Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frey 21:57 - Feb 24 with 12060 viewsbaz_qpr

Bit Marmite isn't he.

I thought he was excellent myself and a real threat in the box with excellent movement, pressed well and some decent hold up play. Reading through the board others thought he was toilet.
Frey on 09:04 - Feb 25 with 1752 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Odd that after only 2 or 3 games some seem to be writing him off.
Had one chance yesterday, and it was on target and produced an excellent save. How many times have we seen balls into the box and no striker near them.

His positioning yesterday, I thought, was excellent in the box. If it was a choice between Frey, Dykes or Armstrong finishing a chance I'll take Frey any day.
Frey on 09:38 - Feb 25 with 1658 viewsRangersw12

Frey on 00:14 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Dykes won more in last 10 than Fret did in first 80 minutes, but for Chris Willock Marti yet again nearly threw away a must win game against poor opposition with a bizarre starting XI selection.

Frey on 10:12 - Feb 25 with 1579 viewsJimmyR

I thought he did pretty well, wonder if we can get him and Armstrong on the pitch together. Sincs often looks a bit isolated/devoid of options, probs because he can run much faster that most CBs
Frey on 10:12 - Feb 25 with 1576 viewsWatford_Ranger

Not writing the guy off at all and think he has a role to play for sure but he wouldn’t be my first choice to start. Impressed with his effort and it’s encouraging he lasted as long as he did but my preference would still be to start Armstrong. Bet Morrison was happier to see Frey on the team sheet. Maybe Armstrong for Leicester and one of the other two for West Brom.
Frey on 10:14 - Feb 25 with 1569 viewsJimmyR

Frey on 09:04 - Feb 25 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Odd that after only 2 or 3 games some seem to be writing him off.
Had one chance yesterday, and it was on target and produced an excellent save. How many times have we seen balls into the box and no striker near them.

His positioning yesterday, I thought, was excellent in the box. If it was a choice between Frey, Dykes or Armstrong finishing a chance I'll take Frey any day.

Yeah agreed, looks a lot more confident upon receiving the ball anywhere near the box. I’d expect him to get it on target more that any other option we currently have
Frey on 10:17 - Feb 25 with 1542 viewsWatford_Ranger

Frey on 10:14 - Feb 25 by JimmyR

Yeah agreed, looks a lot more confident upon receiving the ball anywhere near the box. I’d expect him to get it on target more that any other option we currently have

You’d certainly back him to score more if given the same chances as the others.
Frey on 10:38 - Feb 25 with 1483 viewsRsinWales

Let's give the guy a chance. He is still, in essence, completing his pre-season training and getting to match fitness.
Frey on 11:30 - Feb 25 with 1356 viewsAntti_Heinola

Frey on 00:14 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Dykes won more in last 10 than Fret did in first 80 minutes, but for Chris Willock Marti yet again nearly threw away a must win game against poor opposition with a bizarre starting XI selection.

Don't think it was bizarre. Seemed pretty sensible to me.
[Post edited 25 Feb 11:34]

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Frey on 11:45 - Feb 25 with 1321 viewsR_from_afar

At least, finally, there is competition for the striking berths. That *should* help with levels of motivation and effort. I don't mean to criticise anyone when I say that.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Frey (n/t) on 11:47 - Feb 25 with 1300 viewsR_from_afar

[Post edited 25 Feb 11:52]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Frey (n/t) on 11:49 - Feb 25 with 1292 viewsR_from_afar

[Post edited 25 Feb 11:53]

Frey on 11:50 - Feb 25 with 1287 viewsSpaceman_P

I reckon this is a generational thing.

Frey to some of us who remember the 90s, seems like a 90's style striker.

the younger guys, want Armstrong. I think it's about the type of football we grew up with.

One thing is for sure as an aside. Dykes annoys me with his Tattoo's, I just think it looks stupid.
Frey on 12:03 - Feb 25 with 1259 viewslassel

I like him - you can see that he has played at a higher level and he is always on the move. The elephant in the room of course is that he is slooooooooooooooow, which I thought played into their hands yesterday.

Sean Morrison couldn’t run 10 years ago….putting him up against a physical Center forward who moves like the Exxon Valdez is his wet dream.
Frey on 12:05 - Feb 25 with 1253 viewsNorthernr

Frey on 12:03 - Feb 25 by lassel

I like him - you can see that he has played at a higher level and he is always on the move. The elephant in the room of course is that he is slooooooooooooooow, which I thought played into their hands yesterday.

Sean Morrison couldn’t run 10 years ago….putting him up against a physical Center forward who moves like the Exxon Valdez is his wet dream.

We were having this discussion about why he didn't put Armstrong on to run at Morrison, who like you say was slow as rust. The conclusion we drew is they were so deep there was virtually no space whatsoever to run into behind him, which is basically Armstrong's plan A, B and C.
Frey on 12:09 - Feb 25 with 1249 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 11:30 - Feb 25 by Antti_Heinola

Don't think it was bizarre. Seemed pretty sensible to me.
[Post edited 25 Feb 11:34]

Marti went from arguably his best half of football, made 3 big calls in benching Field, Andersen + Dykes and turned in arguably his worst half of football, that's not pretty sensible in a must win game.

This forums much maligned Chris Willock arguably saved our season yesterday and you think, right Marti, fresh legs now, and yet he leaves a clearly tired Frey on for another 10 minutes?

Modern coaches talk about systems, tactics, match fitness, early substitutions to protect players from injury and we've had Kolli defending the 6 yard box, Hodge starting 24 hours after joining, Frey going from a clearly unfit 15 minute cameo to starting + playing 80minutes odd in a must not lose game?! That's all fairly bizarre imo.
Frey on 12:14 - Feb 25 with 1237 viewsNorthernr

Frey on 12:09 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Marti went from arguably his best half of football, made 3 big calls in benching Field, Andersen + Dykes and turned in arguably his worst half of football, that's not pretty sensible in a must win game.

This forums much maligned Chris Willock arguably saved our season yesterday and you think, right Marti, fresh legs now, and yet he leaves a clearly tired Frey on for another 10 minutes?

Modern coaches talk about systems, tactics, match fitness, early substitutions to protect players from injury and we've had Kolli defending the 6 yard box, Hodge starting 24 hours after joining, Frey going from a clearly unfit 15 minute cameo to starting + playing 80minutes odd in a must not lose game?! That's all fairly bizarre imo.

Well, like you, I thought he was slow with the changes yesterday, and Willock's brilliant goal got him out of a bit of a hole but...

Pro-active at half time when it clearly wasn't working, made two switches.

And the idea of keeping Frey on, whether he was knackered or not (he was, like you say), I think had a lot to do with the height Rotherham had which they could put in our box for set pieces. They've scored 30 goals this year and a third of those are from dead balls. You don't need to be particularly fresh legged to get back in our box for oppo corners, and Cifuentes seemed very determined to keep him on for as long as possible to do that job IMO. Then went for Dykes instead of him, rather than Armstrong, even though the Rotherham defenders were slow, possibly for the same reason.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Frey on 12:20 - Feb 25 with 1212 viewsWatford_Ranger

Andersen and Field were ill during the week apparently. Reckon Andersen at least would’ve started if not.
Frey on 13:15 - Feb 25 with 1135 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 12:14 - Feb 25 by Northernr

Well, like you, I thought he was slow with the changes yesterday, and Willock's brilliant goal got him out of a bit of a hole but...

Pro-active at half time when it clearly wasn't working, made two switches.

And the idea of keeping Frey on, whether he was knackered or not (he was, like you say), I think had a lot to do with the height Rotherham had which they could put in our box for set pieces. They've scored 30 goals this year and a third of those are from dead balls. You don't need to be particularly fresh legged to get back in our box for oppo corners, and Cifuentes seemed very determined to keep him on for as long as possible to do that job IMO. Then went for Dykes instead of him, rather than Armstrong, even though the Rotherham defenders were slow, possibly for the same reason.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Agree with your points but leaving Frey on too long risked their defenders stepping up + overloading our midfield and putting dangerous balls into our box, Dykes was obvious like for like change and should have been done much earlier,

Field I hear was disappointed to be dropped and really proved a point when he came on,

We've all seen enough Championship football to know you have to win the early battles and assert yourself in the game before you can start playing and yesterday it looked more likely we would go 2 nil down than equalise for too long in that game.
Frey on 13:22 - Feb 25 with 1118 viewsbaz_qpr

I'd have picked Frey for this game, we knew Rotherham (who were the biggest team we've come up against) would defend deep and would would be hard to score against just lumping balls in the box. Frey has the best movement in the box and it nearly came off first half with the header the keeper saved and Hodge had to score. At halftime I thought he had to hook both Hodge and Hayden who were both poor and booked. I would have gone for Field and Armstrong (to play wide left as their 40 right wing back was taking Paal to pieces) and put Chair central, but he achieved the same thing putting Smyth on as their 40 ended up switching sides to deal with him.

Personally I thought Marti won us the game in the end
Frey on 13:30 - Feb 25 with 1090 viewsgazza1

I would suggest that Frey was started yesterday because he thinks the Frey is a better option for the Team to win the match and it was an opportunity to see him start the game to see/watch him and also to get his fitness up the required levels. Not a problem imho.

As far as MC was slow with subs....he replaced two at HT because, I think, they were both on yellow cards and that he had very good options on the bench in Field and also gave us an option with Smyth a natural wide player and also has pace. Good decisions from MC and not too slow. I also think after a pretty poor 20 minutes at the start of the match we were creating opportunities very well so the game had changed from the first 20 minutes.

Well played MC and his team.
Frey on 13:36 - Feb 25 with 1081 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Frey on 13:15 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

Agree with your points but leaving Frey on too long risked their defenders stepping up + overloading our midfield and putting dangerous balls into our box, Dykes was obvious like for like change and should have been done much earlier,

Field I hear was disappointed to be dropped and really proved a point when he came on,

We've all seen enough Championship football to know you have to win the early battles and assert yourself in the game before you can start playing and yesterday it looked more likely we would go 2 nil down than equalise for too long in that game.

I doubt Rotherham centre backs have the ability to step up and overloading the midfield.
Think Marti got it pretty much spot on, and the result stands testament to that.
Frey on 13:38 - Feb 25 with 1073 viewsParkRoyalR

Frey on 13:30 - Feb 25 by gazza1

I would suggest that Frey was started yesterday because he thinks the Frey is a better option for the Team to win the match and it was an opportunity to see him start the game to see/watch him and also to get his fitness up the required levels. Not a problem imho.

As far as MC was slow with subs....he replaced two at HT because, I think, they were both on yellow cards and that he had very good options on the bench in Field and also gave us an option with Smyth a natural wide player and also has pace. Good decisions from MC and not too slow. I also think after a pretty poor 20 minutes at the start of the match we were creating opportunities very well so the game had changed from the first 20 minutes.

Well played MC and his team.

I would respectfully suggest you do not use a must win relegation game to get a new player up to fitness.

We were so disjointed and poor for first half hour it looked like what it was, some of these players have had minimal game time together.

I really think we got away with one yesterday and don't understand why Marti took those unnecessary risks.
Frey on 14:19 - Feb 25 with 993 viewsgazza1

Frey on 13:38 - Feb 25 by ParkRoyalR

I would respectfully suggest you do not use a must win relegation game to get a new player up to fitness.

We were so disjointed and poor for first half hour it looked like what it was, some of these players have had minimal game time together.

I really think we got away with one yesterday and don't understand why Marti took those unnecessary risks.

We will be in a relegation battle for some time yet so when do you play Frey to get him match fit - next season!!!!! OK to wait if we got decent strikers who score goals but sadly we have not got one of those!!!!!

We had a poor start but then we were creating chances but not scoring due to good defending.....my thoughts were that because we were creating chances, and good ones, I was confident that we would get a result and we did not 'get away with one'.
Frey on 14:21 - Feb 25 with 991 viewsNorthernr

Frey on 14:19 - Feb 25 by gazza1

We will be in a relegation battle for some time yet so when do you play Frey to get him match fit - next season!!!!! OK to wait if we got decent strikers who score goals but sadly we have not got one of those!!!!!

We had a poor start but then we were creating chances but not scoring due to good defending.....my thoughts were that because we were creating chances, and good ones, I was confident that we would get a result and we did not 'get away with one'.

TBF to Gaz I'll vouch that he said at half time he thought we'd be fine when I was having doubts, so he's not saying that in hindsight.
Frey on 14:31 - Feb 25 with 948 viewsGloucs_R

I quite like him. Definitely has a bit of polter about him.... Who was unfairly criticized at the time in my opinion.

He will score goals providing we put the ball in the box. One of our problems is that we want to pass the ball into the net every time and it takes such a long time to get a cross in, allowing for their defence to set up.

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024