Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Weakened beer…. 14:54 - Jun 19 with 13821 viewscolinallcars

Much talk in the papers today about brewers lowering the gravity of their beers to save on excise duty and defray their costs.
Beers mentioned included Fosters, John Smith and Marstons.
No sweat for me as these beers don't find their way down my neck.
Worth observing though - I'm paying £6 plus for a pint of ale.
Weakened beer…. on 22:50 - Jun 19 with 2421 viewsBoston

Weakened beer…. on 22:29 - Jun 19 by loftboy

Pub at the end of my road, proper locals boozer in Lowestoft, it did Camden Hells as £4:50 a pint, the generic carling, carlsberg and fosters is £2.75, went in a few weeks back and the Camden’s has gone, was told the locals won’t pay that much and I was the only one drinking it, going in 3 days a week is not enough to be considered a local! They have now lost my custom as I won’t drink that crap.
Was the Lowestoft festival of light this week, there was a few beer tents on and near the beach , paid £7 for a pint of London Black.
There’s a decent pub just about 20 yards away from the one at the end of my road that has guest beers and also does Morretti on draught so will be in there in future.
Was back in Berkshire last week for a couple of days, was paying £13 for two pints in most of the pubs in Wokingham.

Loftboy...is Lowestoft Norwich through and through or is there an Ipswich contingent, or come to that, anyone else?

Edit..I do recall standing on the platform at Norwich er.. Grand Central whatever, and noticing fans of the canaries boarding Lowestoft bound trains.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 22:52]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Weakened beer…. on 22:54 - Jun 19 with 2405 viewsHayesender

Weakened beer…. on 22:29 - Jun 19 by loftboy

Pub at the end of my road, proper locals boozer in Lowestoft, it did Camden Hells as £4:50 a pint, the generic carling, carlsberg and fosters is £2.75, went in a few weeks back and the Camden’s has gone, was told the locals won’t pay that much and I was the only one drinking it, going in 3 days a week is not enough to be considered a local! They have now lost my custom as I won’t drink that crap.
Was the Lowestoft festival of light this week, there was a few beer tents on and near the beach , paid £7 for a pint of London Black.
There’s a decent pub just about 20 yards away from the one at the end of my road that has guest beers and also does Morretti on draught so will be in there in future.
Was back in Berkshire last week for a couple of days, was paying £13 for two pints in most of the pubs in Wokingham.

I'm only 10 minutes from Arundel, and there's a couple of really decent tap rooms there. One in the Norfolk Arms next to the castle, and another one at the top of a hill I found by accident.

Anyway, both do some really lovely locally brewed beers, cider, and rum. Makes a nice change from the generic Carling, fosters, Amstel etc etc.

Only downside, I think it may have contributed to an attack of gout

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Weakened beer…. on 23:40 - Jun 19 with 2362 viewsBoston

Weakened beer…. on 22:54 - Jun 19 by Hayesender

I'm only 10 minutes from Arundel, and there's a couple of really decent tap rooms there. One in the Norfolk Arms next to the castle, and another one at the top of a hill I found by accident.

Anyway, both do some really lovely locally brewed beers, cider, and rum. Makes a nice change from the generic Carling, fosters, Amstel etc etc.

Only downside, I think it may have contributed to an attack of gout

When they do lock-ins , do the smokers call it gout and snout?
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 2:08]

Weakened beer…. on 00:10 - Jun 20 with 2339 views100percent

So here is my take on this for what it's worth.
As some of you may know, I own a few bars and also have a company that puts bars into Festivals (lots of them)
The massive challenge this year has been the struggle to present a sub seven quid pint. All brewers have raised their pricing - some like Heineken to the extent of 20% - it's shocking and difficult to swallow. What the brewers don't understand is that your normal 4 pint man is now drinking 2/3 and then switching to spirits because it has a perceived greater value. There is a glass ceiling to how much most people will pay for a pint - as some of you have mentioned inthis thread, paying a premium for 'craft products' has a greater value, but what we are finding is that that is also being applied to the pricing of products like Fosters and Carlsberg, which frankly cannot justify the same pricing tier.
The changing of the ABV is an effort to have the cost pricing reduced - the tax changes on August the 1st based on drink strengths, therefore reducing the ABV is an attempt to maintain a slightly cheaper wholesale price.
The days of simply passing the price increase on to the customer is just not going to work because there is only so much people willpay for a pint - therefore they are attempting a smarter approach.
Only time will tell if it works. Until they start controlling the major supermarkets using dynamic pricing to encourage families to do their weekly shopping in their establishment, we will slowly see the death of ontrade premises.....
Weakened beer…. on 00:10 - Jun 20 with 2339 viewsloftboy

Weakened beer…. on 22:50 - Jun 19 by Boston

Loftboy...is Lowestoft Norwich through and through or is there an Ipswich contingent, or come to that, anyone else?

Edit..I do recall standing on the platform at Norwich er.. Grand Central whatever, and noticing fans of the canaries boarding Lowestoft bound trains.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 22:52]

See both to be honest, also loads of Westham and a decent amount of QPR as well, when we played Norwich away there was a fair few of us on the Lowestoft train.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Weakened beer…. on 00:47 - Jun 20 with 2306 viewsLazyFan

Camden Hells is great, Carling makes me puke.

zzzzzzzzzz

Weakened beer…. on 01:22 - Jun 20 with 2292 viewsSydneyRs

Weakened beer…. on 15:08 - Jun 19 by Northernr

Fck me if they water Fosters down any more what's going to be left? It's already a driving lager, at best. I reckon I pis at about 4.5% so every pint of that stuff sobers me up.

Was going to say similar. Fosters, the drink you drink when you are not drinking.

As I may have mentioned before, nobody drinks it in Australia. Those old Paul Hogan ads were great marketing indeed.
Weakened beer…. on 01:27 - Jun 20 with 2286 viewsSydneyRs

Weakened beer…. on 00:10 - Jun 20 by 100percent

As some of you may know, I own a few bars and also have a company that puts bars into Festivals (lots of them)
The massive challenge this year has been the struggle to present a sub seven quid pint. All brewers have raised their pricing - some like Heineken to the extent of 20% - it's shocking and difficult to swallow. What the brewers don't understand is that your normal 4 pint man is now drinking 2/3 and then switching to spirits because it has a perceived greater value. There is a glass ceiling to how much most people will pay for a pint - as some of you have mentioned inthis thread, paying a premium for 'craft products' has a greater value, but what we are finding is that that is also being applied to the pricing of products like Fosters and Carlsberg, which frankly cannot justify the same pricing tier.
The changing of the ABV is an effort to have the cost pricing reduced - the tax changes on August the 1st based on drink strengths, therefore reducing the ABV is an attempt to maintain a slightly cheaper wholesale price.
The days of simply passing the price increase on to the customer is just not going to work because there is only so much people willpay for a pint - therefore they are attempting a smarter approach.
Only time will tell if it works. Until they start controlling the major supermarkets using dynamic pricing to encourage families to do their weekly shopping in their establishment, we will slowly see the death of ontrade premises.....

I don't know about brewers as such, but there's widespread rampant price gouging by big businesses going on because of inflation expectations and its disgusting. Inflation is already an expectation so lets just add some extra fat for ourselves. It isn't called out enough.

The two main supermarket chains here are a perfect example. Crying poor because of increased supply costs (which there are to be fair and you expect some price increases as a result), but have increased their profits by 15% in the last year. It isn't hard to work out what's going on.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 1:27]
Login to get fewer ads

Weakened beer…. on 06:09 - Jun 20 with 2223 viewsMick_S

I was in a pub in Stockbridge, Hampshire a couple of weeks back. Two Asahi lagers and a couple of fruit based drinks for the ladies (Sangria) came in at £40.00. Unsustainable.

Meanwhile in my local cricket club, the Carling is being necked by the barrel. £3.50 a pint for puddle muck water.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Weakened beer…. on 07:10 - Jun 20 with 2197 viewsKeithW

"some like Heineken to the extent of 20% - it's shocking and difficult to swallow."
It certainly is.
Weakened beer…. on 08:46 - Jun 20 with 2122 viewsizlingtonhoop

Weakened beer…. on 01:22 - Jun 20 by SydneyRs

Was going to say similar. Fosters, the drink you drink when you are not drinking.

As I may have mentioned before, nobody drinks it in Australia. Those old Paul Hogan ads were great marketing indeed.

It's a long way from Reading to Melbourne, so it'd cost too much.

It's 3.7% in cans.
Weakened beer…. on 09:31 - Jun 20 with 2087 views100percent

here's a link to how they are killing our industry..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-alcohol-duty-rates/alcohol
Weakened beer…. on 09:48 - Jun 20 with 2066 viewsBlackCrowe

Weakened beer…. on 20:54 - Jun 19 by colinallcars

I like Hogsback TEA as well. Three bottles for a fiver in Waitrose at the moment.

TEA is a very good ale. Whilst on the name check of Hog's Back brewery, the Hazy Hog cider is utterly delicious. Not sure who stocks it (other than my local butcher) but you can find it on draught in a few pubs (eg. White Swan Twickenham).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Weakened beer…. on 10:15 - Jun 20 with 2041 viewsrobith

As a punter who goes to a fair amount of festivals as well - post lockdown organisers have been massively scrimping on facilities too, especially toilets. I've moved to spirits cos I don't want to spend half the day queuing for the 3 bogs they've put on (which are all overflowing by 3pm)
Weakened beer…. on 11:28 - Jun 20 with 1994 viewsDannyPaddox

Weakened beer…. on 16:37 - Jun 19 by colinallcars

Would that be the Hand & Flower ? It's a pricey pub alright.
Mind you, I was in there a while back and they had a Star Trek event at Olympia. People in the pub dressed as Jim, Bones and Spock with big ears.
I'd like to have taken some pics but I'd left my phone at home.

That’s the pub Colin. As for the Star Trek characters, at certain times of the year I’ve wandered hungover on a midday Sunday through the backstreets of W14 heading for the river for a sobering walk only to see the mildly hallucinatory vision of a gaggle of Marvel characters walking towards me.

Which brings this to mind …

https://youtube.com/shorts/0IaJxtbGDlg?feature=share
Weakened beer…. on 13:16 - Jun 20 with 1891 viewstkqpr

I heard mention theres a beer (ale) thats made with "Structured water?"

Banhams/Badlands Brewery? I heard it on a Podcast but didnt have time to make a note or try and decifer the dialect.

Anyone know?
Weakened beer…. on 14:47 - Jun 20 with 1815 viewsR_from_afar

Weakened beer…. on 15:42 - Jun 19 by Superhoop83

I thought we were scraping the barrel with Fosters and Carling and then you go and mention Becks in bottles!

The regular piss artistes at our local pub in Surrey drink nothing but Carling and Fosters until they go on to the brandy.

"The regular piss artistes at our local pub in Surrey drink nothing but Carling and Fosters until they go on to the brandy".

That reminds me of the cricket club I used to play for. There was a group of lunatics who, on a Saturday evening, would pick a spirit or unfashionable drink and guzzle it until the club bar ran out of it. Then they'd sleep in the bar overnight. If you were playing on Sunday, you'd often arrive at the clubhouse as they were brushing their teeth. I remember them decimating our stocks of barley wine, Babycham... Nutters!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Weakened beer…. on 16:05 - Jun 20 with 1779 viewsdmm

Weakened beer…. on 14:47 - Jun 20 by R_from_afar

"The regular piss artistes at our local pub in Surrey drink nothing but Carling and Fosters until they go on to the brandy".

That reminds me of the cricket club I used to play for. There was a group of lunatics who, on a Saturday evening, would pick a spirit or unfashionable drink and guzzle it until the club bar ran out of it. Then they'd sleep in the bar overnight. If you were playing on Sunday, you'd often arrive at the clubhouse as they were brushing their teeth. I remember them decimating our stocks of barley wine, Babycham... Nutters!

Barley wine. I rarely see that often these days. Probably just as well too as it used to give me the mother of hangovers.
Weakened beer…. on 16:33 - Jun 20 with 1762 viewsBoston

Weakened beer…. on 16:05 - Jun 20 by dmm

Barley wine. I rarely see that often these days. Probably just as well too as it used to give me the mother of hangovers.

In my 20's I used to drink half a pint of Guinness topped up with a bottle of barley wine. Great drink, always made sure I had someone around to get me home.

Weakened beer…. on 17:36 - Jun 20 with 1712 viewsloftboy

Just having a pint of Greene king flint eye 4.5 ABV amd was £4.75 in a local hotel in Lowestoft.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Weakened beer…. on 17:39 - Jun 20 with 1709 viewsFG_R

Weakened beer…. on 13:16 - Jun 20 by tkqpr

I heard mention theres a beer (ale) thats made with "Structured water?"

Banhams/Badlands Brewery? I heard it on a Podcast but didnt have time to make a note or try and decifer the dialect.

Anyone know?

I would be very wary about anyone claiming to alter the structure of water. Wikipedia reckons it's a marketing ploy based on people's lack of chemistry knowledge. Sounds a bit too much like homeopathy which dilutes the active ingredient with water until there isn't a single molecule of active ingredient left - but which claims that the water has been somehow altered. Homeopathy has been pretty much ridiculed by mainstream science in recent years.
Weakened beer…. on 19:13 - Jun 20 with 1651 viewsLogman

I actually more partial to weakened beer than inbibing from Mondays to Fridays.
Weakened beer…. on 19:50 - Jun 20 with 1597 viewseastside_r

Weakened beer…. on 16:33 - Jun 20 by Boston

In my 20's I used to drink half a pint of Guinness topped up with a bottle of barley wine. Great drink, always made sure I had someone around to get me home.

Blimey! I used to drink that back in the day.

I called it a ‘Winter Warmer’ as I tended to drink it in that season.

However, it didn’t really warm you up, just prevented you from feeling the cold or feeling anything else come to think of it.
Weakened beer…. on 22:37 - Jun 20 with 1507 viewstkqpr

Weakened beer…. on 17:39 - Jun 20 by FG_R

I would be very wary about anyone claiming to alter the structure of water. Wikipedia reckons it's a marketing ploy based on people's lack of chemistry knowledge. Sounds a bit too much like homeopathy which dilutes the active ingredient with water until there isn't a single molecule of active ingredient left - but which claims that the water has been somehow altered. Homeopathy has been pretty much ridiculed by mainstream science in recent years.

Even more reason for me to try and seek it out. If its poo pooed by Wiki and mainstream science then its definately got to be beneficial for you.
Weakened beer…. on 22:45 - Jun 20 with 1499 viewsBoston

Weakened beer…. on 19:13 - Jun 20 by Logman

I actually more partial to weakened beer than inbibing from Mondays to Fridays.

I'm generally weakened by beer.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024