Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Barton 09:38 - Dec 7 with 63744 viewsHayesender

I think he's been on the sauce. Having a right old rant about women commentators

https://x.com/Joey7Barton?t=F75tX2JiioFteGA70R3MCA&s=09

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Joey Barton on 08:13 - Dec 11 with 3294 viewsngbqpr

Despatch from the 'real world' of kids grass roots football.

I have been deeply involved in this, coaching literally thousands of boys & girls and mentoring hundreds of volunteer parent coaches, for 20 years.

In the wake of the Lionesses' success, and perhaps more importantly, its visibility, we have seen the number of girls playing sky rocket.

Now that in itself may not be a surprise, but I have also noted:

- the girls being way more confident simply in the act of 'coming to play football', like they feel it is a natural place for them to be
- when I work with mixed groups, not one boy acting as if this is remotely out of the ordinary or 'not right'
- a surge in women volunteering to coach (boys teams as well as girls)
- no players questioning having a woman as their coach (and no parents either, certainly not publicly)

I am utterly convinced that this is NOT just down to the success of the national women's team and the exposure they have been given. It is equally down to female presenters, pundits and commentators now being the norm. It's no longer a boys' club on TV, and that is reflected in kids' football.

Some are great, some good, some indifferent, some awful. Much like their male counterparts.

But I have yet to witness one who is as odious, hateful an individual as Joseph Barton.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Joey Barton on 08:47 - Dec 11 with 3208 viewsGaryBannister86

Joey Barton on 08:13 - Dec 11 by ngbqpr

I have been deeply involved in this, coaching literally thousands of boys & girls and mentoring hundreds of volunteer parent coaches, for 20 years.

In the wake of the Lionesses' success, and perhaps more importantly, its visibility, we have seen the number of girls playing sky rocket.

- the girls being way more confident simply in the act of 'coming to play football', like they feel it is a natural place for them to be
- when I work with mixed groups, not one boy acting as if this is remotely out of the ordinary or 'not right'
- no players questioning having a woman as their coach (and no parents either, certainly not publicly)

I am utterly convinced that this is NOT just down to the success of the national women's team and the exposure they have been given. It is equally down to female presenters, pundits and commentators now being the norm. It's no longer a boys' club on TV, and that is reflected in kids' football.

Some are great, some good, some indifferent, some awful. Much like their male counterparts.

But I have yet to witness one who is as odious, hateful an individual as Joseph Barton.

Brilliant post - this is what it is all about.

Fat middle aged men like many of us may take time to get used to women being involved in football, but it really isn't important as to whether some of us find Vicky Sparks annoying or refuse to believe that Alex Scott can't know as much as Joe Cole because she has never played men's football.

It's a far cry now thankfully from "get yet *** out for the lads" or even the (needs to be changed, and quick) - West London is Wonderful following lines - seen Dads with young daughters singing this, many girls now in the Loft looking uncomfortable, needs to stop).

Rangers need to get on board, get our women's side playing permanently at LR and also plot a path to becoming fully professional and targeting Women's championship and ultimately the WSL. We need to build on our female fan base. 60,000 at the Emirates yesterday. Even commercially, can't be ignored.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 8:48]
Joey Barton on 10:25 - Dec 11 with 3031 viewsSonofpugwash

From Gavin Peacock this morning on social media....

"Men & women are equal in value but physically different.

For women to give expert opinion on men’s football as pundits or co commentators is like advising on driving a Ferrari at 200mph when you’ve only driven a Morris Minor at 60mph.

That’s not sexist, just a physical fact."

60 mph with a hurricane tailwind maybe...

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Joey Barton on 10:31 - Dec 11 with 3028 viewsGaryBannister86

Joey Barton on 10:25 - Dec 11 by Sonofpugwash

From Gavin Peacock this morning on social media....

"Men & women are equal in value but physically different.

For women to give expert opinion on men’s football as pundits or co commentators is like advising on driving a Ferrari at 200mph when you’ve only driven a Morris Minor at 60mph.

That’s not sexist, just a physical fact."

60 mph with a hurricane tailwind maybe...

Well let's hope Marti is never asked to be a pundit.

Obviously, as he's never played professional men's football, he hasn't a clue and is 100% not entitled to have any opinions about it.
Joey Barton on 12:28 - Dec 11 with 2828 viewsSheffieldHoop

Right. So basically....
Crap punditry is perfectly fine for some; so long as a clear effort is being made to ensure all of the potential audience has on-screen "Representation" and the show is designed to appeal to a broad range of people (Regardless of who is actually watching)

And crap punditry is perfectly fine for others so long as the person doing it is speaking from experience and is a credible name amongst the audience. Bit of nostalgia, yeah he might not know about that knock from midweek, but what about his goal & the celebration at that end back in 2010 etc.

Wouldn't female fans of male football clubs prefer to see their equivalent of Jamie Mackie over a former WSL player on a panel for one of their teams games? I'd estimate this is true of the female QPR fans I know. Just maybe not the Woke Flo off QPR pod types (Of which I'm aware of precisely 1 at QPR; and it's Woke Flo off QPR pod) - But sadly we know all too well the types who're in these jobs and making these calls.

As Big Soft Barry says, it's happening regardless of what complaints are put in against it, so all you can do is stop paying for it and fck off to find a new hobby to care about, or pirate it and hang in there. Fortunately for most of us, piracy is so easy and accessible these days that nobody HAS to pay for sky sports. Like the license fee, it's become a bit more about choice.

How did these people ever gain this power over our favourite thing? And how long will it last? Well, there's some small reassurance in that the majority of people who think this way are not having children. And the people who are having children tend to be a little more traditional. So theoretically, if an informal boycott doesn't end it, nature will.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Joey Barton on 13:06 - Dec 11 with 2783 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Joey Barton on 12:28 - Dec 11 by SheffieldHoop

Right. So basically....
Crap punditry is perfectly fine for some; so long as a clear effort is being made to ensure all of the potential audience has on-screen "Representation" and the show is designed to appeal to a broad range of people (Regardless of who is actually watching)

And crap punditry is perfectly fine for others so long as the person doing it is speaking from experience and is a credible name amongst the audience. Bit of nostalgia, yeah he might not know about that knock from midweek, but what about his goal & the celebration at that end back in 2010 etc.

Wouldn't female fans of male football clubs prefer to see their equivalent of Jamie Mackie over a former WSL player on a panel for one of their teams games? I'd estimate this is true of the female QPR fans I know. Just maybe not the Woke Flo off QPR pod types (Of which I'm aware of precisely 1 at QPR; and it's Woke Flo off QPR pod) - But sadly we know all too well the types who're in these jobs and making these calls.

As Big Soft Barry says, it's happening regardless of what complaints are put in against it, so all you can do is stop paying for it and fck off to find a new hobby to care about, or pirate it and hang in there. Fortunately for most of us, piracy is so easy and accessible these days that nobody HAS to pay for sky sports. Like the license fee, it's become a bit more about choice.

How did these people ever gain this power over our favourite thing? And how long will it last? Well, there's some small reassurance in that the majority of people who think this way are not having children. And the people who are having children tend to be a little more traditional. So theoretically, if an informal boycott doesn't end it, nature will.

Can we avoid the name checking yeah? I thought we was doing everyone a favour by ignoring each other.
Joey Barton on 13:35 - Dec 11 with 2662 viewsSheffieldHoop

Joey Barton on 13:06 - Dec 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can we avoid the name checking yeah? I thought we was doing everyone a favour by ignoring each other.

Ceasefire? Nah you're alright

Joey Barton on 14:05 - Dec 11 with 2581 viewsSheffieldHoop

Joey Barton on 05:49 - Dec 11 by SydneyRs

Remiss of him to miss out on the opportunity presented by the recent poppy season (the same old "if my poppy offends you", "this is England, we wear the poppy here" memes and other such witty and informed stuff), a big favourite of the self styled "silent majority" who strangely are anything but silent or a majority.

I doubt Barton really cares about women commentators much. What he does care about is being out of work and desperately trying to appear controversial so someone, anyone, will engage with his podcast, earn him a few quid and make him somehow relevant. I think he may be in for some disappointment.

His tactics are straight out of the Katie Hopkins handbook. Mention "woke" or "woke agenda" every five seconds and dog whistle on topic or topics.

He's chosen female commentators I guess because its loosely relevant to him as an ex footballer and is also a current favoured whinge topic among white gentlemen of a certain age who like to spend their days being angry about everything on social media instead of doing anything enjoyable. He's quickly moved on to immigration and in doing so reveals exactly what he's really up to. Trying to generate revenue and attention.

No doubt other usual bingo card topics will follow. Climate change, vaccines, islam, armed forces, "leftists", transgender, why are there no white people in TV ads etc, etc. He's a bit late to the party though. plenty already doing this important work. Maybe he'll team up with Tommy Robinson and tour major theatres? Tickets for "An evening with a pair of right c***s" will no doubt fly off the shelves.

I'm sure it has already been said, but there are rubbish commentators of both sexes. Barton laments people who haven't played the men's game at the highest level commentating on things they supposedly are not qualified to. Yet no mention of Richard Keys who holds down one of the most prominent pundit jobs in the game with no playing career whatsoever.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 7:38]

lol oh mate.

"white gentlemen of a certain age who like to spend their days being angry about everything on social media instead of doing anything enjoyable"

Yet only 2 lines above you're still moaning about people (Presumably in the UK, thousands of miles from you) posting memes around remembrance (A month ago) on their own Facebook feed. Nobody is forcing you to have those people on your Facebook. You can just mute them if you don't want to unfriend. But you don't. You keep going back and looking at the people posting horrible poppy memes that make you sad. Instead of doing anything enjoyable.

Not too dissimilar to the feeling I get when I put MNF on at 19:00, only to be greeted by a gurning Karen Carney. Why do I keep tuning in hoping for better? Why don't I just accept that it's gone? Like that Ex Girlfriend you just couldn't get over. We all need to learn not to look at things we once loved but now make us angry. Just ignore it. Need to forget that you ever loved it, as it clearly doesn't love you anymore. Sad.

Login to get fewer ads

Joey Barton on 20:55 - Dec 11 with 2359 viewsSydneyRs

Joey Barton on 14:05 - Dec 11 by SheffieldHoop

lol oh mate.

"white gentlemen of a certain age who like to spend their days being angry about everything on social media instead of doing anything enjoyable"

Yet only 2 lines above you're still moaning about people (Presumably in the UK, thousands of miles from you) posting memes around remembrance (A month ago) on their own Facebook feed. Nobody is forcing you to have those people on your Facebook. You can just mute them if you don't want to unfriend. But you don't. You keep going back and looking at the people posting horrible poppy memes that make you sad. Instead of doing anything enjoyable.

Not too dissimilar to the feeling I get when I put MNF on at 19:00, only to be greeted by a gurning Karen Carney. Why do I keep tuning in hoping for better? Why don't I just accept that it's gone? Like that Ex Girlfriend you just couldn't get over. We all need to learn not to look at things we once loved but now make us angry. Just ignore it. Need to forget that you ever loved it, as it clearly doesn't love you anymore. Sad.

I actually have muted or removed most of them but now and again you will still see this stuff indirectly. If they have nothing better to do with their time that's a shame for them. You don't do this stuff if your life is a happy or content one.

Football has been changing for a long time. People have sat and accepted money ruining the sport's competitiveness and often even praised the likes of Chelsea for buying success. A few female commentators is far more upsetting it seems.

The women's world cup recently happened here and was a massive success. At local parks there are far more girls playing than even 5 years ago. They aren't going away and rest assured the likes of Sky know there's money to be made by embracing it and money is the only reason they are involved in the game at all.
Joey Barton on 22:18 - Dec 11 with 2246 viewsdaveB

Joey Barton on 12:28 - Dec 11 by SheffieldHoop

Right. So basically....

For what it's worth I think there should be opportunities for everyone regardless of your sex, race or ability on the football pitch. What you do with that opportunity is up to you, plenty of very good former male footballers have gone into punditry been given great opportunities and been terrible, Phil Neville and Jamie Redknapp spring to mind. Plenty have gone in and been fantastic. With the female ones it's a similar story some are very good some are awful. For me you are not likely to last very long if you are crap because people won't watch.

Joey Barton has quite cleverly seem something that he knows winds people up and gone all in on it to promote a podcast, i've read his stuff this week and cringed thinking he sounds like a complete prat but you read the replies and plenty agree with him so it's working for him
Joey Barton on 23:14 - Dec 11 with 2134 viewsCiderwithRsie

Joey Barton on 22:18 - Dec 11 by daveB

For what it's worth I think there should be opportunities for everyone regardless of your sex, race or ability on the football pitch. What you do with that opportunity is up to you, plenty of very good former male footballers have gone into punditry been given great opportunities and been terrible, Phil Neville and Jamie Redknapp spring to mind. Plenty have gone in and been fantastic. With the female ones it's a similar story some are very good some are awful. For me you are not likely to last very long if you are crap because people won't watch.

Joey Barton has quite cleverly seem something that he knows winds people up and gone all in on it to promote a podcast, i've read his stuff this week and cringed thinking he sounds like a complete prat but you read the replies and plenty agree with him so it's working for him

Agreed, but I think you mean "male former footballers" rather than "former male footballers" otherwise we're into whole other debate where, let's face it, no-one sane wants to go.
Joey Barton on 07:44 - Dec 12 with 1924 viewsdmm

Joey Barton on 08:13 - Dec 11 by ngbqpr

Thanks for posting this, ngbqpr. It's wonderful to read about your experiences coaching girls and boys. I'm just delighted that the game I've loved all my life is now becoming something in which girls and women can fully enjoy and participate.
Joey Barton on 09:07 - Dec 12 with 1833 viewsjoe90

If Barton had deiced to support a domestic abuse charity instead of taking on the critical issue of women talking about football you can guarantee the opening paragraph in this article wouldn't read 'former QPR midfielder'.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/12/joey-bartons-far-right-rebrand-

I just hope it's made clear that he was not a popular player and played during a period in the clubs history that will not be looked back on fondly. I think it's fitting that the only time he pulled on a QPR shirt it had the horrible crest that symbolised everything that was wrong with that time.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2023 9:14]
Joey Barton on 09:17 - Dec 12 with 1794 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Joey Barton on 09:07 - Dec 12 by joe90

If Barton had deiced to support a domestic abuse charity instead of taking on the critical issue of women talking about football you can guarantee the opening paragraph in this article wouldn't read 'former QPR midfielder'.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/12/joey-bartons-far-right-rebrand-

I just hope it's made clear that he was not a popular player and played during a period in the clubs history that will not be looked back on fondly. I think it's fitting that the only time he pulled on a QPR shirt it had the horrible crest that symbolised everything that was wrong with that time.

That is incredibly weird that the picked us and not Man City or Newcastle.

Spurs fan allegedly. Obviously values his pass to the Etihad more than ours!
Joey Barton on 09:21 - Dec 12 with 1785 viewsNorthernr

Joey Barton on 09:17 - Dec 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

That is incredibly weird that the picked us and not Man City or Newcastle.

Spurs fan allegedly. Obviously values his pass to the Etihad more than ours!

Well it's done to belittle him isn't it. Somebody giving it the high and mighty about how much he knows about the sport, and all he was ever able to do was play for a crap QPR side. Using Newcastle or Man City doesn't have the same effect.
Joey Barton on 09:22 - Dec 12 with 1773 viewsGaryBannister86

Agreed, I thought the exact same. El Tel dies and barely a mention of QPR. Barton turns into Tommy Robinson and suddenly we are name checked everywhere.

He has QPR in his Twitter bio - the club are good at taking a stance - why aren't we on this? Can't we disassociate ourselves from him in some way?

I know we can't be held responsible for the behaviour of every ex player, but this is very public.
Joey Barton on 09:30 - Dec 12 with 1729 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Joey Barton on 09:21 - Dec 12 by Northernr

Well it's done to belittle him isn't it. Somebody giving it the high and mighty about how much he knows about the sport, and all he was ever able to do was play for a crap QPR side. Using Newcastle or Man City doesn't have the same effect.

I wish they’d called him former Fleetwood midfielder!
Joey Barton on 09:30 - Dec 12 with 1725 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Joey Barton on 09:21 - Dec 12 by Northernr

For all that he doesn't like us, the highlight of his career was winning the Championship play-off final.
Joey Barton on 09:38 - Dec 12 with 1690 viewsBAWHoops

The last high profile thing he did in football was get sent off in a QPR shirt v City.
As Northern says, it belittles him.

What I don't understand in the whole female pundit argument is that so many of these women have reached the pinnacle of their sport. Of course we should listen to them!
Alex Scott, Jill Scott, Sue Smith etc have played countless times for England and won trophies galore at club level. They know 100% about the mentality needed to achieve and what elite players think.
As for Emma Hayes, she's arguably the best pundit out there and is the highest paid coach in her field!
With respect to Clinton Morrison, Darren Bent and Jamie Mackie, their credentials are basically that they played for a lot of clubs so can be drafted in for the EFL Friday night football because they have a loose connection to one of the teams

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Joey Barton on 09:49 - Dec 12 with 1656 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Liew seems to be implying that Barton is like Hitler leading the Munich Putsch, rather than setting up a low-rent grift. Patently ridiculous to equate what he's doing with the 'far right'.
Joey Barton on 09:49 - Dec 12 with 1655 viewsdmm

Joey Barton on 09:30 - Dec 12 by Wegerles_Stairs

For all that he doesn't like us, the highlight of his career was winning the Championship play-off final.

I was appalled to see him raise the trophy with Clint Hill at the play off final and whenever I see the photo it still rankles. I wish the players had told him to do one before he managed to get his dirty hands on the cup.
Joey Barton on 09:53 - Dec 12 with 1635 viewsdaveB

Joey Barton on 09:22 - Dec 12 by GaryBannister86

Agreed, I thought the exact same. El Tel dies and barely a mention of QPR. Barton turns into Tommy Robinson and suddenly we are name checked everywhere.

He has QPR in his Twitter bio - the club are good at taking a stance - why aren't we on this? Can't we disassociate ourselves from him in some way?

I know we can't be held responsible for the behaviour of every ex player, but this is very public.

He'd love that if a club came out and had a go at him, they try to silence me etc

He is best ignored
Joey Barton on 09:55 - Dec 12 with 1623 viewsNorthernr

Joey Barton on 09:22 - Dec 12 by GaryBannister86

The Guardian Podcast managed to do an hour on Terry Venables and spectacular bicycle kicks the other week and the only mention QPR got was Sebastien Coates. Remarkable achievement.
Joey Barton on 10:08 - Dec 12 with 1583 viewsGaryBannister86

Joey Barton on 09:53 - Dec 12 by daveB

He'd love that if a club came out and had a go at him, they try to silence me etc

He is best ignored

Good point!
Joey Barton on 10:18 - Dec 12 with 1535 viewsSheffieldHoop

Joey Barton on 22:18 - Dec 11 by daveB

"opportunities for everyone regardless of your sex, race or ability on the football pitch"
Do you mean opportunities to work as a pundit on live football? Is the credibility of the person doing it completely irrelevant to you? Really?

The definition of "pundit"
"an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called upon to give their opinions to the public."

I think we're allowing the groupthink to supersede the actual meaning of words now lads. On the most articulate and informed QPR message board in existence. It's sad to see.

Edit, I also don't think it's a case of people agreeing with Joey Barton but rather somebody with a profile in football finally having the balls to come out and say what the rest of us have been saying for a couple of years now, It's welcome no matter how poorly he words it or whether he's got a podcast to promote or whatever.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2023 10:32]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024