Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report 00:11 - Feb 12 with 5582 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61926
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 01:35 - Feb 12 with 4651 viewsVancouverHoop

Take away the context of the league table, the managers, the boardroom situations… this was a terrific game of Championship football. Utterly compelling, enduringly watchable. I’d have loved every single second of it if I wasn’t so emotionally invested I could barely bring my head out of my hands to stand a glance at it.

This. Totally and absolutely. Best game of the season for excitement, and even a bits of skill from a some quarters.

More please.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 04:36 - Feb 12 with 4492 viewsjtuck

Good report. Thank you. Throw-ins as you have often pointed out are usually utter crap for Rangers. This time, Smyth wins throw, takes it quickly and we actually score. Norwich boss Wagner credited the ball boy for throwing ball back quickly. Makes a bloody change!

LAranger

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 06:57 - Feb 12 with 4291 viewsdmm

"Ashley Barnes, these days so large if he stands still too long he risks someone colonising him and holding elections..."
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 07:16 - Feb 12 with 4249 viewsSK_hoops

My favourite thing about Ben Toner: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5071273/Referee-taken-Blackpo
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 08:39 - Feb 12 with 3898 viewsBlue_Castello

Good stuff, I noticed how Chair celebrated massively when Frey scored and could see him thinking, thank F*uck somebody else can score a goal without me running myself into the ground, also loved that picture definitely worthy of a caption competition.

Somebody posted on the match thread that they thought Frey was just lucky, not from where we were sitting in R block he wasn't, it was a deft touch and he knew where the ball was going.
[Post edited 12 Feb 8:44]
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 08:52 - Feb 12 with 3841 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

Magnificent Clive, thanks. Welcome back!

I’ve been soooo fed up of explaining to anyone defending Dykes that he simply isn’t a championship standard striker. He has the first touch of a trampoline and is never, ever in the right place. In 15 minutes Frey showed us what a proper (unfit and not very mobile!) striker can do! That first header where he got ahead of his marker at the front post (just like Charlie Austin) is a position Dykes would never be in and then the finish was as calm and made to look simple because of his reading of the game and movement.

Also, I completely agree, we now have a midfield. Compare Dozzel (heaven help us) and Duke McKenna with Hodges and Haydens. Night and day.

Marti is also working miracles. The new CEO may be a child, but those four signings, getting rid of some deadwood from the field and back room staff, free scarfs and trying to fill the lower school end for the Rotherham game. Top marks.

We were down, I was certain. Now we have a chance but it completely depends on keeping the likes of Cook, Hayden, Coldback, JCS, Frey and Cannon fit to play.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 08:53 - Feb 12 with 3816 viewsFredManRave

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 08:39 - Feb 12 by Blue_Castello

Good stuff, I noticed how Chair celebrated massively when Frey scored and could see him thinking, thank F*uck somebody else can score a goal without me running myself into the ground, also loved that picture definitely worthy of a caption competition.

Somebody posted on the match thread that they thought Frey was just lucky, not from where we were sitting in R block he wasn't, it was a deft touch and he knew where the ball was going.

I didn't know that Dykes posted on the Match Threads.

Seriously though, a write up worthy of the game. Couldn't take my eyes off it.

And after the rollercoaster of it all the bit that made me LOL the most was near the end; "Why can't we just have a nice time?"

Ironically, that's the last thing any of us actually want!

This is how it's going to be. Utterly compelling.

Indeed.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 08:54 - Feb 12 with 3827 viewsTheChef

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 04:36 - Feb 12 by jtuck

Good report. Thank you. Throw-ins as you have often pointed out are usually utter crap for Rangers. This time, Smyth wins throw, takes it quickly and we actually score. Norwich boss Wagner credited the ball boy for throwing ball back quickly. Makes a bloody change!

Think it was actually a fan in Ellerslie who got the ball back quickly.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 09:36 - Feb 12 with 3637 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Excellent write-up as ever. Thanks Clive.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 09:52 - Feb 12 with 3542 viewsstevec

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 08:52 - Feb 12 by Philothesuperhoop

I’ve been soooo fed up of explaining to anyone defending Dykes that he simply isn’t a championship standard striker. He has the first touch of a trampoline and is never, ever in the right place. In 15 minutes Frey showed us what a proper (unfit and not very mobile!) striker can do! That first header where he got ahead of his marker at the front post (just like Charlie Austin) is a position Dykes would never be in and then the finish was as calm and made to look simple because of his reading of the game and movement.

Also, I completely agree, we now have a midfield. Compare Dozzel (heaven help us) and Duke McKenna with Hodges and Haydens. Night and day.

Marti is also working miracles. The new CEO may be a child, but those four signings, getting rid of some deadwood from the field and back room staff, free scarfs and trying to fill the lower school end for the Rotherham game. Top marks.

We were down, I was certain. Now we have a chance but it completely depends on keeping the likes of Cook, Hayden, Coldback, JCS, Frey and Cannon fit to play.

Dozzell & DukeMcKenna. I’ve just broken out in a cold sweat.

It’s a miracle we’re still remotely in touch.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 10:21 - Feb 12 with 3408 viewsLblock

I only saw the last 9 minutes of this due to other things going on at the moment.

However if the following paragraph sums things up then even I can only be positive:-

"Lucas Andersen – think of the roll neck sweaters this guy and Sam Field are going to wear together - had all the information he needed. Smyth’s hard work on defence (Chris, paging Chris, Chris?) won a throw where there was no throw to be won. He took it quickly to the Dane and a foot was quickly drawn back. Frey set off, as centre forwards are supposed to do. The delivery was right on point. The finish was immaculate. Genuinely, look at that turn of foot and contact. Print it out for Joan. Rangers were level, the ground was alive. Southampton 3 Huddersfield 3. Feel the noise. From the tub and the four slice with a handmade 'no funeral' sign to a sizeable return on the Premium Bonds and Jennifer Lawrence sitting on your face. This is how it’s going to be."

Wonderful.

I will still refuse to believe we can actually do it but..........

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 10:24 - Feb 12 with 3396 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 08:52 - Feb 12 by Philothesuperhoop

Just like Austin you say, except Austin didn't + couldn't 2nd time round and althou not fit he was probably fitter + could move as quick as Frey, so it could be Austin failed due to slow ball into the box,

I think the change is more down to Anderson's crossing ability (early + accurate) as opposed to slow + inaccurate (Chair + Smyth)

If I'm right we've found someone who could solve our corner + set-piece woes,

If you're right, we've found a target man who's a goal-scorer

I hope we're both right.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 10:40 - Feb 12 with 3314 viewsterryb

After watching the loanees last season taking an early long holiday, I didn't want us to enter the loan market this season.

But we did & what a difference! Hayden & Hodge in the last two games, have shown that they want to be here & playing. Afraid of being in a relegation team/battle? Not a bit of it, bring it on & we will do all we can for the team to survive!

The other two January signings played their part as well!
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 10:48 - Feb 12 with 3282 viewsAndybrat

What a rollercoaster!! I already bite my nails it seems all around me joined me in my bad habit. Biting your nails with your hands over your eyes is quite a trick we all succeeded at. Those who questioned Anderson’s running are asking the wrong question, he obviously lets the ball do the work. Towards the end he was in a dangerous position for us just outside our box and somehow hit a beauty straight to the feet of ( I want to say Dykes). A La John Byre. His passing with Illias and Jo running could be game changing. Hayden oozed class, all my Geordie mates ( both of them) said proper player who won’t let you down. Great to have you back and so positive Clive, makes it easier after such a game. COYRS
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 11:36 - Feb 12 with 3102 viewsmart_Goblin

Great write up Clive.
Encapsulated the anxiety and exhaustion of watching us at the moment .
I said to my son twice during the game “does this look like a side in the bottom 3 to you?” because for the first time in a long time we looked like we should be at this level . There have been flashes but Saturday felt much better . Just disappointed it wasn’t 3 points that’s all and that adds to the worry and anxiety going in to Wednesday, which I already have butterflies about .

Not posted much since Saturday as it was exhausting but did read posters saying Frey was lucky (utter nonsense), Haydon was exposed by Sargeant (utter nonsense) and taking Armstrong off was a terrible decision (yet again totally disagree. He was spent by half time. He has nothing left to give and was ineffective in that period between Norwich goals.)

And as for Ashley Barnes, I don’t get it . We all knew he would ref the game . I know someone who works match days and interacts with the officials upon their arrival. I asked them at 1.30pm “did you tell him not let Ashley Barnes run the game?”

So if we knew why do refs put up with it?
It’s not just him though . Every match we play we come across a central figure from the opposition who in the end wears the referee down . Barnes did this Saturday and with 20 minutes left the ref just caved in. It’s there for all to see.

Felt shattered after and I wasn’t the only one .
Dreading Wednesday but for the first time this season I think we might get out of this .
We might not . But we look like a team at last .
And yes, Haydon has to play . Please god!! (Said the atheist).
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 13:44 - Feb 12 with 2636 viewsMungoJezza

A very entertaining report, as ever, Clive. However, there are a few points I would like to make regarding balance. I think you're being a bit harsh on Chris Willock. Yes, he doesn't help himself at times, with his questionable attitude and approach on the pitch. Perhaps he doesn't want to be at the club, maybe his body is shot, as you claim. I would say that aside from Chair, he is the most likely of our players to create chances/score goals, and this is why Marti starts him over Smyth. Colback's well executed goal resulted from an excellent cross from Willock, delivered first time, right in the danger area. Contrast this approach with Chair, late in the game, with the team on a fast break. He opts to cut inside on his right foot and try to curl a worldie into the top corner, with both Anderson and Frey waiting in the box. I was furious at the time, another example of Chair not playing the percentages, potentially costing us two points, and not mentioned in your report.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 13:55 - Feb 12 with 2579 viewsPhilmyRs

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 13:44 - Feb 12 by MungoJezza

A very entertaining report, as ever, Clive. However, there are a few points I would like to make regarding balance. I think you're being a bit harsh on Chris Willock. Yes, he doesn't help himself at times, with his questionable attitude and approach on the pitch. Perhaps he doesn't want to be at the club, maybe his body is shot, as you claim. I would say that aside from Chair, he is the most likely of our players to create chances/score goals, and this is why Marti starts him over Smyth. Colback's well executed goal resulted from an excellent cross from Willock, delivered first time, right in the danger area. Contrast this approach with Chair, late in the game, with the team on a fast break. He opts to cut inside on his right foot and try to curl a worldie into the top corner, with both Anderson and Frey waiting in the box. I was furious at the time, another example of Chair not playing the percentages, potentially costing us two points, and not mentioned in your report.

Got to agree with this. Thought it was a great report and agree with most of it, especially the choice of MOTM, but do feel Willock was a little harshly done by based on his performance. For me, it was the best he’s played since Preston away. Yes, it’s not a very high bar but given he played a key role in the goal, was fairly tidy with possession, and ghosted past the opposition a few times before being cynically brought down, I thought there were bits of his game which were encouraging, so to see the criticism and being the only Rangers player with a 5 next to their name, feels a little harsh. Although based on their overall contribution this season and the contract situation, I can understand why fans are being less appreciative.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 14:16 - Feb 12 with 2483 viewsNorthernr

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 13:44 - Feb 12 by MungoJezza

Willock's cross for the goal was decent, but on defence he just does not want to know. Not interested. Like I say, around the 40th minute Cifuentes lost the plot with him, gave him an absolute spray, and he deserved it. The other week against Huddersfield it was noticeable how much less Drewe got exposed by Thomas once Smyth was in front of him rather than Willock. You certainly can't say this of Chair, and for all this talk of him hanging on too long he went round his man and put a beautiful early cross in on Saturday - as usual it went right through the six yard box while our strikers gormlessly watched it go.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 14:19 - Feb 12 with 2467 viewsMatch82

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 08:39 - Feb 12 by Blue_Castello

It was me. I haven't seen a replay, delighted to be proved wrong if so. I thought he had some great movement but some poor touches. I'd rather that than the other way around, once the rust is shaken off we could have a great player on our hands
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 15:12 - Feb 12 with 2283 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 13:55 - Feb 12 by PhilmyRs

Got to agree with this. Thought it was a great report and agree with most of it, especially the choice of MOTM, but do feel Willock was a little harshly done by based on his performance. For me, it was the best he’s played since Preston away. Yes, it’s not a very high bar but given he played a key role in the goal, was fairly tidy with possession, and ghosted past the opposition a few times before being cynically brought down, I thought there were bits of his game which were encouraging, so to see the criticism and being the only Rangers player with a 5 next to their name, feels a little harsh. Although based on their overall contribution this season and the contract situation, I can understand why fans are being less appreciative.

I thought Willock was poor myself apart from a couple of flashes of his old self and worse in the games before that simply because he cannot accelerate anymore and worse still cannot read the game it looks like at least on tv
Multiple times he either played the wrong pass or was not ready to pounce on crisp passes from other players and the chance was gone.
Also he seemed to be still trying the Chair to himself ritual even with better options available .
If what Clive typed in his preview is correct and a deal fell through on deadline day to move him I feel his head is not here anymore and more important Marti does not trust him in critical situations
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 16:29 - Feb 12 with 2078 viewsdm97

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 14:16 - Feb 12 by Northernr

Willock's cross for the goal was decent, but on defence he just does not want to know. Not interested. Like I say, around the 40th minute Cifuentes lost the plot with him, gave him an absolute spray, and he deserved it. The other week against Huddersfield it was noticeable how much less Drewe got exposed by Thomas once Smyth was in front of him rather than Willock. You certainly can't say this of Chair, and for all this talk of him hanging on too long he went round his man and put a beautiful early cross in on Saturday - as usual it went right through the six yard box while our strikers gormlessly watched it go.

Just to add to this general point: after every game I do a cursory look through oppo fans tweets to gauge their views. Almost every week there are compliments about Chair and I can’t remember the last time Willock came up. Basic, perhaps reductionist, data point but think it is rather telling about who other teams would rather on their flank.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 16:44 - Feb 12 with 2031 viewsParkRoyalR

C'mon fella, if you can read what both Chair + Frey are thinking, perhaps you could give us a tip for the Stoke result?

Maybe Chair was thinking, head-up, first time cross, goal, maybe I should try that more often?

Credit is presumably due to Marti for Chair now going outside and crossing on his surprisingly good left foot,

Now the others know he can and will do this, we might see more early runs into the box, attacking both posts and the edge of the box.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 17:00 - Feb 12 with 1983 viewsPhilmyRs

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 15:12 - Feb 12 by CLAREMAN1995

I thought Willock was poor myself apart from a couple of flashes of his old self and worse in the games before that simply because he cannot accelerate anymore and worse still cannot read the game it looks like at least on tv
Multiple times he either played the wrong pass or was not ready to pounce on crisp passes from other players and the chance was gone.
Also he seemed to be still trying the Chair to himself ritual even with better options available .
If what Clive typed in his preview is correct and a deal fell through on deadline day to move him I feel his head is not here anymore and more important Marti does not trust him in critical situations

On the accelerate point, I agree it’s a problem, but a couple of times on Saturday I thought he showed a turn of pace and actually got away from a couple of players and they had to bring him down – I was surprised as not seen that type of thing much from him. I can remember a game where we launched a counter from the keeper’s throw and he seemed to have no problem sprinting, which suggests he does still have it in the locker.

He's clearly disinterested and not working as hard as he should without the ball, and clearly he doesn’t trust his body. I also agree if Drewe is playing, perhaps a rethink is required, but for now, while we’re looking pretty solid defensively – it’s set pieces and individual errors costing us, not Willock’s work rate – and it’s scoring goals which has been a major problem, having him in the side to create chances or score from outside the box, is probably just about worth it on balance.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 17:38 - Feb 12 with 1829 viewsMungoJezza

The defensive side of the game has never been a strength of Willock's game, and probably never will be. Analysis of the remaining 15 matches indicates 11 high stakes games where there are obvious and realistic targets for both teams - promotion/play offs/ survival. Many of these games are likely to be closely fought, tense affairs, where everyone (including Willock) will need to put a shift in. However, strong hearts and minds, grit and determination are unlikely to be sufficient. Inevitably, there will be moments in games where a flash of brilliance is required, or at least someone stepping up to the plate to play that killer pass or take that half-chance. For what's it worth, Willock is joint second in goal contributions this season, despite hardly having played under Ainsworth. Crucially, I feel his judgement of when to pass/shoot is superior to Chair's.
Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 17:56 - Feb 12 with 1750 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey ties up cliffhanger on home debut – Report on 17:38 - Feb 12 by MungoJezza

The defensive side of the game has never been a strength of Willock's game, and probably never will be. Analysis of the remaining 15 matches indicates 11 high stakes games where there are obvious and realistic targets for both teams - promotion/play offs/ survival. Many of these games are likely to be closely fought, tense affairs, where everyone (including Willock) will need to put a shift in. However, strong hearts and minds, grit and determination are unlikely to be sufficient. Inevitably, there will be moments in games where a flash of brilliance is required, or at least someone stepping up to the plate to play that killer pass or take that half-chance. For what's it worth, Willock is joint second in goal contributions this season, despite hardly having played under Ainsworth. Crucially, I feel his judgement of when to pass/shoot is superior to Chair's.

Your last two sentences nail it and explain why this team has gone into free-fall since Willock's hamstrings went.

For all his undoubted hard work going forward it was Chair who didn't put the effort in to track back and stop Paal being overloaded for their 2nd goal.

With Hadyn now on the right of the two and being a real athlete, if he stays fit, Marti can then risk Willock on the right, knowing Hadyn can cover his shortfall in defensive running and covering.

And as you say, it's chances created + goals that Willock brings to the team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024