Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Julien Stéphan Interview 06:47 - Oct 7 with 8909 viewsNorthernr

Annual sit down with the manager, done in conjunction with Conor/Hoopsa this year, now available to read on site or listen to/watch (free of charge, no subscription required) via the Patreon...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/

https://www.patreon.com/LoftFo

This post has been edited by an administrator
23
Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:44 - Oct 7 with 2189 viewsNorthernr

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:18 - Oct 7 by vanrrrr

Cheers Clive… very enjoyable and encouraging listen. Feel we are lucky to have JS at the helm.

Like others have said the emphasis on standards is music to the ears. It’s not a good week or two it is consistent hight standards- like they say, good players are good players all the time. If we instill that we will be better off and it will also be the making of some young players.

Your French stripey T shirt a nice touch too.


Yes picked that one out especially.
3
Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:45 - Oct 7 with 2189 viewsNorthernr

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:41 - Oct 7 by Myke

Cheers Clive, intelligent questions answered intelligently. Two things (and I hear you Brian re Kolli) I think separating injuries from players selection is very telling. At the moment, the blatantly obvious one is Kolli and I would not expect to see him make the match day squad v West Ham. But it also does not spell the end of his QPR career either. JS has been very clear, but also very clever, it is 100% down to the player if he gets included or not.
On the flip side of that, the ‘Standards’ thing is very interesting. JS can impose strict standards on Kolli, as he is on the peripheral of things. But what happens if Dunne lets his standards slip, or Edward’s, or Charles? You can argue that is never going to happen, but that is not my point. If JS is serious about driving up standards (which is music to my ears) then it must be applied to the most important /popular player too, as well as the dispensable.


Or Kone...
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:54 - Oct 7 with 2143 viewsNorthernr

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:41 - Oct 7 by Stainrod

Well done for getting the interview and bringing us this Clive.

I suspect you would like to have followed-up a few questions but appreciate there was no doubt a strict time limit and much to get through.

Encouraging injuries to Burrell and Kone not as bad as some doomsday suggestions.

He talks quite obliquely (partly its language I guess, although his English is now much improved).

What I took from this (but might be misreading stuff):

1) He isn't too concerned about not being able to win games with more than half the possession. He is more interested in getting lots of intense/ attacking "big moments" when we might score. And also, it's a work in progress - so we have also tightened up the defence and can't do everything at once. He has a point, but personally I still think this is a big problem if it means we will struggle to win a lot of home games against poor sides (which should be our "bankers").

2) He gets that the game has changed. But fundamentally he remains a purist and wants us to play a (more basic version) of Spain's game than rush into doing what the likes of City have done. Oddly tho that doesn't seem to quite line up with what we are actually doing?

3) "Standards" (however defined) are his big benchmark. Seemed pretty clear on this one: Kone although struggling tries to hit those standards, Kolli hasn't done consistently enough (though some encouraging signs the last fortnight).

4) He is not boxing himself in to setting any meaningful targets he can actually be judged against, ie a specific league position. In this he is like most managers, not wanting to put pressure on himself or players.

5) Doesn't seem massively confident about the next run of games, but is probably sensible asking us to look to the horizon and not get too wound up by any individual losses.

6) Denies there is a specifically "QPR" aspect to our injuries - other than signing a few players who lacked proper pre-season. Jury probably still out on this one.
[Post edited 7 Oct 13:43]


Yeh not a lot to disagree with there.

Happy to collaborate with Conor to get it over the line, we get on very well and he's very sound. We spent last Thursday night in London Bridge planning out what to ask and what could be left out.

We didn't want to do a lot of repetition from the fans forum if we could help it, but also knew there were questions we would have to ask like Burrell, Kone, Kolli and then Kamara (which we found out about on the morning of) so that was always going to suck up a good 10-15 mins of the time. The club didn't give us a time limit on this occasion but if you go past 45 mins you're taking the pis a bit generally unless it's pre-agreed that it's a good hour like we used to do with Warbs.

It's also about striking a balance between light and shade - "why are all our players injured all the time eh?" and "cor Ronnie Edwards is fit isn't he?". If you do too much of the former the interviewee isn't going to respond to you or want to do it again in the future, and a good portion of the audience (i.e. the QPR support) would turn on us in the current circumstance. Too much of the latter and it's basically a puff piece that may as well sit on the official website.

The one drawback of doing it as a twosome, and I'm sure Conor will feel the same, is it does make it difficult to go into deep follow ups without treading on each other's toes or taking up each other's time. So, for instance, after the Kolli chat, I could probably have asked what the difference is between one striker who's seemingly a bit slapdash in training and fitness and will not be considered until he learns standards, and another who's apparently come back out of shape and started the season badly but who we must get round and love because he's a "monster".

Overall though, pretty happy with the outcome and pleased you've all got something out of it.
14
Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:01 - Oct 7 with 2110 viewsPunteR

Listened on my way into work on an e- cargo cycle, (took me 7 hours to get there, got rained off).
Enjoyable listen. I like the cut of his jib. Talking about standards and ambition and loving his players. Seems to have a lot of time for them. The Kolli thing seems to be done, with the ball is in Ryan's court. Which judging by Kolli's recent dev games , he's on the case.
He seems a really good manager.
Nice one Conor & Clive . ( good double act name)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:02 - Oct 7 with 2106 viewsKensalT

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:41 - Oct 7 by Stainrod

Well done for getting the interview and bringing us this Clive.

I suspect you would like to have followed-up a few questions but appreciate there was no doubt a strict time limit and much to get through.

Encouraging injuries to Burrell and Kone not as bad as some doomsday suggestions.

He talks quite obliquely (partly its language I guess, although his English is now much improved).

What I took from this (but might be misreading stuff):

1) He isn't too concerned about not being able to win games with more than half the possession. He is more interested in getting lots of intense/ attacking "big moments" when we might score. And also, it's a work in progress - so we have also tightened up the defence and can't do everything at once. He has a point, but personally I still think this is a big problem if it means we will struggle to win a lot of home games against poor sides (which should be our "bankers").

2) He gets that the game has changed. But fundamentally he remains a purist and wants us to play a (more basic version) of Spain's game than rush into doing what the likes of City have done. Oddly tho that doesn't seem to quite line up with what we are actually doing?

3) "Standards" (however defined) are his big benchmark. Seemed pretty clear on this one: Kone although struggling tries to hit those standards, Kolli hasn't done consistently enough (though some encouraging signs the last fortnight).

4) He is not boxing himself in to setting any meaningful targets he can actually be judged against, ie a specific league position. In this he is like most managers, not wanting to put pressure on himself or players.

5) Doesn't seem massively confident about the next run of games, but is probably sensible asking us to look to the horizon and not get too wound up by any individual losses.

6) Denies there is a specifically "QPR" aspect to our injuries - other than signing a few players who lacked proper pre-season. Jury probably still out on this one.
[Post edited 7 Oct 13:43]


Regarding your point 2.

I don't think he meant that we need to be Spain-lite. At least that's not how I read it.

I think what he was trying to emphasise was the understanding between the players.

So, yes the game has changed and become more physical, but there are ways to beat that provided you work cohesively as a team and both understand and stick to your instructions and gameplan.

And without wanting to turn this into another you-know-who thread. Anyone who isn't fully onboard with the team plan might be viewed as a weakness instead of a strength.
[Post edited 7 Oct 16:44]
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:16 - Oct 7 with 2058 viewsfrancisbowles

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:41 - Oct 7 by Myke

Cheers Clive, intelligent questions answered intelligently. Two things (and I hear you Brian re Kolli) I think separating injuries from players selection is very telling. At the moment, the blatantly obvious one is Kolli and I would not expect to see him make the match day squad v West Ham. But it also does not spell the end of his QPR career either. JS has been very clear, but also very clever, it is 100% down to the player if he gets included or not.
On the flip side of that, the ‘Standards’ thing is very interesting. JS can impose strict standards on Kolli, as he is on the peripheral of things. But what happens if Dunne lets his standards slip, or Edward’s, or Charles? You can argue that is never going to happen, but that is not my point. If JS is serious about driving up standards (which is music to my ears) then it must be applied to the most important /popular player too, as well as the dispensable.


As Julien said he was very happy with Rayan's response over the last few weeks, I would expect him to be, at the very least, on the bench.

I expect Alfie to start with Smyth on the left and Poku on the right.
2
Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:35 - Oct 7 with 1989 viewsNorthernr

Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:16 - Oct 7 by francisbowles

As Julien said he was very happy with Rayan's response over the last few weeks, I would expect him to be, at the very least, on the bench.

I expect Alfie to start with Smyth on the left and Poku on the right.


It's weird, some people have taken it as he's going to be involved, I came away thinking I was more likely to play at West Ham.

We'll find out on Friday I guess.

Apparently (shock horror) Obikwu is injured again so it really is Alfie Lloyd against the world but, in my opinion, the club will try everything it can (up to and including picking Jude the Cat) before it gets to Rayan coming off the bench to a hero's reception from a big away end.
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:39 - Oct 7 with 1962 viewsGaryBannister86

Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:35 - Oct 7 by Northernr

It's weird, some people have taken it as he's going to be involved, I came away thinking I was more likely to play at West Ham.

We'll find out on Friday I guess.

Apparently (shock horror) Obikwu is injured again so it really is Alfie Lloyd against the world but, in my opinion, the club will try everything it can (up to and including picking Jude the Cat) before it gets to Rayan coming off the bench to a hero's reception from a big away end.


Agreed, and he clearly loves Ronnie's versatility, so perhaps we could revisit the halcyon days of when Darren Peacock started up front. Or did I dream that?!
0
Login to get fewer ads

Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:42 - Oct 7 with 1945 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:33 - Oct 7 by KensalT

I wish he would stop referring to "top, top, top players."

Triggers my Monsieur Redknapp PTSD.

Mind you, Arry never went as far as the four "tops" that JS gave Lamine Yamal.

He must be a top ,top, top, top player



Love all of that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 15:54 - Oct 7 with 1751 viewsMatch82

Maybe it's just me but the reference to standards in two different parts of the interview made it seem like the Kolli thing wasn't about giving it his all in training, but more about willingness to close down and do the hard yards as the "first defender" as a striker
2
Julien Stéphan Interview on 15:54 - Oct 7 with 1750 viewsNorthernr

Julien Stéphan Interview on 15:54 - Oct 7 by Match82

Maybe it's just me but the reference to standards in two different parts of the interview made it seem like the Kolli thing wasn't about giving it his all in training, but more about willingness to close down and do the hard yards as the "first defender" as a striker


Agree.
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 16:17 - Oct 7 with 1667 viewsArvoSturm

Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:35 - Oct 7 by Northernr

It's weird, some people have taken it as he's going to be involved, I came away thinking I was more likely to play at West Ham.

We'll find out on Friday I guess.

Apparently (shock horror) Obikwu is injured again so it really is Alfie Lloyd against the world but, in my opinion, the club will try everything it can (up to and including picking Jude the Cat) before it gets to Rayan coming off the bench to a hero's reception from a big away end.


I think he was positioning himself to allow some involvement on Fri from Rayan. He can't let the squad and us think that he's made an exception to his effort-demands just because there are injuries. He was saying that's nothing to do with it, it is all on the effort metric. So if Rayan does appear, he's pulled his finger out, and it's coherent. Narrative management, that's all.

Enjoyed the interview, thanks, Clive.
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 16:20 - Oct 7 with 1659 viewsTK1

"I want to send a message, everyone at the club wants to send a message to the young players..."

I found that a bit of a disappointing answer as to why Leon Scarlett was picked and what he has going for him. Especially as he said it maybe five times without once really saying what quality in particular Scarlett has other than workrate and personality.

I know why he's saying it. If you're good enough, you're old enough, etc, and he's someone other kids can now aspire to be.

I want more. I want a 16/17 year old winger starting ahead of more experienced (and to my eye more accomplished) players to be exceptional. And I want the coach to vocalise that.

We've been here so often before. Most recently with Sutton. But I see a lot of Shopido - stop laughing - in Scarlett. He was a year older at 18 but he made a big impact on his debut against Leeds in a 3-0. JFH said he'd be around the team all season...40-odd games in eight years.

Feels a bit Warbs saying this, but I do think that shirt must be 100% earned and not sent as a message to players we may not have even signed yet. I'm not sure it does us fans nor Scarlett any favours.

Maybe being harsh on JS, but don't like youth as a totem.

Really interesting interview, though. He especially liked your questions, Clive.
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 16:23 - Oct 7 with 1644 viewsNorthernr

Julien Stéphan Interview on 16:20 - Oct 7 by TK1

"I want to send a message, everyone at the club wants to send a message to the young players..."

I found that a bit of a disappointing answer as to why Leon Scarlett was picked and what he has going for him. Especially as he said it maybe five times without once really saying what quality in particular Scarlett has other than workrate and personality.

I know why he's saying it. If you're good enough, you're old enough, etc, and he's someone other kids can now aspire to be.

I want more. I want a 16/17 year old winger starting ahead of more experienced (and to my eye more accomplished) players to be exceptional. And I want the coach to vocalise that.

We've been here so often before. Most recently with Sutton. But I see a lot of Shopido - stop laughing - in Scarlett. He was a year older at 18 but he made a big impact on his debut against Leeds in a 3-0. JFH said he'd be around the team all season...40-odd games in eight years.

Feels a bit Warbs saying this, but I do think that shirt must be 100% earned and not sent as a message to players we may not have even signed yet. I'm not sure it does us fans nor Scarlett any favours.

Maybe being harsh on JS, but don't like youth as a totem.

Really interesting interview, though. He especially liked your questions, Clive.


See, I'm actually alright
4
Julien Stéphan Interview on 16:34 - Oct 7 with 1615 viewsnick_hammersmith

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:41 - Oct 7 by Myke

Cheers Clive, intelligent questions answered intelligently. Two things (and I hear you Brian re Kolli) I think separating injuries from players selection is very telling. At the moment, the blatantly obvious one is Kolli and I would not expect to see him make the match day squad v West Ham. But it also does not spell the end of his QPR career either. JS has been very clear, but also very clever, it is 100% down to the player if he gets included or not.
On the flip side of that, the ‘Standards’ thing is very interesting. JS can impose strict standards on Kolli, as he is on the peripheral of things. But what happens if Dunne lets his standards slip, or Edward’s, or Charles? You can argue that is never going to happen, but that is not my point. If JS is serious about driving up standards (which is music to my ears) then it must be applied to the most important /popular player too, as well as the dispensable.


I think we have to go back to Warburton to see where standards were upheld and not just talked about.

Was he still here when we had the Todd Kane incident?

Anyway, I like to think JS applies the same consistent rules across the whole squad and the captain should be aligned to this.

Now whether he would have bent these beliefs for an Adel, like Warnock did, we may never know!
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:15 - Oct 7 with 1395 viewssimmo

If anybody has sat within 10 feet of me at any point you'll know my biggest issue in football is 'to die wishing'. Southgate against Italy in the Euro final, or against Argentina in the World Cup? Horrific. There's nothing worse than playing scared and causing a negative outcome because you were too worried about what ambition and endeavour might do.

Julien ending the interview talking about how his measure of success is that we finish the season without regrets is absolutely what I want to hear.

Aside from that, I could listen to him talking about football for hours. Superb work, pleased the club sanctioned it and hopefully they allow a lot more.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

14
Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:18 - Oct 7 with 1389 viewsflynnbo

Julien Stéphan Interview on 11:15 - Oct 7 by nix

He does it a lot, a lot, a lot….

I’m a big Francophile though. Years of sighing over Alain Delon and thinking how sophisticated sitting in French cafes seemed back in the day compared to our Wimpys caffs!

Think he likes Clive and Conor though and appreciates them not asking daft questions.


Nix, have you read the Marković Affair? You’d like it as an Alain Delon fan.
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:21 - Oct 7 with 1373 viewssimmo

Also worth adding that although the club is desperate to retain control of the narrative, this kind of access is crucial for building a connection. Same as the Madsen interview last summer.

TAKE US WITH YOU! We're a smarter fanbase than you give us credit for.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

5
Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:22 - Oct 7 with 1369 viewsE17hoop

Excellent listen and clear today Adel wouldn't have got in a Stéphan team.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: System of A Down vs England WC SF

0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:26 - Oct 7 with 1358 viewsnix

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:45 - Oct 7 by Northernr

Or Kone...


Fair point. Maybe Kone’s earned enough brownie points from last season when he was carrying the front line for a number of games. Also he called out Kolli last season for not putting the effort in in training so maybe he’s tougher on him. But I don’t think Kone is getting any more slack either from now on and quite right too!
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:40 - Oct 7 with 1325 viewsNorthernr

Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:15 - Oct 7 by simmo

If anybody has sat within 10 feet of me at any point you'll know my biggest issue in football is 'to die wishing'. Southgate against Italy in the Euro final, or against Argentina in the World Cup? Horrific. There's nothing worse than playing scared and causing a negative outcome because you were too worried about what ambition and endeavour might do.

Julien ending the interview talking about how his measure of success is that we finish the season without regrets is absolutely what I want to hear.

Aside from that, I could listen to him talking about football for hours. Superb work, pleased the club sanctioned it and hopefully they allow a lot more.


This is why Simmo doesn't like playing me at pool.
2
Julien Stéphan Interview on 19:48 - Oct 7 with 1185 viewsPhilmyRs

Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:35 - Oct 7 by Northernr

It's weird, some people have taken it as he's going to be involved, I came away thinking I was more likely to play at West Ham.

We'll find out on Friday I guess.

Apparently (shock horror) Obikwu is injured again so it really is Alfie Lloyd against the world but, in my opinion, the club will try everything it can (up to and including picking Jude the Cat) before it gets to Rayan coming off the bench to a hero's reception from a big away end.


Firstly, really good interview and enjoyed the questions.

But on Kolli, surprised you saw it that way, although conducting the interview you’d have a better insight. Listening and watching, to me at least, sounded like a manager setting up a recall to the squad for Kolli but on the understanding that the injury crisis isn’t a factor, more that he will have earned his place through attitude and hardwork. Good management.

Kolli makes the squad on Friday because of the injury crisis and he suddenly looks like he’s holding a lot of cards. Bringing him back into the fold on the understanding he’s now applying himself and meeting standards sends the right message, when I think pretty clear to us all circumstances will have played a massive role. But fingers crossed it works out.

Good discussion on the growing physicality in the game. While true, he makes a valid point the best club side and international side are also probably the sides blessed with the most technical ability too. All about getting the right balance. Still a place in the game for an Adel..
5
Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:22 - Oct 7 with 1103 viewssimmo

Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:40 - Oct 7 by Northernr

This is why Simmo doesn't like playing me at pool.


You are the Russell Martin of pool players.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

2
Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:22 - Oct 7 with 1100 viewsMyke

Julien Stéphan Interview on 14:35 - Oct 7 by Northernr

It's weird, some people have taken it as he's going to be involved, I came away thinking I was more likely to play at West Ham.

We'll find out on Friday I guess.

Apparently (shock horror) Obikwu is injured again so it really is Alfie Lloyd against the world but, in my opinion, the club will try everything it can (up to and including picking Jude the Cat) before it gets to Rayan coming off the bench to a hero's reception from a big away end.


That’s exactly how I read it. He was VERY clear, there is NO link between injuries and who plays. The latter is based entirely on attitude and hard work. Alfie will lead the line, would be an amazing time to break his duck.
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 21:51 - Oct 7 with 941 viewsLblock

If you didn’t know who was who then there’s one fella who jumps out of the video as missing an Ian Wright/Frank Spencer beret and a string of onions (if volume on mute).

Some nice things to hear - mainly “standards”

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026