Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speed awareness courses. 12:55 - Jan 10 with 8460 viewsPaddyhoops

Just finished it . 3 hour course . No test and have to say very informative.
80% blokes mostly 50 somethings like myself.Well worth doing to avoid the three points.
Speed awareness courses. on 06:48 - Jan 11 with 1550 viewsSydneyRs

Speed awareness courses. on 13:42 - Jan 10 by Northernr

Mine was an absolute riot.

You had a bloke from Southend who was basically on the road every day with his job, just slogging round the motorways day after day. He'd been done on the smart bit of the M1 past Luton late at night, with the inside lane displaying 50 (for no reason at all, of course) and the other three lanes displaying nothing.

He was absolutely livid, basically said the whole thing was a racket designed to rip off blokes like him "trying to earn an honest coin", and he was basically doing the course to avoid the points but wanted everybody to know he thought it was a crock of sht. He was my spirit animal, loved him and agreed with every word.

Anyway, instructor managed to settle him down and he didn't say too much. Then two thirds of the way through they started displaying road signs and whatever and asking what they meant and they put up exactly his scenario - inside lane at 50, other screens blank. We all wrote down that it means the inside lane is at 50 but the other lanes are national speed limit, and it's wrong apparently - if one board says 50 and the others are blank, it's 50 for all lanes. Well this booted it all off didn't it and caused absolute uproar with us all in unanimous agreement that it was an absolute crock of sht deliberately designed to fleece you (otherwise why not just light the other ones up?) and my mate from Southend screaming into the Zoom call "SEE, TOLD YOU, ABSOLUTE FCKING LIBERTY".

At the end of the call we had to say what our one big takeaway or learning was and Southend Man very proudly said "nothing at all" and rang off.

There was a younger guy on there from Streatham, perfectly reasonable all the way through, did the exercises, said very little. Towards the end launches into a diatribe about "I'll tell you who never fcking indicates - THE TURKS". Turkish woman on the call absolutely lets rip, so we had a good ten minute row there about who the worst indicators were between the Turks, the Brits or THE ARABS who this bloke also didn't have much time for.

Would recommend.

Might not be that easy to distinguish Turks from Arabs in a driving situation when you're only getting a side on look through a window. Fair play to him for being able to do it.
Speed awareness courses. on 06:51 - Jan 11 with 1541 viewsNorthernr

Speed awareness courses. on 06:48 - Jan 11 by SydneyRs

Might not be that easy to distinguish Turks from Arabs in a driving situation when you're only getting a side on look through a window. Fair play to him for being able to do it.

He'd lived in UAE or Dubai or Saudi or somewhere as I recall.
Speed awareness courses. on 09:19 - Jan 11 with 1405 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Speed awareness courses. on 23:21 - Jan 10 by Gus_iom

then they don't have indicators, they have confirmators

True.

And if you put both on together, they're called Hazard Lights in most Countries.

In Ireland, people double-park in the middle of the road and put on their My Car's Invisible And Not Really Here Lights.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Speed awareness courses. on 09:25 - Jan 11 with 1381 viewswombat

Speed awareness courses. on 15:26 - Jan 10 by Northernr

Absolute racket. Coming back from Bristol City last season, late in the evening, motorway empty, gantries all the way from Reading into town stuck on 50mph - "to reduce air polution". We're going past Heathrow Airport lads, I don't think my Mini Cooper is the problem here.

its the same on any trip up past sheffield 50 mph to help the air quality in bloody sheffield !
heres a question if you see one of them signs and are drving an electric car why do you have to comply ? not prodcing any emmisions so not making the air quality any woirse . hopefully one day a driver takes a speeding offecne to court and asks the same question

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Speed awareness courses. on 09:51 - Jan 11 with 1343 viewsTheChef

Speed awareness courses. on 15:43 - Jan 10 by hoops_legend

Motorways are the simplest form of driving... If you can drive in a congested narrow street in your lessons and test then you can drive on a motorway...

True to an extent - but a lot of motorway drivers have no concept of how you use the lanes and you end up with a bunch of middle lane hoggers doing 65.

Basically, you should only be driving in Lane 1, the other lanes are there for overtaking. But barely any drivers understand that (mainly because they've never been taught!).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Speed awareness courses. on 10:19 - Jan 11 with 1318 viewsizlingtonhoop

Received a Notice of Intended Prosecution just before Christmas. Funny enough, I knew exactly where I offended and remember doing it. I don't drive very often, only when I really need to. When I got in from that trip, I said to ms Iz: It's really difficult to keep to twenty, just now, on Holloway Road, I noticed I was well over 20!

I didn't notice any flash, so I forgot about it.

Then... Hey presto...

I put my offence in to a points calculator and it says I should get a £100 fine and an Awareness Course. And it's a fair cop, I know I did it, however inadvertent.

People I have spoken to since have said: Oh yeh. You see that one (camera) going off all the time.
And, whether it's a racket, or not, I read recently that for councils on the brink of bankruptcy (among all others) such as Birmingham this is practically the only money they have coming in. I guess Islington have more ample scope for this 'racket' than most. At least it keeps our excellent library service open.
So, we blame the councils? Or Cameron and Osborne...?
I know who I choose...
Speed awareness courses. on 10:38 - Jan 11 with 1295 viewsslmrstid

Speed awareness courses. on 09:25 - Jan 11 by wombat

its the same on any trip up past sheffield 50 mph to help the air quality in bloody sheffield !
heres a question if you see one of them signs and are drving an electric car why do you have to comply ? not prodcing any emmisions so not making the air quality any woirse . hopefully one day a driver takes a speeding offecne to court and asks the same question

Not just emissions though - electric cars are far heavier so burn through tyre rubber a lot more which gets into the air, its not just exhaust particulates. One you won't notice but hundreds / thousands going through day after day etc...
Speed awareness courses. on 16:30 - Jan 11 with 1152 viewsOldPedro

Speed awareness courses. on 10:38 - Jan 11 by slmrstid

Not just emissions though - electric cars are far heavier so burn through tyre rubber a lot more which gets into the air, its not just exhaust particulates. One you won't notice but hundreds / thousands going through day after day etc...

Interesting RAC report of levels of particulate emissions from electric vehicles versus ICE vehicles.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/electric-cars/running/do-electric-vehicles-produce-m

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Speed awareness courses. on 16:34 - Jan 11 with 1144 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Speed awareness courses. on 09:51 - Jan 11 by TheChef

True to an extent - but a lot of motorway drivers have no concept of how you use the lanes and you end up with a bunch of middle lane hoggers doing 65.

Basically, you should only be driving in Lane 1, the other lanes are there for overtaking. But barely any drivers understand that (mainly because they've never been taught!).

I want to know LfW's approach to this.

Do you

A) Stay Behind
B) Undertake
C) Overtake and make a point of crossing two lanes?
Speed awareness courses. on 16:38 - Jan 11 with 1135 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The price of it by the way.

Who the fck can spare £92 nowadays? Universal credit is £73 a week.

Imagine not being able to eat or heat yourself for a week and half because you did 22mph in a 20mph zone.

I'd fcking burn the council down.
Speed awareness courses. on 18:16 - Jan 11 with 1070 viewsbosh67

I did one a few years ago at a local hotel.

Didn't get off to a great start after I did donuts in the car park when I arrived.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Speed awareness courses. on 20:19 - Jan 11 with 1000 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Speed awareness courses. on 16:38 - Jan 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Imagine not being able to eat or heat yourself for a week and half because you did 22mph in a 20mph zone.

Come on there is no way you get done for 2 mph over the limit that is both stupid and basically abuse of power .
We have an unwritten rule over here that most speding tickets are issued once you are doing 10 or above then the party lights come on .
The school zone is where they bury you though its 20 and no car is designed to go that slow you have to really work at it .
Speed awareness courses. on 20:40 - Jan 11 with 982 viewsHooping_Mad

Speed awareness courses. on 16:38 - Jan 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Running a car on £73 means they would have no food anyway.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Speed awareness courses. on 21:06 - Jan 11 with 967 viewsloftboy

Speed awareness courses. on 10:19 - Jan 11 by izlingtonhoop

Received a Notice of Intended Prosecution just before Christmas. Funny enough, I knew exactly where I offended and remember doing it. I don't drive very often, only when I really need to. When I got in from that trip, I said to ms Iz: It's really difficult to keep to twenty, just now, on Holloway Road, I noticed I was well over 20!

I didn't notice any flash, so I forgot about it.

Then... Hey presto...

I put my offence in to a points calculator and it says I should get a £100 fine and an Awareness Course. And it's a fair cop, I know I did it, however inadvertent.

People I have spoken to since have said: Oh yeh. You see that one (camera) going off all the time.
And, whether it's a racket, or not, I read recently that for councils on the brink of bankruptcy (among all others) such as Birmingham this is practically the only money they have coming in. I guess Islington have more ample scope for this 'racket' than most. At least it keeps our excellent library service open.
So, we blame the councils? Or Cameron and Osborne...?
I know who I choose...

When I worked in London I used to park up by McDonald’s on the Holloway Road on my break, some evenings it was like a fireworks display the speed camera went off so often.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Speed awareness courses. on 21:33 - Jan 11 with 921 viewsizlingtonhoop

Speed awareness courses. on 21:06 - Jan 11 by loftboy

When I worked in London I used to park up by McDonald’s on the Holloway Road on my break, some evenings it was like a fireworks display the speed camera went off so often.

Yep. That's where it was...
Speed awareness courses. on 22:02 - Jan 11 with 887 viewsR_from_afar

Speed awareness courses. on 10:38 - Jan 11 by slmrstid

From the AA website:

Do electric vehicle tyres wear out quickly?

Tyre wear is very much related to driving style. It is true that electric vehicles are generally heavier than their ICE counterparts, and they have more torque. Both of these factors can increase the stress on tyres, but manufacturers have developed new, more robust compounds to counter electric vehicle tyre wear, and these are fitted as standard to electrified models. Driven sensibly, EV tyres should last at least as long as conventional ones.

Regardless of what type of vehicle you drive, it is always worth checking your tyres on a regular basis.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Speed awareness courses. on 07:27 - Jan 12 with 784 viewsessextaxiboy

Speed awareness courses. on 20:19 - Jan 11 by CLAREMAN1995

Come on there is no way you get done for 2 mph over the limit that is both stupid and basically abuse of power .
We have an unwritten rule over here that most speding tickets are issued once you are doing 10 or above then the party lights come on .
The school zone is where they bury you though its 20 and no car is designed to go that slow you have to really work at it .

Its not the MPH figure that matters but the percentage over the limit .

Essex Police used to be 10% plus 1 so 34 in a 30 would get you in trouble .

I think Police Forces are free to set their own criteria .

I got a ticket for 23 in a 20 in Old Oak Road a few years back .
Speed awareness courses. on 07:30 - Jan 12 with 780 viewsHastings_Hoops

Speed awareness courses. on 16:47 - Jan 10 by Juzzie

The thing with motorways is that you're driving three to four times faster than on a narrow road so your thinking needs to be faster too.

When I passed my test my instructor said we should go on a motorway (not compulsory as it was a separate two hour lesson) and I did. Glad to have done it.

Four times faster 😳? Speed awareness course for you - do not pass go and do not collect £100.
Speed awareness courses. on 07:39 - Jan 12 with 771 viewsHastings_Hoops

Speed awareness courses. on 09:51 - Jan 11 by TheChef

This is a gripe of mine… I know what the rule is, but I think the middle lane should be the main lane.

It allows people to drive slower than 70 if they wish and it allows people to over take, it provides insulation to people breaking down and pulling into the hard shoulder (if indeed there is one).

For me, most importantly it removes that whole horror show when a car is pootling along in the slow land, past a junction with traffic joining the slow lane from a slip road. Invariably, at that precise moment, there is some moron overtaking in the middle lane thus blocking the slow lane car into the slow lane as traffic is joining the motorway. Whenever I am driving in the slow lane or middle lane of a motorway and I am approaching a slip road onto the motorway, I do check for joining traffic to make sure this doesn’t happen to me or others - most drivers don’t and it boils my pi$$.
Speed awareness courses. on 07:48 - Jan 12 with 762 viewsJuzzie

Speed awareness courses. on 07:30 - Jan 12 by Hastings_Hoops

Four times faster 😳? Speed awareness course for you - do not pass go and do not collect £100.

Yup… if you’re doing 15mph down a narrow street then four times faster is 60mph.

(I never alluded to doing 30 )

It’s not just speed. On a motorway there are loads more vehicles around you than in a narrow street so you have to be mindful of what they are all doing at any one time.

I remember one situation on the M1 where I had moved to the 1st overtaking lane (i.e the middle lane) as the nearside lane was slowing down as so many cars were getting ready to exit t the next junction about half-a-mile away. I was behind a National Express coach and he was going too slow (should have been in the nearside lane irrespective that it was slow) so after checking there was plenty of room in the outside (2nd overtaking) lane I pulled out to overtake him. As I passed him and went to move back into the middle lane (before then moving to the nearside lane myself of course once we passed the junction) unbeknown to me the yellow Lotus that was originally behind me had undertaken the coach as we had now just passed the junction exit and was now moving back to the middle lane the same time I was.
Had I carried on we’d have collided so I had to urgently move back to the outside lane but there was now a tw@t in a Range Rover who had been tailgating me who was almost in that spot. I just moved over much to the annoyance of tailgate man but I didn’t give a schit as he should not have been that far forward in the first place had he not been barrelling down the outside lane at 90-100+.

All this happened in about 30 seconds and was a bit scary as i had my family in the car too.

That is a lot to process in such a short time compared to doing 15-20 down a narrow street.

[Post edited 12 Jan 10:37]
Speed awareness courses. on 08:22 - Jan 12 with 731 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The way forward:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/in-finland-speeding-tickets-are-linked-to
Speed awareness courses. on 08:24 - Jan 12 with 729 viewskernowhoop

I would not want to discover that our attacking players have been on speed awareness courses...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024