Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? 03:49 - Aug 6 with 33777 viewsSydneyRs

We all know things look very grim right now and many want him gone, but is there actually anyone available that would firstly even entertain this job and secondly be any better than GA given the obvious constraints?

I genuinely feel for the guy and believe he's giving it everything he has. But the constant forced positivity interviews that are getting very repetitive are wearing thin. He's inherited a mess for sure but it still feels like a lot of the players aren't having him or possibly just aren't having the club any more.

Its tough. He clearly had players at Wycombe who bought in and was able to build a culture there, but as we know there's a few here with questionable levels of commitment to say the least. How on earth can he turn it around and if not him who else could do better with no money available?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:20 - Aug 6 with 2165 viewsDejR_vu

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:02 - Aug 6 by nadera78

The Mark Warburton who lost £25million in 2021/22 chasing promotion and caused us to be in the dire FFP situation we are now? That Mark Warburton?

Lee Hoos controls the finances, not the manager. If the manager is spending money above the CFO’s and CEO’s heads, what are the CFO and CEO doing?
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 10:22]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:20 - Aug 6 with 2163 viewstraininvain

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:02 - Aug 6 by nadera78

The Mark Warburton who lost £25million in 2021/22 chasing promotion and caused us to be in the dire FFP situation we are now? That Mark Warburton?

I’d prefer the Warburton that developed Eze into a £20m footballer and gave the club some FFP headroom.

And let’s be honest, Warburton wasn’t setting transfer budgets during his time at the club. It shows a complete lack of understanding of how a football club works to suggest otherwise.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:28 - Aug 6 with 2110 viewsNed_Kennedys

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:03 - Aug 6 by supahoopsa

1. Mark Warburton
2. Chris Houghton - pretty sure he's with Ghana ATM, but perhaps we could tempt him?
3. Graham Potter - he no longer needs the money

1) Warburton is a part of the reason for where we are now. Totally blew his last season when the powers-that-be (including Warburton) foolishly decided to spend a few seasons’ budget to reach the playoffs and failed miserably. He needs and wants money to build a squad: we don’t have any. Armstrong and SDM would be further advanced now if Warburton hadn’t totally ignored the youth teams.

2) Hughton will no doubt be on a decent wage as an international manager, did a terrible job with Forest when they had a similar mass rebuilding job to do (similar to us but with money to spend)

3) Potter? Not a chance in hell!
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:35 - Aug 6 with 2053 viewspaulparker

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:28 - Aug 6 by Ned_Kennedys

1) Warburton is a part of the reason for where we are now. Totally blew his last season when the powers-that-be (including Warburton) foolishly decided to spend a few seasons’ budget to reach the playoffs and failed miserably. He needs and wants money to build a squad: we don’t have any. Armstrong and SDM would be further advanced now if Warburton hadn’t totally ignored the youth teams.

2) Hughton will no doubt be on a decent wage as an international manager, did a terrible job with Forest when they had a similar mass rebuilding job to do (similar to us but with money to spend)

Thank god someone else sees through the Myth that is Warburton, he had the best budget with players like Eze, BOS , Chair , Austin and didn’t get a sniff near the play offs
Wasted our money on Sanderson, Hendrick , Gray , Dozzell , Amos to name a few
Those calling for his return couldn’t of gone to any games from January 2021 to May 2021

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:36 - Aug 6 with 2062 viewsDejR_vu

I think that’s a bit harsh on MW there, Ned. He wasn’t in control of the finances, if he was what are the others doing? It was hair island that ignored the decent young players. MW took the same players and developed them into saleable assets (although, of course, our DoF managed to fail to get any money for some of them🤷🏻‍♂️).

SDM and the like have struggled in Leagues 1 and 2. They’re only playing because we have nothing else, not because they’re diamonds MW ignored

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:38 - Aug 6 with 2058 viewsJamesB1979

1) if we blew the budget, isn’t that down to DoF and CEO and the board? Of course a manager it going to want the best players he can get. Whether that gets approved comes from DoF and CEO. Warburton wasn’t happy with standard of our youth players. I think he’s been proven right!
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:47 - Aug 6 with 2009 viewsWhip_It

Our form hit freefall under Warburton as it has continued to do since he left, and he - like other before him - could only manage the job with an injection of 4-5 expensive players, cutting our throats in the long term.

That said, we are definitely going to be getting a new manager (one or more) this season. At some stage, we are going to have to do the long-term planning needed to be a competitive team operating on a sustainable budget, so I will be happy when we go back to this approach and appoint a manager I have never heard of before.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:51 - Aug 6 with 1983 viewsNed_Kennedys

I think we’d all agree that Warburton is not a ‘yes man’, happy to do what he’s told by the bosses. No chance he would have not been heavily involved in the terrible and expensive signings, contracts and loans that happened in his last year which we are now paying a heavy price for.
The second half of his last season was a disaster despite being given what he wanted.

His legacy is not a positive one I’m afraid.
Login to get fewer ads

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:54 - Aug 6 with 1957 viewsderbyhoop

Simple answer to the question is NO.

We've not got any money. Not even 350K for Forino. Allegedly, we're struggling to agree a deal for COOK, as we
We'd have to pay off GA and his staff and then tempt a new guy in, with no budget, a squad that is pitifully weak and no chance of doing anything about it until January. Even then, there are no guarantees we'll have any money to spend.

The appointments of MW, Beale and Critchley were out of a similar mode. GA is a major shift away from that. There will always be candidates. Whether any we could attract are any good is a totally different question.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:59 - Aug 6 with 1925 viewsRangersw12

The next manager needs to suit the squad and to that would be a technical manager who plays possession football.

GA should have gone in May but we've wasted a pre season with this ridiculous experiment.

Need to cut our losses now .

I suppose with what's happened over the last 12 months we would be looking at the Liam Manning and Karl Robinson types
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 11:01]
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:59 - Aug 6 with 1925 viewstraininvain

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:51 - Aug 6 by Ned_Kennedys

I think we’d all agree that Warburton is not a ‘yes man’, happy to do what he’s told by the bosses. No chance he would have not been heavily involved in the terrible and expensive signings, contracts and loans that happened in his last year which we are now paying a heavy price for.
The second half of his last season was a disaster despite being given what he wanted.

That’s a lot of conjecture presented as fact. And his legacy is positive enough for plenty on here to have him back in a heartbeat. Make of that what you will.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:01 - Aug 6 with 1910 viewsDejR_vu

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:51 - Aug 6 by Ned_Kennedys

So you’re in charge of The Crown Jewells. A member of staff who reports to you rather forcefully says he wants to take them home, you say yes, as he’s ever so forceful. Whose job is it to protect The Crown Jewells? Is he in the wrong for asking, or are you in the wrong for agreeing?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:07 - Aug 6 with 1879 viewsNed_Kennedys

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:59 - Aug 6 by traininvain

That’s a lot of conjecture presented as fact. And his legacy is positive enough for plenty on here to have him back in a heartbeat. Make of that what you will.

Plenty of facts in my post, unless you think poor old Warburton is the only QPR manager in ages who had no or very little involvement in any of the player recruitment.
And it’s a clear fact that the results and performances in his last four months were hopeless.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:09 - Aug 6 with 1874 viewsNov77

there are only 92 managerial vacancies, if we advertised tomorrow there would be a hundred applicants.
every manager goes into a job thinking they can turn even the most dire of situations around (didn't Gareth think that when he arrived with all of his bluster?)

chances of our current owners choosing the right one? close to zero.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:11 - Aug 6 with 1862 viewsDejR_vu

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:07 - Aug 6 by Ned_Kennedys

Plenty of facts in my post, unless you think poor old Warburton is the only QPR manager in ages who had no or very little involvement in any of the player recruitment.
And it’s a clear fact that the results and performances in his last four months were hopeless.

I’m curious why there are posters fixated on the last four months. I could quite as easily pick out four months where we were promotion contenders, but that would be disingenuous. Surely, judge him over his full tenure. The obvious way to do it is to look at league position. No one has done better since relegation 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:15 - Aug 6 with 1849 viewskernowhoop

Timing. Transfer window. If the 'good' players are sold and Gareth gets the players in that he wants; then fails to get us up the league and gets scked, who would want his inheritance?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:17 - Aug 6 with 1843 viewstraininvain

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:07 - Aug 6 by Ned_Kennedys

I’m sure he had some input which includes rejecting the opportunity to bring in another striker during his final transfer window at the club. But that doesn’t fit with your narrative. And it’s ridiculous to suggest that Warburton had any real control over the club’s transfer budget.

As for his last four months, yes it was poor but his record was still better than Ainsworth’s which is a low bar admittedly. But if you look at the overall picture under Warburton you’ll see that he had a similar squad finishing in the upper half of the league and generally playing attractive football.

And perhaps more importantly for the club’s model, Warburton was improving the saleable assets within the squad like Willock, Chair, Dickie etc. All of whom have regressed to varying degrees since he left.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:17 - Aug 6 with 1843 viewsnadera78

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:20 - Aug 6 by traininvain

I’d prefer the Warburton that developed Eze into a £20m footballer and gave the club some FFP headroom.

And let’s be honest, Warburton wasn’t setting transfer budgets during his time at the club. It shows a complete lack of understanding of how a football club works to suggest otherwise.

To suggest that Mark Warburton wasn't pushing to spend every penny he possibly could, and cajoling the owners into backing him on that, shows a complete lack of understanding of how a football club works.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:18 - Aug 6 with 1838 viewsGloucs_R

Gallen as DOF and Bowyer?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:31 - Aug 6 with 1802 viewsQPR_Jim

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:01 - Aug 6 by DejR_vu

So you’re in charge of The Crown Jewells. A member of staff who reports to you rather forcefully says he wants to take them home, you say yes, as he’s ever so forceful. Whose job is it to protect The Crown Jewells? Is he in the wrong for asking, or are you in the wrong for agreeing?

To continue your analogy, you wouldn't then replace the guy in charge of the crown jewels with the member of staff who stole them. (Which we'd effectively be doing if you brought him back as manager without a DoF)

LF wasn't doing the role properly by allowing managers to sign who they want and it's contributed to where we are now. But I'm not sure how we know if that is a result of LF not doing the job properly or whether he was restricted by others above him. If the latter you could argue that he should have left sooner or been more forceful but we just don't know what was going on behind the scenes.

It was certainly well reported that Warbs got what he wanted that Jan and effectively put us on the path to where we are now. Which should be enough to put some question marks against re-appointing him in any capacity. If we are to replace Ainsworth we would probably be best to get someone we've not had before rather than choosing the best option we can find from people linked to the club.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:32 - Aug 6 with 1801 viewstraininvain

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:17 - Aug 6 by nadera78

To suggest that Mark Warburton wasn't pushing to spend every penny he possibly could, and cajoling the owners into backing him on that, shows a complete lack of understanding of how a football club works.

Ok let’s try this another way. If Man City are found guilty of the 100+ FFP charges who will be to blame, Pep Guardiola (or whoever was manager at the time) or the people above him running the club?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:43 - Aug 6 with 1769 viewsDejR_vu

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:17 - Aug 6 by nadera78

I’m sure the manager at every single club up and down the country is jockeying for more money, more signings because his job is, literally, to win football matches and he has a better chance of doing it with players perceived to be better. You can’t blame any manager for doing that because it’s not his job to know about and worry about the finances. If it was, there would be no need for a CFO. I’m assuming the difference between well run clubs and the poorly run ones is that the former don’t allow the tail to wag the dog, for the reasons we’re witnessing here first hand.

We have weak, clueless owners. If that wasn’t the case we would have staff in position who knew how to do their jobs, who wouldn’t tolerate interference, who wouldn’t bow to pressure, and, as a result, we wouldn’t be in this mess.

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:54 - Aug 6 with 1728 viewsdmm

I don't know what the figures would be but surely the expense of sacking Ainsworth and his team would be less than the expense of relegation, no?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:00 - Aug 6 with 1692 viewsSakura

I agree. It's time for practical action

I remember since after the Blackpool game asking the "boo boys" were they advocating sacking Ainsworth then and they weren't. So if he's not changing being a "boo boy" served no purpose. It didn't help the club if you weren't advocating actions. Just pointing out things were going badly

But now it's clear from the Oxford and Watford game we are going backwards. We haven't got his players in yet and their is an argument to be made for things being better when you replace the likes of Gubbins, Kakay, Dozzell and Kelman with his signings

But its the manner of our performances. GA's conscious effort to lower expectations. I watched Chair in that first half closely and he was walking. So demoralised at the way he wants him to play

I would try bringing Warburton back and tell him we aren't hiring a DOF. He's got the job 5 years if he wants it. Make it known that's the case when we hire him. No DOF would also off set the cost of GA pay off. Don’t sack Dobson!!!

You only have to look at the mess of West Ham this summer since they brought the new DOF in who clashes with Moyes

Give this club back to Warburton and let him make the final few signings this window.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 12:01]
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:10 - Aug 6 with 1673 viewsnadera78

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:43 - Aug 6 by DejR_vu

I’m sure the manager at every single club up and down the country is jockeying for more money, more signings because his job is, literally, to win football matches and he has a better chance of doing it with players perceived to be better. You can’t blame any manager for doing that because it’s not his job to know about and worry about the finances. If it was, there would be no need for a CFO. I’m assuming the difference between well run clubs and the poorly run ones is that the former don’t allow the tail to wag the dog, for the reasons we’re witnessing here first hand.

We have weak, clueless owners. If that wasn’t the case we would have staff in position who knew how to do their jobs, who wouldn’t tolerate interference, who wouldn’t bow to pressure, and, as a result, we wouldn’t be in this mess.

Agree with you 100% on the owners.

But Warburton knew the situation and he still went gangbusters. You can't separate Warburton from the decisions made that season. He was, and remains, as responsible as Hoos, Ferdinand and the owners.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024