Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Going against the grain 07:54 - Nov 10 with 6308 viewsGaryBannister86

With deference to the excellent under-rated thread - and the fact that I have a vastly different opinion on Holloway to most - who are the Rangers players / managers that you haven't liked or rated when the majority of R's fans really liked and rated? I guess...those you just don't....get? Can be controversial....like these.....

I never liked Holloway as a player, nor as a manager. Don't think coming second in League One on the biggest budget made him or his team "legends". I know that puts me in the minority.

Ale Faurliin - I never thought he was THAT good. Not as good as many appear to make out, anyway. *ducks for cover*

David Bardsley - lovely bloke, thought he was made to look far better than he was by Les latching on to his punts up the channel. Remember when Les went, Dichio plodding after them didn't look as great. Prone to too many errors, too. Obviously, with the experience of seeing every right back afterwards, I think I was spectacularly harsh.

Going against the grain on 07:57 - Nov 10 with 4862 viewsWokingR

Can understand your point re Holloway as always found him very 'marmite'.

But Faurlin ?
Get out !!!!!!!

Will be surprised if we ever hear from you again once Clive reads this.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 7:58]
Going against the grain on 08:00 - Nov 10 with 4831 viewsGaryBannister86

Going against the grain on 07:57 - Nov 10 by WokingR

Can understand your point re Holloway as always found him very 'marmite'.

But Faurlin ?
Get out !!!!!!!

Will be surprised if we ever hear from you again once Clive reads this.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 7:58]

Ha ha!

Not saying I didn't like Faurlin - obviously a good player (like Bardsley), just saying I didn't quite have the love that others did.

Running away now!
Going against the grain on 08:01 - Nov 10 with 4826 viewseastside_r

Obviously you’re entitled to your opinion…………………on the first two.

But not rating David Bardsley is heresy.
Going against the grain on 08:03 - Nov 10 with 4809 viewsGaryBannister86

Going against the grain on 08:01 - Nov 10 by eastside_r

I actually agree. I blame my youth. I didn't get him at the time and probably threw my toys out the pram when Les left and blamed him instead.

I was very, very, very wrong. If he was here now I would.....worship him.
Going against the grain on 08:17 - Nov 10 with 4758 viewsHastings_Hoops

Going against the grain on 08:01 - Nov 10 by eastside_r

I remember one game in the early/mid 90’s where we lost the ball about 30 yards from the opposition goal and the other team’s winger broke away at pace running towards the loft next to the paddocks. Bardsley chased him all the way back to the corner of our 18yard box, made up a couple of yards on him, executed a perfect sliding tackle and put the ball into touch. He got up and celebrated like Stuart Pearce scoring a goal - absolute machine.
Going against the grain on 08:48 - Nov 10 with 4701 viewsdmm

Going against the grain on 08:17 - Nov 10 by Hastings_Hoops

I remember one game in the early/mid 90’s where we lost the ball about 30 yards from the opposition goal and the other team’s winger broke away at pace running towards the loft next to the paddocks. Bardsley chased him all the way back to the corner of our 18yard box, made up a couple of yards on him, executed a perfect sliding tackle and put the ball into touch. He got up and celebrated like Stuart Pearce scoring a goal - absolute machine.

Yep, I clearly remember that too.

Bardsley's 'banana balls' down the line was a thing I remember him frequently doing as well.
Going against the grain on 08:50 - Nov 10 with 4702 viewsRebalhoop

Going against the grain on 08:03 - Nov 10 by GaryBannister86

I actually agree. I blame my youth. I didn't get him at the time and probably threw my toys out the pram when Les left and blamed him instead.

I was very, very, very wrong. If he was here now I would.....worship him.

Martyn Busby…again I blame my youth,me and my mate used to dig him out for every mistake he made.
I was able to apologise to him when he became the landlord of my local,many years later 😊
Going against the grain on 08:54 - Nov 10 with 4674 viewsToast_R

My first real insight into Ale Faurlin's quality was just after NW had taken over and we went to Crystal Palace to secure a win and our place in the Championship. I remember thinking how he won every 50/50 ball and not only that, every time he did get the ball, he'd play it effortlessly into someones feet and chose the right option every time. There was even one challenge when I think he got a whack and he was hobbling around on one foot until the ball came over and he still managed to win the ball in the air. It was quite incredible seeing this considering how absolutely hopeless the QPR team had been just a few weeks earlier. I knew then, he was heads and shoulders above the dross in that division.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 8:57]
Login to get fewer ads

Going against the grain on 09:32 - Nov 10 with 4564 viewsBluce_Ree

GAVIN PEACOCK.

Man, people suck his holy cock right off but he was NUMBER ONE BULLSHIT.

Yeah, look. If we were two or three up at home, he looked pretty good. But when we needed a performance out of the man, he was f**king anonymous as f**k. A shit, slow luxury we couldn't afford.

And I still reckon there was some f*ckery going on with his penalties.

Do you remember? He always put them low to the left of the keeper. Anyway, eventually one of them figured that out and saved one. But there was some sort of problem and so the ref said we had to retake it. Rather than, you know, pick another spot to put the ball, Gavin gave up the penalty to another one of our players.

What the F**K is that SHIT? Did he have some sort of bet that he could only put penalties in that one place? Did he have some sort of MUSCLE MADNESS where he could only shoot in that direction? Did he have some sort of OCD that meant that if he placed it anywhere else, he'd go to ACTUAL HELL?

Man, f**k Gavin Peacock. He's a BULLSHITMAN.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Going against the grain on 09:48 - Nov 10 with 4521 viewsGaryBannister86

Going against the grain on 09:32 - Nov 10 by Bluce_Ree

GAVIN PEACOCK.

Man, people suck his holy cock right off but he was NUMBER ONE BULLSHIT.

Yeah, look. If we were two or three up at home, he looked pretty good. But when we needed a performance out of the man, he was f**king anonymous as f**k. A shit, slow luxury we couldn't afford.

And I still reckon there was some f*ckery going on with his penalties.

Do you remember? He always put them low to the left of the keeper. Anyway, eventually one of them figured that out and saved one. But there was some sort of problem and so the ref said we had to retake it. Rather than, you know, pick another spot to put the ball, Gavin gave up the penalty to another one of our players.

What the F**K is that SHIT? Did he have some sort of bet that he could only put penalties in that one place? Did he have some sort of MUSCLE MADNESS where he could only shoot in that direction? Did he have some sort of OCD that meant that if he placed it anywhere else, he'd go to ACTUAL HELL?

Man, f**k Gavin Peacock. He's a BULLSHITMAN.

Peacock was a strange one. Could clearly play but was a bit odd.

I remember once, was it at West Brom?, he scored to pull one back with not long to go (maybe 2-3 the score or something) and he started giving it the big one in front of the away end - who to a man, woman and child were telling him to get the f+++ back to the centre circle and look for an equaliser!
Going against the grain on 09:54 - Nov 10 with 4479 viewsMalintabuk

Slightly hijack this by going for a footballer that always got stick at QPR but I thought as a yooof was good..... Alan Wilkes.
I know he came from the scum and only played a few games for us before moving onto the Gills I believe, but I think he scoring ratio was 1in3 or thereabouts and was a lot better than given credit for
I think him replacing Rodnee when the god was injured never endeared him to us.....
I won't even go do the road of Keith Sanderson and Micky Leach who were much maligned
Going against the grain on 09:59 - Nov 10 with 4450 viewsCateLeBonR

Akos Buszaky. I think I must have missed most of his best games somehow because my memory of him is being hampered by injury and mostly ineffectual. I can’t remember hearing a bad word against him from any other Rangers fans. Very decent scoring record but his appearance record for us over his time here kind of backs me up. Great song though! I reckon we should use it for Rayan Kolli if he ever gets his act together.
Going against the grain on 10:00 - Nov 10 with 4439 viewsJuzzie

re: Bardsley.... "Remember when Les went, Dichio plodding after them didn't look as great". Maybe that was a problem with Dichio, not Bardsley?
Going against the grain on 10:04 - Nov 10 with 4416 viewsBluce_Ree

Going against the grain on 10:00 - Nov 10 by Juzzie

re: Bardsley.... "Remember when Les went, Dichio plodding after them didn't look as great". Maybe that was a problem with Dichio, not Bardsley?

By that logic Hateley was the problem.

Going against the grain on 10:19 - Nov 10 with 4358 viewsJuzzie

Going against the grain on 10:04 - Nov 10 by Bluce_Ree

By that logic Hateley was the problem.

He was, 'cos he was schit!
Going against the grain on 10:46 - Nov 10 with 4283 viewsjohnhoop

Going against the grain on 08:54 - Nov 10 by Toast_R

My first real insight into Ale Faurlin's quality was just after NW had taken over and we went to Crystal Palace to secure a win and our place in the Championship. I remember thinking how he won every 50/50 ball and not only that, every time he did get the ball, he'd play it effortlessly into someones feet and chose the right option every time. There was even one challenge when I think he got a whack and he was hobbling around on one foot until the ball came over and he still managed to win the ball in the air. It was quite incredible seeing this considering how absolutely hopeless the QPR team had been just a few weeks earlier. I knew then, he was heads and shoulders above the dross in that division.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 8:57]

Still think that if the injuries had never happened, he’d have played for Argentina.
Going against the grain on 10:50 - Nov 10 with 4260 viewsCamberleyR

We saw how much we missed Bardsley in the team when he got his bad achilles injury in '96 and the season after relegation from the Prem we had to put up with the likes of Karl Ready and Mark Graham badly failing to deputise, even Andy Impey was put in for a few games FFS.

Another thing to hold against Houston along with not signing Spencer two months before he did, was knowing that Bardsley was likely to miss the whole season through injury (he ended up missing the best part of two) and not signing a replacement right back. The only time we had a competent right back that season was Matt Jackson on loan but Houston dithered (again) in signing him permanently and he eventually went to Norwich.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Going against the grain on 12:28 - Nov 10 with 4088 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I know I've only seen snippets, and the Beautiful One may be exactly what he needs, but I'm not yet in the Sinclair Armstrong love-in club.

Certainly seems a genuinely nice guy though.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Going against the grain on 13:08 - Nov 10 with 3995 viewsaston_hoop

I never rated Marc Bircham. Sure he loved the club, we all do, thats why we're at Loftus Road watching the team or posting on a messageboard. But for someone who apparrently turned down top flight moves, I just expected a bit more. Just never did it for me

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Going against the grain on 13:10 - Nov 10 with 3990 viewsBluce_Ree

Going against the grain on 13:08 - Nov 10 by aston_hoop

I never rated Marc Bircham. Sure he loved the club, we all do, thats why we're at Loftus Road watching the team or posting on a messageboard. But for someone who apparrently turned down top flight moves, I just expected a bit more. Just never did it for me

This. The man got by on blue hair alone.

Going against the grain on 13:31 - Nov 10 with 3922 viewskingsburyR

This is some Thread!!!

Ahhhhhhh.... The years of Willow and Bardsley as full back. We will never see that quality again at Loftus Road EVER! Bardsley just shaded it for me but only just.

Faurlin was a fantastic player for us both skill and commitment wise.

Holloway I can take or leave.

Anyone digs out Adel Taarabt and I will hunt you down!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Going against the grain on 13:40 - Nov 10 with 3894 viewsAntti_Heinola

Going against the grain on 13:31 - Nov 10 by kingsburyR

This is some Thread!!!

Ahhhhhhh.... The years of Willow and Bardsley as full back. We will never see that quality again at Loftus Road EVER! Bardsley just shaded it for me but only just.

Faurlin was a fantastic player for us both skill and commitment wise.

Holloway I can take or leave.

Anyone digs out Adel Taarabt and I will hunt you down!

Willo edged it for me. Absolutely superb full back, converted by Gerry I think? Maybe Don Howe.

I can’t believe people question Akos. A diamond. That’s what i pay to see at football. A beautiful player.

I thought danny simpson was overrated by fans. Then he won the prem ha ha. Shows what i know.

This is real heresy, but i thought Derry was a bit overrated. Only a bit, i loved him.

Bare bones.

Going against the grain on 13:44 - Nov 10 with 3880 viewsderbyhoop

Didnt rate Ainsworth as a player. Anybody can make an effort; every player should. But there's no substitute for quality. And even GA's closest friends would call it perspiration over inspiration.

Never thought Zesh Rehman was as bad as he is painted. He played alongside Damion Stewart, who had plenty of errors in him.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Going against the grain on 14:09 - Nov 10 with 3805 viewsTakeNoPrisonRrrrs

Don’t know how this is going to go down and I don’t know if my memory serves me correctly ,But ….
Andy Sinton very a good player but I don’t know the stats but when we were struggling or losing in a game he always seemed to get subbed or got injured
Ray Wilkins RIP
Lovely man , and scored a couple of great goals for us but never thought he was that great for us and I think it was him who spunked the Les money ….or it might just be he played for the unmentionables
GOAT for me ,the proper Legend Macca RIP
Going against the grain on 14:13 - Nov 10 with 3784 viewsslmrstid

Going against the grain on 12:28 - Nov 10 by PlanetHonneywood

I know I've only seen snippets, and the Beautiful One may be exactly what he needs, but I'm not yet in the Sinclair Armstrong love-in club.

Certainly seems a genuinely nice guy though.

You're not alone, I think the same about young Sinclair at the minute.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024