Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frey 21:57 - Feb 24 with 12036 viewsbaz_qpr

Bit Marmite isn't he.

I thought he was excellent myself and a real threat in the box with excellent movement, pressed well and some decent hold up play. Reading through the board others thought he was toilet.
Frey on 11:03 - Feb 26 with 2573 viewsAntti_Heinola

Frey on 21:43 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Condescension...heh?
Worst QPR teams in 40 years...really?
Pretty breath-taking...heh?

We finally managed to get over the line in our maybe 5th must win game under Marti, made hard work of it and it's pretty breath-taking to question the Manager and how he's over-rotating what is now a very decent squad of players, c'mon, let's not be so sensitive.

If you don't think this team is one of the worst QPR teams of the last 40 years you haven't been watching long. This is a team struggling to avoid relegation to League One. Pretty much by definition that's one of the poorest teams of the last 40 years, before we even take into account we'd won 1 game at home in a year when we beat Stoke. So yeh, really.

I have no issue with anyone questioning Marti's decisions, of course I don't. I've been vocal against loads of managers. It's the stuff like 'stumbled on' and 'bizarre' for perfectly rational decisions that make it condescending.

We've lost 1 in 7. Some might suggest your criticisms of his rotation are misplaced.

Bare bones.

Frey on 11:18 - Feb 26 with 2531 viewsTheChef

Frey on 17:20 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Hodge whether he started or came on as Sub was a strange call, as had spent no time with the team, albeit he scored so that justifies that call.

We don't now how they trained this week but I do know Field was disappointed to be dropped and in a must win game I would start on the front foot with the team that finished last week's game so well.

After yesterday's poor 1st Half Marti may have inadvertently found his best starting XI will Willock in the middle of the 3, and with Chair + Andersen either side, I would be confident that attack could trouble most teams in this division.

I hope he now knows his best Starting XI and there's no more surprises versus WBA.

Contrary Mary over here

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Frey on 11:26 - Feb 26 with 2507 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 11:03 - Feb 26 by Antti_Heinola

If you don't think this team is one of the worst QPR teams of the last 40 years you haven't been watching long. This is a team struggling to avoid relegation to League One. Pretty much by definition that's one of the poorest teams of the last 40 years, before we even take into account we'd won 1 game at home in a year when we beat Stoke. So yeh, really.

I have no issue with anyone questioning Marti's decisions, of course I don't. I've been vocal against loads of managers. It's the stuff like 'stumbled on' and 'bizarre' for perfectly rational decisions that make it condescending.

We've lost 1 in 7. Some might suggest your criticisms of his rotation are misplaced.

Some of his decisions for me have been a bit illogical, maybe not quite bizarre.

Fixing our zonal marking problems when we were conceding so many soft goals to only go and take 2 of the 3 players out of the line-up that fixed the problem and revert back to conceding soft goals from corners again did'nt make sense to me.

There are quite a few others too (Millwall & Stoke aways) including as Swiss noted pushing Dunne up for goal-kicks on Saturday as per Bristol City Away but Hodge or Willock not dropping back into the space vacated as Andersen had done so effectively, a breakdown that could have seen us 0-2 down in a must win game.

I don't get putting players on to the field are who not match-fit or players who hav'nt even done a single training session with the squad. That's a bit bizarre in modern football but maybe needs must.

I believe with JCS & Willock fit, the additions of Hadyn & Hodge, this is a very decent squad and no where near one of the poorest squads in the last 40 years. This team should be winning points as they currently are and for me a settled starting XI is needed so we don't have the confusion we had in the 1st Half on Saturday.
Frey on 11:52 - Feb 26 with 2433 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Frey on 11:26 - Feb 26 by ParkRoyalR

Some of his decisions for me have been a bit illogical, maybe not quite bizarre.

Fixing our zonal marking problems when we were conceding so many soft goals to only go and take 2 of the 3 players out of the line-up that fixed the problem and revert back to conceding soft goals from corners again did'nt make sense to me.

There are quite a few others too (Millwall & Stoke aways) including as Swiss noted pushing Dunne up for goal-kicks on Saturday as per Bristol City Away but Hodge or Willock not dropping back into the space vacated as Andersen had done so effectively, a breakdown that could have seen us 0-2 down in a must win game.

I don't get putting players on to the field are who not match-fit or players who hav'nt even done a single training session with the squad. That's a bit bizarre in modern football but maybe needs must.

I believe with JCS & Willock fit, the additions of Hadyn & Hodge, this is a very decent squad and no where near one of the poorest squads in the last 40 years. This team should be winning points as they currently are and for me a settled starting XI is needed so we don't have the confusion we had in the 1st Half on Saturday.

I didn't see any confusion on Saturday. I saw a team that made a poor start (yet again), and then panic a little, but then took control. Once Rotherham scored everyone knew what was going to happen, sit deep, 10 or 11 behind the ball and try and hit on the break.

The fact Marti saw the problem and fixed it and got the win due to the changes he made, suggest he might know a little bit more about the game than you, or anyone else on here.

I love the fact we have a manager who can do that. When we equalised and got the winner only one of the January signings was on the pitch, which says a lot about the confidence and organisation Marti has instilled in this team.
Frey on 11:55 - Feb 26 with 2417 viewsNW5Hoop

It was not a good game, and we were dreadful for large parts of the first half. But I thought Frey was pretty good. Obviously, he's no Les Ferdinand, but he worked hard defensively, he had a very adept touch at times – there were a couple of times where he created space for himself to play midfielders in behind the defence, in circumstances you wouldn't have backed him to. Honestly, he looks a lot better than Dykes to me.
Frey on 12:21 - Feb 26 with 2354 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 11:52 - Feb 26 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I didn't see any confusion on Saturday. I saw a team that made a poor start (yet again), and then panic a little, but then took control. Once Rotherham scored everyone knew what was going to happen, sit deep, 10 or 11 behind the ball and try and hit on the break.

The fact Marti saw the problem and fixed it and got the win due to the changes he made, suggest he might know a little bit more about the game than you, or anyone else on here.

I love the fact we have a manager who can do that. When we equalised and got the winner only one of the January signings was on the pitch, which says a lot about the confidence and organisation Marti has instilled in this team.

Fair points but I've seen these slow / chaotic starts a few too many times and we've then struggled to create against teams who then sit deep with 9 men behind the ball.

Two ways of looking at Saturday's turnaround, or maybe a combination of both, 1) being Marti changed the game by moving Willock more central and bringing Smyth on, other being 2) Willock individually got us out of a hole of our own making.

I was initially thinking 2) both maybe a combination of both is a fairer reflection and just hoping now we don't turn in anymore starts like Saturday or performances like Stoke away.
Frey on 12:49 - Feb 26 with 2285 viewsWegerles_Stairs

As stated in Clive's match report, a lot of our poor start was caused by the pissballing around at the back because Begovic is incapable of playing it out. They were pressing and Begovic didn't have a clue what to do with the ball at his feet, so we'd conceded a throw-in on that side just before the goal.

Thought Frey was decent enough. He's obviously not Mbappe but he had that header on target in the first half and put an awful lot of effort in right up until he was subbed. Played a couple of nice balls through in the second half too.
[Post edited 26 Feb 12:50]
Frey on 12:55 - Feb 26 with 2253 viewsgazza1

Frey on 10:37 - Feb 26 by ParkRoyalR

Gazza, come on fella, yet again having a pop at Dykes, thought I'd put your earlier post regards Tony Thorpe's comments in context as to what Bristol City fans actually posted on their forum respectively about Thorpe and Dykes:

On Tony Thorpe
> As if this is'nt bad enough, Thorpe making this unbearable
> Did he tell everyone he should be leading our attack?
> No one has a higher opinion of Tony Thorpe than himself
> Has an issue with Dykes who to my knowledge has more goals than Thorpe at this level

On Lyndon Dykes:
> Thorpe has an issue with Dykes, so does Rob Dickie!
> I've never seen us lose so many headers in a game before, even Dickie
> I thought Dykes gave us trouble all afternoon personally
> Dykes was superb today, not only did he occupy Dickie & Vyner, he also stopped James & Williams from straying too far from him too, because we never won clean headers and players like Chair were able to claim the loose ball

The last comment is very insightful as obviously understands how many modern teams including ourselves are set up to play with a target man and in effect 3 mobile 10's playing off him.

With Willock now back to full fitness and Andersen showing his real head-up early ball quality, I am confident either Dykes or Frey will have much better service than they have this season so far and be amongst the goals in our run-in.

I have the same opinion about LD as TT has mate....sorry but I seen next to nothing from LD since he has been here. I presume that MC has similar views too. Against Bristol, he did OK, nothing great but OK - he was part of the team that played very well against Bristol and deserved to win more easily.

I predict that he will be 'gone' next season if we can sell him, I am sure we tried previously but had no reasonable & acceptable offers......MC would not have signed Frey if he thought that LD or Armstrong could lead the line effectively.
Login to get fewer ads

Frey on 13:01 - Feb 26 with 2247 viewsNed_Kennedys

Frey on 12:49 - Feb 26 by Wegerles_Stairs

As stated in Clive's match report, a lot of our poor start was caused by the pissballing around at the back because Begovic is incapable of playing it out. They were pressing and Begovic didn't have a clue what to do with the ball at his feet, so we'd conceded a throw-in on that side just before the goal.

Thought Frey was decent enough. He's obviously not Mbappe but he had that header on target in the first half and put an awful lot of effort in right up until he was subbed. Played a couple of nice balls through in the second half too.

Blaming Begovic for the poor start? I know some people absolutely hate him but that’s laughable.
Frey on 13:15 - Feb 26 with 2203 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 13:01 - Feb 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Blaming Begovic for the poor start? I know some people absolutely hate him but that’s laughable.

Begovic made a decent save at 0-1 where Cook failed to make any effort to close his man down who had a very good shooting opportunity from the centre of the box and really should have found one of the corners,

Problem seemed to be mis-communication as only JCS or Cook were available to take the ball with no easy pass option on.
Frey on 13:17 - Feb 26 with 2174 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Frey on 13:01 - Feb 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Only 12 games left with him thankfully.
Frey on 13:20 - Feb 26 with 2163 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Frey on 13:15 - Feb 26 by ParkRoyalR

Begovic made a decent save at 0-1 where Cook failed to make any effort to close his man down who had a very good shooting opportunity from the centre of the box and really should have found one of the corners,

Problem seemed to be mis-communication as only JCS or Cook were available to take the ball with no easy pass option on.

An easy save which he punched straight back to them.
Frey on 14:04 - Feb 26 with 2075 viewsDeanoMD

Blimey there's some right negativity on here....jeez.

Back to back wins, out of the bottom 3, players returning to form, played some nice stuff at times and some of the usual silly mistakes but a lot more to be positive about these days.

On Frey, he hasn't played football for months but he's come in and worked his socks off, he's a hand full and gives us something different to what we have, I like him and I'm happy he's here. I think of him as a more mobile and better Chris Martin, seems to have a decent football brain on him which we definitely need up top.
Frey on 16:48 - Feb 26 with 1907 viewsNed_Kennedys

Frey on 11:03 - Feb 26 by Antti_Heinola

We certainly haven’t had one of the worst teams in 40 years since the transfer window: we now have a decent Championship squad with cover in most positions.
Frey on 12:27 - Feb 27 with 1623 viewsfrancisbowles

Frey on 14:04 - Feb 26 by DeanoMD

Blimey there's some right negativity on here....jeez.

Back to back wins, out of the bottom 3, players returning to form, played some nice stuff at times and some of the usual silly mistakes but a lot more to be positive about these days.

On Frey, he hasn't played football for months but he's come in and worked his socks off, he's a hand full and gives us something different to what we have, I like him and I'm happy he's here. I think of him as a more mobile and better Chris Martin, seems to have a decent football brain on him which we definitely need up top.

and cheaper, I think.
Frey on 13:45 - Feb 27 with 1488 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Frey on 15:29 - Feb 25 by sprocket

It's early days but Frey is sloooow however his first touch is pretty good and as been spoken on here his anticipation is best of our striker bunch so overall I think a good addition.

I suspect his worth will come if we can give him good service, and he gets fitter. I thought he put a right shift in on Saturday, and MC was right to play him against the team at the bottom to get some minutes into his legs. I'm sure he'll change him out for LCFC.

Give Michi the ingredients, and we'll have a right good Frey up!

I'll get my anorak.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Frey on 19:56 - Feb 27 with 1361 viewsBurnleyhoop

Frey on 12:55 - Feb 26 by gazza1

I have the same opinion about LD as TT has mate....sorry but I seen next to nothing from LD since he has been here. I presume that MC has similar views too. Against Bristol, he did OK, nothing great but OK - he was part of the team that played very well against Bristol and deserved to win more easily.

I predict that he will be 'gone' next season if we can sell him, I am sure we tried previously but had no reasonable & acceptable offers......MC would not have signed Frey if he thought that LD or Armstrong could lead the line effectively.

Exactly as I see it. Dykes is not and never will be the answer to our striker problem. Likely to go in the summer if anyone is prepared to pay for him.

Frey has potential, but needs a run in the side to show what he can offer. Jury still out until the end of the season.
Frey on 20:15 - Feb 27 with 1303 viewsWatford_Ranger

Frey on 12:49 - Feb 26 by Wegerles_Stairs

Surely that’s on the manager mostly though. Cifuentes probably wouldn’t have brought Begovic in had he had the choice but if you have a keeper who isn’t great with the ball at his feet and you’re instructing him to play out pretty much all the time then you have to shoulder the blame when it goes tits up.
Frey on 21:13 - Feb 27 with 1170 viewsSpaceman_P

I genuinely think if Rotherham get relegated we should try and go in for their keeper.
Frey on 22:29 - Feb 27 with 1053 viewsOldPedro

Frey on 21:13 - Feb 27 by Spaceman_P

I genuinely think if Rotherham get relegated we should try and go in for their keeper.

I don't think we will be able to afford him - he will still have a year left on his contract at the end of this season and can see him having lots of offers

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Frey on 07:06 - Feb 28 with 920 viewsQPROslo

But Johansen was at fault for both our goals; even though he made some good saves 1st half. Bergovic would have been hammered on here if he'd let them in, he gets abuse for any error leading to a goal or not.
Frey on 09:18 - Feb 28 with 823 viewsfrancisbowles

How many times did you see him start a play out from the back?

He wouldn't suit Marti's way of playing.
Frey on 09:25 - Feb 28 with 804 viewsEsox_Lucius

He spent the pre match warm up almost exclusively having balls rolled to him to allow him to kick them as far as could upfield, often near to the penalty area. During the game his footwork was generally poor and for this reason I don't think he would fit into the plan. He did make some spectacular saves but, so does Asmir and he seems to generally disliked on here.

The grass is always greener.

Frey on 09:30 - Feb 28 with 788 viewsTheChef

Frey on 09:25 - Feb 28 by Esox_Lucius

He spent the pre match warm up almost exclusively having balls rolled to him to allow him to kick them as far as could upfield, often near to the penalty area. During the game his footwork was generally poor and for this reason I don't think he would fit into the plan. He did make some spectacular saves but, so does Asmir and he seems to generally disliked on here.

What about our other keepers, are they still works in progress? What's their distribution like with the ball at their feet?

I suppose if they were any good they'd be starting (but maybe only if we were mid-table and safe from relegation).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Frey on 10:21 - Feb 28 with 720 viewshubble

Frey on 09:30 - Feb 28 by TheChef

What about our other keepers, are they still works in progress? What's their distribution like with the ball at their feet?

I suppose if they were any good they'd be starting (but maybe only if we were mid-table and safe from relegation).

Acrrington Stanley gave Joe Walsh a glowing report after his 7 (?) game loan spell there at the end of last year. Don't know much else about him, but could he step up?

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024