Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
40 years since we lost Dave Clement 07:43 - Mar 31 with 3090 viewsQPRSteve

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/features/remembering-dave-clement-310322/

Had me in tears reading that. One of my all time favourite players. Just five England caps was criminal.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 10:25 - Mar 31 with 2465 viewsPunteR

Thanks for posting Steve. Dave Clement was before my time of supporting QPR but it's good to look back and read about the QPR greats. Tragic he took his own life. RIP

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 10:44 - Mar 31 with 2423 viewsRs_Holy

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 10:25 - Mar 31 by PunteR

Thanks for posting Steve. Dave Clement was before my time of supporting QPR but it's good to look back and read about the QPR greats. Tragic he took his own life. RIP

He was a world class defender... If he was around today he would have signed for one of the big clubs and been a multi-millionaire.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 10:48 - Mar 31 with 2418 viewsflitwickhoop

Before my time too as I was born in 85 but reading that had me welling up. Will certainly be asking my Dad about his time with us, fantastic servant to the club. Will never be forgotten.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 10:59 - Mar 31 with 2401 viewsslmrstid

We were linked with his son Neil Clement numerous times but it never happened. Sure I read more than once that he didn't want to play for us due to his Dad's history with the club. No idea if true of course!
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 11:03 - Mar 31 with 2399 viewsted_hendrix

Back then Dave Clement was one of the players whom you needed/wanted to see on the team sheet when you got to the ground.
As a defender he had the lot, everyone has an opinion and that's fine but Dave Clement was easily our best right back of all time.

Reading that feature brought back memories of those days supporting Rangers.

All too sad---RIP Dave Clement.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 11:09 - Mar 31 with 2385 viewsRs_Holy

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 11:03 - Mar 31 by ted_hendrix

Back then Dave Clement was one of the players whom you needed/wanted to see on the team sheet when you got to the ground.
As a defender he had the lot, everyone has an opinion and that's fine but Dave Clement was easily our best right back of all time.

"Dave Clement was easily our best right back of all time"... 100% this! He was a Rolls Royce of a player.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 11:38 - Mar 31 with 2360 viewsfrancisbowles

It isn't mentioned but Dave was a youth team player with us around the time we had a successful side that won the south east counties youth league and were runners up twice. They also drew a final of the Southern Junior Floodlit cup with Spurs.

I don't know what part Dave played in this as he was very young when he made his debut, 17 I think, perhaps CamberleyR or Terryb may have more info.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 12:18 - Mar 31 with 2318 viewsNorthantsHoop

Lucky enough as a youngster to see Dave Clement play for Rangers a few times during the 1970s. What a tremendous defender he was. Devastating news when he took his own life and remember going to the memorial match at Loftus Road a week or so before the 1982 Cup final.
Login to get fewer ads

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 12:21 - Mar 31 with 2305 viewsPinnerPaul

Fantastic player.

Amazing to think he appeared in the first team with Les AND Clive Allen!
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 12:35 - Mar 31 with 2289 viewsextratimeR

Wonderful player, great pace, really a modern day full back, as mentioned got forward, very attacking, ( and hard as nails).

The best full back I have seen down here.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 12:38 - Mar 31 with 2284 viewsMyke

Best right back ever. That he only won six caps was absurd, but was a recurring theme with so many off those players, Parkes, Gillard etc. I remember once (can't remember the year and I THINK v Switzerland) when England put out the entire Liverpool team. I also THINK it finished 0-0. Obviously we had McLintock, Masson, Givens, but my word if you got 7 or 8 of those lads on the pitch together, you would have had some team - never happened
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 12:39 - Mar 31 with 2285 viewsterryb

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 11:38 - Mar 31 by francisbowles

It isn't mentioned but Dave was a youth team player with us around the time we had a successful side that won the south east counties youth league and were runners up twice. They also drew a final of the Southern Junior Floodlit cup with Spurs.

I don't know what part Dave played in this as he was very young when he made his debut, 17 I think, perhaps CamberleyR or Terryb may have more info.

I'm sure many others could give you more information than me FB, but Dave Clement was one of many England youth internationals in the '60's.

Without career ending injuries, we could have fielded a back four that all came through our youth scheme - Dave Clement, Ron Hunt, Frank Sibley, Ian Gillard. Two fabulous full backs, but don't underestimate how good the centre halves were. Sibley in particular would have achieved great things & IMO would have replaced either McLlintock or Webb in the Jago/Sexton team.

I recall Alec Stock saying that his biggest regret was not winning the FA Youth Cup in the mid 60's where we reached the semi final two or three seasons running.

Of course I'm biased, as being a child of their time, but I must agree with Ted that Dave Clement reigns supreme as our best right back.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 12:40]
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 12:48 - Mar 31 with 2254 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I’m just watching this now. An interview with Ian Gillard with Clips of Dave.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 13:09 - Mar 31 with 2230 viewsCamberleyR

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 12:38 - Mar 31 by Myke

Best right back ever. That he only won six caps was absurd, but was a recurring theme with so many off those players, Parkes, Gillard etc. I remember once (can't remember the year and I THINK v Switzerland) when England put out the entire Liverpool team. I also THINK it finished 0-0. Obviously we had McLintock, Masson, Givens, but my word if you got 7 or 8 of those lads on the pitch together, you would have had some team - never happened

It was September 1977 and it was Ron Greenwood's first game as caretaker manager as he still was then (didn't get the job permanently until December 1977 without even being interviewed but that's another matter entirely) and yes it was against Switzerland and yes it finished 0-0.

Greenwood was Liverpool obsessed. He picked Clemence, Neal, Hughes, McDermott, Kennedy and even a 35 years old Ian Callaghan in the starting XI, eleven years after his last cap. Keegan also played though by then he was a Hamburg player having moved after the European Cup final.

The only surprise was that Jimmy Case wasn't called up as well. There's a famous photo of them all posing in their England training gear.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 13:09 - Mar 31 with 2229 viewsdmm

It still astonishes me today how much of a dream Clement and Gillard were as our fullbacks. We've had some great fullbacks since then but I'm not sure we've had a better pair than those two.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 13:30 - Mar 31 with 2161 viewsMyke

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 13:09 - Mar 31 by CamberleyR

It was September 1977 and it was Ron Greenwood's first game as caretaker manager as he still was then (didn't get the job permanently until December 1977 without even being interviewed but that's another matter entirely) and yes it was against Switzerland and yes it finished 0-0.

Greenwood was Liverpool obsessed. He picked Clemence, Neal, Hughes, McDermott, Kennedy and even a 35 years old Ian Callaghan in the starting XI, eleven years after his last cap. Keegan also played though by then he was a Hamburg player having moved after the European Cup final.

The only surprise was that Jimmy Case wasn't called up as well. There's a famous photo of them all posing in their England training gear.

Cheers Camberley, at least a few of my memory banks are still in working order
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 13:43 - Mar 31 with 2143 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Seen him play many times but too young to really appreciate how good he was.

Lovely reading the tributes on the Offy and on here.

Hope he's resting in peace and happiness.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 13:48 - Mar 31 with 2143 viewsHarbour

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 11:03 - Mar 31 by ted_hendrix

Remember seeing Dave and Ian Gillard as a 14 year old standing in the loft. Thinking back always was exciting watching Dave sprint down the wing. At the time probably never appreciated how good a player was. RIP Dave a true Rangers Legend.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 14:54 - Mar 31 with 2067 viewsCamberleyR

I've posted this before but I think it's worth sharing again. It dates from about late 1977/early '78 as his older son Paul features and looks to be about 5 or 6 (his other son Neil didn't come along until late 1978).

It shows he speaks really well about the game and I think he could have had either a successful coaching career or done something on the administration side as he was the QPR PFA rep at the time.

Such a massive tragedy that he thought that taking his life was the only way out of his depression. Mental health problems like that were brushed under the carpet at the time.

Edit: I've just found out from reading Neil Clement's Wiki page that his stepdad after his mum remarried is none other than our ex keeper Mike Kelly! I never knew that.

[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 15:02]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 15:10 - Mar 31 with 2008 viewsBrianMcCarthy

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 12:48 - Mar 31 by CliveWilsonSaid

I’m just watching this now. An interview with Ian Gillard with Clips of Dave.

Beautiful interview.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 16:35 - Mar 31 with 1903 viewsQPRSteve

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/remembering-dave-clement/
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 16:54 - Mar 31 with 1884 viewsqprphil

I can honestly say the best right back I've seen at Rangers. I watched him come through the ranks at QPR, he was a real tough defender, and gave everything in every game,.We sure had some talent back then coming through. I might go as far as to say one of the best full backs I've ever seen, and watching that side back then was an honour every week to watch. Alas a really tragic ending to his life.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 17:00 - Mar 31 with 1879 viewsdmm

40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 14:54 - Mar 31 by CamberleyR

I've posted this before but I think it's worth sharing again. It dates from about late 1977/early '78 as his older son Paul features and looks to be about 5 or 6 (his other son Neil didn't come along until late 1978).

It shows he speaks really well about the game and I think he could have had either a successful coaching career or done something on the administration side as he was the QPR PFA rep at the time.

Such a massive tragedy that he thought that taking his life was the only way out of his depression. Mental health problems like that were brushed under the carpet at the time.

Edit: I've just found out from reading Neil Clement's Wiki page that his stepdad after his mum remarried is none other than our ex keeper Mike Kelly! I never knew that.

[Post edited 31 Mar 2022 15:02]

I never knew that about Mike Kelly either. Quite a surprise actually.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 22:08 - Mar 31 with 1694 viewsStanFan

Top top player. The best and most complete full back I've seen.
A someone has already said, he was a very modern fullback, getting forward and scoring or creating goals.
But he was also a brilliant defender. I particularly remember how good he was at tackling.
40 years since we lost Dave Clement on 23:27 - Mar 31 with 1638 viewsnumptydumpty

Pretty certain the pub they were in is the Norreys Barn in Wokingham.

Ian Gillard and Phil Parkes lived in Wokingham then and as five years old in nearby shops, Ian Gillard gave me QPR Club Badge Panini sticker as he was married to one my dinner ladies at school.

My dad used go in that pub.

Wow.

Such a sad end to his life, Mental Health not talked about then.

From the video, Clements was coming across very controlled.

Brilliant and sad wrapped up as one.

Just ordinary wages back then.

Crikey how life has changed !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024