Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric cars… 16:21 - Jul 26 with 11457 viewscolinallcars

Internal combustion cars due to be phased out by 2030.
I'm on the cusp of needing a new car - but I think it could be a calamity.
Lack of charging, electric bikes bursting into flames, a major fire on a car ferry off Holland possibly due to electric car fire.
I don't trust our govt. to successfully bring about this huge change.

Electric cars… on 16:26 - Jul 26 with 6225 viewsBuckR

If looking to be safe then get a Hybrid - believe they are okay until 2035
Electric cars… on 17:09 - Jul 26 with 6068 viewsPaddyhoops

Getting a new electric company van next week so sussing out potential charging points in central London. Not many!
Electric cars… on 17:16 - Jul 26 with 6051 viewsdmm

It's best to get a home charger and there's a Govt grant scheme to help with the cost.
Electric cars… on 17:18 - Jul 26 with 6047 viewstidydarts

If you have the means to (plus off road parking), get a home charger installed in your home, half the price to charge an EV at home compared to public charging - especially if you’re charging overnight.

Think EVs do get a bad rep but they’re much less likely to break down because of a mechanical issue, and provided you plan your journeys you shouldn’t run out of charge either
Electric cars… on 17:29 - Jul 26 with 6006 viewsR_from_afar

No type of car is perfect and no type of car is green.

Lithium mining is a messy process but then so is drilling for oil. Have you seen what the tar sands are like in Alberta? A wasteland.

The other thing with lithium is that most people who complain about how it is mined take a selective view. They rail at electric vehicles but happily buy other products which use lithium ion batteries, like mobile 'phones, laptops, electric toothbrushes, garden and power tools, and toys.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the fire risk from lithium batteries (remember, they are not just in vehicles and also remember that petrol contains carcinogenic benzene and diesel, though not flammable at normal temperatures and pressures, is toxic:

"Lithium-ion batteries can be a safety hazard if not properly engineered and manufactured since cells have flammable electrolytes and if damaged or incorrectly charged, can lead to explosions and fires. Much progress has been made in the development and manufacturing of safe lithium-ion batteries. Lithium ion all solid state batteries are being developed to eliminate the flammable electrolyte".

I have driven over 43000 miles on electric power in my electric vehicle and it has been a joy to drive and own, with no major problems. Now that most new all electric vehicles have a range of close to or over 200 miles, I think the big issue for the charging infrastructure is going to be having enough fast chargers on motorways and trunk roads, oh, and the really thorny problem, charging points for those who don't have a garage or drive. I reckon the need for chargers in town may decline somewhat because I can't imagine those with their own home charger will bother to hook up at the supermarket. Tesco have recently started charging for anything over 15 minutes of charging, by the way.

The perfect car is really a push bike. Or your own two feet.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Electric cars… on 17:29 - Jul 26 with 6005 viewstoboboly

7 years? It'll never happen.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Electric cars… on 17:36 - Jul 26 with 5984 viewsR_from_afar

Electric cars… on 17:09 - Jul 26 by Paddyhoops

Getting a new electric company van next week so sussing out potential charging points in central London. Not many!

It depends where exactly you mean, but this article is interesting:
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-10406233/North-left-trailing

"Government data revealed that a single London borough boasts more charging points than six major cities combined.

Westminster has 1,095 charging ports, which outstrips the 977 available in Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham".

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Electric cars… on 17:36 - Jul 26 with 5986 viewsE17hoop

Electric cars… on 17:29 - Jul 26 by R_from_afar

Lithium mining is a messy process but then so is drilling for oil. Have you seen what the tar sands are like in Alberta? A wasteland.

The other thing with lithium is that most people who complain about how it is mined take a selective view. They rail at electric vehicles but happily buy other products which use lithium ion batteries, like mobile 'phones, laptops, electric toothbrushes, garden and power tools, and toys.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the fire risk from lithium batteries (remember, they are not just in vehicles and also remember that petrol contains carcinogenic benzene and diesel, though not flammable at normal temperatures and pressures, is toxic:

"Lithium-ion batteries can be a safety hazard if not properly engineered and manufactured since cells have flammable electrolytes and if damaged or incorrectly charged, can lead to explosions and fires. Much progress has been made in the development and manufacturing of safe lithium-ion batteries. Lithium ion all solid state batteries are being developed to eliminate the flammable electrolyte".

I have driven over 43000 miles on electric power in my electric vehicle and it has been a joy to drive and own, with no major problems. Now that most new all electric vehicles have a range of close to or over 200 miles, I think the big issue for the charging infrastructure is going to be having enough fast chargers on motorways and trunk roads, oh, and the really thorny problem, charging points for those who don't have a garage or drive. I reckon the need for chargers in town may decline somewhat because I can't imagine those with their own home charger will bother to hook up at the supermarket. Tesco have recently started charging for anything over 15 minutes of charging, by the way.

The lack of robust and developed infrastructure is the key hurdle. When more lamppost chargers are available - there are currently 2 on my street and there needs to be a dozen - things will change. Combining solar capture at supermarkets with charging points has to happen. Discounted charging costs for loyalty customers spending a minimum will be needed though. There's no incentive for supermarkets to invest in hardware if there's insufficient demand.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Login to get fewer ads

Electric cars… on 17:37 - Jul 26 with 5984 viewsloftupper

Electric cars… on 17:29 - Jul 26 by R_from_afar

Difficult to disagree with your last point..

Battery technology is improving and will improve at an accelerated rate the more the tech is bought into.

That being said I would imagine that post Uxbridge the appetite for any green initiative will disappear, and sales of new petrol cars will continue way beyond the planned phase out date
Electric cars… on 18:12 - Jul 26 with 5873 viewsizlingtonhoop

Electric cars… on 17:29 - Jul 26 by toboboly

7 years? It'll never happen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/25/gulf-st

Well. It needs to. Ormaybe it's already too late.
Electric cars… on 18:13 - Jul 26 with 5869 viewsRs_Holy

I’m leasing an MG4 having leased an ID3 for 8 months before it was written off by a f***wit hitting me on a roundabout.
I really like it (and liked the ID3) but I don’t do a lot of miles each week (150ish).
Also I wouldnt buy one right now but leasing works for me.
Test drive an EV and see what you think.
Electric cars… on 18:15 - Jul 26 with 5861 viewsDavieQPR

Two main draw backs for me is: 1 - Outer London and there is already a car on the one charging point and2- the number of different apps you need on your phone for number of different suppliers.
Electric cars… on 18:18 - Jul 26 with 5857 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Net zero will be the new HS2; a ridiculously expensive, poorly thought through Govt disaster. Opposition to ULEZ is only getting started and Labour are already wobbling about their support for it.

The Govt of the day will delay the net zero timetable when they realise that there won’t be enough batteries to meet demand and that we’ll be hugely dependent on Chinese battery production.
Electric cars… on 18:38 - Jul 26 with 5787 viewsloftupper

Electric cars… on 18:18 - Jul 26 by Beckenhamhoop

Net zero will be the new HS2; a ridiculously expensive, poorly thought through Govt disaster. Opposition to ULEZ is only getting started and Labour are already wobbling about their support for it.

The Govt of the day will delay the net zero timetable when they realise that there won’t be enough batteries to meet demand and that we’ll be hugely dependent on Chinese battery production.

Won't be anything to do with infrastructure, that will be one of the excuses people use and the government will be too scared to lose the votes.

We will continue to watch the temperatures rise, the forests burn etc
Electric cars… on 18:38 - Jul 26 with 5787 viewsbullythebear

If you can fit a home charger and don’t regularly do more than c.200 miles a day its a no brainer to get one….running cost/emissions/drive quality.
Companies like OVO and Octopus offer cheap electricity tariffs for EV drivers (check the compatibility of make/model of car/charger first).
If its a company car you’ll pay very little tax compared to petrol/diesel.
Charging infrastructure if you need to charge away from home is not perfect and is poor in some places but we’re on a journey with it. Its far far better than it was 1/2/3 years ago and will continue to improve. All new installs have chip and pin.
Consider a used EV. Batteries on anything under 5/6 years old are generally reliable and used EV prices have come down significantly over the last 6 months.
Electric cars… on 18:39 - Jul 26 with 5780 viewsdigswellhoop

electric cars are awfull would rather walk they damage the planet more than petrol cars just get rid of deisel
Electric cars… on 19:04 - Jul 26 with 5725 viewsloftboy

Electric cars… on 18:39 - Jul 26 by digswellhoop

electric cars are awfull would rather walk they damage the planet more than petrol cars just get rid of deisel

I drive a diesel, get 700 miles Out of a tank on a run. Not changing it anytime soon.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Electric cars… on 19:06 - Jul 26 with 5719 viewsNed_Kennedys

Plenty of charging points being added where I live and they have started marking off spaces as electric charging areas. However these are ignored by a lot of non electric drivers who park there anyway: no sign of tickets for these drivers yet. If they want this to work the council need to start issuing tickets the same as they would for parking in a disabled space.
Electric cars… on 19:12 - Jul 26 with 5709 viewsToast_R

Electric cars… on 18:12 - Jul 26 by izlingtonhoop

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/25/gulf-st

Well. It needs to. Ormaybe it's already too late.

Unless South America and Asia do the same, it won't change anything.
I think it's mental for this to be in 7 years. The British public transport network is utter trash and unreliable. Fix that first.
Electric cars… on 19:16 - Jul 26 with 5694 viewsQPR_John

I’m one of those with no road in front of my house. All very well having public charging ports but it takes me 10 minutes or so to fill up with petrol so how long to fully charge an electric car
Electric cars… on 19:17 - Jul 26 with 5694 viewsloftupper

Electric cars… on 19:12 - Jul 26 by Toast_R

Unless South America and Asia do the same, it won't change anything.
I think it's mental for this to be in 7 years. The British public transport network is utter trash and unreliable. Fix that first.

Lets just do nothing!

Not sure why people keep trying to justify it with lame excuses.
Electric cars… on 19:39 - Jul 26 with 5646 viewsbaz_qpr

Its going to be a mix of hydrogen and electric. The reality is most of the car producers are going to stop making petrol cars anyway.

The Chinese already have huge numbers on the road and a number of brands you've never heard off that will start to be coming into the UK. And yes the infrastructure needs to be there, in Korea and Sweden they have created some charging roads so you car charges as it drives.

As to buying an Electric car, I passed when I last bought a car last year because like most things tech there is a bit of a Moores law to this and the jump in capability and distance between charge etc will improve exponentially over the next 3-5 years
Electric cars… on 19:58 - Jul 26 with 5583 viewsCamberleyR

Electric cars… on 17:16 - Jul 26 by dmm

It's best to get a home charger and there's a Govt grant scheme to help with the cost.

You can't get the grant now though if you own your own house. That finished in April 2022. The grant now only applies to tenants in rented properties or owner occupiers of flats.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Electric cars… on 20:03 - Jul 26 with 5574 viewsdmm

Electric cars… on 19:58 - Jul 26 by CamberleyR

You can't get the grant now though if you own your own house. That finished in April 2022. The grant now only applies to tenants in rented properties or owner occupiers of flats.

Didn't know that Camberley. Thanks for the correction.
Electric cars… on 20:08 - Jul 26 with 5569 viewsLblock

The Great Climate Lie gathers more traction with each spinning week

Come back to me on apocalyptic weather if you like and I’ll simply call it weather.
Orderly queue for the sneers.

Invest in clearance of rubbish and I’m all for it - that’s the proper pollution. Recycle more shit, stop dropping shit into seas and land; don’t be trying to convince me cow shit is going to end the world along with other such garbage

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024