Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread 15:33 - Jun 10 with 17091 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Magic asparagus is right.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/06/10/worlds-asparamancer-reveals-england-will-euros-go
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 01:58 - Jun 17 with 1496 viewsBoston

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 21:56 - Jun 16 by ted_hendrix

We burgled that second half.

Legal in England since 1967.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 06:16 - Jun 17 with 1327 viewsnix

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 23:20 - Jun 16 by daveB

England pre Southgate never won opening game of the Euros. 2 wins out of 2 under him, fella knows how to mange tournaments

You mean we deliberately played terribly from the time the goal went in so we could build momentum?

It could have backfired horribly though as Serbia had some decent chances.

I think it shows how Southgate has some brilliant players at his disposal but doesn’t really know how to harness them. I think he’s brilliant at team morale which has kept
him in his job so far. But I don’t think he’s anywhere near the level of say Martí tactically or coaching wise. Which is why we’ll get so far in the tournament but not win it I think.

I also think he just can’t help but have a negative mindset and gets eleven men behind the ball once we’ve scored quicker than Martí can say ‘let’s have more movement and quick passing’. Despite the bold choices of leaving out Grealish and Rashford he still can’t make tough decisions and defaults to leaving Foden on the pitch despite him stinking out the place.

Serbia did play cleverly though by being very physical but just staying close enough to the line not to get booked too often. It’s not surprising Saka faded as he was being manhandled through most of the match.

I don’t really know much about tactics myself but I do think any strategy that has one of the best strikers in the tournament only touching the ball once in tbe first half isn’t working.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 07:53 - Jun 17 with 1156 viewsdaveB

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 06:16 - Jun 17 by nix

You mean we deliberately played terribly from the time the goal went in so we could build momentum?

It could have backfired horribly though as Serbia had some decent chances.

I think it shows how Southgate has some brilliant players at his disposal but doesn’t really know how to harness them. I think he’s brilliant at team morale which has kept
him in his job so far. But I don’t think he’s anywhere near the level of say Martí tactically or coaching wise. Which is why we’ll get so far in the tournament but not win it I think.

I also think he just can’t help but have a negative mindset and gets eleven men behind the ball once we’ve scored quicker than Martí can say ‘let’s have more movement and quick passing’. Despite the bold choices of leaving out Grealish and Rashford he still can’t make tough decisions and defaults to leaving Foden on the pitch despite him stinking out the place.

Serbia did play cleverly though by being very physical but just staying close enough to the line not to get booked too often. It’s not surprising Saka faded as he was being manhandled through most of the match.

I don’t really know much about tactics myself but I do think any strategy that has one of the best strikers in the tournament only touching the ball once in tbe first half isn’t working.

Of course we didn't deliberately play terribly on purpose, not sure where you got that from.
Last night was not great not OK, a tricky first game and we won it, the number of times pre Southgate we had to win our second game or be on the plane home was a quite high. A draw or win on Thursday and we can rest a few for the 3rd game again and group pretty much won

One of the big problem with England over the years is having great players but not a great team, we're falling into that trap again with this generation trying to shoehorn everyone in

I just didn't see this negative mindset from the start, it was very attacking first half it was just that Serbia played well second half so we had to manage the game. Serbia really only had one chance which was a long range shot, don't think Pickford made another save.

I get the comparison with Marti as we all love him but his team is not exactly shackles off all out attack, it's very organised and does just enough

Feels like at the moment peoples opinions are written before the game, Southgate is negative, rubbish etc so no matter what happens we go with that.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:00 - Jun 17 with 1138 viewsGaryBannister86

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 07:53 - Jun 17 by daveB

Of course we didn't deliberately play terribly on purpose, not sure where you got that from.
Last night was not great not OK, a tricky first game and we won it, the number of times pre Southgate we had to win our second game or be on the plane home was a quite high. A draw or win on Thursday and we can rest a few for the 3rd game again and group pretty much won

One of the big problem with England over the years is having great players but not a great team, we're falling into that trap again with this generation trying to shoehorn everyone in

I just didn't see this negative mindset from the start, it was very attacking first half it was just that Serbia played well second half so we had to manage the game. Serbia really only had one chance which was a long range shot, don't think Pickford made another save.

I get the comparison with Marti as we all love him but his team is not exactly shackles off all out attack, it's very organised and does just enough

Feels like at the moment peoples opinions are written before the game, Southgate is negative, rubbish etc so no matter what happens we go with that.

Dave, I am with your GS argument all the way. It is hilarious that a manager who has turned us from also-rans time after time to finalists, semi finalists gets abused. As soon as he retires / dies they will be saying what a genius he was.

And any sort of win is good in a major tournament, re Robson's abysmal wins against Egypt and Cameroon, El Tel's on penalties against Spain, it doesn't matter.

But - my patience was tested last night. I do think with these players available he could do better than putting on Gallagher to try and kill the game. I really hope we can just go for it and also find the real Foden at the same time.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:01 - Jun 17 with 1131 viewsdavman

That is the logical and scientific way of proving a theory - postulate it (Southgate is a boring and negative manager) then observe and test that theory (two defensive midfielders, then sitting back on a precarious 1-0 lead, Mainoo on for Bellingham to make it THREE deep sitting midfielders for the last five minutes).

Nothing seen yet to disprove that theory.

Play like we did in the opening 10, that is a 2 or 3 goal win. Yes, it's the groups and yes we won our first game; all commendable, but a better team will punish us and he can't play any other way.
[Post edited 17 Jun 9:25]

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:04 - Jun 17 with 1117 viewsSydneyRs

Look whether England win this tournament or not, the Southgate haters are likely to get their way afterwards so perhaps we could leave out the name calling etc until then.

Overall he's done a good job while being the English manager that many cried out for after trying bosses from overseas. As bad as many think he is, he was a jammy Italian equaliser and a penalty shootout from winning the last Euros. We only conceded twice in the tournament.

I think England have always had good players and one or two great ones. But some of the talent available now surpasses most of what has gone before.

Serbia are a big physical team and tough to play against. You just have to get through these games with a win and hopefully no injuries. Job done.

As I mentioned before, Argentina went on to win the world cup after losing to Saudi Arabia. Italy won in 1982 without winning a group game. You don't have to start a tournament well to end it well.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:23 - Jun 17 with 1062 viewsdaveB

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:01 - Jun 17 by davman

That is the logical and scientific way of proving a theory - postulate it (Southgate is a boring and negative manager) then observe and test that theory (two defensive midfielders, then sitting back on a precarious 1-0 lead, Mainoo on for Bellingham to make it THREE deep sitting midfielders for the last five minutes).

Nothing seen yet to disprove that theory.

Play like we did in the opening 10, that is a 2 or 3 goal win. Yes, it's the groups and yes we won our first game; all commendable, but a better team will punish us and he can't play any other way.
[Post edited 17 Jun 9:25]

Mainoo and Gallagher are not deep defensive midfielders though, Mainoo is really poor defensivley imo, his strength is winning the ball back and playing in the final third. Gallagher is a box to box player, added some energy into the midfield and did OK
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:46 - Jun 17 with 1002 viewsNed_Kennedys

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:04 - Jun 17 by SydneyRs

Look whether England win this tournament or not, the Southgate haters are likely to get their way afterwards so perhaps we could leave out the name calling etc until then.

Overall he's done a good job while being the English manager that many cried out for after trying bosses from overseas. As bad as many think he is, he was a jammy Italian equaliser and a penalty shootout from winning the last Euros. We only conceded twice in the tournament.

I think England have always had good players and one or two great ones. But some of the talent available now surpasses most of what has gone before.

Serbia are a big physical team and tough to play against. You just have to get through these games with a win and hopefully no injuries. Job done.

As I mentioned before, Argentina went on to win the world cup after losing to Saudi Arabia. Italy won in 1982 without winning a group game. You don't have to start a tournament well to end it well.

On the other side of the coin the Southgate lovers will always find a way to defend their man and his record of not winning anything and his poor in game management. Serbia were bang average yesterday and we were NOT unlucky to lose to Italy in the final at Wembley.
Denmark and Slovenia should be levels below England in the next few games as Serbia were: much bigger challenges await and that’s when team selection, tactics, in game management and substitutions are so vital.
Login to get fewer ads

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:02 - Jun 17 with 963 viewsderbyhoop

We won and we are still being highly critical, which is slightly unfair. Serbia were a big, physical side, who took a long time to impose themselves.
TAA, for someone who normally plays RB, is poor defensively. Foden was also poor. Coupled with Trippier who wants to come in on his right foot, makes our left side unbalanced. Saka was excellent for 35 minutes then faded badly.
I thought Rice and Bellingham were excellent and we were much better defensively than I expected.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:05 - Jun 17 with 950 viewsMrSheen

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:23 - Jun 17 by daveB

Mainoo and Gallagher are not deep defensive midfielders though, Mainoo is really poor defensivley imo, his strength is winning the ball back and playing in the final third. Gallagher is a box to box player, added some energy into the midfield and did OK

I thought Gallagher did what was asked of him (like Bowen). Added a bit of energy and anticipation to turn the tide in midfield.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:06 - Jun 17 with 936 viewsdsw2509

Serbia were no mugs and we had to earn the right to play our game. We did enough, mainly because Bellingham was on another planet compared to everyone else. For me Foden was the biggest disappointment. I would have like to see Eze on for the last 15 or so. I didn’t see the point of bringing Mainoo on. Guehi was a big plus. I don’t think he out a foot wrong.

The big thing is that it is a win. Our record in the first game in tournaments is apparently terrible. But Southgate had won the last two. I remember Euro 96-that started with a really dull draw against Switzerland. It turned out alright in the end though. Hopefully this time will be the same.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:17 - Jun 17 with 887 viewshubble

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 23:20 - Jun 16 by daveB

England pre Southgate never won opening game of the Euros. 2 wins out of 2 under him, fella knows how to mange tournaments

Hmmm, yes Dave, but can he mange tout?

He hasn't won anything yet.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:26 - Jun 17 with 864 viewsPdog

How about just play a left sided midfielder (Gordon for Foden) on the left, and a central midfielder in the middle (Mainoo, Gallagaher, Wharton) for TAA. I'm pretty sure that would solve a lot of the issues we saw last night as cannot be carrying players at that level.

TAA in CM would get burnt alive by a decent team, if we're playing a poor team fine but if on the backfoot against anyone half decent it wont work as evidenced last night.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:28 - Jun 17 with 857 viewsDiscodroids

I was glad of the win but jesus h christ that serbian team were like a ray harryhausen stop motion land of the giants outfit. Huge. Like a team of Cyberdyne T-800 terminators.

Onwards and upwards. clean sheet and a win.
[Post edited 17 Jun 9:59]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:34 - Jun 17 with 841 viewsKonk

England's opening game record at Euros:

1980 - Belgium 1-1
1988 - Republic of Ireland - 0-1
1992 - Denmark 0-0
1996 - Switzerland 1-1
2000 - Portugal 2-3
2004 - France 1-2
2012 - France 1-1
2016 - Russia 1-1
2020 - Croatia 1-0

World cup opening games:

1982 - France 3-1
1986 - Morocco 0-0
1990 - Republic of Ireland 1-1
1998 - Tunisia 2-0
2002 - Sweden 1-1
2006 - Paraguay 1-0
2010 - USA 1-1
2014 - Costa Rica 0-0
2018 - Tunisia 2-1
2022 - Iran 6-2

Given that we have generally played poorly in our opening games and often drawn or lost against teams we were expected to beat, I'm feeling pretty relaxed about last night. Lots to improve upon, but a steady start that with 3 points in the bag, takes a lot of the pressure off. Defence looked solid enough, which was encouraging.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:40 - Jun 17 with 820 viewsSydneyRs

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 08:46 - Jun 17 by Ned_Kennedys

On the other side of the coin the Southgate lovers will always find a way to defend their man and his record of not winning anything and his poor in game management. Serbia were bang average yesterday and we were NOT unlucky to lose to Italy in the final at Wembley.
Denmark and Slovenia should be levels below England in the next few games as Serbia were: much bigger challenges await and that’s when team selection, tactics, in game management and substitutions are so vital.

That is also true, but he's done better than almost all that came before him, all but one of whom also never won anything.

Group games are all about results and winning the first one is always a great way to start, regardless of how you get there.

You could argue the lucky unlucky thing v Italy all day. Did Italy deserve to draw, yes they did. Was the actual goal itself lucky, yes it was. And without that lucky goal they lose the game. They missed two of their pens too and pens are always a lottery.

I'd rather save our better performances for the real tests. Sticking several goals past inferior teams in the group stages counts for nothing. Will we get better? I hope so because we will certainly need to as the tournament goes on.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:48 - Jun 17 with 781 viewsTheChef

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:02 - Jun 17 by derbyhoop

We won and we are still being highly critical, which is slightly unfair. Serbia were a big, physical side, who took a long time to impose themselves.
TAA, for someone who normally plays RB, is poor defensively. Foden was also poor. Coupled with Trippier who wants to come in on his right foot, makes our left side unbalanced. Saka was excellent for 35 minutes then faded badly.
I thought Rice and Bellingham were excellent and we were much better defensively than I expected.

Left side is the biggest issue. Criminal that a top professional player like Trippier is so unable to use his left foot! Anyone know when Shaw is back to fitness?

Foden also looked lost on that side, if we have to persevere with Trippier then we need a more natural left sided player in front of him (Eze please - won't happen though).

Bellingham, Rice and Saka all very good, and Kane really should have got a second goal. Take the win and move on to the next game.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:56 - Jun 17 with 765 viewsDiscodroids

apparently yesterday was 42 years to the very day that Byran Robson scored after 20 odd seconds against that wonderful French side in our opening match of the '82 world cup . 42 years...

Like tears in rain baby.
[Post edited 17 Jun 10:00]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:59 - Jun 17 with 753 viewsCamberleyR

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:34 - Jun 17 by Konk

1980 - Belgium 1-1
1992 - Denmark 0-0
1996 - Switzerland 1-1
2000 - Portugal 2-3
2004 - France 1-2
2012 - France 1-1
2016 - Russia 1-1
2020 - Croatia 1-0

World cup opening games:

1982 - France 3-1
1986 - Morocco 0-0
1998 - Tunisia 2-0
2002 - Sweden 1-1
2006 - Paraguay 1-0
2010 - USA 1-1
2014 - Costa Rica 0-0
2018 - Tunisia 2-1
2022 - Iran 6-2

Given that we have generally played poorly in our opening games and often drawn or lost against teams we were expected to beat, I'm feeling pretty relaxed about last night. Lots to improve upon, but a steady start that with 3 points in the bag, takes a lot of the pressure off. Defence looked solid enough, which was encouraging.

We also lost the first game at the 1968 Euros although admittedly it was a semi final as back then it was two semis and the final. The game where the first ever sending off for an England player occurred (Alan Mullery).

Our first game record in the World Cup pre-1982 was nothing to write home about neither.
1970 - Romania 1-0
1966 - Uruguay 0-0
1962 - Hungary 1-2
1958 - Soviet Union 2-2
1954 - Belgium 4-4
1950 - Chile 2-0

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 10:05 - Jun 17 with 723 viewslassel

I normally agree with you Dave and you’re often the voice of reason but I can’t agree that last nights game was a tricky one.

As said I was at Sweden v Serbia last week and they were as dire yesterday as they were against Sweden. They’re a very poor team whose only strategy is to be disciplined and compact and try and nick something on the break or at a set piece.

England should’ve won at a canter yet for 60 minutes Serbia were in uncharted territory expecting to sit back and suddenly being urged to come forward and have a go.

The possession stats were stark with how narrow England were, the one time Saka took on his full back it resulted in a goal.

Another problem of course is Southgate insisting that the unanimous PL player of the season in the #10 role cannot play the #10 role and then shoehorning him in at LW where he never plays for his club with predictable results.

I don’t want to gang up on Southgate and play into the cliches about him but last night was perfect fodder for his detractors with a team of offensively minded players looking completely devoid of ideas and tactical nous.

And as said, TAA is *NOT* a midfielder, Serbia correctly targeted him and they’re not a good team, if England want any chance of getting to the later stages he has to be removed from that role.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 10:06 - Jun 17 with 720 viewsfrancisbowles

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:34 - Jun 17 by Konk

1980 - Belgium 1-1
1992 - Denmark 0-0
1996 - Switzerland 1-1
2000 - Portugal 2-3
2004 - France 1-2
2012 - France 1-1
2016 - Russia 1-1
2020 - Croatia 1-0

World cup opening games:

1982 - France 3-1
1986 - Morocco 0-0
1998 - Tunisia 2-0
2002 - Sweden 1-1
2006 - Paraguay 1-0
2010 - USA 1-1
2014 - Costa Rica 0-0
2018 - Tunisia 2-1
2022 - Iran 6-2

Yes and to add to that, Fabregas mentioned Spain losing their opening game when they won and in '66 England 0 Uruguay 0.

We were ok last night, not as impressive as Germany but against a Serbian team that played much better than the Scottish one.

A touch of realism. Only one team can win any tournament and they are often decided by fine margins.

I've learnt over the years not to expect England to win. I think any tournament at this level you do well to reach the last eight and very well to get to the semis.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 10:08 - Jun 17 with 707 viewsSydneyRs

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 09:56 - Jun 17 by Discodroids

apparently yesterday was 42 years to the very day that Byran Robson scored after 20 odd seconds against that wonderful French side in our opening match of the '82 world cup . 42 years...

Like tears in rain baby.
[Post edited 17 Jun 10:00]

That game was the perfect example of us starting brilliantly and then fading later in the tournament. Maybe it will happen the other way around sometime?
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 10:10 - Jun 17 with 686 viewsTheChef

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 10:06 - Jun 17 by francisbowles

Yes and to add to that, Fabregas mentioned Spain losing their opening game when they won and in '66 England 0 Uruguay 0.

We were ok last night, not as impressive as Germany but against a Serbian team that played much better than the Scottish one.

A touch of realism. Only one team can win any tournament and they are often decided by fine margins.

I've learnt over the years not to expect England to win. I think any tournament at this level you do well to reach the last eight and very well to get to the semis.

Likewise - to win a tournament you need to be good or lucky, ideally a combination of both. Peak at the right time, etc.

Just try and sit back and enjoy it (although watching England is rarely enjoyable!)

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 10:15 - Jun 17 with 657 viewsMrSheen

Thanks gents for reviving memories of England's group games in 1990. That Ireland game was one of the worst I've ever seen, played in a gale so of course both sides are going to punt it in the air whenever possible. As comfortable an experience as wearing a nylon shirt and polyester trousers on a stalled tube train in August.
Serbia 🇷🇸 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Match Thread on 10:21 - Jun 17 with 637 viewsNorthernr

Some good, some bad.
Serbia were a big awkward side.
Bellingham was unreal. Saka got his full back going first half.
Did feel like we're rather crowbarring players in. I'm not a fan of TAA in that position and find the hype around him a bit weird.
Not for the first time under Southgate (Italy home and away) a very promising first half gave way to a patchy second, with too much sitting back.

I guess if you think that's just the start and we'll grow and get better then you're pretty happy. But if you think that's just us then it looks like it'll be the usual England in tournaments because you need to be better than that against better sides.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024