Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our physio/medical team 07:06 - Apr 4 with 2649 viewssevenhoop

Apologies if mentioned on here before, but we should give huge credit to them (clearly backed by a manager who’s listened to their advice in terms of resting players) for keeping virtually our whole squad fit, at a time of year when almost all teams in whatever division are crippled by injuries. This has been massive in our push for survival
Our physio/medical team on 07:19 - Apr 4 with 2610 viewsNorthernr

It's been absolutely crucial because we've got very little quality in depth.

We've got several key players for whom availability has been a problem in the past and we've no real cover for them this season (JCS, Willock).

Players who we just haven't been able to get fit before have done big stretches of games. In fact if Clarke-Salter plays twice more it's the first time he's ever done 30+ games in a season in his entire career.

At the start of the season when we were clearly under-done and unfit and the Williams guy was talking about "slow burn" and building up resilience I was very sceptical. I'd never heard of a team being sent into a season deliberately under cooked before, and couldn't see how that wouldn't lead to more injuries. But he's been proven right, and like you say absolutely crucial. Certainly a lot more effective than Olly making them run up a concrete hill in the Portuguese sun.

I would caveat this all slightly by maintaining that I don't believe many of the 'injuries' people sat out with last season were genuine, and it's no surprise that now the team's playing well and they've got a manager they like and who knows what he's doing miraculously everybody is fit. But, yeh, overall, terrific job.
Our physio/medical team on 07:24 - Apr 4 with 2581 viewsdmm

Quite right. I can't remember a season when there's been so few injuries. This has been led by director of performance, Ben Williams, who was brought in by Ainsworth last summer. I hope we can keep him as I'm sure other clubs will have noticed the results of his work.

I was critical of Williams' approach at the start of the season to have the squad only 80% fit as he wanted a longer period than the preseason to bring the players up to full fitness. Will he do the same ahead of the new season? I hope there's an alternative, such as a pre-preseason regime of exercises players are required to do. An 80% fit team is not ideal.
Our physio/medical team on 07:25 - Apr 4 with 2580 viewsNorthernr

Our physio/medical team on 07:24 - Apr 4 by dmm

Quite right. I can't remember a season when there's been so few injuries. This has been led by director of performance, Ben Williams, who was brought in by Ainsworth last summer. I hope we can keep him as I'm sure other clubs will have noticed the results of his work.

I was critical of Williams' approach at the start of the season to have the squad only 80% fit as he wanted a longer period than the preseason to bring the players up to full fitness. Will he do the same ahead of the new season? I hope there's an alternative, such as a pre-preseason regime of exercises players are required to do. An 80% fit team is not ideal.

Well he's got a full summer this time. Last summer I think he only had eight weeks to get to work, which isn't much if you're trying to do what he wanted to do and inheriting the decrepit mess he inherited here.
Our physio/medical team on 07:43 - Apr 4 with 2506 viewsstevec

Sort of thread I’d prefer aired at the end of the season!
Our physio/medical team on 08:29 - Apr 4 with 2391 viewsnix

Our physio/medical team on 07:25 - Apr 4 by Northernr

Well he's got a full summer this time. Last summer I think he only had eight weeks to get to work, which isn't much if you're trying to do what he wanted to do and inheriting the decrepit mess he inherited here.

Yeah that's what I'd guess. Not a slow burn every season but a necessary stop gap under the circumstances he inherited.

Also got the impression from the team that at least one manager (cough Beale) played key people (guessing Willock and Amos) when they weren't fully fit, leading to further injuries. Marti's squad rotation plus re-introducing people slowly seems a much better approach.
Our physio/medical team on 08:30 - Apr 4 with 2395 viewsconnell10

Our physio/medical team on 07:43 - Apr 4 by stevec

Sort of thread I’d prefer aired at the end of the season!

Yep i wanted to post this up but didnt want to tempt fate!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Our physio/medical team on 09:19 - Apr 4 with 2295 views1JD

Our physio/medical team on 07:24 - Apr 4 by dmm

Ben Williams was hired by the club and identified through the data-driven recruitment approach that also identified Marti. It does seen that there is a positive correlation between Williams joining and our injury record this year. Well done to the club and all those involved. Ainsworth did hire the fitness coach Dave Wates who he worked with long term at Wycombe who has remained at the club.
Our physio/medical team on 09:22 - Apr 4 with 2287 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our physio/medical team on 07:19 - Apr 4 by Northernr

We've got several key players for whom availability has been a problem in the past and we've no real cover for them this season (JCS, Willock).

Players who we just haven't been able to get fit before have done big stretches of games. In fact if Clarke-Salter plays twice more it's the first time he's ever done 30+ games in a season in his entire career.

At the start of the season when we were clearly under-done and unfit and the Williams guy was talking about "slow burn" and building up resilience I was very sceptical. I'd never heard of a team being sent into a season deliberately under cooked before, and couldn't see how that wouldn't lead to more injuries. But he's been proven right, and like you say absolutely crucial. Certainly a lot more effective than Olly making them run up a concrete hill in the Portuguese sun.

I would caveat this all slightly by maintaining that I don't believe many of the 'injuries' people sat out with last season were genuine, and it's no surprise that now the team's playing well and they've got a manager they like and who knows what he's doing miraculously everybody is fit. But, yeh, overall, terrific job.

I agree with all of that.

I would say this, though - that they were not fit enough for the pre-season, for the first league game or for many, many weeks therafter is a damning indictment on their previous fitness levels before Williams joined, and we have to consider the possibility that the "slow burn" line was at least in part a cover for a ctaching up process.

I'm sure we all hope that next year's "slow burn" can be completed before actual legaue points are at stake.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Our physio/medical team on 09:24 - Apr 4 with 2273 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our physio/medical team on 08:29 - Apr 4 by nix

Yeah that's what I'd guess. Not a slow burn every season but a necessary stop gap under the circumstances he inherited.

Also got the impression from the team that at least one manager (cough Beale) played key people (guessing Willock and Amos) when they weren't fully fit, leading to further injuries. Marti's squad rotation plus re-introducing people slowly seems a much better approach.

Agreed, Nix.

As for Beale, we don't have to guess. We know you're right because he admitted in a joking way to doing that twice to Willock, for example.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Our physio/medical team on 09:45 - Apr 4 with 2188 viewsBluce_Ree

I'll you what, LFW Forum, but I FKING LOVE THIS GOOD FEELING ABOUT THE CLUB.

The manager, the players, the physio. Let's give it up for Doris the tea lady while we're at it.

YOU R'S!

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Our physio/medical team on 10:28 - Apr 4 with 2077 viewskernowhoop

Quite a contrast with what is being reported about the injuries situation at Manchester United.
Our physio/medical team on 11:01 - Apr 4 with 1995 viewsbosh67

Yes they have done very well.

Unfortunate for Kolli to be out for so long but hopefully he'll be okay for next season. I still have high hope for him.

Richards we will have to see. I suspect there may be an effort to move him on but it is a big ask given his problems in various areas.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Our physio/medical team on 11:05 - Apr 4 with 1988 viewsnix

Our physio/medical team on 10:28 - Apr 4 by kernowhoop

Quite a contrast with what is being reported about the injuries situation at Manchester United.

And Newcastle's injury situation is appalling. When your replacement of your injured players goes off with a bad looking injury it's not a good sign.
Our physio/medical team on 11:06 - Apr 4 with 1984 viewsbosh67

Our physio/medical team on 11:05 - Apr 4 by nix

And Newcastle's injury situation is appalling. When your replacement of your injured players goes off with a bad looking injury it's not a good sign.

Yes Newcastle is like MASH unit this season. Luton have also suffered massive injury issues this season.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Our physio/medical team on 11:39 - Apr 4 with 1911 viewsBluce_Ree

Good. I hope all other teams get a 99% injury rate. Bitches.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Our physio/medical team on 12:20 - Apr 4 with 1828 viewsDavieQPR

The fitness regime seems tailored for each player. Some will require 'slow burn' whilst others will be 'raring to go'.
Our physio/medical team on 12:23 - Apr 4 with 1825 viewsHooping_Mad

Our physio/medical team on 09:45 - Apr 4 by Bluce_Ree

I'll you what, LFW Forum, but I FKING LOVE THIS GOOD FEELING ABOUT THE CLUB.

The manager, the players, the physio. Let's give it up for Doris the tea lady while we're at it.

YOU R'S!

Sorry mate she didn't get on with Joey.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Our physio/medical team on 22:44 - Apr 4 with 1512 viewsmart_Goblin

Downgraded OP by mistake with my stupid fat thumbs.
Apologies
Our physio/medical team on 06:46 - Apr 5 with 1280 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I'm no expert, but pretty sure many injuries are influenced psychologically.
Losing team, crap manager, crap tactics, could be hard work...... hmm I'll sit this one out thanks.

That's why players like Field, Dunne, Chair and Dykes get a free pass from me. Never hid, never cried off.

Winning team and a manager who has a plan, suddenly everyone's available!

I wonder how many will now want to renew contracts as well?
Our physio/medical team on 07:09 - Apr 5 with 1256 viewsPaddyhoops

Jake Clarke Salter has been fit for pretty much most of the season. That’s says it all .
He’s been outstanding and has turned into probably our biggest asset.
They deserve huge credit.
Our physio/medical team on 10:35 - Apr 5 with 1043 viewsnumptydumpty

Yep. In total agreement with all that has been said.

More of the right types in positions throughout the club now that all seem to be more than competent at their role.

Like a few, understood the theory behind the science introduced by the new fitness guru we have, but in reality think like many was sceptical.

Ie just a part of modern football that you have to accept.

But proven very wrong. Outstanding job so far and most of our last three seasons have been hit dreadfully with many long term injury concerns out there.

Like Clive says, some in the past may have been convenient injuries ie almost make believe, but to have no real injuries at a time which is crucial for our survival, has meant that the players on the pitch , have had the nous and professionalism to carry out Marti's wishes on the pitch.

But it does help when you can consistently put out your strongest eleven and your strongest bench and also rotate when needs be, with no changeable impact on results.

Well done Ben Williams and his team. 👋
[Post edited 5 Apr 10:36]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Our physio/medical team on 19:05 - Apr 5 with 830 viewsqprd

Our physio/medical team on 07:19 - Apr 4 by Northernr

Im personally skeptical it has anything to do with the medical team…. A lot of injuries are just random. All these guys go to the same schools and get the same training….. Im skeptical we’re doing anything materially different. It’s ultimately science….

I’d be more inclined to think it has to do w cifuentes and his tactics and management

Ainsworth played route 1 caveman football w our players chasing the ball 80% or the game ..: when you’re out of possession, you’re working harder so there’s more chance of injury

Similarly marti has done a good job at rotating the squad..: irs been annoying at times, particularl around Xmas where we were constantly rotating the team in the holiday fixture congestion … but that’s clearly going to paying dividends later in the year
Our physio/medical team on 21:51 - Apr 5 with 722 viewsqpr1976

Our physio/medical team on 11:06 - Apr 4 by bosh67

Yes Newcastle is like MASH unit this season. Luton have also suffered massive injury issues this season.

“Luton have also suffered massive injury issues this season.“

Oh well, never mind. Carry on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024