Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 18:31 - Mar 4 with 7072 viewsBlackCrowe

Weird first half - both the team and Olly looked completely subdued. Cardiff were really poor and when they scored, a defeat looked a certainty. Substitutions in the second half made all the difference. Got us out of jail.

Nkbagnato (sp) has got one helluva shot on him. Conor good. Smith good. Amazing save from Smithies Luongo headless chicken. Perch is utterly out of his depth - lazy and ungifted.

Cardiff - smallest support i've seen from them at LR. Fair play to them for joining in the minutes applause.

One final thing - whoever the DJ was before the match - good work fella - almost didn't want the team to come out.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just back on 18:51 - Mar 4 with 5293 viewsWadR

Thought I'd add my thoughts.

Lovely tribute at half time and before the match for the league cup winners. Kit looked wonderful, great to hear Lazarus speaking so warmly about the club and the fans. He rightly paid tribute to the job Andy Sinton has done organising the event. As pointed out before, nice to win it from behind too! An apt homage to the 67 side.

Very Championship-y game. First half, atmosphere was rather flat, and other than that little bit of skill and shot against the post from Washington - we didn't really threaten. Sloppy from Hall for Bamba's goal, especially as up until then we'd defended set pieces against a big Cardiff side excellently.

Second half we started dreadfully, Cardiff could've scored once or twice. Kadeem Harris was especially impressive for them down our right and Lynch made an important goal line clearance from Johore. Luongo had a bad spell where he just seemed totally off the pace.

Thought Goss, after a sloppy first 10, was quietly promising but we improved after Yeni came on and the change of shape. Goss has a wonderful cross field ball on him, but he was very keen to pick the ball up very deep and that meant that with Hall also playing in midfield, our shape was pretty poor and there were huge spaces through our centre. Hard to tell where Mackie was supposed to be playing, defensively he seemed to be slotting into a midfield 3 with Luongo and Goss, but I don't think that role gets the best out of him. Switched to 442 after Yeni came on, and we improved as a side. Didn't realise it took a deflection, but it was an excellently taken goal from Yeni anyway after a neat move involving Mackie and Luongo.

From then on, we were comfortably the better side and always looked the more likely to score. Washington's really improved his upper body strength, frequently outmuscled bigger Cardiff defenders.

Thought Lynch marshalled Zohore excellently, would probably be my MOM. Yeni was good when he came on too. Washington worked really hard, unfairly penalised a few times and unlucky not to score in the first half. Hall played well, but probably marked down for being at fault for the goal. Smithies one brilliant save in the first half, couldn't do anything for the goal and made an excellent sweeping header early in the second half too. Thought Luongo bounced back well from a poor personal 15/20 minute spell to be influential in our improvement, key to the first goal, played in Perch for a cross we almost scored from after showing good upper body strength and a deft drop of the shoulder.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2017 18:54]
Just back on 19:00 - Mar 4 with 5194 viewsToast_R

Yeni inspired us.

Subs all worked wonders today, a real good piece of in game management from Ollie.

Goss not bad lfull debut, ooks like he has one hell of a sixpence ball on him. Luongo looks forlorn. Mackie quiet today too. Conor and Smith - tireless.
Just back on 19:03 - Mar 4 with 5168 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 18:51 - Mar 4 by WadR

Lovely tribute at half time and before the match for the league cup winners. Kit looked wonderful, great to hear Lazarus speaking so warmly about the club and the fans. He rightly paid tribute to the job Andy Sinton has done organising the event. As pointed out before, nice to win it from behind too! An apt homage to the 67 side.

Very Championship-y game. First half, atmosphere was rather flat, and other than that little bit of skill and shot against the post from Washington - we didn't really threaten. Sloppy from Hall for Bamba's goal, especially as up until then we'd defended set pieces against a big Cardiff side excellently.

Second half we started dreadfully, Cardiff could've scored once or twice. Kadeem Harris was especially impressive for them down our right and Lynch made an important goal line clearance from Johore. Luongo had a bad spell where he just seemed totally off the pace.

Thought Goss, after a sloppy first 10, was quietly promising but we improved after Yeni came on and the change of shape. Goss has a wonderful cross field ball on him, but he was very keen to pick the ball up very deep and that meant that with Hall also playing in midfield, our shape was pretty poor and there were huge spaces through our centre. Hard to tell where Mackie was supposed to be playing, defensively he seemed to be slotting into a midfield 3 with Luongo and Goss, but I don't think that role gets the best out of him. Switched to 442 after Yeni came on, and we improved as a side. Didn't realise it took a deflection, but it was an excellently taken goal from Yeni anyway after a neat move involving Mackie and Luongo.

From then on, we were comfortably the better side and always looked the more likely to score. Washington's really improved his upper body strength, frequently outmuscled bigger Cardiff defenders.

Thought Lynch marshalled Zohore excellently, would probably be my MOM. Yeni was good when he came on too. Washington worked really hard, unfairly penalised a few times and unlucky not to score in the first half. Hall played well, but probably marked down for being at fault for the goal. Smithies one brilliant save in the first half, couldn't do anything for the goal and made an excellent sweeping header early in the second half too. Thought Luongo bounced back well from a poor personal 15/20 minute spell to be influential in our improvement, key to the first goal, played in Perch for a cross we almost scored from after showing good upper body strength and a deft drop of the shoulder.

Thanks Wad,

That's hugely-detailed report.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just back on 19:10 - Mar 4 with 5097 viewstraininvain

Thought Perch did alright & ended the game quite well. Can't remember him doing too much wrong.
Just back on 19:25 - Mar 4 with 4985 viewskensalriser

Good to hear Yeni's progressing - could be like a new signing.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Just back on 19:26 - Mar 4 with 4983 viewsBromleyHoop

Goss is obviously a very promising player but the role he was asked to play was similar to the role Hall was playing. They were both deep with Hall slotting into a back 5 without the ball. However that tended to leave Luongo and Mackie playing in, what at times looked like, a 4 2 2 2. As a result the focus of our passing tended to be too deep or we just knocked it up to Smith which, at times was successful. As a result the game, early on, tended to by pass Luongo and Mackie. Taking Goss off and putting Ngbakoto on put us playing further forward and we improved. Luongo came into the game more but Mackie continued to be a passenger and he was lucky to stay on the pitch as long as he did.
Washington showed some lovely touches and really grafted. Im getting mildly moist about this squad of players and their potential.

And the moral of the story....I'd say you can only pick one from Hall and Goss in midfield in a 442.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2017 19:33]

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Just back on 19:48 - Mar 4 with 4802 viewsbaz_qpr

Pretty lucky win truth be told, we were terrible first half the strikers were totally isolated from the rest of the team. Hit the post and bar from half chances but otherwise pedestrian, Luongo did his best hiding, goss looked fairly decent. Mackie totally lost in a narrow central midfield 3.
Totally down to Ollie tactics and selection, only came into the game when we went 4-4-2. Luongo and mackie came alive. Lovely goal to equalise. Still important win
Just back on 20:01 - Mar 4 with 4687 viewsGloryHunter

Funny old game. A win that almost felt like a like a defeat. Also odd to hear "Holloway's Blue Army" being sung while we were wearing white, and playing against a team wearing blue. Nice touch from Warnock at the end, applauding all four sides of the ground. Another step towards the magic 50 points I guess.
Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 20:09 - Mar 4 with 4635 viewsDieByYourSide

Just back on 20:01 - Mar 4 by GloryHunter

Funny old game. A win that almost felt like a like a defeat. Also odd to hear "Holloway's Blue Army" being sung while we were wearing white, and playing against a team wearing blue. Nice touch from Warnock at the end, applauding all four sides of the ground. Another step towards the magic 50 points I guess.

That's certainly one way of looking at it!

Poll: And it's hi ho

Just back on 20:27 - Mar 4 with 4517 viewsJamesB1979

Judging by reaction of crowd, I'm clearly in a minority on this but I really don't think Luongo deserves a place on the bench let alone the team. We lose so much urgency with him and when he does do something good he is so indecisive he ends up just losing the ball sometimes. Having said that I think he played a good role in the 1st goal.
2nd one for me is Hall. He is not a midfielder and again lost his man at corner for the goal.

On the other hand, I think Ned puts in solid performances for us yet doesn't seem to be that popular.

Washington and Smith were excellent today.
Just back on 20:52 - Mar 4 with 4358 viewsNW5Hoop

Just back on 18:51 - Mar 4 by WadR

Goss's crossfield ball - there was one lovely 50 yarder.

BUT John Robertson said that before Clough went to Forest, his favourite thing was to play 50 yard crossfield balls, from deep left to forward right. Clough told him those balls were very pretty, but hardly ever accomplished anything, because they give the other side time to get back and close. Robertson said he was right, and he was far more effective when he cut them out.
Just back on 20:56 - Mar 4 with 4335 viewsWadR

Think Bromley's assessment of the midfield mess is spot on. Goss would drop between the two centre backs, receive the ball and players like Hall and Mackie wouldn't really be showing for it because they were playing in positions unfamiliar to them, and so any moves felt pretty disjointed.

Other thing was how heartening it was to see the togetherness of the side (and fans, really). All the players looked so delighted for Yeni, and the collective celebrations after the winner were great to watch - in the Ellerslie/Loft corner - all the outfield players together. Might not be a great team, but it's a likeable team, and a real QPR team I think. I know it's been a bit of a nothing season, but it's a lot more enjoyable to go to QPR at the moment. The atmosphere was so nasty/apathetic, it was genuinely unenjoyable to go in September/October time. Even in a game of such poor quality as today, the crowd were almost universally supportive and felt like a real buzz around LR on FT.

@NW5 - totally agree. It's a ball that is frequently over-praised and frequently in-effective. But, and I may be wrong here, I thought Goss' ball was notable for the fact Bidwell didn't even have to break stride to control it. Any pro footballer should be able to spray a cross field ball, but I think it's a sign of a good one if they can do it THAT accurately. Very early doors for Goss, I think he was forced to play longer balls than he might've liked, because our midfield in front of him was a mess - but I tentatively liked what I saw.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2017 21:00]
Just back on 21:16 - Mar 4 with 4220 viewsNortholt_Rs

Just back on 20:56 - Mar 4 by WadR

Think Bromley's assessment of the midfield mess is spot on. Goss would drop between the two centre backs, receive the ball and players like Hall and Mackie wouldn't really be showing for it because they were playing in positions unfamiliar to them, and so any moves felt pretty disjointed.

Other thing was how heartening it was to see the togetherness of the side (and fans, really). All the players looked so delighted for Yeni, and the collective celebrations after the winner were great to watch - in the Ellerslie/Loft corner - all the outfield players together. Might not be a great team, but it's a likeable team, and a real QPR team I think. I know it's been a bit of a nothing season, but it's a lot more enjoyable to go to QPR at the moment. The atmosphere was so nasty/apathetic, it was genuinely unenjoyable to go in September/October time. Even in a game of such poor quality as today, the crowd were almost universally supportive and felt like a real buzz around LR on FT.

@NW5 - totally agree. It's a ball that is frequently over-praised and frequently in-effective. But, and I may be wrong here, I thought Goss' ball was notable for the fact Bidwell didn't even have to break stride to control it. Any pro footballer should be able to spray a cross field ball, but I think it's a sign of a good one if they can do it THAT accurately. Very early doors for Goss, I think he was forced to play longer balls than he might've liked, because our midfield in front of him was a mess - but I tentatively liked what I saw.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2017 21:00]

I think your assessment is pretty much spot on.

I thought we were much the better side and very unlucky to go in at half time being a goal down - although the marking was non existent for their header. Ollie got the subs just right and we came away with a really valuable win. So well done to him and to the players - a fabulous result especially against that lot.

Now on to the crowd... I was in A block and there were hundreds of empty seats which contributed to the most dreary flat atmosphere. Looked like hundreds of empty seats in Ellerslie too. Given the recent improvement in results I expected a lot more people to show up today.

MoTM for me was Smith. Apart from his goal, he won absolutely everything in the air and kept the Cardiff defence on their toes for the whole game. More of the same please big man!
[Post edited 4 Mar 2017 21:22]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Just back on 21:19 - Mar 4 with 4197 viewsPBLOCK

I thought Goss was our best player for the first 60 mins. What I liked was for a young lad he showed maturity and constantly demanded the ball he reminded me in some ways of Faurlin in his early Rangers days

Hopefully after all the Sh!Te Man U have given us over the years we might have one half decent
Just back on 21:22 - Mar 4 with 4176 viewsTripleR

Just back on 20:27 - Mar 4 by JamesB1979

Judging by reaction of crowd, I'm clearly in a minority on this but I really don't think Luongo deserves a place on the bench let alone the team. We lose so much urgency with him and when he does do something good he is so indecisive he ends up just losing the ball sometimes. Having said that I think he played a good role in the 1st goal.
2nd one for me is Hall. He is not a midfielder and again lost his man at corner for the goal.

On the other hand, I think Ned puts in solid performances for us yet doesn't seem to be that popular.

I have to agree with the post, couldn't understand why Luongo got the nod ahead of Manning.
Just back on 21:33 - Mar 4 with 4112 viewsBlackCrowe

Just back on 20:27 - Mar 4 by JamesB1979

I've been losing faith with Ned lately, but he had a very solid game today. More please.

Just back on 21:44 - Mar 4 with 4046 viewsGloryHunter

Just back on 21:22 - Mar 4 by TripleR

I have to agree with the post, couldn't understand why Luongo got the nod ahead of Manning.

To me, Luongo looked like a player trying to avoid getting injured. I'd imagine a move away is at the back of his mind.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2017 21:48]
Just back on 21:47 - Mar 4 with 4033 viewsTrom

Just back on 19:10 - Mar 4 by traininvain

Thought Perch did alright & ended the game quite well. Can't remember him doing too much wrong.

I'll second that - I thought Perch had a good game too. There were a few comments between my crowd about how he looked much better than earlier in the season.
Just back on 21:55 - Mar 4 with 3973 viewsBlackCrowe

Blimey, truly a game of opinions I thought he looked his usual lacks-a-daisical unreliable self. the odd ok thing in a sea of averageniss/shite.

Just back on 22:07 - Mar 4 with 3908 viewsFDC

Just back on 19:03 - Mar 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks Wad,

That's hugely-detailed report.

Yeah thanks mate, appreciated
Just back on 22:14 - Mar 4 with 3850 viewsShotKneesHoop

How many runs down the right wing did Mark Lazarus make today?

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Just back on 22:23 - Mar 4 with 3797 viewslondonscottish

Noone has mentioned the ref and the lino on Ellerslie Road yet.

No idea why the ref gave 5 mins at the end of the second half. And decided that a challenge to Washington's throat in the box was in any way not to be encouraged.

But more to the point the lino om ER was way out of his depth. At one point in the first half a Cardiff player clearly played the ball about 2 ft out.

Still, not complaining.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Just back on 22:52 - Mar 4 with 3698 viewsDorse

Just back on 21:33 - Mar 4 by BlackCrowe

I've been losing faith with Ned lately, but he had a very solid game today. More please.

I think people get the hump with Ned because they know he can do it and there is a good player rattling round in there somewhere. I dread to think how many games he's played at fullback for us when it is clear to everyone that he just isn't that kind of player. How much more would we be thinking of him if he'd played all his games at centre-back in a three? Or better still, as a vicious man-marker a la Maddix? He has to play a blinder simply for us to ignore him!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Just back on 00:03 - Mar 5 with 3519 viewsnix

Just back on 21:22 - Mar 4 by TripleR

Ollie said in the pre-match press conference that Manning had turned his ankle in training and he wanted to protect him a bit. I think it wasn't so match Luongo per se, just the overall set up was rather defensive with both Goss and Hall playing v deep defensive roles. Also we missed the way Freeman drives forward and Lua Lua causes some havoc in defences. I would like to have seen Furlong rather than Perch in this line up, just because he offers more of a threat going forward. With Perch playing, Harris just felt quite confident pushing up the left without having to worry to much about having to track back.

Having said all that, it was the kind of game I'd expect to have lost having gone a goal down, so it shows that the spirit and resilience in the team has improved. Also, while I don't like diving particularly, if you see the other team getting some stupid free kicks, then you have to join in, and I thought we gave them a bit of a taste of their own medicine at the end of the second half.
Just back on 00:30 - Mar 5 with 3394 viewsDannyPaddox

Just back on 19:10 - Mar 4 by traininvain

Agree Perch had a good game. And I'm not Perch's biggest fan. My eyes R going and half an hour said to mate next to me Furlong's having a good game. To which he replied " he's not playing that's Perch". I literally need to go to opticians. Meant to put you up 1 not down 1.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024