Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speed awareness courses. 12:55 - Jan 10 with 8446 viewsPaddyhoops

Just finished it . 3 hour course . No test and have to say very informative.
80% blokes mostly 50 somethings like myself.Well worth doing to avoid the three points.
Speed awareness courses. on 17:02 - Jan 10 with 1670 viewsslmrstid

Speed awareness courses. on 16:47 - Jan 10 by Juzzie

The thing with motorways is that you're driving three to four times faster than on a narrow road so your thinking needs to be faster too.

When I passed my test my instructor said we should go on a motorway (not compulsory as it was a separate two hour lesson) and I did. Glad to have done it.

I did the Pass Plus back in 2007 after passing mine as it was meant to reduce your car insurance premiums as a teenage new driver. Did it bollocks. It did included motorway driving though under supervision which was great learning before heading off to do it yourself.
Speed awareness courses. on 17:14 - Jan 10 with 1630 viewsMick_S

Speed awareness courses. on 16:44 - Jan 10 by Boston

One week after my rather nervous wife passed her test, she was dispatched to Manchester on business. When she told me, I couldn't believe that her company was doing this to a new driver, so I got her over to the M1 beforehand and had entering and exiting practice for a couple of hours. Still nervy, me as much as her, off she went.
That evening I got a call from a service station (before the advent of cell / mobile phones), it was herself, wondering if passing a sign that had Welcome to Scotland written on it meant she'd made a mistake.
[Post edited 10 Jan 16:47]

True story? I hope so - tremendous, Bos.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Speed awareness courses. on 17:36 - Jan 10 with 1553 viewspaulhoop2

Did one during lockdown found it fairly interesting actually. Was caught doing 43 in 40 on western avenue. Mind you years back I had 9 points !

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Speed awareness courses. on 17:47 - Jan 10 with 1537 viewsHooping_Mad

Speed awareness courses. on 13:42 - Jan 10 by Northernr

Mine was an absolute riot.

You had a bloke from Southend who was basically on the road every day with his job, just slogging round the motorways day after day. He'd been done on the smart bit of the M1 past Luton late at night, with the inside lane displaying 50 (for no reason at all, of course) and the other three lanes displaying nothing.

He was absolutely livid, basically said the whole thing was a racket designed to rip off blokes like him "trying to earn an honest coin", and he was basically doing the course to avoid the points but wanted everybody to know he thought it was a crock of sht. He was my spirit animal, loved him and agreed with every word.

Anyway, instructor managed to settle him down and he didn't say too much. Then two thirds of the way through they started displaying road signs and whatever and asking what they meant and they put up exactly his scenario - inside lane at 50, other screens blank. We all wrote down that it means the inside lane is at 50 but the other lanes are national speed limit, and it's wrong apparently - if one board says 50 and the others are blank, it's 50 for all lanes. Well this booted it all off didn't it and caused absolute uproar with us all in unanimous agreement that it was an absolute crock of sht deliberately designed to fleece you (otherwise why not just light the other ones up?) and my mate from Southend screaming into the Zoom call "SEE, TOLD YOU, ABSOLUTE FCKING LIBERTY".

At the end of the call we had to say what our one big takeaway or learning was and Southend Man very proudly said "nothing at all" and rang off.

There was a younger guy on there from Streatham, perfectly reasonable all the way through, did the exercises, said very little. Towards the end launches into a diatribe about "I'll tell you who never fcking indicates - THE TURKS". Turkish woman on the call absolutely lets rip, so we had a good ten minute row there about who the worst indicators were between the Turks, the Brits or THE ARABS who this bloke also didn't have much time for.

Would recommend.

Spirit animal probably has 3 points in the post.

On my one we had an ex-copper who was clearly the most anti-social of the lot. The guy running the course was clearly unimpressed.

We started off with how many points we had accumulated, after winning that with 16 I thought it best to just put on a show, I had them believing I was taking holy orders by the end of it.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Speed awareness courses. on 17:50 - Jan 10 with 1521 viewsted_hendrix

I've had a clean driving licence since I passed my driving test In 1967.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Speed awareness courses. on 17:57 - Jan 10 with 1512 viewsBoston

Speed awareness courses. on 17:14 - Jan 10 by Mick_S

True story? I hope so - tremendous, Bos.

Oh I assure you, it's true, and the confusion didn't end there.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Speed awareness courses. on 18:05 - Jan 10 with 1496 viewsJuzzie

Speed awareness courses. on 17:50 - Jan 10 by ted_hendrix

But have you driven since you passed??!
Speed awareness courses. on 18:15 - Jan 10 with 1479 viewsBoston

Horse and cart though wunnit?

Login to get fewer ads

Speed awareness courses. on 18:22 - Jan 10 with 1467 viewshubble

Done two of these now - both times I got done by an unmarked mobile camera in a van - both times on totally clear A roads that had sneakily put a 30mph limit just outside of the town/village where anyone would assume you were on a 60mph road. Fckers.

Second time the course leader was a retired detective who couldn't tell us enough anecdotes about his days arresting murderers and the like. Real fun.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Speed awareness courses. on 18:35 - Jan 10 with 1441 viewsCOASTALHOOP

20 years ago my 12year old son Michael was knocked down and killed by a speeding driver. The driver was going just a few miles over the 30 but those few miles can make all the difference between surviving or not. Please think of this as you travel around. I think of little else every time I get behind the wheel. I have no points and never speed and that is how it will be for the rest of my driving life. I appreciate some of the posts above relate to motorway driving which are totally different sets of circumstances but on local roads speed kills. I’ve read numerous posts on the topic of speed cameras and awareness courses over the years and it never fails to annoy me how some people feel so hard done by just because they were caught.
Michael came with me and his brothers to watch many QPR games and also met a few regular posters on the old Rivals site in The BushRanger. I will never forget those posters who either came to Michael’s funeral or sent tributes. They even arranged a floral tribute from QPR. Watching my QPR has never been the same since.
If I may just leave one piece of advice with you all it would be ‘slow down’ There is nothing in our lives that’s worth the hurry.
[Post edited 10 Jan 18:41]
Speed awareness courses. on 19:20 - Jan 10 with 1378 viewsMick_S

Speed awareness courses. on 18:35 - Jan 10 by COASTALHOOP

20 years ago my 12year old son Michael was knocked down and killed by a speeding driver. The driver was going just a few miles over the 30 but those few miles can make all the difference between surviving or not. Please think of this as you travel around. I think of little else every time I get behind the wheel. I have no points and never speed and that is how it will be for the rest of my driving life. I appreciate some of the posts above relate to motorway driving which are totally different sets of circumstances but on local roads speed kills. I’ve read numerous posts on the topic of speed cameras and awareness courses over the years and it never fails to annoy me how some people feel so hard done by just because they were caught.
Michael came with me and his brothers to watch many QPR games and also met a few regular posters on the old Rivals site in The BushRanger. I will never forget those posters who either came to Michael’s funeral or sent tributes. They even arranged a floral tribute from QPR. Watching my QPR has never been the same since.
If I may just leave one piece of advice with you all it would be ‘slow down’ There is nothing in our lives that’s worth the hurry.

You are so right. For what’s its worth, I, and many on here used to listen to Robbie Vincent. He used to do a chat show aside from being a soul dj. He is a very intelligent and caring man. The times he used to talk about the difference between driving at 20, and the massive impact another 10 mph will have on the victim. This was 40 years ago. Take it slowly, don’t rush. You are so right.

That was a very brave post mate. Good luck.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Speed awareness courses. on 19:31 - Jan 10 with 1359 viewsnumptydumpty

Crikey Coastal

I can only imagine the horror that must have been

When I was 16 a family friends son who was 15 at the time cycled out of his family home to do his morning paper round only to be knocked down right outside his home.

Been on the speed awareness course myself fir doing 34 in a 30 but yes learnt about the difference speed makes upon impact
Can't recall if the comparison was 30 mph v 40mph or 20mph v 30mph but one 80% live and the other 80% sadly pass.

It's a stark reminder. I can't even imagine how tough it must have been to carry on everyday life after such a tragic event.

Yes we all have everyday stuff that really isn't much at all of value to worry about but this I hope gets everyone who reads it time to think and observe a little more and consider their speed.

Well done for posting Coastal. Incredibly brave of you and wish you all the very best with all of your family today.
[Post edited 10 Jan 19:33]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Speed awareness courses. on 19:36 - Jan 10 with 1347 viewsPaddyhoops

London is so hard to drive in now. I have cyclists and funeral cortèges overtaken me!
Speed awareness courses. on 20:04 - Jan 10 with 1287 viewsstowmarketrange

Speed awareness courses. on 19:31 - Jan 10 by numptydumpty

Crikey Coastal

I can only imagine the horror that must have been

When I was 16 a family friends son who was 15 at the time cycled out of his family home to do his morning paper round only to be knocked down right outside his home.

Been on the speed awareness course myself fir doing 34 in a 30 but yes learnt about the difference speed makes upon impact
Can't recall if the comparison was 30 mph v 40mph or 20mph v 30mph but one 80% live and the other 80% sadly pass.

It's a stark reminder. I can't even imagine how tough it must have been to carry on everyday life after such a tragic event.

Yes we all have everyday stuff that really isn't much at all of value to worry about but this I hope gets everyone who reads it time to think and observe a little more and consider their speed.

Well done for posting Coastal. Incredibly brave of you and wish you all the very best with all of your family today.
[Post edited 10 Jan 19:33]

I think it’s 20 to 30mph.
Speed awareness courses. on 20:44 - Jan 10 with 1232 viewsJuzzie

Speed awareness courses. on 20:04 - Jan 10 by stowmarketrange

I think it’s 20 to 30mph.

It’s all of them.
60 is better than 70
50 is better than 60
40 is better than 50
30 is better than 40
20 is better than 30
10 is better than 20
0 is better than 10

However, the government clearly uses 40/30 as the most defining benchmark, not 20/30;

Now it seems we’re being told it’s 20. What next, 10?

Any speed is harmful and I genuinely believe most people want to get it right, to keep to the right speed but when the details change it gets confusing. One minute we’re told 30 is ok then it’s 20 is ok.

I have two young kids too and my biggest fears for them are road accidents and knife crime, so I am acutely aware of the situation but we can’t all crawl around at 5mph (even though it feels like it sometimes anyway)

My heart goes out to you and your family Coastalhoop, I can’t even begin to imagine what that’s like.
Speed awareness courses. on 20:49 - Jan 10 with 1217 viewsstowmarketrange

Speed awareness courses. on 20:44 - Jan 10 by Juzzie

It’s all of them.
60 is better than 70
50 is better than 60
40 is better than 50
30 is better than 40
20 is better than 30
10 is better than 20
0 is better than 10

However, the government clearly uses 40/30 as the most defining benchmark, not 20/30;

Now it seems we’re being told it’s 20. What next, 10?

Any speed is harmful and I genuinely believe most people want to get it right, to keep to the right speed but when the details change it gets confusing. One minute we’re told 30 is ok then it’s 20 is ok.

I have two young kids too and my biggest fears for them are road accidents and knife crime, so I am acutely aware of the situation but we can’t all crawl around at 5mph (even though it feels like it sometimes anyway)

My heart goes out to you and your family Coastalhoop, I can’t even begin to imagine what that’s like.

Cheers.The old memory isn’t what it used to be.

I had 9 points on my licence for a while in the days before speed awareness courses.I was pretty careful after that.
Speed awareness courses. on 20:57 - Jan 10 with 1200 viewsflynnbo

Such a sad story and so sorry for your loss. I, too, am a stickler for keeping to speed limits and despair when I see people speeding up again just because they've gone past a 30 mph camera when the restriction applies to the whole area day and night and not purely to that stretch of road..
Speed awareness courses. on 20:58 - Jan 10 with 1195 viewsBoston

On fast roads, I drive fast.

In town, I'm the chunt holding everybody up.

Speed awareness courses. on 21:05 - Jan 10 with 1183 viewsessextaxiboy

I have done about 5 , including the 20 MPH Zone one the Motorway one and three ordinary ones . The 3 year course exclusion does not seem to count if the offence warrants a different type of course
There is always one old boy who thinks he shouldnt be there cos his lifetime clean licence has gone west.

I truly dont drive very fast at all ,they were always just over the threshold(hence I got the courses ) and mostly in the early hours when I was doing Airport Transfer .

In mitigation I was doing over 80,000 miles a year at that time , I think the average mileage of UK drivers is still under 12000 per year so around 7 times that .

So when people say they have driven 20 years with no problems, I think" well come back after 140 years and we can talk " . I dont dismiss the danger of speeding . Cars are a lethal weapon .
Speed awareness courses. on 21:14 - Jan 10 with 1165 viewsnumptydumpty

Speed awareness courses. on 21:05 - Jan 10 by essextaxiboy

I have done about 5 , including the 20 MPH Zone one the Motorway one and three ordinary ones . The 3 year course exclusion does not seem to count if the offence warrants a different type of course
There is always one old boy who thinks he shouldnt be there cos his lifetime clean licence has gone west.

I truly dont drive very fast at all ,they were always just over the threshold(hence I got the courses ) and mostly in the early hours when I was doing Airport Transfer .

In mitigation I was doing over 80,000 miles a year at that time , I think the average mileage of UK drivers is still under 12000 per year so around 7 times that .

So when people say they have driven 20 years with no problems, I think" well come back after 140 years and we can talk " . I dont dismiss the danger of speeding . Cars are a lethal weapon .

Cars should all really be designed for travel to amble along at 20, 30, 40mph but some of them amble along when they at 120mph.

A worldwide obsession with speed and doing everything to the max does mean speed offences will always happen

There is loads to change if our roads become safer sadly
[Post edited 10 Jan 21:15]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Speed awareness courses. on 21:25 - Jan 10 with 1139 viewsflynnbo

The late great Dave Allen once recounted a story of how a friend once boasted of saving 10 minutes on a car journey and then proceeded to spend the saved 10 minutes on telling a friend exactly how he did it!
Speed awareness courses. on 21:31 - Jan 10 with 1128 viewsJuzzie

Speed awareness courses. on 21:14 - Jan 10 by numptydumpty

Cars should all really be designed for travel to amble along at 20, 30, 40mph but some of them amble along when they at 120mph.

A worldwide obsession with speed and doing everything to the max does mean speed offences will always happen

There is loads to change if our roads become safer sadly
[Post edited 10 Jan 21:15]

The amble-along-at-120 is a good point.

When i had a VFR800 it genuinely felt awful at 30mph, like a dog straining on a leash. At 40 it felt so much better but the thing was occasionally i was doing 40 without realising. The bike was totally comfortable and could easily brake on a sixpence. It clearly was designed for motorway use where doing 90 on the autobahn was totally in its element.
Urban riding didn’t do it any good at all so i now have a CB500X that feels naturally comfortable at 30, so that’s a big improvement straight away. I can ride the bike instinctively at its comfy point knowing it’ll be doing 30.

There are so many cars that are clearly not suitable for slow urban use but what can you do… ban them? That’s a real vote killer.
Speed awareness courses. on 22:12 - Jan 10 with 1064 viewsted_hendrix

Speed awareness courses. on 18:05 - Jan 10 by Juzzie

But have you driven since you passed??!

Indeed I have, I reckon from memory the most I drove In a year was circa 46K miles, as I had a Company car for Years we had to do Monthly mileage returns and at the end of the year we'd get an annual mileage return from the Company.
We had a couple of high up Managers sweating on their jobs because they had totalled too many points and another speeding fine would have meant a ban and consequently down the road.
I could spend a week working from the car sometimes, I had sites from Gloucester up to Enfield, Banbury and beyond down to Southampton.

I drove from Umbria to Rome airport and back a few times and as they say"when In Rome" they are bloody mad over there and you become mad too.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Speed awareness courses. on 22:38 - Jan 10 with 1005 viewsflynnbo

Same for me Ted but since 1978 only!
Speed awareness courses. on 23:21 - Jan 10 with 969 viewsGus_iom

Speed awareness courses. on 13:58 - Jan 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Irish drivers indicate afterwards, never before.

It's like a little chat that says "see what I did back there, I changed lanes, how's the craic?"

then they don't have indicators, they have confirmators
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024