Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stan Bowles 10:21 - Feb 23 with 32790 viewsBakes

Rest In Peace
[Post edited 24 Feb 21:36]

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Stan Bowles on 13:46 - Feb 25 with 2885 viewsArgyBargy1982

So many treasured memories of watching Stan in his pomp from the Ellerslie with my Dad, also sadly passed away.
If there are some heaven elevens, I hope Stan is wearing the number 10 for the Mavericks and Dad has the best seat in the house.
Stan Bowles on 13:50 - Feb 25 with 2859 viewsNov77

Looks like a few locals have started leaving tributes outside the ground

[Post edited 25 Feb 13:51]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Stan Bowles on 15:05 - Feb 25 with 2695 viewsBenny_the_Ball

This one's well worth a read. Some brilliant stories involving Stan and his good friend, Don Shanks:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13123515/Stan-Bowles-QPR-Don-

Yes, yes, I know, it's the Daily Mail but grit your teeth, I promise it'll be worth it.
[Post edited 25 Feb 16:02]
Stan Bowles on 15:58 - Feb 25 with 2640 viewsw7r

Was lucky enough to see him play in my early QPR days as a 13-year-old herbert.

A special, special player who along with Dave Thomas had me hooked.

I can't add anything that the other tributes haven't already said, and far more eloquently than I can.

Thanks for the wonderful memories Stan, and see you up the road fella.
Stan Bowles on 16:12 - Feb 25 with 2610 viewsKodika

I know a lot of people on this forum have a low opinion of Martin Samuel and think he is anti QPR, but to be fair to him he wrote a very nice article about Stan in today's Times. I know it is behind a paywall, but it can be accessed for free on X. Well worth a read.
Stan Bowles on 16:51 - Feb 25 with 2520 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stan Bowles on 16:12 - Feb 25 by Kodika

I know a lot of people on this forum have a low opinion of Martin Samuel and think he is anti QPR, but to be fair to him he wrote a very nice article about Stan in today's Times. I know it is behind a paywall, but it can be accessed for free on X. Well worth a read.

https://archive.ph/

This helps!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stan Bowles on 16:52 - Feb 25 with 2504 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That's a lovely article.

Thanks for sharing.

Stan Bowles on 16:55 - Feb 25 with 2484 viewsSalisburyHoop1968

Thank you Stan for allowing us to have you among us Hoops. My father ( life long hoop) passed away many years ago and I bet he can't wait to buy you a pint up there.

You will never be forgotten.

Xxx
Login to get fewer ads

Stan Bowles on 17:36 - Feb 25 with 2388 viewspaulparker

In a world obsessed with money and fame it’s the life of Stan Bowles that we all should live
Laughs , jokes , and being care free , him and Shanks have lived a life with plenty of stories to tell
Life goes so quick that we should make the most of every second

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Stan Bowles on 17:41 - Feb 25 with 2378 viewsCamberleyR

Nice obituary in The Guardian from Julie Welch
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/25/stan-bowles-obituary

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Stan Bowles on 18:22 - Feb 25 with 2321 viewsstowmarketrange

I wonder if they still have Stan’s appearance on Superstars on video somewhere?I’d love to watch it again for old times sake.
Stan Bowles on 18:32 - Feb 25 with 2287 viewsCamberleyR

Stan Bowles on 18:22 - Feb 25 by stowmarketrange

I wonder if they still have Stan’s appearance on Superstars on video somewhere?I’d love to watch it again for old times sake.

From 1:25 here. They show the canoeing first then the pistol shooting

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Stan Bowles on 18:51 - Feb 25 with 2212 viewsLogman

Stan Bowles on 15:05 - Feb 25 by Benny_the_Ball

This one's well worth a read. Some brilliant stories involving Stan and his good friend, Don Shanks:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13123515/Stan-Bowles-QPR-Don-

Yes, yes, I know, it's the Daily Mail but grit your teeth, I promise it'll be worth it.
[Post edited 25 Feb 16:02]

Yes, a great article. And what a dignified gentleman Don Shanks is. Needs to be incorporated into the legends asap.
Stan Bowles on 19:11 - Feb 25 with 2175 viewsBedford_R

Not sure if thsi has been posted before but here is a link to triubutes to Stan across the entertainment - not just football.

What a reach that man had....

https://www.nme.com/news/entertainment-world-pays-tribute-to-late-footballer-sta

RMH_R Reborn

Stan Bowles on 19:32 - Feb 25 with 2141 viewsPikey

Stan Bowles on 12:53 - Feb 23 by CamberleyR

I think the last time he was at HQ was after his condition had worsened, for that pre-season friendly against Bournemouth where before the game he came out on the pitch accompanied by Don Shanks and Gerry Francis.

So, so sad. As others have said, we all realised this day was probably getting nearer but it doesn't make it any easier.

I think after he does finally pass, the club should change that name on the stand. Change it to the 'Stan Bowles Stand'. He was always 'Stan'. He was never known at the club as 'Stanley'.

The chant was Stanley, Stanley, Stanley not Stan stan Stan.
Hence the Stanley Bowles stand.
Stan Bowles on 19:43 - Feb 25 with 2123 viewsPBLOCK

Stan was before my time but I have seen the footage and have been told stories by others about just how good he was

Many great tributes on here from those that were lucky enough to see him

For me if you look at other clubs message boards many fans are saying what a genius he was and how he was their favourite “other team” player, that is a huge tribute. They all wanted a swashbuckling maverick who could get you off your seat and play to the gallery, but lucky for us for the prime of his career he was ours

My mates Dad loved Stan, he would’ve been late teens nearly 20 during 75/76 and Stan was his hero. Anyway sometime early mid 90’s we were walking to the game and Stan was walking along my mates dad ran like Usain Bolt to meet his hero and someone happened to have a camera so he managed to get a pic of him and the great man smiling together he was walking on air all the way home. So a few weeks later I go round my mates house and walk into the front room now ever since I had known him on top of the Telly was a pic from his Mum and Dads wedding day and pic of him and his two brothers

Not anymore his dad had got the picture framed and replaced the pictures of his wedding day to his wife of now nearly 50 years and his 3 son and heirs

The man was adored by many and will be missed, but not forgotten

Go well Stan the Man
Stan Bowles on 19:52 - Feb 25 with 2080 viewsstainrods_elbow

Stan Bowles on 17:36 - Feb 25 by paulparker

In a world obsessed with money and fame it’s the life of Stan Bowles that we all should live
Laughs , jokes , and being care free , him and Shanks have lived a life with plenty of stories to tell
Life goes so quick that we should make the most of every second

To be fair, as a gambling man who clearly never saved a penny, Stan was always pretty motivated by money, and a number of his more colourful stories at QPR coagulate around fiscal shenanigans; e.g. the one about Ron Phillips escaping his own office into South Africa Road to avoid having to give him yet another sub, and the hilarious two-timing of Gola and Adidas with his boot sponsorship. He once said his main regret about pulling out of the European Cup Final with Forest was not getting a medal he could sell, and it's pretty common knowledge he mainly went there for financial reasons. His association with the Quality Street Gang, who contained some pretty spicy criminal elements, was long-standing, and he said he'd probably have ended up knocking around with them full-time if he hadn't made it in football. Basically, I see him as a guy who swerved a life as a minor Mancunian gangster to kick a ball with such gifted guile it made your soul sing.

I've been thinking this weekend about what a hero is, and about how 'charisma' manifests (especially when one is a child),and I do feel that, apart from being a talented law to oneself, working with a unique passion, charm and ingenuity, and taking real risks that pay off and inspire us all, part of it involves the presence of a certain penumbra. It's why the likes of Emlyn Hughes or Gary Lineker or Michael Owen could never be true hero material - they play/ed far too straight a bat. (At the other end of the spectrum, Vinnie Jones was simply a thug, gripped by destructive sickness.) This shadow-thing was true of another childhood hero of mine: Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor Who, a marvellously compelling actor and character who also drank with Francis Bacon and could really throw his weight around on set. Andrea Bowles has called Stan a selfish father, even though at the same time (I never met him socially) he was apparently friendly and without airs and graces in person. The two things, the selfish/sleazy/unsavoury side and the genius/charm - are perhaps both are a function of a certain kind of narcissism or affable arrogance. It's why, despite all the money he made (and lost) in his career, we were so happy to put our hands in our pockets for the GoFundMe campaigns, even thought there were/are arguably far more morally 'deserving' cases. The charisma, in a nutshell, cancelled the 'deserving' element. On the pitch, Stan also had an artful way of dealing with his own misplaced passes - knowing, as he said, that the Rangers crowd could get quite nasty, he'd throw his hands wide to make the intended recipient the fall guy. He and Gerry were also very controlling of e.g. free kick routines, pissing off an international like Don Masson, in a way that may have been to the detriment of the team. He was controversial through and through, a kaleidoscope of contradictions, and as complex as they come.

To me, all this deepens and complicates the man himself, and acts as a check on one-sided idealisation. It makes me love him more, knowing as well he perhaps never really needed us (until the cruel end when he did). Those who are 'simply themselves' tend to inspire more irrational love than those who are thoroughly decent. And now, of course, his life being ended, that love is endless.
[Post edited 25 Feb 20:12]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Stan Bowles on 19:55 - Feb 25 with 2083 viewsOldPedro

Just read that - lovely article.

RIP Stanley
[Post edited 25 Feb 20:00]

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Stan Bowles on 22:07 - Feb 25 with 1913 viewsfrancisbowles

I am old enough and lucky enough to remember his FA Cup 3rd Round Replay headed goal in the 1-0 win over that lot from Fulham Broadway. It was played at 1.30 on a Monday afternoon as there were no floodlights allowed due the three days week. Think it was 1974. The original magic hat.
RIP Stan you were the best.
Stan Bowles on 08:18 - Feb 26 with 1711 viewsBexleyHoop

Some wonderful tributes on this post.

Stan IS the reason why I support QPR. Remember seeing him on tv aged four in 1974 playing for a team who played in the best kit. I was hooked, much to the dismay of my Millwall supporting family. Thank you.
Stan Bowles on 16:12 - Feb 26 with 1576 viewsStanFan

I was lucky enough to see pretty much all of his home games and a few away too. What a player and what a character. Just loved going to LR in those days. So many memories.
Stan Bowles on 22:30 - Feb 26 with 1417 viewsDWQPR

There is a 10 page thread on the Man City forum on Stan. Some wonderful tributes and stories.

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/stan-bowles-rip.363638/

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Stan Bowles on 23:35 - Feb 26 with 1369 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Stan Bowles on 19:52 - Feb 25 by stainrods_elbow

To be fair, as a gambling man who clearly never saved a penny, Stan was always pretty motivated by money, and a number of his more colourful stories at QPR coagulate around fiscal shenanigans; e.g. the one about Ron Phillips escaping his own office into South Africa Road to avoid having to give him yet another sub, and the hilarious two-timing of Gola and Adidas with his boot sponsorship. He once said his main regret about pulling out of the European Cup Final with Forest was not getting a medal he could sell, and it's pretty common knowledge he mainly went there for financial reasons. His association with the Quality Street Gang, who contained some pretty spicy criminal elements, was long-standing, and he said he'd probably have ended up knocking around with them full-time if he hadn't made it in football. Basically, I see him as a guy who swerved a life as a minor Mancunian gangster to kick a ball with such gifted guile it made your soul sing.

I've been thinking this weekend about what a hero is, and about how 'charisma' manifests (especially when one is a child),and I do feel that, apart from being a talented law to oneself, working with a unique passion, charm and ingenuity, and taking real risks that pay off and inspire us all, part of it involves the presence of a certain penumbra. It's why the likes of Emlyn Hughes or Gary Lineker or Michael Owen could never be true hero material - they play/ed far too straight a bat. (At the other end of the spectrum, Vinnie Jones was simply a thug, gripped by destructive sickness.) This shadow-thing was true of another childhood hero of mine: Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor Who, a marvellously compelling actor and character who also drank with Francis Bacon and could really throw his weight around on set. Andrea Bowles has called Stan a selfish father, even though at the same time (I never met him socially) he was apparently friendly and without airs and graces in person. The two things, the selfish/sleazy/unsavoury side and the genius/charm - are perhaps both are a function of a certain kind of narcissism or affable arrogance. It's why, despite all the money he made (and lost) in his career, we were so happy to put our hands in our pockets for the GoFundMe campaigns, even thought there were/are arguably far more morally 'deserving' cases. The charisma, in a nutshell, cancelled the 'deserving' element. On the pitch, Stan also had an artful way of dealing with his own misplaced passes - knowing, as he said, that the Rangers crowd could get quite nasty, he'd throw his hands wide to make the intended recipient the fall guy. He and Gerry were also very controlling of e.g. free kick routines, pissing off an international like Don Masson, in a way that may have been to the detriment of the team. He was controversial through and through, a kaleidoscope of contradictions, and as complex as they come.

To me, all this deepens and complicates the man himself, and acts as a check on one-sided idealisation. It makes me love him more, knowing as well he perhaps never really needed us (until the cruel end when he did). Those who are 'simply themselves' tend to inspire more irrational love than those who are thoroughly decent. And now, of course, his life being ended, that love is endless.
[Post edited 25 Feb 20:12]

Very impressive post there stainrods_elbow really enjoyed that and sums up Stan the man beautifully.
Sad that he ended his playing career broke and indeed his regular life before he contracted that cruel disease .
You have to simply love the art not the artist as Bruce Springsteen so aptly put but in Stans case you have the whole package and they truly broke the mold when they made him.
RIP
Stan Bowles on 09:38 - Feb 27 with 1279 viewsNorthernr

Chris Guy's excellent piece on the offish...

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2024/february/26/stan-bowles-putting-qpr-on-the-map/
Stan Bowles on 09:53 - Feb 27 with 1249 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stan Bowles on 09:38 - Feb 27 by Northernr

Chris Guy's excellent piece on the offish...

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2024/february/26/stan-bowles-putting-qpr-on-the-map/

Beat me to it.

Lovely writing by Chris. He's been a great addition to the club.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024