Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Barton 09:38 - Dec 7 with 63766 viewsHayesender

I think he's been on the sauce. Having a right old rant about women commentators

https://x.com/Joey7Barton?t=F75tX2JiioFteGA70R3MCA&s=09

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Joey Barton on 11:51 - Dec 9 with 3207 viewsPaddyhoops

Joey Barton on 00:40 - Dec 9 by DannyPaddox

Ironic the more he looks like Grouch Marx the unfunnier he gets

Groucho famously said. Never join a club that would have me as member. Hmmmm🤔
Joey Barton on 12:45 - Dec 9 with 3107 viewsed_83

Joey Barton on 16:22 - Dec 8 by SheffieldHoop

Generally agree it's not sex specific, I think Emma Hayes is a good credible pundit, although I find her general Chelsea vibe being across my TV screen pretty intolerable. Michelle Owen is a great presenter for the football league but I think would be lacking something (Experience?) in the pundit role. You're certainly not going to hear me campaigning for them to get rid of Jules Breach or Laura Woods any time soon.

I don't think Jamie Mackie is a great pundit but I'm happy for him to call games on Sky (Not just because of QPR) because he's a name & face I know from following football. Same goes for Clinton Morrison, Jermaine Beckford, Michael Dawson etc. Not great pundits imo but equally I quite enjoy still seeing them involved, I know they're experienced in what they're watching. Maybe it's all just Memberberries we want deep down, but I do think that most men who consume Sky sports content feel this way

Fair enough. But then if QPR fans, who presumably make up a fraction of 1% of Sky’s viewership, can be afforded Jamie Mackie on our screens (even though he’s not very good, bless him) the women who make up 25% of the channel’s audience are probably also entitled to a few memberberries of their own, no?

Ideally we’d have better pundits all round, but if it’s a choice between someone mediocre whose presence could help to expand a show’s audience, and someone equally mediocre who doesn’t, then I can see why producers would pick the former.
Joey Barton on 12:50 - Dec 9 with 3100 viewsed_83

Joey Barton on 16:41 - Dec 8 by stainrods_elbow

Hang 'em and flog 'em - moi?

Good, succinct post, though, and a clear improvement on mine - thanks for that.

Hmmm. I’m either confusing you with someone else on here, in which case apologies, or you’ve mellowed from the sort of comments I’d associated you with, in which case hooray!
Joey Barton on 13:08 - Dec 9 with 3045 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

He just gets better. Now pulled an old John Terry tweet from 5 years ago up, Terry saying he had to watch a game with the volume off during the first female commentator for a mens world cup game. Then claimed his TV was broken when the Wokery mass came after him.

Then claims Terry not a racist, he played in the game when Anton was abused, and Terry said something in the heat of the moment.

What a prize cnt. The pair of them.
Joey Barton on 14:37 - Dec 9 with 2904 viewsSheffieldHoop

Joey Barton on 12:45 - Dec 9 by ed_83

Fair enough. But then if QPR fans, who presumably make up a fraction of 1% of Sky’s viewership, can be afforded Jamie Mackie on our screens (even though he’s not very good, bless him) the women who make up 25% of the channel’s audience are probably also entitled to a few memberberries of their own, no?

Ideally we’d have better pundits all round, but if it’s a choice between someone mediocre whose presence could help to expand a show’s audience, and someone equally mediocre who doesn’t, then I can see why producers would pick the former.

Memberberries from what though? Women's football was ignored by Sky until 2021. Sue Smith retired from playing 10+ years ago. Neither Aluko or Carney ever played in a league that was featured by Sky to my knowledge. I can't even remember them showing the goals on Goals on Sunday. And women still barely attend WSL even now, let alone back in the Tesco Premier League days when Sue Smith was scoring toe punts at "Chelsea Away" (Actually a random Sunday afternoon game at Tooting & Mitcham in front of 46 people including both sets of players, the coaches and match officials)

The problem with this debate is the sheer intellectual dishonesty that's brought to it by defenders of the faith. Nostalgia? Women's football? On Sky? The numbers just don't add up mate.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Joey Barton on 15:17 - Dec 9 with 2875 viewsed_83

Joey Barton on 14:37 - Dec 9 by SheffieldHoop

Memberberries from what though? Women's football was ignored by Sky until 2021. Sue Smith retired from playing 10+ years ago. Neither Aluko or Carney ever played in a league that was featured by Sky to my knowledge. I can't even remember them showing the goals on Goals on Sunday. And women still barely attend WSL even now, let alone back in the Tesco Premier League days when Sue Smith was scoring toe punts at "Chelsea Away" (Actually a random Sunday afternoon game at Tooting & Mitcham in front of 46 people including both sets of players, the coaches and match officials)

The problem with this debate is the sheer intellectual dishonesty that's brought to it by defenders of the faith. Nostalgia? Women's football? On Sky? The numbers just don't add up mate.

As someone else on here mentioned, Carney's been a notable figure during the exponential growth of interest in the women's game and in women's visibility across all forms of football over the last few years, whether on Sky or elsewhere.

If having a familiar face encourages more women to watch or participate, or makes it clearer that they are entitled to do so, then I think broadly speaking that's a good thing (question marks over the actual quality of punditry notwithstanding). The fact women have been shut out of things for years, as you point out, should surely make that question more important.

There's no intellectual dishonesty here, at least not from me. I want to see intelligent, in-depth punditry which also properly reflects the diversity of its audience, and ideally makes it a bit easier to access for people who've been told in the past that it's not for them. I really don't see how anyone could take issue with that.
Joey Barton on 15:57 - Dec 9 with 2815 viewsSheffieldHoop

Joey Barton on 15:17 - Dec 9 by ed_83

As someone else on here mentioned, Carney's been a notable figure during the exponential growth of interest in the women's game and in women's visibility across all forms of football over the last few years, whether on Sky or elsewhere.

If having a familiar face encourages more women to watch or participate, or makes it clearer that they are entitled to do so, then I think broadly speaking that's a good thing (question marks over the actual quality of punditry notwithstanding). The fact women have been shut out of things for years, as you point out, should surely make that question more important.

There's no intellectual dishonesty here, at least not from me. I want to see intelligent, in-depth punditry which also properly reflects the diversity of its audience, and ideally makes it a bit easier to access for people who've been told in the past that it's not for them. I really don't see how anyone could take issue with that.

"I want to see intelligent, in-depth punditry" while advocating for Karen bloody Carney. Yeah right mate.

Sky sports is utter crap these days and we can all instinctively tell why. Sadly we're not allowed to say it without being accused of being X, Y, Z. Sad.

Joey Barton on 17:53 - Dec 9 with 2757 viewseasthertsr

Am I the only person in the whole of the country who doesn't miss the old style bantz of the old sky panel? Obviously Stelllng is impossible to replace but Sherwood apart isn't it better that all types of football fans and players are represented on that programme? Nobody minded Brian Moore talking about Football so why not women who also didn't play at the highest level? It's embarrassing reading men complain about female commentators/pundits, it's 2023 time to get in the real world chaps!
Login to get fewer ads

Joey Barton on 20:45 - Dec 9 with 2636 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Joey Barton on 17:53 - Dec 9 by easthertsr

Am I the only person in the whole of the country who doesn't miss the old style bantz of the old sky panel? Obviously Stelllng is impossible to replace but Sherwood apart isn't it better that all types of football fans and players are represented on that programme? Nobody minded Brian Moore talking about Football so why not women who also didn't play at the highest level? It's embarrassing reading men complain about female commentators/pundits, it's 2023 time to get in the real world chaps!

Ah the old "time to get in the real world" comment, the real world, is that the one where you are not allowed an opinion or preference unless its the ones your allowed to have or are fashionable. It's OK to not all agree, it's OK if someone doesn't like women commentating/covering men's football. It really is OK. Maybe it's even healthy to have the debate, maybe just maybe that's how we can progress to the real "real world" where people don't get all bent out of shape when someone has an opinion that doesnt match there own, as long it's not being violently or dangerously enforced then let them have there own thoughts on things. It's a risky business all allowing ourselves to be told what to say and what to like...even what is right, otherwise I guess if we do go down that route 100% it's time to call out those sickos who don't have gravy on there Sunday dinner,shame them online and publicly, hopefully get there job taken from them and have them shunned and spat at.....just thinking(I know that's dangerous)
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 7:24]
Joey Barton on 20:59 - Dec 9 with 2586 viewsstainrods_elbow

Joey Barton on 12:50 - Dec 9 by ed_83

Hmmm. I’m either confusing you with someone else on here, in which case apologies, or you’ve mellowed from the sort of comments I’d associated you with, in which case hooray!

No, just giving credit where credit's due

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Joey Barton on 21:01 - Dec 9 with 2605 viewseasthertsr

Joey Barton on 20:45 - Dec 9 by Midlands_Ranger

Ah the old "time to get in the real world" comment, the real world, is that the one where you are not allowed an opinion or preference unless its the ones your allowed to have or are fashionable. It's OK to not all agree, it's OK if someone doesn't like women commentating/covering men's football. It really is OK. Maybe it's even healthy to have the debate, maybe just maybe that's how we can progress to the real "real world" where people don't get all bent out of shape when someone has an opinion that doesnt match there own, as long it's not being violently or dangerously enforced then let them have there own thoughts on things. It's a risky business all allowing ourselves to be told what to say and what to like...even what is right, otherwise I guess if we do go down that route 100% it's time to call out those sickos who don't have gravy on there Sunday dinner,shame them online and publicly, hopefully get there job taken from them and have them shunned and spat at.....just thinking(I know that's dangerous)
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 7:24]

Of course you're allowed to have a different opinion, I'm just putting my own views out there, if you disagree with me then that's fine. If you don't like listening to women talking about football then that's up to you! . Me, I can cope with the opposite gender having views about men kicking a ball about because the year is 2023 and I have far more important things to worry about!
Joey Barton on 07:29 - Dec 10 with 2476 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Joey Barton on 21:01 - Dec 9 by easthertsr

Of course you're allowed to have a different opinion, I'm just putting my own views out there, if you disagree with me then that's fine. If you don't like listening to women talking about football then that's up to you! . Me, I can cope with the opposite gender having views about men kicking a ball about because the year is 2023 and I have far more important things to worry about!

Like you I'm happy for all to have there own opinion, rarely offended by much, and totally agree, lot lot more important things to worry about these days....have a good Sunday wallowing in our 3rd victory in a row!
Joey Barton on 11:43 - Dec 10 with 2345 viewsbaz_qpr

I see he's now gone full I can't get a media job in football because I'm white, male and middle aged. As ever with the narcist it's really all about him. Yet what he can't see is no one wants to employ him in the media because he's a see you next tuesday who is a risk to their brand
Joey Barton on 13:35 - Dec 10 with 2290 viewsNorthernr

Joey Barton on 11:43 - Dec 10 by baz_qpr

I see he's now gone full I can't get a media job in football because I'm white, male and middle aged. As ever with the narcist it's really all about him. Yet what he can't see is no one wants to employ him in the media because he's a see you next tuesday who is a risk to their brand

Yeh he was always going to bring colour into it at some point. As I called earlier in the thread, it's a pretty standard playbook this. Probs have a crack on the trans debate in a day or two. Or the "they put you in prison for celebrating Christmas these days" thing.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Joey Barton on 13:51 - Dec 10 with 2222 viewsSheffieldHoop

New one popped up this morning. Natalie Gedra doing coverage at Luton v Man City. Worked for ESPN Brazil for 7 years apparently. No further qualifications as far as I can tell.

File her under the Melissa Reddy folder of unconvincing "footy fanatics" who have inexplicably got themselves onto the sky sports payroll. You would think Universities in the UK don't offer Sports Journalism degrees or something. Sky had to import a Brazilian for this job.

Kelly Dalglish presenting today. We all know it's another wasted seat but occasionally nepotism will do that. Whatever, who cares.

Joey Barton on 14:42 - Dec 10 with 2179 viewshubble

As far as I'm concerned, most football commentators and pundits, whatever sex they are, are pretty bloody awful. And why does there even need to be a co-commentator? They all talk way too much.

But the issue I have with female commentators/pundits is the timbre and pitch of their voices, I actually find the majority painful/irritating to listen to. In terms of being a decent pundit, the women probably just shade it. If only their voices were easier on the ear.

As for Barton, he's an idiot.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 14:43]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Joey Barton on 15:16 - Dec 10 with 2132 viewsEsox_Lucius

Joey Barton on 14:42 - Dec 10 by hubble

As far as I'm concerned, most football commentators and pundits, whatever sex they are, are pretty bloody awful. And why does there even need to be a co-commentator? They all talk way too much.

But the issue I have with female commentators/pundits is the timbre and pitch of their voices, I actually find the majority painful/irritating to listen to. In terms of being a decent pundit, the women probably just shade it. If only their voices were easier on the ear.

As for Barton, he's an idiot.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 14:43]

Worse than Carragher? Tell me you're trolling.
On a side note to this. if it was the case that only ex pro male footballers should be allowed to commentate and pass opinion on mens football, then my youth, and many others on here would have been deprived of Brian Moore, John Motson et al over the years.

The grass is always greener.

Joey Barton on 15:42 - Dec 10 with 2096 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Joey Barton on 15:16 - Dec 10 by Esox_Lucius

On a side note to this. if it was the case that only ex pro male footballers should be allowed to commentate and pass opinion on mens football, then my youth, and many others on here would have been deprived of Brian Moore, John Motson et al over the years.

"On a side note to this. if it was the case that only ex pro male footballers should be allowed to commentate and pass opinion on mens football, then my youth, and many others on here would have been deprived of Brian Moore, John Motson et al over the years."

Superb point. Never thought of it as clearly as that.
Female, male, ex-player, not ex-player I don't give a crap and I find the debate tiresome. The job goes to who can do it best.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Joey Barton on 15:51 - Dec 10 with 2061 viewshubble

Joey Barton on 15:16 - Dec 10 by Esox_Lucius

Trolling? It's just my opinion mate. Carragher's voice does not irritate me. If it's Vicki Sparks, I have to turn the sound off.

Obviously your side note is not to do with anything I've said.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Joey Barton on 16:49 - Dec 10 with 1971 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Arsenal Women beat Chelsea to break the league attendance record yesterday.

A good reminder that social media is a bubble.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 17:18]
Joey Barton on 17:03 - Dec 10 with 1925 viewsGroveR

Joey Barton on 18:16 - Dec 8 by daveB

See, Joey can't be sexist because he has a woman wife and a female daughter. Even his nan, who was a matriarch, was also a woman.
Joey Barton on 04:13 - Dec 11 with 1745 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Joey Barton on 16:49 - Dec 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

Arsenal Women beat Chelsea to break the league attendance record yesterday.

A good reminder that social media is a bubble.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 17:18]

Yeah that settles that then on female commentary
Joey Barton on 05:49 - Dec 11 with 1694 viewsSydneyRs

Joey Barton on 13:35 - Dec 10 by Northernr

Yeh he was always going to bring colour into it at some point. As I called earlier in the thread, it's a pretty standard playbook this. Probs have a crack on the trans debate in a day or two. Or the "they put you in prison for celebrating Christmas these days" thing.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Remiss of him to miss out on the opportunity presented by the recent poppy season (the same old "if my poppy offends you", "this is England, we wear the poppy here" memes and other such witty and informed stuff), a big favourite of the self styled "silent majority" who strangely are anything but silent or a majority.

I doubt Barton really cares about women commentators much. What he does care about is being out of work and desperately trying to appear controversial so someone, anyone, will engage with his podcast, earn him a few quid and make him somehow relevant. I think he may be in for some disappointment.

His tactics are straight out of the Katie Hopkins handbook. Mention "woke" or "woke agenda" every five seconds and dog whistle on topic or topics.

He's chosen female commentators I guess because its loosely relevant to him as an ex footballer and is also a current favoured whinge topic among white gentlemen of a certain age who like to spend their days being angry about everything on social media instead of doing anything enjoyable. He's quickly moved on to immigration and in doing so reveals exactly what he's really up to. Trying to generate revenue and attention.

No doubt other usual bingo card topics will follow. Climate change, vaccines, islam, armed forces, "leftists", transgender, why are there no white people in TV ads etc, etc. He's a bit late to the party though. plenty already doing this important work. Maybe he'll team up with Tommy Robinson and tour major theatres? Tickets for "An evening with a pair of right c***s" will no doubt fly off the shelves.

I'm sure it has already been said, but there are rubbish commentators of both sexes. Barton laments people who haven't played the men's game at the highest level commentating on things they supposedly are not qualified to. Yet no mention of Richard Keys who holds down one of the most prominent pundit jobs in the game with no playing career whatsoever.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 7:38]
Joey Barton on 06:55 - Dec 11 with 1641 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Joey Barton on 04:13 - Dec 11 by Midlands_Ranger

Yeah that settles that then on female commentary

What is there to settle?

You are upset about it, but it’s happening regardless. Your options are either swallow it and move on or don’t.
Joey Barton on 07:10 - Dec 11 with 1629 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Joey Barton on 06:55 - Dec 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

What is there to settle?

You are upset about it, but it’s happening regardless. Your options are either swallow it and move on or don’t.

Not upset about it

Don't be silly

Just not a fan of it right now, maybe one day along will come a female commentator who I don't find annoying, there is of course many annoying male commentators I find annoying but a small few that I don't. Again it's really just about your own preference and being able to have that and say it. Like all things it will continue to evolve and get better, it's still in its early stages.

Never say never and all that
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024