Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frey 21:57 - Feb 24 with 12062 viewsbaz_qpr

Bit Marmite isn't he.

I thought he was excellent myself and a real threat in the box with excellent movement, pressed well and some decent hold up play. Reading through the board others thought he was toilet.
Frey on 14:35 - Feb 25 with 2190 viewsbaz_qpr

Frey on 13:38 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

I would respectfully suggest you do not use a must win relegation game to get a new player up to fitness.

We were so disjointed and poor for first half hour it looked like what it was, some of these players have had minimal game time together.

I really think we got away with one yesterday and don't understand why Marti took those unnecessary risks.

We struggled first half because we were physically intimated / over powered. They had a numerical advantage in midfield and kept getting their 8 in acres of space. Hodge had a really poor game. Their wingback number 40 dominated Paal. Marti adjusted our formation and made the tactical changes to solve that at half time, but Hodge missed a sitter and we should have been even at half time. Nothing to do with Frey
Frey on 14:43 - Feb 25 with 2158 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Frey on 12:05 - Feb 25 by Northernr

We were having this discussion about why he didn't put Armstrong on to run at Morrison, who like you say was slow as rust. The conclusion we drew is they were so deep there was virtually no space whatsoever to run into behind him, which is basically Armstrong's plan A, B and C.

Agreed.

I would have liked to see Dyke start as we do press better with him in the team, but Frey offers more goalscoring threat so I can see the argument for starting him as well.

Plus, as ever, we don't know who's playing well in training.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Frey on 14:49 - Feb 25 with 2118 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Frey on 14:19 - Feb 25 by gazza1

We will be in a relegation battle for some time yet so when do you play Frey to get him match fit - next season!!!!! OK to wait if we got decent strikers who score goals but sadly we have not got one of those!!!!!

We had a poor start but then we were creating chances but not scoring due to good defending.....my thoughts were that because we were creating chances, and good ones, I was confident that we would get a result and we did not 'get away with one'.

I agree.

I thought we reacted well to their goal and started creating chances almost immediately. I was doing some reports for the Match Thread and we were active and playing quite well. At half-time, I was also confident enough.

Deserved to win that game yesterday despite the concession of a soft goal.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Frey on 14:54 - Feb 25 with 2087 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

I didn’t see this thing that Dykes did more in the last ten mins than Frey did all game? I sometimes wonder if I was at the same game?!

Frey is slow and possibly unfit, but is a proper striker. He moves to the right places and gets across his defender. His header cleaned off the line in the first half was a great example. Also he held the ball up really well several times. He also laid the ball off out wide then immediately sprinted (?!) into the six yard box. Dykes just doesn’t do that - he is ALWAYS in the wrong place.

We have to persevere with this guy as he’s the best we’ve got by some distance.
Frey on 15:04 - Feb 25 with 2025 viewshubble

Frey on 12:09 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Marti went from arguably his best half of football, made 3 big calls in benching Field, Andersen + Dykes and turned in arguably his worst half of football, that's not pretty sensible in a must win game.

This forums much maligned Chris Willock arguably saved our season yesterday and you think, right Marti, fresh legs now, and yet he leaves a clearly tired Frey on for another 10 minutes?

Modern coaches talk about systems, tactics, match fitness, early substitutions to protect players from injury and we've had Kolli defending the 6 yard box, Hodge starting 24 hours after joining, Frey going from a clearly unfit 15 minute cameo to starting + playing 80minutes odd in a must not lose game?! That's all fairly bizarre imo.

We were obviously watching a different game. Yes, we were slow out of the traps first half and Rotherham's press was very effective, but as the half wore on we began to dominate and then really threaten their goal, and were unlucky not to score, twice (one was Frey's chance). So far from his worst half of football. And since we won this must-win game, I reckon Marti got it right.

The only bizarre line-up Marti has played (IMO) was the starting line-up v Stoke, with the Diddy Men attacking midfield of Chair, Hodge and Smyth. Yesterday, the opening 15 minutes apart, we were the better side and largely controlled the game.

You also talk about Hodge starting 24 hours after joining: well, he scored on his debut and we won that game too. So I'm rather mystified by your analysis.
[Post edited 25 Feb 15:55]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Frey on 15:22 - Feb 25 with 1978 viewslassel

We were having this discussion about why he didn't put Armstrong on to run at Morrison, who like you say was slow as rust. The conclusion we drew is they were so deep there was virtually no space whatsoever to run into behind him, which is basically Armstrong's plan A, B and C.

Even Stevie Wonder has seen that Rotherham full apart when faced with quick passing and movement so I guess Armstrong wouldn’t have been the choice because incisive one touch football is most certainly not his game and then as you say there was no way that cobbled together defence was going to be pushing up to halfway.
Frey on 15:24 - Feb 25 with 1975 viewsNorthernr

Frey on 15:04 - Feb 25 by hubble

We were obviously watching a different game. Yes, we were slow out of the traps first half and Rotherham's press was very effective, but as the half wore on we began to dominate and then really threaten their goal, and were unlucky not to score, twice (one was Frey's chance). So far from his worst half of football. And since we won this must-win game, I reckon Marti got it right.

The only bizarre line-up Marti has played (IMO) was the starting line-up v Stoke, with the Diddy Men attacking midfield of Chair, Hodge and Smyth. Yesterday, the opening 15 minutes apart, we were the better side and largely controlled the game.

You also talk about Hodge starting 24 hours after joining: well, he scored on his debut and we won that game too. So I'm rather mystified by your analysis.
[Post edited 25 Feb 15:55]

Hodge also didn't start that game, he came off the bench and scored within a few minutes.
Frey on 15:29 - Feb 25 with 1959 viewssprocket

It's early days but Frey is sloooow however his first touch is pretty good and as been spoken on here his anticipation is best of our striker bunch so overall I think a good addition.
Login to get fewer ads

Frey on 15:33 - Feb 25 with 1941 viewsQPROslo

I thought Frey looked well off the pace early on when he struggled to reach or control a few balls played to him out of defence, but the quality of those passes wasn't great either. He got better as the half went on after they scored, like the whole team, his hold up play improved, and it took a decent save to prevent him scoring. Hopefully Andersen can start again next week and pick out Frey's good movement in the penalty area like he did against Norwich and for Chair at Bristol.
Frey on 15:58 - Feb 25 with 1875 viewshubble

Frey on 15:24 - Feb 25 by Northernr

Hodge also didn't start that game, he came off the bench and scored within a few minutes.

[Post edited 25 Feb 16:00]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Frey on 16:04 - Feb 25 with 1857 viewsBurnleyhoop

Frey on 15:33 - Feb 25 by QPROslo

I thought Frey looked well off the pace early on when he struggled to reach or control a few balls played to him out of defence, but the quality of those passes wasn't great either. He got better as the half went on after they scored, like the whole team, his hold up play improved, and it took a decent save to prevent him scoring. Hopefully Andersen can start again next week and pick out Frey's good movement in the penalty area like he did against Norwich and for Chair at Bristol.

Frey hasn’t played for months, so is clearly a few weeks away from getting up to speed and fully match fit. The evidence is clear to see, he is a natural striker that makes instinctive runs into goal scoring positions. Dykes and Armstrong have certain attributes, but scoring goals isn’t one of them.

For me they are disruptors, but we remain reliant on others scoring the goals when they play. We need a striker that can contribute regularly and he should be, preferably, our top goal scorer.

Marti, in fairness, has barely put a foot wrong and I have more faith in his judgement than in most of our previous incumbents since Warnock ruled supreme.
Frey on 16:12 - Feb 25 with 1800 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Yes, Armstrong needs space in behind to attack. Rotherham going ahead early doors pretty much ruled out bringing Sinclair on. The Millers had something to hold on to and could therefore sit deep.
Frey on 16:17 - Feb 25 with 1817 viewsAntti_Heinola

Frey on 12:09 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Marti went from arguably his best half of football, made 3 big calls in benching Field, Andersen + Dykes and turned in arguably his worst half of football, that's not pretty sensible in a must win game.

This forums much maligned Chris Willock arguably saved our season yesterday and you think, right Marti, fresh legs now, and yet he leaves a clearly tired Frey on for another 10 minutes?

Modern coaches talk about systems, tactics, match fitness, early substitutions to protect players from injury and we've had Kolli defending the 6 yard box, Hodge starting 24 hours after joining, Frey going from a clearly unfit 15 minute cameo to starting + playing 80minutes odd in a must not lose game?! That's all fairly bizarre imo.

Maybe to you, but then you haven't worked with the players all week, you don't have access to their fitness stats and you don't know them - you don't even know that Hodge came on as a sub in the game you refer to, for starters.
Managers and coaches always have reasons for the decisions they make - as others have said, Andersen and Field were sick in the week and so if they worked on patterns of play for this game, they wouldn't have been part of that - hardly bizarre to therefore rule them out, particularly with Colback having a rest last week. Dykes has scored 5 goals all season, don't think it's particularly bizarre for him not to start. I didn't see much wrong with Frey's fitness yesterday.

Bare bones.

Frey on 17:06 - Feb 25 with 1724 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 14:21 - Feb 25 by Northernr

TBF to Gaz I'll vouch that he said at half time he thought we'd be fine when I was having doubts, so he's not saying that in hindsight.

Before those changes at Half-Time, for me, a Rotherham 2nd goal was looking more likely than a Rangers equaliser.

As others have said Marti's changes at HT improved the team Field winning possession and Willock been more effective in the middle, so in fairness, Marti did fix the problems, even if they might have been of his own making.
Frey on 17:20 - Feb 25 with 1674 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 16:17 - Feb 25 by Antti_Heinola

Maybe to you, but then you haven't worked with the players all week, you don't have access to their fitness stats and you don't know them - you don't even know that Hodge came on as a sub in the game you refer to, for starters.
Managers and coaches always have reasons for the decisions they make - as others have said, Andersen and Field were sick in the week and so if they worked on patterns of play for this game, they wouldn't have been part of that - hardly bizarre to therefore rule them out, particularly with Colback having a rest last week. Dykes has scored 5 goals all season, don't think it's particularly bizarre for him not to start. I didn't see much wrong with Frey's fitness yesterday.

Hodge whether he started or came on as Sub was a strange call, as had spent no time with the team, albeit he scored so that justifies that call.

We don't now how they trained this week but I do know Field was disappointed to be dropped and in a must win game I would start on the front foot with the team that finished last week's game so well.

After yesterday's poor 1st Half Marti may have inadvertently found his best starting XI will Willock in the middle of the 3, and with Chair + Andersen either side, I would be confident that attack could trouble most teams in this division.

I hope he now knows his best Starting XI and there's no more surprises versus WBA.
Frey on 17:27 - Feb 25 with 1642 viewsAntti_Heinola

Frey on 17:20 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Hodge whether he started or came on as Sub was a strange call, as had spent no time with the team, albeit he scored so that justifies that call.

We don't now how they trained this week but I do know Field was disappointed to be dropped and in a must win game I would start on the front foot with the team that finished last week's game so well.

After yesterday's poor 1st Half Marti may have inadvertently found his best starting XI will Willock in the middle of the 3, and with Chair + Andersen either side, I would be confident that attack could trouble most teams in this division.

I hope he now knows his best Starting XI and there's no more surprises versus WBA.

I mean, we're all entitled to our opinion but your condescension towards a manager that has basically dragged one of the worst QPR teams in the last 40 years to having a shot at avoiding relegation is pretty breathtaking.
Field should be disappointed - he's a good professional.
Worth noting that we created more and arguably better chances to score in the first half than the second, too, with their keeper making 4 very decent saves.
His 'best' starting XI will change depending on what he wants and who we're facing, as it always has done.

Bare bones.

Frey on 17:30 - Feb 25 with 1611 viewsOldPedro

Frey on 17:20 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

I'm not sure we have a best starting 11, we have different options now since signing Frey, Hodge, Hayden and Andersen. Lots of people agreed with the starting 11 against Stoke and didn't with the starting 11 against Bristol City, yet we were poor against Stoke and very good against BC.

Add in the fact that some of our players can be good in one game and awful in the next makes it even more difficult to pick our strongest 11.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Frey on 20:55 - Feb 25 with 1394 viewsNorthantsHoop

Thought Frey had a good game and is building up his fitness and a brave choice from Marti to give him a start as he gets used to the Championship. Looks a bit of a beast of a forward and expecting good things from him as his match fitness improves.
[Post edited 25 Feb 20:56]
Frey on 21:09 - Feb 25 with 1359 viewsdutch

Personally I thought Frey was poor, seemed to be a yard or ten off nearly every ball played up, ran around pointlessly and barely won a headed challenge all game and mainly contributed by charging at their keeper, with no chance of affecting play. But then he nearly scored. He is the mirror image of Dykes, good at the things Dykes can't do, (score goals) rubbish at all he other stuff, link up play, flicks on etc.
Frey on 21:43 - Feb 25 with 1294 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 17:27 - Feb 25 by Antti_Heinola

I mean, we're all entitled to our opinion but your condescension towards a manager that has basically dragged one of the worst QPR teams in the last 40 years to having a shot at avoiding relegation is pretty breathtaking.
Field should be disappointed - he's a good professional.
Worth noting that we created more and arguably better chances to score in the first half than the second, too, with their keeper making 4 very decent saves.
His 'best' starting XI will change depending on what he wants and who we're facing, as it always has done.

Condescension...heh?
Worst QPR teams in 40 years...really?
Pretty breath-taking...heh?

We finally managed to get over the line in our maybe 5th must win game under Marti, made hard work of it and it's pretty breath-taking to question the Manager and how he's over-rotating what is now a very decent squad of players, c'mon, let's not be so sensitive.
Frey on 06:01 - Feb 26 with 1112 viewsswisscottage

If Dykes had had the game Frey had on Saturday he'd been getting pelters on here.

He won two headers and had one good attempt on target, but other than that he was constantly off the pace of the game and largely anonymous despite his effort.
Frey on 08:21 - Feb 26 with 1019 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Blimey, three pages of debating whether or not Frey is any good / should have been substituted / Marti is a tactical genius / Marti got it completely wrong etc etc and all off the back of an actual victory (probably a clue here). Definitely through the looking glass now people.
Frey on 09:58 - Feb 26 with 879 viewsgazza1

Frey started because MC is not confident in LD abilities (and who would be!!) or Armstrong. Whether Frey is good enough is another question but we have no options except to get him match fit and then see how he copes with the Championship matches.

Good call from MC to play him on Saturday against one of the poorer Teams in Rotherham. Not sure that he will play at Leicester, though.
Frey on 10:26 - Feb 26 with 821 viewsngbqpr

What Antti / Pedro / Silverfox said.

Marti inherited a complete clusterfck and has tweaked, juggled and experimented constantly both with starting line ups and in game changes to try to get this rabble of wildly inconsistent players to put some points on the board.

No manager is infallible, but for me he's got more than enough credit in the bank that I'm happy to trust him to pick teams based on what he sees during the week; and make in game switches based on his knowledge (both of coaching and where all the players are at mentally & physically) being way superior to mine.

The deadline day wizardry has actually given him options, and I don't blame him for the rotation now he finally has that 'luxury'.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Frey on 10:37 - Feb 26 with 793 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 09:58 - Feb 26 by gazza1

Frey started because MC is not confident in LD abilities (and who would be!!) or Armstrong. Whether Frey is good enough is another question but we have no options except to get him match fit and then see how he copes with the Championship matches.

Good call from MC to play him on Saturday against one of the poorer Teams in Rotherham. Not sure that he will play at Leicester, though.

Gazza, come on fella, yet again having a pop at Dykes, thought I'd put your earlier post regards Tony Thorpe's comments in context as to what Bristol City fans actually posted on their forum respectively about Thorpe and Dykes:

On Tony Thorpe
> As if this is'nt bad enough, Thorpe making this unbearable
> Did he tell everyone he should be leading our attack?
> No one has a higher opinion of Tony Thorpe than himself
> Has an issue with Dykes who to my knowledge has more goals than Thorpe at this level

On Lyndon Dykes:
> Thorpe has an issue with Dykes, so does Rob Dickie!
> I've never seen us lose so many headers in a game before, even Dickie
> I thought Dykes gave us trouble all afternoon personally
> Dykes was superb today, not only did he occupy Dickie & Vyner, he also stopped James & Williams from straying too far from him too, because we never won clean headers and players like Chair were able to claim the loose ball

The last comment is very insightful as obviously understands how many modern teams including ourselves are set up to play with a target man and in effect 3 mobile 10's playing off him.

With Willock now back to full fitness and Andersen showing his real head-up early ball quality, I am confident either Dykes or Frey will have much better service than they have this season so far and be amongst the goals in our run-in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024