Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. 20:45 - Jul 6 with 16533 viewsEsox_Lucius

Same starting XI and result as the 1/4 final for me.

The grass is always greener.

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 23:52 - Jul 10 with 1922 viewsHooparoo

England need to figure out a way to beat Spain’s high press. I’d start Watkins or Toney up front to give them an out ball. Both are quicker than Kane too so Spain would have to defend deeper thereby creating more space in midfield.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 00:44 - Jul 11 with 1784 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I've been critical of earlier performances in the tournament but this was much more like it. The team played with real belief and the manager made the right changes at the right time. Well done all round. Roll on Sunday.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 07:20 - Jul 11 with 1575 viewsderbyhoop

I think Ted missed the tongue-in-cheek nature of the post.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 07:42 - Jul 11 with 1542 viewsBlackCrowe

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 07:20 - Jul 11 by derbyhoop

I think Ted missed the tongue-in-cheek nature of the post.

We deserved to win that last night. Thought the first half was the best we played all tournament and the subs injected the life and danger that was needed in the second. Great stuff.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 07:54 - Jul 11 with 1502 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Much better last night, fair play to Southgate I was moaning about him before but have nothing to moan about today he got it spot on.

I thought the penalty was a tad harsh but feck it revenge for 1993.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 07:59 - Jul 11 with 1487 viewsSnipper

Without a doubt, the best ever non QPR experience I’ve ever had in a football ground.

I’m still buzzing.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 08:29 - Jul 11 with 1435 viewsParkRoyalR

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 23:06 - Jul 10 by daveB

I am thanks, it's almost as if the last 2 weeks of negative bollocks before, during and after every game on here never happened

Is there a saying better to be lucky than good?

Criticism of Southgate was totally merited thus far and the players and weak opposition have got him out of jail before last night,

Different team 1st Half last night but Koemam changed it at Half Time and dominated 2nd Half until Palmer came on and does what he does, looking for those incisive forward passes,

3 big wrong decisions changed the game which is why it seems Southgate is riding his luck all the way in this tournament.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 08:33 - Jul 11 with 1393 viewsClive_Anderson

Login to get fewer ads

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 09:07 - Jul 11 with 1281 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 08:29 - Jul 11 by ParkRoyalR

Criticism of Southgate was totally merited thus far and the players and weak opposition have got him out of jail before last night,

Different team 1st Half last night but Koemam changed it at Half Time and dominated 2nd Half until Palmer came on and does what he does, looking for those incisive forward passes,

3 big wrong decisions changed the game which is why it seems Southgate is riding his luck all the way in this tournament.

Can you be lucky for six games though? It’s unlikely isn’t it?

Could it be he has a system that might not look good but is effective?

I might be wrong, but Denmark aside we’ve had better stats than our opponents. I also don’t think many if any teams have had more goals disallowed than us.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 09:25 - Jul 11 with 1231 viewsParkRoyalR

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 09:07 - Jul 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can you be lucky for six games though? It’s unlikely isn’t it?

Could it be he has a system that might not look good but is effective?

I might be wrong, but Denmark aside we’ve had better stats than our opponents. I also don’t think many if any teams have had more goals disallowed than us.

I like Southgate as a bloke but just don't rate him as a Manager,

Is a system effective when you barely muster a shot on target in 90 minutes against average opposition as in 2 of the games?

As Roy Keane says it doesn't matter if you get the win but some of the nonsense spouted about Southgste is unreal,

My favourite after the shoot out win was it was all down to Southgate taking the penalty takers in groups of 3 and overseeing their prep,

Yep Ivan Toney, Cole Palmer & Trent listening to Southgate on how to take a penalty and it being the difference.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 09:30 - Jul 11 with 1214 viewsSydneyRs

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 08:33 - Jul 11 by Clive_Anderson

Indeed, it is sweet to see Koeman moaning about the decision and VAR given he dodged what should have been a certain red card back then. Don't recall him complaining about that.
[Post edited 11 Jul 9:31]
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:15 - Jul 11 with 1128 viewsterryb

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 08:29 - Jul 11 by ParkRoyalR

What were the three "big wrong decisions"?

I wouldn't have given a penalty, but a free kick would have been awarded every time if it had been outside of the penalty area.

Giving a goalkick instead of a corner (which it should have been) surely doesn't warrant the description.

The main wrong decision was Koemann's in how Netherlands were set up at the start of the match.

Have England played against very poor sides? Possibly, but apart from Germany, Spain haven't played a good team. Switzerland have definitely been better than France, Belgium, Portugal & Italy.

I think you're being guilty of rating sides on their reputation.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:17 - Jul 11 with 1114 viewsdaveB

criticism is fine, some of the abuse he's got and the constant name calling was wrong, he deserves far more respect
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:30 - Jul 11 with 1067 viewsParkRoyalR

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:17 - Jul 11 by daveB

criticism is fine, some of the abuse he's got and the constant name calling was wrong, he deserves far more respect

Agree, he's a top bloke, and seems to be getting braver in his decisions with those substitutions last night, the Shaw change after a dominant 1st Half was a big call but could see for all the possession needed to create more chances, likewise taking off Fiden who was playing well but needed Palmer to open up the Holland defence

Needs that same confident aggressive approach against the Spanish imo.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:42 - Jul 11 with 1010 viewsParkRoyalR

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:15 - Jul 11 by terryb

What were the three "big wrong decisions"?

I wouldn't have given a penalty, but a free kick would have been awarded every time if it had been outside of the penalty area.

Giving a goalkick instead of a corner (which it should have been) surely doesn't warrant the description.

The main wrong decision was Koemann's in how Netherlands were set up at the start of the match.

Have England played against very poor sides? Possibly, but apart from Germany, Spain haven't played a good team. Switzerland have definitely been better than France, Belgium, Portugal & Italy.

I think you're being guilty of rating sides on their reputation.

The corner was a big call as Holland were so dominant in the air it was there Plan A goal threat in the 2nd Half,

The free kick at the start of the goal scoring move was never a free kick as was seen by the spontaneous reaction of 5 Dutch players who went ape,

How did that Referee with his previous get that game,

All fine margins but ultimately a superb pass by Cole and turn + shot by Watkins was a worthy match winning moment.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:56 - Jul 11 with 948 viewsdaveB

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:42 - Jul 11 by ParkRoyalR

The corner was a big call as Holland were so dominant in the air it was there Plan A goal threat in the 2nd Half,

The free kick at the start of the goal scoring move was never a free kick as was seen by the spontaneous reaction of 5 Dutch players who went ape,

How did that Referee with his previous get that game,

All fine margins but ultimately a superb pass by Cole and turn + shot by Watkins was a worthy match winning moment.

That's not a big call and they didn't score from any of their other corners so not sure it would have made much difference

The penalty was harsh but is a foul anywhere else on the pitch, thought the ref had a decent game
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:16 - Jul 11 with 906 viewsJuzzie

I don't think Netherlands dominated the second half at all. They pretty much reverted to 'doing an England' because they couldn't cope with us in the first half.
Sure, they may have had more possession but they didn't dominate. They had a good free kick which Pickford saved well from, hit the cross bar and we then hit the post so that evens that out

What were the 3 'big' wrong decisions? The penalty was contentious but seems to have been awarded as per the LotG today, not from 20 years ago.

There was a corner not given as it lightly brushed one of our defenders thigh but I recall we had a corner not given agaisnt Swiitzerland but we've seen corners (or throw-ins) not given for decades so as annoying as it is, it's hardly 'big'.

What about the time when two balls were on the pitch? We were absolutely flying at that point and Walker was about to put in a dangerous cross but the ref stopped play (IMO the ball was not interfering with play and could easily have be taken off the pitch). There was a stop in play and a drop kick which Walker played backwards and from that point Netherlands seemed to be able to regroup (which they didn't have the chance to do so before such was our pressing) and that's when our intensity was abated due to them adjusting.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:17 - Jul 11 with 904 viewsParkRoyalR

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:56 - Jul 11 by daveB

That's not a big call and they didn't score from any of their other corners so not sure it would have made much difference

The penalty was harsh but is a foul anywhere else on the pitch, thought the ref had a decent game

Hit the bar from one, arguably should have been given a penalty at another, they had some serious height and aerial power on the pitch in the 2nd Half, only let down by poor set-piece delivery,

Kane got his shot off then clashed feet on follow through, that is just never a penalty, but it was given and that's all that counts.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:34 - Jul 11 with 842 viewsSonofpugwash

Penalty all day long and should have been a red card.Always a nasty tackle when you leave your studs there to lick against.Could have busted Kane's foot.Olly has been doing that all season for Villa,bet he won't start in the final though.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:04 - Jul 11 with 735 viewsChrisNW6

Considering the concerns with the ref before the game I thought he had a pretty good match and got most things correct. As soon as he was asked to review the potential penalty he had no choice but to give it.

There was a lot of hyperbole on here before the game regarding the 2005 €300 bung he took as a 23yr lino in the lower leagues. He was actually a whistle blower in a much bigger €2m match fixing probe involving organised crime gangs. Not totally innocent but you can see why he only got a six month ban.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:11 - Jul 11 with 683 viewsParkRoyalR

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:04 - Jul 11 by ChrisNW6

Considering the concerns with the ref before the game I thought he had a pretty good match and got most things correct. As soon as he was asked to review the potential penalty he had no choice but to give it.

There was a lot of hyperbole on here before the game regarding the 2005 €300 bung he took as a 23yr lino in the lower leagues. He was actually a whistle blower in a much bigger €2m match fixing probe involving organised crime gangs. Not totally innocent but you can see why he only got a six month ban.

That's a good point as it was VAR that gave the penalty and not the Referee.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:15 - Jul 11 with 678 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:04 - Jul 11 by ChrisNW6

Bent and a grass 😆
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:24 - Jul 11 with 641 viewsChrisNW6

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:15 - Jul 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Bent and a grass 😆

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:46 - Jul 11 with 569 viewsDavieQPR

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 09:25 - Jul 11 by ParkRoyalR

I like Southgate as a bloke but just don't rate him as a Manager,

Is a system effective when you barely muster a shot on target in 90 minutes against average opposition as in 2 of the games?

As Roy Keane says it doesn't matter if you get the win but some of the nonsense spouted about Southgste is unreal,

My favourite after the shoot out win was it was all down to Southgate taking the penalty takers in groups of 3 and overseeing their prep,

Yep Ivan Toney, Cole Palmer & Trent listening to Southgate on how to take a penalty and it being the difference.

You mean they didn't know how to take penalties until the man ,famous for missing one ,came along and showed them?
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 13:08 - Jul 11 with 520 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Is it true that we signed David Wheeler instead of Ollie Watkins?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024