Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hugill 10:02 - Feb 16 with 5132 viewsbosh67

12 goals in 30 games so far. Many of those games from the bench. Not too bad.

Up until yesterday he had scored once from 40 efforts on goal. Credit to the lad for keeping his chin up. If he was more clinical who knows hw many he could have scored? Well, perhaps another 40... However, now he has got an extended run in the team, starting games as the number 1 striker and now he has probably got over not being recalled by West Ham who desperately need all the strikers they can get, and hopefully now we are just a little safer, he can relax and just get his average of goals to chances up.

One thing I like about him is that he's always there. He never seems to give up. He finds the runs, the spaces and gets on the end of things. His seeming inability to convert enough has obviously hampered his progress at higher levels but he is still 27 and if he can work on his finishing then who knows.

I certainly like this type of player in the team. We have some very clever ballers in this team but you do also need that big bloke who puts himself about, roughs up a backline and gets into scoring positions. He also has a decent attitude.

With Zamora it was interesting. So many injuries and issues when he came to us. His Ohhh Bobby Zamora thing was almost ironic as a chant when it started. It was more of a surprise reaction to him actually getting involved in play. And then it grew and it helped him become a better player. The more many of us doubters got behind Zamora the more it rubbed off on him and the better and more influential he became in games.

I feel Hugill needs that same backing from the fans. I feel that the more support he gets the better he will play for us. Yes, he is on loan and unlikely to come back but I think he can become a better player with the fans properly behind him. I'm not saying shout Ohhh Bobby Zamora at him. That would just be weird! But a walking in a Hugill wonderland or suchlike chant may help him score us a lot more goals in the last part of the season.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Hugill on 10:09 - Feb 16 with 2894 viewsnix

He was great yesterday. Worked really hard, did a lot of the dirty work, winning back balls, linking play, holding the ball up and defending when he was needed.

Clearly he would be in the Prem if he could convert more chances but he's just what we need at the moment.

Nice touch from MW to take him off at the end to have a standing ovation. I think his man management is excellent.
Hugill on 10:10 - Feb 16 with 2882 viewsAgedR

I thought it was his best game for us yesterday and was my MOM. He looks like a real pain for the centre halves.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Hugill on 10:12 - Feb 16 with 2865 viewsloftboy

I like Hugill, as I said earlier in the week if he converts all his chance he wouldn’t be here, he adds the bit of muscle that we lack compared to team like Preston, I wouldn’t be adverse to keeping him next season if we could afford him ( doubtful I know).

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Hugill on 10:14 - Feb 16 with 2862 viewsdavman

I like him, but some of his "finishing" has been woeful this season. The work rate goes someway towards balancing that, but, as Clive says, if that is what £5-6m buys you in the Championship, we are screwed.

Some of the Eze money will have to be spent on a permanent forward. Is £5m worthwhile on Hugill, or do we do a couple of £3m gambles? Not East thing to fix on our budget, is it?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Hugill on 10:24 - Feb 16 with 2811 viewsfrancisbowles

Hugill on 10:14 - Feb 16 by davman

I like him, but some of his "finishing" has been woeful this season. The work rate goes someway towards balancing that, but, as Clive says, if that is what £5-6m buys you in the Championship, we are screwed.

Some of the Eze money will have to be spent on a permanent forward. Is £5m worthwhile on Hugill, or do we do a couple of £3m gambles? Not East thing to fix on our budget, is it?

It's not just the fee that they would want but the wages that he would accept. The combined amount would quickly eat up profit from selling one of ours.

Out of a price range. We need to be taking risks with cheaper, lower league potential talent.
Hugill on 10:30 - Feb 16 with 2775 viewsTGRRRSSS

Middling Championship player - I don't think anyone could deny his uses, but he has his militations - that said his overall goal tally isnt bad at all - but lets not get over excited.
Nice to do a double for the season though.
Hugill on 11:59 - Feb 16 with 2661 viewsrsonist

I like him. IMO he's certainly better than middling if used correctly.

Not saying the market isn't silly but the fee West Ham paid was a panic outlier and it's not his fault that it completely distorts the conversation around him.

That said, he was very important to Preston and was in demand when signed despite never having been a prolific scorer. You judge a target man by his all round contribution - occupying markers, buying time, leading the press and defending from the front - what he allows players around him to do. Within that rubric he is above average I think (Preston who we often credit for their recruitment still haven't really found a solution to not having him). If he's isolated he will look a bit of a carthorse, but then a finisher will just look classily anonymous instead (as some of us pretend to forget Wells did many times).

Finances depending I'd be fine with us spending around £3m on him. Sure his finishing is often well, suboptimal (though if it were good he'd be Diego Costa changing hands for god knows what). Personally I'd miss him a bit if he wasn't around. As Dorse has noted the bloke is absolutely daft as a brush - there's something very Reeves & Mortimer about him - and even his misses have a charming absurdity sometimes .... in retrospect.
Hugill on 12:08 - Feb 16 with 2625 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He held the ball up so well. Better than almost any target man I can remember playing for us in a long time.
Login to get fewer ads

Hugill on 12:21 - Feb 16 with 2572 viewsgazza1

I would not question Hugill's effort & work rate, commitment, attitude in general and I think he deserves a place in the side but I think he has limited ability in terms of control and scoring goals.

My view, rightly or wrongly is I think we need better. Is he worth £5-6,000,000 I am not sure. Will he get 20 goals this season - he could well do that now that Wells has left us.

What I am sure about is our focus must be, in the summer, on getting a striker or two for next season so that they can feed off our good play.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 12:22]
Hugill on 12:27 - Feb 16 with 2546 viewsfrancisbowles

Hugill on 11:59 - Feb 16 by rsonist

I like him. IMO he's certainly better than middling if used correctly.

Not saying the market isn't silly but the fee West Ham paid was a panic outlier and it's not his fault that it completely distorts the conversation around him.

That said, he was very important to Preston and was in demand when signed despite never having been a prolific scorer. You judge a target man by his all round contribution - occupying markers, buying time, leading the press and defending from the front - what he allows players around him to do. Within that rubric he is above average I think (Preston who we often credit for their recruitment still haven't really found a solution to not having him). If he's isolated he will look a bit of a carthorse, but then a finisher will just look classily anonymous instead (as some of us pretend to forget Wells did many times).

Finances depending I'd be fine with us spending around £3m on him. Sure his finishing is often well, suboptimal (though if it were good he'd be Diego Costa changing hands for god knows what). Personally I'd miss him a bit if he wasn't around. As Dorse has noted the bloke is absolutely daft as a brush - there's something very Reeves & Mortimer about him - and even his misses have a charming absurdity sometimes .... in retrospect.

He is reported to be on around £40k a week, which is circa £2Mil a year so a three year contract means £6 million on top of fee. Not going to be much of the money left from selling Eze or whoever.

If he was on a quarter of the wages, then maybe but he is not really going to agree to that, is he?

Another loan at best, if we can't find cheaper and more suitable options, otherwise we can't afford.
Hugill on 12:29 - Feb 16 with 2539 viewsTacticalR

This is what I said on the preview before the Swansea game:

'I think we need to adapt our game for Hugill because he does not have the same repertoire as Wells. Even though Hugill is a good hold-up man, I think Hugill (like Cissé) needs the ball on the floor (as played to him away at Sheffield Wednesday) or pacy crosses to score.'

Just because he is a big guy doesn't mean we can just whack everything in his general direction. He seems to be better with the ball on the ground (i.e. not just a big lump who flings himself at everything).

Those floated balls from Eze that worked for Wells are not going to work. Even those pinpoint crosses from Clark are not going to work without pace.

Agree that the guy is irrepressible and the misses never seem to get him down.

Air hostess clique

Hugill on 12:31 - Feb 16 with 2523 viewsgazza1

Hugill on 12:27 - Feb 16 by francisbowles

He is reported to be on around £40k a week, which is circa £2Mil a year so a three year contract means £6 million on top of fee. Not going to be much of the money left from selling Eze or whoever.

If he was on a quarter of the wages, then maybe but he is not really going to agree to that, is he?

Another loan at best, if we can't find cheaper and more suitable options, otherwise we can't afford.

Ludicrous money.....can't be factual - where do you get such information??
Hugill on 12:32 - Feb 16 with 2519 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hugill on 12:21 - Feb 16 by gazza1

I would not question Hugill's effort & work rate, commitment, attitude in general and I think he deserves a place in the side but I think he has limited ability in terms of control and scoring goals.

My view, rightly or wrongly is I think we need better. Is he worth £5-6,000,000 I am not sure. Will he get 20 goals this season - he could well do that now that Wells has left us.

What I am sure about is our focus must be, in the summer, on getting a striker or two for next season so that they can feed off our good play.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 12:22]

His goal scoring rate is better than anyone else at 12 goals (just under 1 in 2). This is only three less than Wells who seems to get the plaudits.

The lack of goals is a bit of a myth, probably because he has missed some high profile sitters. We can’t afford to dismiss 12 goals with 3 months left.

I predict he’ll score 20+ goals. If this happens I also think people will still say he doesn’t score because we like a punchbag don’t we.

Jordan Hugill
198 mins per goal

Eberechi Eze
265 mins per goal

Bright Samuel
338 mins per goal

Ilias Chair
478 mins per goal

Grant Hall
810 mins per goal

Luke Amos
716 mins per goal

Ryan Manning
1350 mins per goal
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 12:53]
Hugill on 12:33 - Feb 16 with 2518 viewssmegma

Hugill on 10:10 - Feb 16 by AgedR

I thought it was his best game for us yesterday and was my MOM. He looks like a real pain for the centre halves.

I must've heard about 10 people say he is schit yesterday. He's our top scorer FFS. Get behind him, he may not be here in August , make the most of him. Yesterday was why I love football/QPR . Our first double of the season, let's hope that continues in two weeks. All the doom and gloom merchants must be gutted this weekend eh ??
Hugill on 12:36 - Feb 16 with 2494 viewsEastR

Had an excellent game yesterday and never stops trying. Most likeable thing about him is he's not Washington.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Hugill on 12:39 - Feb 16 with 2474 viewsfrancisbowles

Hugill on 12:31 - Feb 16 by gazza1

Gazza, I don't know any of this as a fact. As I said reported, which is basically saying a rumour. However, we do know that he went to a premier league club for a sizeable fee and that probably means substantial wages. I don't think this wage would be unusual for a premier league striker. Even if he is only on half of what I said, I would think the sums still make him outside our budget.
Hugill on 12:43 - Feb 16 with 2461 viewskensalriser

Isn't he the best striker we've had since we sold Austin, bar Wells?

And he's all we've got.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hugill on 12:47 - Feb 16 with 2443 viewssmegma

Hugill on 12:43 - Feb 16 by kensalriser

Isn't he the best striker we've had since we sold Austin, bar Wells?

And he's all we've got.

Goals wise yes. One thing I wanted to see this season was him and Wells start together but it's not to be now.
Hugill on 13:04 - Feb 16 with 2394 viewsstevec

Keeps two centre half’s busy all game which stops sides pushing up on us.

I like a centre forward who leaves the pitch covered in mud.
Hugill on 13:10 - Feb 16 with 2375 viewsNorthernr

Hugill on 13:04 - Feb 16 by stevec

Yeh he's old school isn't he. A game boy.
Hugill on 13:21 - Feb 16 with 2336 viewsDavieQPR

Hugill on 12:31 - Feb 16 by gazza1

Sons teammate went on to sign for Spurs and was on £20k as an 18 yr old.
Hugill on 13:26 - Feb 16 with 2308 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hugill on 13:04 - Feb 16 by stevec

And he got tangled up in the net.

Not enough of that these days.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hugill on 13:56 - Feb 16 with 2227 viewsHarbour

Great performance mom for me. Worked his socks off took his goal well could have had another. Very vocal geed the team when we went 2 down and when we went 3-2 up. Defended when needed never stopped working.. well done Jordan
Hugill on 14:19 - Feb 16 with 2177 viewsCamberleyR

Hugill on 10:24 - Feb 16 by francisbowles

It's not just the fee that they would want but the wages that he would accept. The combined amount would quickly eat up profit from selling one of ours.

Out of a price range. We need to be taking risks with cheaper, lower league potential talent.

Yep, we need to be scouting the next Nahki Wells circa 2011 when he was at Bradford.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Hugill on 14:26 - Feb 16 with 2149 viewsNorthantsHoop

Think Hugill has been a very successful loan signing. He gets stuck in and has scored some vital goals. He has a good go at roughing up defenders, which you need to do in the Championship. Finishing is a bit suspect at times to say the least, but his attitude and persistence offers us a lot up front and expect he is going to get to the 20 goal mark this season. Shame we can't sign him but there is no way we are going to pay the fee and pay wages he expects. Probably similar to Wells position as a shop window for other Championship clubs who have the finances.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024