Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? 03:49 - Aug 6 with 33012 viewsSydneyRs

We all know things look very grim right now and many want him gone, but is there actually anyone available that would firstly even entertain this job and secondly be any better than GA given the obvious constraints?

I genuinely feel for the guy and believe he's giving it everything he has. But the constant forced positivity interviews that are getting very repetitive are wearing thin. He's inherited a mess for sure but it still feels like a lot of the players aren't having him or possibly just aren't having the club any more.

Its tough. He clearly had players at Wycombe who bought in and was able to build a culture there, but as we know there's a few here with questionable levels of commitment to say the least. How on earth can he turn it around and if not him who else could do better with no money available?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:13 - Aug 6 with 2314 viewsNorthernr

The first question any potential new manager is going to ask, apart from his own salary, is how much money is there to spend. The answer here is less than zero, it's zero and we need you to sell at least one more of the players you do have. That sets the sort of candidate you'll get at a very specific level. We were only able to get somebody as 'good' as Ainsworth and with his record because he loves the club and had been desperate to come here for years.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:16 - Aug 6 with 2266 viewsSakura

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:17 - Aug 6 by nadera78

To suggest that Mark Warburton wasn't pushing to spend every penny he possibly could, and cajoling the owners into backing him on that, shows a complete lack of understanding of how a football club works.

You bring Warburton in (if he accepts) and have no DOF.

Amit and the board set the budgets for him each season. And the finance people work with him to adhere to that

There you go. Problem solved
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:16 - Aug 6 with 2259 viewsSakura

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:13 - Aug 6 by Northernr

The first question any potential new manager is going to ask, apart from his own salary, is how much money is there to spend. The answer here is less than zero, it's zero and we need you to sell at least one more of the players you do have. That sets the sort of candidate you'll get at a very specific level. We were only able to get somebody as 'good' as Ainsworth and with his record because he loves the club and had been desperate to come here for years.

We are offering Steve Cook. Zero pounds a week?

Wow
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:21 - Aug 6 with 2268 viewsnadera78

TBH I think it's way past time the owners came out and said in the simplest, clearest language possible "We have no money to spend! This squad is all we can afford! This manager is al we can afford!"

Then no-one can have any doubts about the situation and they have a choice as to how they behave for the rest of the season.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:26 - Aug 6 with 2214 viewsPhilmyRs

So you’re saying GA is the best we could get given the finances available at the time? Not sure I’d agree with that. Still an attractive option for many managers, knowing the longer term financial clout available, the training facilities and overall potential of the club long term could definitely tempt some managers, and I’d wager they’d have been more suitable than GA given our model over the last 5 years which we’ve been tying to put in place.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:28 - Aug 6 with 2196 viewsJamesB1979

I still think we’re pretty well known club in Europe. I sure there’s up and coming managers throughout Europe that would jump at chance to manage us. Forward thinkers, develop players, set up their teams well. Lots of clubs don’t have money these days.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:28 - Aug 6 with 2196 viewsNorthernr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:26 - Aug 6 by PhilmyRs

So you’re saying GA is the best we could get given the finances available at the time? Not sure I’d agree with that. Still an attractive option for many managers, knowing the longer term financial clout available, the training facilities and overall potential of the club long term could definitely tempt some managers, and I’d wager they’d have been more suitable than GA given our model over the last 5 years which we’ve been tying to put in place.

I'd be amazed if any halfway decent manager would want to take this squad on now at this point with the resources available to do something about it.

End of the season/next summer probably a different matter, but you'd have to be bloody mad or desperate to take this job in its present form.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:30 - Aug 6 with 2180 viewsNorthernr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:28 - Aug 6 by JamesB1979

I still think we’re pretty well known club in Europe. I sure there’s up and coming managers throughout Europe that would jump at chance to manage us. Forward thinkers, develop players, set up their teams well. Lots of clubs don’t have money these days.

And if that was the case (like I say I don't think it is at this precise moment) what indication have the people who run our club given you that they'd be able to identify these people and appoint the right one?
Login to get fewer ads

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:33 - Aug 6 with 2141 viewsCamberleyR

Although we got burnt by Boilface, were we to change manager, which I think we should, we should go down that route again in looking to recruit someone who has not been a number one before, someone ambitious currently looking for their first managerial/head coach role. We should avoid someone on the managerial merry go round.

Give them this season as a free hit, if we stay up fantastic but if not back them to rebuild the club in L1.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:33 - Aug 6 with 2138 viewsGaryBannister86

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:30 - Aug 6 by Northernr

And if that was the case (like I say I don't think it is at this precise moment) what indication have the people who run our club given you that they'd be able to identify these people and appoint the right one?

Not much of an indication. It isn't all going to lead to Nathan Jones, looking for redemption is it?

We hate him, he hates us, its just the sort of quality appointment our owners would go for.

Providing he is happy to work on a no win, no wages basis of course.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:34 - Aug 6 with 2125 viewsJamesB1979

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:30 - Aug 6 by Northernr

Can’t argue with 2nd point. Usual names every time we change manager.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:53 - Aug 6 with 2055 viewsPhilmyRs

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:28 - Aug 6 by Northernr

I'd be amazed if any halfway decent manager would want to take this squad on now at this point with the resources available to do something about it.

End of the season/next summer probably a different matter, but you'd have to be bloody mad or desperate to take this job in its present form.

Ok, but at the time of appointing Ainsworth it was not such a car crash right? We could have chosen better?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:56 - Aug 6 with 2043 viewsNorthernr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:53 - Aug 6 by PhilmyRs

Ok, but at the time of appointing Ainsworth it was not such a car crash right? We could have chosen better?

Potentially, but then I thought Critchley was quite a sound appointment.

And any manager would have been aware of what would have to be done this summer regards reducing the wage bill, building the team with nothing to spend etc. Beale was sounding the alarm about it in meetings with us 12 months ago, probably why he was so keen to get out first chance he got.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:34 - Aug 6 with 1920 viewsbaz_qpr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:56 - Aug 6 by Northernr

Potentially, but then I thought Critchley was quite a sound appointment.

And any manager would have been aware of what would have to be done this summer regards reducing the wage bill, building the team with nothing to spend etc. Beale was sounding the alarm about it in meetings with us 12 months ago, probably why he was so keen to get out first chance he got.

I think watching Villa fall apart under Critchley following Beale should have been a red flag. Sliding doors moment if Beale had taken Wolves it would have been Rob Edwards and who knows where we would be.

Ainsowrth saying he wants to change everything should also have been a huge red flag but it was a PR stunt at best Amit thinking he was making a Warnock style appointment.

Going back to Warburton IMHO is also a mistake, never go back, it never works.

We need to rewind the clock to February put the bath back and refill the bathwater and make an appointment of a coach that can coach to what little strengths we have, that can organise that has pattern of play both defensively and attacking, that can adapt in game. Don't care if English or foreign or if they have never heard of QPR before. I cannot see anything but relegation and rock bottom as things stand.

Another roll of the dice cannot make it worse
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:43 - Aug 6 with 1893 viewstraininvain

The problem is that Ainsworth was always an appointment with one eye on relegation to league one and that’s where we’ll probably be next season. But I doubt Ainsworth will be our manager as the pressure to sack him is only going to build with each poor result over the next few months.

The irony is that Ainsworth probably would’ve been a good appointment following relegation to galvanise the fans and his track record in league one is good. This was our emergency relegation managerial appointment and the stupid club couldn’t even get this right.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:44 - Aug 6 with 1889 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:10 - Aug 6 by nadera78

Agree with you 100% on the owners.

But Warburton knew the situation and he still went gangbusters. You can't separate Warburton from the decisions made that season. He was, and remains, as responsible as Hoos, Ferdinand and the owners.

Gangbusters?
He brought in some free transfers.
He worked with a smaller budget and spent less than any manager we had in years. The issue was less recruiting Stef and Austin than not making a sale to mitigate it.
It was also looking great as late as end of Feb last year, and whatever anyone says, that run of injuries was cruel. It’s not like he spent like Redknapp ffs.

Bare bones.

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:53 - Aug 6 with 1859 viewsNorthernr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:34 - Aug 6 by baz_qpr

I think watching Villa fall apart under Critchley following Beale should have been a red flag. Sliding doors moment if Beale had taken Wolves it would have been Rob Edwards and who knows where we would be.

Ainsowrth saying he wants to change everything should also have been a huge red flag but it was a PR stunt at best Amit thinking he was making a Warnock style appointment.

Going back to Warburton IMHO is also a mistake, never go back, it never works.

We need to rewind the clock to February put the bath back and refill the bathwater and make an appointment of a coach that can coach to what little strengths we have, that can organise that has pattern of play both defensively and attacking, that can adapt in game. Don't care if English or foreign or if they have never heard of QPR before. I cannot see anything but relegation and rock bottom as things stand.

Another roll of the dice cannot make it worse

I don't disagree mate, feels from your posts today that you and I feel exactly the same today.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:10 - Aug 6 with 1797 viewsGloucs_R

Gary O'Neil?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:27 - Aug 6 with 1728 viewsJuzzie

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:10 - Aug 6 by Gloucs_R

Gary O'Neil?

[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 14:35]
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:34 - Aug 6 with 1698 viewsJuzzie

I’m hoping we can ride out this storm.
Other clubs will start getting points deductions and then having to cut their cloth or other clubs will start having to do that before they get deductions so things will start to level out but we’ll then be ahead of the game.
Not saying that’ll get us any kind of success, just hope it means we’ll won’t at least be in the schit.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:28 - Aug 6 with 1569 viewsQPunkR

Arguing a manager might come here because "he doesn't need the money any more" is the height of idiocy and scraping at barrels.
No-one in the top couple of divisions 'needs the money' given what they're all warning or have earned. Doesn't stop top players currently flocking to Saudi Arabia. Everyone in football is constantly looking for more money, same among managers as it is players. In other jobs too.
Secondly, even if someone doesn't need the money any more, surely there are clubs just as up against the wall as us that are far more attractive a proposition

QPR - "shit but local"

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:32 - Aug 6 with 1557 viewsMickB

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 06:09 - Aug 6 by PlanetHonneywood

The response of the fanbase was pretty unanimous on the prospect of his return: that this wasn't a good idea, and had the potential to go horribly wrong.

Thus, what's transpired is of no surprise to us. Of course, when I say us, that doesn't include the boardroom bellends who, yet again, have made another poor decision.

The problem since August 2011, no institutional football intelligence in the place. In fact, no intelligence at all. Every problem at QPR emanates from the top, and after 12 years of it, not sure how much more stretch the elastic has.

QPR will remain in perpetual doom until such time as we have fools driving the bus.

Personally, I had hoped after a litany of cowboys, the Indians might be an improvement. Turns out they were bigger clowns.

So let me get this straight. You want the fools to drive the bus?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:42 - Aug 6 with 1533 viewsJamesB1979

Ainsworth does seem to like having slight digs at previous region ie Critchley. Comes across as pretty arrogant when he does that with little to back it up. Critchley did come across as decent fella if nothing else. Started well at Blackpool too.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:57 - Aug 6 with 1499 viewsnadera78

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:44 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

Gangbusters?
He brought in some free transfers.
He worked with a smaller budget and spent less than any manager we had in years. The issue was less recruiting Stef and Austin than not making a sale to mitigate it.
It was also looking great as late as end of Feb last year, and whatever anyone says, that run of injuries was cruel. It’s not like he spent like Redknapp ffs.

If we're using the mind-bindingly insane Redknapp promotion season as a guide then absolutely everything else is going to look perfectly normal. In my book, however, losing £25million in one season deserves to be described as going gangbusters.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:02 - Aug 6 with 1474 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:57 - Aug 6 by nadera78

If we're using the mind-bindingly insane Redknapp promotion season as a guide then absolutely everything else is going to look perfectly normal. In my book, however, losing £25million in one season deserves to be described as going gangbusters.

That's what we lose every season unless we sell Eze though. One sale last summer, when we should have sacrificed one player, and we'd be in a much better place now with some wriggle room.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024