Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments 09:20 - Oct 30 with 2413 viewsbosh67

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/highlights/highlights-qpr-1-nottingham-forest-1-301

To be honest on the balance of play probably the right result but...

To give away a goal in the final minutes once is unfortunate, twice is careless and three times is unforgivable. To be fair we did try and see it out and Dunne was very unlucky, but the end of game management is so poor. Perhaps someone should show the coaching staff and squad old games involving Alan MacDonald, Steve Wickes and Glenn Roeder where the policy was to put everything on the line and put the ball in row f*cking Z for the last 5+ minutes. I spent the last 5 minutes of the game screaming at the TV close them down, get to them, but they were a yard off.

I remember the much maligned James Perch putting absolutely everything in front of a ball and players to see out a match a number of seasons ago. He refused to come off despite actually having a dislocated knee. Gary Waddock regularly used to put his body on the line when it was in pieces at the end of games. It's time to put the stats iPad down and simply instil that to see out a game you have to just put everything in front of everything and when in doubt smash it into the back of the stands. It's not pretty but it gets you points.

Here, we are in serious danger of dropping out of contention for a play-off place if we don't learn and confidence will also go. This is a decent squad but it needs coaching that sees out these types of games in the most industrial fashion. Just be ugly, bullish and bloody minded.

I am a huge fan of Warburton, Eustace and the coaching staff but they have to hold their hands up and stop saying we have to look after the ball better because the ball looks after itself if its whistling past the heads of fans at the back of stands. I seriously think they need to watch old games where our defending style in latter stages was as I say, industrial.

[Post edited 30 Oct 2021 9:22]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 09:29 - Oct 30 with 2372 viewsStreathamRanger

As I saw it, we didn't look after the ball well enough in the last 10. Too many times we just pumped it back to the forest defenders to start another attack. I'm not sure sticking it in row z, although that's my own personal defending style, is the answer in the modern game. You just concede possession and the opposition can build another attack.

I agree about closing players down. We do seem to have a bit of a weakness letting players cut inside and having plenty of time to measure a shot. Albert was class last night but he got done like that a couple of times last night, understandably as he's not really a defender.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 09:43 - Oct 30 with 2326 viewstraininvain

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 09:29 - Oct 30 by StreathamRanger

As I saw it, we didn't look after the ball well enough in the last 10. Too many times we just pumped it back to the forest defenders to start another attack. I'm not sure sticking it in row z, although that's my own personal defending style, is the answer in the modern game. You just concede possession and the opposition can build another attack.

I agree about closing players down. We do seem to have a bit of a weakness letting players cut inside and having plenty of time to measure a shot. Albert was class last night but he got done like that a couple of times last night, understandably as he's not really a defender.

Agreed. We dropped deeper and deeper without any real outlet when we did have possession. Our lack of pace going forward meant Forest didn’t have to worry too much about the counter attack.

We were unfortunate that two subs needed to be made for injuries in the first half as we could have done with getting Gray on for the last 10-15 minutes to have a bit of pace on the break and keep Forest honest at the back.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 10:06 - Oct 30 with 2267 viewsfrancisbowles

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 09:43 - Oct 30 by traininvain

Agreed. We dropped deeper and deeper without any real outlet when we did have possession. Our lack of pace going forward meant Forest didn’t have to worry too much about the counter attack.

We were unfortunate that two subs needed to be made for injuries in the first half as we could have done with getting Gray on for the last 10-15 minutes to have a bit of pace on the break and keep Forest honest at the back.

Dozell and Johansen not quick enough to spot the danger and close down Colback (spelling?)
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 10:15 - Oct 30 with 2227 viewsStreathamRanger

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 10:06 - Oct 30 by francisbowles

Dozell and Johansen not quick enough to spot the danger and close down Colback (spelling?)

From the look of Johansen's desperate lunge I'd suggest it was perhaps his man although Dozzell had also dropped quite deep in with the CBs for no apparent reason. Can't be too harsh on either of them as they'd got through an awful lot of good work last night. Slight lapses in concentration can cost you though.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 10:37 - Oct 30 with 2188 viewsdmm

What I found completely gutting from the highlights was that Seny would have comfortably saved Colback's shot had it not been for Dunne's deflection. Unlucky in the extreme. I feel we deserved the win.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 10:54 - Oct 30 with 2148 viewsAntti_Heinola

I saw countless games with Macca in the team where we shifted late and stupid goals. Rose-tinted specs there, although of course Macca was an international class defender and our back three are second tier defenders.
I actually didn't have a problem with the last 10. We defended well, it was very tough with Dykes only one leg, but we restricted them to a few long range pops and they didn't get behind us. Booting into Row Z doesn't really help. Just gives them the ball back.

Bare bones.

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:01 - Oct 30 with 2138 viewsnix

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 10:15 - Oct 30 by StreathamRanger

From the look of Johansen's desperate lunge I'd suggest it was perhaps his man although Dozzell had also dropped quite deep in with the CBs for no apparent reason. Can't be too harsh on either of them as they'd got through an awful lot of good work last night. Slight lapses in concentration can cost you though.

I thought it was Dozzell's as he wasn't marking anyone and our central defenders were already covering the players/space in the box. Johansen seemed to be covering the space in front of a Forest player, but saw Dozzell had switched off and tried to cover for him at the last minute.

That said, we were desperately unlucky with the deflection at that stage in the match.

I don't think it would show on the TV but our players were on their knees at the end. Albert had worked his knackers off and Dykes clearly was carrying a knock and could hardly run, which hampered his ability to take the ball into corners. Normally we'd have brought Austin on as he's so good at managing the end of games but we'd been unlucky to have injuries so early on.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:17 - Oct 30 with 2104 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 10:06 - Oct 30 by francisbowles

Yes I just spotted that. I think Johansen was watching the other player outside the box. Dozzell and Dykes were just inside, too far from Callback!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:35 - Oct 30 with 2047 viewsBklynRanger

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:01 - Oct 30 by nix

I thought it was Dozzell's as he wasn't marking anyone and our central defenders were already covering the players/space in the box. Johansen seemed to be covering the space in front of a Forest player, but saw Dozzell had switched off and tried to cover for him at the last minute.

That said, we were desperately unlucky with the deflection at that stage in the match.

I don't think it would show on the TV but our players were on their knees at the end. Albert had worked his knackers off and Dykes clearly was carrying a knock and could hardly run, which hampered his ability to take the ball into corners. Normally we'd have brought Austin on as he's so good at managing the end of games but we'd been unlucky to have injuries so early on.

All true Nix yeah. In fact the phase that led up to the goal (as I remember it anyway, will watch the highlights) involved Albert busting a gut to run it the whole way up the line, not getting the throw in, smacking the ground and then looking to catch his breath as he got back.

Unfortunately Dickie, who had done great reading and putting in vital tackles, then tried to hit Albert again when he was barely back in position and definitely not ready to receive the ball. Their defender puts in a thumping header and it's right back on top of us.

Ironically I think at that moment Rob would have been better treating it like a line out and smacking it as far as he could down their right - give us a chance to reset and move up. Anyway I'm still not ready to see that deflection. Maybe after a beer this afternoon...
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:35 - Oct 30 with 2045 viewsfrancisbowles

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 10:15 - Oct 30 by StreathamRanger

Yes they both did very well last night and the lapse is understandable, as Johansen still seems to be struggling a bit with that 'injury' and Dozell hasn't played that many 90's. Like others have said we ran out of subs.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:38 - Oct 30 with 2035 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:17 - Oct 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yes I just spotted that. I think Johansen was watching the other player outside the box. Dozzell and Dykes were just inside, too far from Callback!

I think it's a very hard one to pin on any player. I've watched it back and forth and back and forth, and I'm still undecided.

JoJo is watching 26. Maybe he could have switched to Colback but I think that's subjective.

Dozzell, Dickie and Moses are 3-on-3 on 14, 17 and 20 in the build-up. No problems there, maybe Dozzell could have read the the cross as being ours and rushed to meet the second ball, but again I think that's subjective.

If anything, the problem comes from us being overloaded on the near post from the original cross.

Dykes being injured may have stopped him coming across with more urgency too.

I wouldn't be singling anyone out on this - it's a collective, this one, I would say.

And unlucky.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:45 - Oct 30 with 1994 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:38 - Oct 30 by BrianMcCarthy

I think it's a very hard one to pin on any player. I've watched it back and forth and back and forth, and I'm still undecided.

JoJo is watching 26. Maybe he could have switched to Colback but I think that's subjective.

Dozzell, Dickie and Moses are 3-on-3 on 14, 17 and 20 in the build-up. No problems there, maybe Dozzell could have read the the cross as being ours and rushed to meet the second ball, but again I think that's subjective.

If anything, the problem comes from us being overloaded on the near post from the original cross.

I wouldn't be singling anyone out on this - it's a collective, this one, I would say.

And unlucky.

Yes agreed. My comment was just an observation - not singling anyone out for blame. It was just unfortunate and 9 times out of 10 the same scenario probably wouldn’t have ended in a goal.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2021 11:46]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:46 - Oct 30 with 1987 viewsHordleHoop

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:38 - Oct 30 by BrianMcCarthy

And unlucky.

I thought Amos was slow drifting into left back slot to stop cross coming in. Could’ve snuffed out the trouble before it started. That said the shot evaded 4 players on the route to goal, just plain bad luck! ☹️
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:56 - Oct 30 with 1950 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 11:45 - Oct 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yes agreed. My comment was just an observation - not singling anyone out for blame. It was just unfortunate and 9 times out of 10 the same scenario probably wouldn’t have ended in a goal.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2021 11:46]

Sorry, Clive, wasn't aiming at any poster in particular. Just musing!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 00:01 - Oct 31 with 1687 viewsHastings_Hoops

In response to the OP; I recall a number of similar last minute come backs in Alan McDonalds day - off the top of my head;

Arsenal 1-1 QPR (August 1991)
QPR 2-2 Chelsea (Sept 1991)
QPR 1-1 Man United (1996)

…it’s always been the way and always will be with QPR!
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 08:18 - Oct 31 with 1552 viewsstevec

Think the club should organise designated sections of the ground, particularly if we can’t get it into the lower loft, where fans are actively encouraged to lob the ball from fan to fan until the added time has expired.

Gives our players a well earned breather too, so a win win situation.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 09:28 - Oct 31 with 1468 viewsfrancisbowles

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 00:01 - Oct 31 by Hastings_Hoops

In response to the OP; I recall a number of similar last minute come backs in Alan McDonalds day - off the top of my head;

Arsenal 1-1 QPR (August 1991)
QPR 2-2 Chelsea (Sept 1991)
QPR 1-1 Man United (1996)

…it’s always been the way and always will be with QPR!

Oh please don't remind us of that Sept 91 nightmare, surrounded their mob in SA Rd watching f*ckin Andy Townsend and someone else( I don't need to know) levelling our two goal lead.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 15:11 - Oct 31 with 1302 viewsPinnerPaul

There were a few moments that could have been managed better.

Seny got closed down, whilst strangely switching the ball to his poorer foot, couple of needless Barbet fouls and even Dykes' lob wasn't needed with SJ nearby, who wasn't impressed by that.

Needed to get Albert or Willock on the ball and just run with it, in the modern game that's difficult to counter without committing a foul - of course that's easy to write, less easy to instigate.

As Clive and others have said, a draw probably 'fair' but a deflected goal conceded in the 91st minute is never going to feel 'fair'!
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 16:04 - Oct 31 with 1251 viewsSK_hoops

Just reading the report in the football league paper.

Seny, Jojo and Dozzell all got 6's. Thought that was a bit harsh! Thought Johanson was tied with MOTM with Adomah, who to be fair got an 8.
Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 22:22 - Oct 31 with 1132 viewsHastings_Hoops

Extended highlights on the offish plus a few choice comments on 09:28 - Oct 31 by francisbowles

Oh please don't remind us of that Sept 91 nightmare, surrounded their mob in SA Rd watching f*ckin Andy Townsend and someone else( I don't need to know) levelling our two goal lead.

Dennis wise from close range.
I was 11, it was my 3rd ever QPR match and I’ve never trusted a two goal lead ever again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024