 15:47 - Jun 3 with 3379 viewsjohnhoop

Cup final weekend on 15:43 - Jun 3 by Paddyhoops

Never a pen. Fernanadez scores and immediately goes over to give it the Billy big bollocks in front of the Citeh fans and then stars complaining they’re throwing objects at them.
Don’t condone it but they’re not very bright, these footballers.
Not sure how Casimero ends up Winning a free kick for a stud up ankle challenge after it went to VAR.
Some other idiots opinion , I suppose.

Think they must have Alex Ferguson doing the VAR.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 15:48]
Cup final weekend on 16:00 - Jun 3 with 3331 viewsstowmarketrange

Cup final weekend on 15:47 - Jun 3 by johnhoop

Think they must have Alex Ferguson doing the VAR.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 15:48]

Or Lee Mason.
Cup final weekend on 16:02 - Jun 3 with 3325 viewsqprxtc

VAR is the worst thing that has ever happened to football. F ucking awful thing.

VAR is all about stopping goals, stopping the game, punishing tiny infringement. It’s f ucking micro management. Takes away rather than gives. Utter shit.
Cup final weekend on 16:02 - Jun 3 with 3325 viewsqpr_1968

Cup final weekend on 15:35 - Jun 3 by stevec

How is that a penalty?

and your right....
stopping the game after a few minutes to give a penalty that should never have been given.

now, i hate var more than anything, but they use it for anything now.
so why not use it when a player cheats and gets another player booked, rolling around as if they've been shot, after no contact has been made....well done grealish again.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Cup final weekend on 16:07 - Jun 3 with 3301 viewsstevec

And the pundits are all in on it.

Wright and Lescott with minimal dissent about the abysmal decision and that runt Roy Keane saying it’s a definite penalty. It’s like watching some kind of Simon Cowell shite lack of talent show. They are giving it the big one though about frustrated fans who they consider are a bunch of cnts just lucky to be there. Pathetic to watch.

What the fck has happened to football. Give me shite Championship football any day.
Cup final weekend on 16:20 - Jun 3 with 3256 viewsBluce_Ree

I find myself hoping Utd lose as they directly lowered the prestige of this cup.

I don't watch Prem football and as such I've not really seen this City team in action but it's quite mad how everyone in the team can place a perfect pass, can receive the ball from the air and control it effortlessly and they all seem to have a trick or a way of getting past a player.

It's weird. I guess that's what money buys you but it's almost a different sport to what I've seen the Rs do.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Cup final weekend on 16:29 - Jun 3 with 3224 viewsstowmarketrange

Cup final weekend on 16:07 - Jun 3 by stevec

Wright and Lescott with minimal dissent about the abysmal decision and that runt Roy Keane saying it’s a definite penalty. It’s like watching some kind of Simon Cowell shite lack of talent show. They are giving it the big one though about frustrated fans who they consider are a bunch of cnts just lucky to be there. Pathetic to watch.

What the fck has happened to football. Give me shite Championship football any day.

Under the current laws it was a penalty,but it just shows how those in charge have ruined the game by their law changes.
When an attacking team can handball it and it’s given as a goal because it didn’t directly lead to the goal being scored,and they give a penalty for that today it shows the law is an ass.
Cup final weekend on 17:15 - Jun 3 with 3129 viewsdsw2509

I’m glad City won though. Haven’t forgiven the other lot for that 1996 game yet.
Cup final weekend on 17:23 - Jun 3 with 3088 viewsstevec

Cup final weekend on 17:15 - Jun 3 by dsw2509

I’m glad City won though. Haven’t forgiven the other lot for that 1996 game yet.

Me too.

It’s weird but I feel a bit grubby watching it, the whole spectacle is distasteful.
Cup final weekend on 17:29 - Jun 3 with 3079 viewstraininvain

Cup final weekend on 16:07 - Jun 3 by stevec

Well it was a penalty by the laws of the game so they’re spot on. But whether the law needs to change or not is another matter.
Cup final weekend on 17:34 - Jun 3 with 3056 viewsjohnhoop

Cup final weekend on 17:15 - Jun 3 by dsw2509

With me it’s the 2012 game where that appalling cheat Ashley Young conned the gormless Lee Mason into sending Shaun Derry off.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 18:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024