Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frey 04:29 - Mar 7 with 5867 viewskarlski

Really feel for him. Bad contact on the penalty which is unforgivable. Could have been a heroic moment in front of the Loft, and you felt if we’d scored then we would have gone on to win (we should have won ten times over - what a game!). Personally thought (hoped) Anderson or Chair would take it.

But much to like otherwise, in my book. He is so single minded about getting in the box and into threatening positions. It’s his reaction from 30 yards away that creates the first goal. Many times I saw him get across his man even when the ball didn’t arrive. And relentless energy closing down and hustling, all game long. Fitness clearly improving which doesn’t happen by accident.

I think he will make a few key contributions in the run in. Hope is confidence isn’t shook. We need him, Dykes, and Armstrong to all chip in.
Frey on 13:26 - Mar 7 with 1979 viewsBluce_Ree

Frey on 13:17 - Mar 7 by stainrods_elbow

Do you play football? If a penalty is struck hard and low into the corner pocket, it's virtually unsaveable. Frey's pen was low, but not hard, and too close to the keeper, so he made it far too easy on at least two counts.

Nope, I don't.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Frey on 13:28 - Mar 7 with 1968 viewsNortholt_Rs

Frey on 08:33 - Mar 7 by gazza1

Done OK last night, shuts players down very well indeed - he actually makes it difficult for the opposition.

Got to score the penalty, no questions.....probably cost us 3 points.

Cost us 2 points. We got 1 point for the draw.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Frey on 14:21 - Mar 7 with 1845 viewsderbyhoop

Frey on 09:06 - Mar 7 by Bluce_Ree

Two things about penalties. Don't f**k about and don't put it low.

If you put a penalty low, the keeper has a 50/50 chance of getting it. It's the shit that England players often do. It's a coward's penalty.

If I'm Marti, I do a session on penalties and whatever guy fking blats it into the top corner, he's my guy. The old Zona Del Piero. Basically unsaveable.

Amen to that. If you try to pass it in and the keeper goes the right way he has chance of stopping it.
I seem to remember Graham Alexander (RB for Burnley?) who smashed every penalty he took. At 1 time he'd scored 34/35.

He is now the manager at Bradford City, having replaced Mark Hughes.
[Post edited 7 Mar 14:36]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Frey on 14:58 - Mar 7 with 1780 viewsstrikerace

For me he is just a functioning striker, no more no less. I'd have him behind Dykes (which is something I never thought I'd say), let him play the mid-week matches as part of the rotation. Sinclair gives us something different, and Marti is using him where his pace and strength make sense. What we really need is to combine all three, then we would have something upfront. Right now however, for me I'm playing Dykes or Sinclair (or both depending) and using Frey to spell.
Frey on 15:10 - Mar 7 with 1729 viewsNorthantsHoop

Penalty aside thought he had a good game last night, a real fighter and getting fitter. For all the penalty miss don't forget that lovely conversion to square the Norwich game last month.
Frey on 15:11 - Mar 7 with 1706 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Frey on 08:58 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I actually think the ref called it for high feet, then saw the flag and thought "ya, let's call it offside instead".

Yep, that's how I saw it. The foot wasn't high and the defender stooping very low so the ref belatedly took the opportunity to switch to an offside decision.
Frey on 15:15 - Mar 7 with 1694 viewsWestonsuperR

Do you play football? If a penalty is struck hard and low into the corner pocket, it's virtually unsaveable. Frey's pen was low, but not hard, and too close to the keeper, so he made it far too easy on at least two counts.

Was about to say the same, the general teaching of a pen is hard and low into the corner, get it roughly right and very unlikely not to score. Hitting a pen higher is risking ‘keepers height’ unless you have the ability to hit it top corner very regularly.
Frey on 15:18 - Mar 7 with 1673 viewsTheChef

Frey on 14:58 - Mar 7 by strikerace

For me he is just a functioning striker, no more no less. I'd have him behind Dykes (which is something I never thought I'd say), let him play the mid-week matches as part of the rotation. Sinclair gives us something different, and Marti is using him where his pace and strength make sense. What we really need is to combine all three, then we would have something upfront. Right now however, for me I'm playing Dykes or Sinclair (or both depending) and using Frey to spell.

Funny how people view players but watching him for the first time I thought Frey did far more as a lone striker than Dykes has done.

And I like Dykes but I think playing as a lone striker is not his strongest suit.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Frey on 15:25 - Mar 7 with 1606 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Frey on 14:21 - Mar 7 by derbyhoop

Amen to that. If you try to pass it in and the keeper goes the right way he has chance of stopping it.
I seem to remember Graham Alexander (RB for Burnley?) who smashed every penalty he took. At 1 time he'd scored 34/35.

He is now the manager at Bradford City, having replaced Mark Hughes.
[Post edited 7 Mar 14:36]

If executed well passing the ball into the inner side netting is difficult to save. Toney is pretty decent, as was Danny Murphy. Clive Wilson, an excellent passer of the ball, never missed a penalty for QPR.

Frey did successfully take penalties for previous clubs. Unfortunately, yesterday he appeared to rush and then change his mind, resulting in a poor strike. It would've been interesting to see who would've stepped forward had Kipre's handball been spotted.

It's little comfort, I know, but Thierry Henry, Erling Haaland, and Mohamed Salah have all missed penalties. That's life!
Frey on 17:22 - Mar 7 with 1476 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stats taken from every World Cup or Euros shoot out in history.

Percentage of shots scored per area of gaol aimed for.

Perecentage of shots scored when on target.

Conclusion: Very marginally safer to wrap your foot and go low to the bottom corner, but if you have the courage and skill to go for the top third of the goal, it's by far the best option.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Frey on 18:14 - Mar 7 with 1359 viewsBklynRanger

Unacceptable use of actual facts. Move to strike.
Frey on 18:26 - Mar 7 with 1329 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Frey on 18:14 - Mar 7 by BklynRanger

Unacceptable use of actual facts. Move to strike.

I resign!!!

It actually backs up both sides of the debate, though:;:;:; bottom corner is a good place to put it:;:; top corners far better if you have the skill and courage.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Frey on 18:37 - Mar 7 with 1284 viewsFDC

Frey on 17:22 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Conclusion: Very marginally safer to wrap your foot and go low to the bottom corner, but if you have the courage and skill to go for the top third of the goal, it's by far the best option.

Interesting Brian, where's this from? I can't work out what the difference between the two rows for scoring percentage and for when on target are, and why some areas are larger than others? Also is this showing that right footers are much successful than left footers when shooting at the centre of the goal?

Edit. Wait I've found it.

https://www.thestatszone.com/archive/statistical-insight-into-penalty-shootouts-
[Post edited 7 Mar 18:39]
Frey on 18:40 - Mar 7 with 1279 viewsBklynRanger

Frey on 18:26 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I resign!!!

It actually backs up both sides of the debate, though:;:;:; bottom corner is a good place to put it:;:; top corners far better if you have the skill and courage.

I get that mate, I'm just not a fan of this.... 'approach'...
Where's the blow-hardery!?

I was convinced Frey would smash it and was more worried about it sailing over. Might have been better off who knows. Like him a lot though, think he fits us well.
Frey on 19:02 - Mar 7 with 1227 viewsLazyFan

He tried to guide it, slipped and mishit it. Hence it was saved easy.

I worked out the best way to take a Pen (but I am too old and fat actually to execute it now).

What you do is instead of going at an angle or hitting it to curl it or bend it, simply do this ...

Place yourself diagonally to the ball but in a straight line to just inside the post (either post, depending on your preferred foot) and just hit it straight and hard and top bins. As you hit it straight (meaning there is no need to curl it), there is less risk of skying it or going wide. There's no need to do twisty runs; just run onto it and smack it straight. This makes the shot much much much easier to hit the top bins where the keeper is furthest from and also, it is hit very hard with pace.

Now, the keeper has to make a commitment. If the keeper just stands in the middle, they won't save it as they cannot get there in time. Or instead, they have to edge towards the suspected corner you are just hitting it straight onto. If they edge too far, you can take the risk of bending it into the other side, which does not have to be fast or in the corner as the keeper has over-committed themselves.

No need to do all these silly pens, with dragged foot and down the middle chips or clever feints. Just hit it totally straight and hard. And also the pen looks like its really awesome as you put it right in the top bins, but all you did was hit it straight!

zzzzzzzzzz

Frey on 19:05 - Mar 7 with 1221 viewsPunteR

Frey on 08:58 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I actually think the ref called it for high feet, then saw the flag and thought "ya, let's call it offside instead".

100%

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Frey on 09:44 - Mar 8 with 975 viewsTheChef

Frey on 19:02 - Mar 7 by LazyFan

I worked out the best way to take a Pen (but I am too old and fat actually to execute it now).

What you do is instead of going at an angle or hitting it to curl it or bend it, simply do this ...

Place yourself diagonally to the ball but in a straight line to just inside the post (either post, depending on your preferred foot) and just hit it straight and hard and top bins. As you hit it straight (meaning there is no need to curl it), there is less risk of skying it or going wide. There's no need to do twisty runs; just run onto it and smack it straight. This makes the shot much much much easier to hit the top bins where the keeper is furthest from and also, it is hit very hard with pace.

Now, the keeper has to make a commitment. If the keeper just stands in the middle, they won't save it as they cannot get there in time. Or instead, they have to edge towards the suspected corner you are just hitting it straight onto. If they edge too far, you can take the risk of bending it into the other side, which does not have to be fast or in the corner as the keeper has over-committed themselves.

No need to do all these silly pens, with dragged foot and down the middle chips or clever feints. Just hit it totally straight and hard. And also the pen looks like its really awesome as you put it right in the top bins, but all you did was hit it straight!

Ah yes, the Kevin Pressman approach.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Frey on 15:05 - Mar 8 with 829 viewsqprninja

Frey on 07:01 - Mar 7 by Metallica_Hoop

A couple of the Baggies fans on the link someone posted liked the look of him.
I thought he'd tire but no; boom, running right up to the death (though we looked heavy for the last 5) a real handful and always looking to get in the right spot.

As soon as I saw the stutter on the penalty I thought he'd miss it. Did well overall though, I thought; getting better and better.

Best penalty taker I ever saw was Wegerle, no messing about, he'd just walk away from the ball, turn and pass it RIGHT into the corner. Keepers never stood a chance.
Frey on 15:39 - Mar 8 with 757 viewsPhilmyRs

Frey on 17:22 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Interesting but what about those penalty takers - Toney for example - that watch the keeper and wait for them to move before choosing their spot. Rather than hitting top corner as the best, I still think the players that can wait for the keeper to move then change to either corner at last second are the best but such a hard skill to do so understand the old pick a spot and don’t change your mind technique.

Frey just looked nervous to me and totally rushed it. Understand the routine, don’t change it and focus.
Frey on 15:52 - Mar 8 with 721 viewskensalriser

Frey on 19:02 - Mar 7 by LazyFan

Am I missing something here? If you position yourself diagonally to the ball you're indicating the direction of the shot.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Frey on 15:58 - Mar 8 with 713 viewsNorthLondonR

Players have missed penalties here for a looooong time. Not since Clive Wilson or Heidur have we had a consistent dispatcher from 12 yards...

The use of the word 'pocket' is yet another 'Americanism' which has crept into our lingua franca... alongside asking a question with either 'right' or 'no', both of which are not answers, nor questions.

That is all, however, his performance was very decent, right? And Field operating in the pocket was a revelation, no? Maybe I'll just go and watch another season of the latest show/ movie, whilst vaping and glugging an electrolyte packed coconut water, in my Veja sneakers?)
[Post edited 8 Mar 16:00]
Frey on 12:12 - Mar 10 with 527 viewsfrancisbowles

Frey on 15:05 - Mar 8 by qprninja

Best penalty taker I ever saw was Wegerle, no messing about, he'd just walk away from the ball, turn and pass it RIGHT into the corner. Keepers never stood a chance.

So what happened at Southampton, the week after the 4-1 Manchester massacre?
Frey on 12:55 - Mar 10 with 464 viewsloftboy

Frey on 12:12 - Mar 10 by francisbowles

So what happened at Southampton, the week after the 4-1 Manchester massacre?

A day Sheffield United away , we lost 1-0 amd Wegerle put one wide, my mate had him at 66/1 to be top scorer that season and he missed it by 1

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024