Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report 15:39 - Dec 12 with 5022 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/59116
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:21 - Dec 12 with 2668 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks - difficult to argue with much of that.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:22 - Dec 12 with 2672 viewseastside_r

Well there’s not a word of that I’d disagree with.

My depressingly miserable sentiments exactly.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:25 - Dec 12 with 2665 viewsBurnleyhoop

Embarrassing is the word. I had to sit there watching with Burnley supporting friends and family as we surrendered meekly to an exciting, motivated, well drilled, yet newly formed Burnley team. I had no words or excuses to describe the gulf between the two teams. Yes, Burnley pulled in £70 million in player sales during the summer, but £60 million of that was needed to pay off debts due to their relegation. Spend on players was no more than 6-8 million, but the way Kompany has recruited and moulded this team after 20 games is hugely impressive.

We started the season well enough, but Beale has a lot to answer for with regard to the mental collapse of this team. It will be really interesting to see just what influence Critchley has on this lot, starting with Preston on Saturday. His first job is to put out a team that will fight for their lives as a bare minimum.

As for Willock, he said he was well up for the Burnley game, but looked totally disinterested. Just what the hell is going on with him?
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:31 - Dec 12 with 2619 viewscolinallcars

You could have called it In The Midwinter - Bleak Report and it would have been just as apposite.
A truly dreadful day all round.
The new Gaffer will be a real hero to turn things around.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:50 - Dec 12 with 2535 viewstoboboly

Completely agree. How Tim wasn't pulled at half time I will never know, he improved 2nd half but I'd have lined him up against a wall in front of a firing squad for that first 45.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:52 - Dec 12 with 2536 viewsnix

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:25 - Dec 12 by Burnleyhoop

Embarrassing is the word. I had to sit there watching with Burnley supporting friends and family as we surrendered meekly to an exciting, motivated, well drilled, yet newly formed Burnley team. I had no words or excuses to describe the gulf between the two teams. Yes, Burnley pulled in £70 million in player sales during the summer, but £60 million of that was needed to pay off debts due to their relegation. Spend on players was no more than 6-8 million, but the way Kompany has recruited and moulded this team after 20 games is hugely impressive.

We started the season well enough, but Beale has a lot to answer for with regard to the mental collapse of this team. It will be really interesting to see just what influence Critchley has on this lot, starting with Preston on Saturday. His first job is to put out a team that will fight for their lives as a bare minimum.

As for Willock, he said he was well up for the Burnley game, but looked totally disinterested. Just what the hell is going on with him?

According to Transfermarkt they spent €24 million on players this season as well as expensive loan signings. It's a bit easier to meld players together when you're paying top dollar, which is what this is in Championship terms.

I agree with you though about Critchley , it'll be interesting to see what he manages to do with team spirit. It certainly seems to have gone over a cliff after the Beale fiasco, together with the belief of the fans.

Fighting for their lives would be a massive step forward and I've got a feeling that's something Critchley can manage, which is why I preferred him to other candidates.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:53 - Dec 12 with 2532 viewsJigsore

Blimey. Just as well we're all Moroccan now anyway
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 16:53]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:01 - Dec 12 with 2495 viewsngbqpr

While agreeing with pretty much all of this, please forgive me for re-posting what I put in the match thread - this one’s on Beale.

Yes they’re professionals, yes they’re elite sportsmen, yes they’re well paid etc etc - but it’s a workplace for a bunch of mostly 20 something employees who’ve seen a confident, ambitious, smart talking new 40 something boss waltz in, sell them a dream, do the whole project / honesty & integrity / all-in bit…then f**k off after a few weeks.

Impossible job for an interim manager, flipping difficult for the incoming permanent one.

I have no idea how Critchley will do, I wish him the very best of luck.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Login to get fewer ads

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:29 - Dec 12 with 2386 viewstraininvain

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:50 - Dec 12 by toboboly

Completely agree. How Tim wasn't pulled at half time I will never know, he improved 2nd half but I'd have lined him up against a wall in front of a firing squad for that first 45.

I thought Tim was far too deep in the first half to have any real impact on the game. But at least he put in a few tackles and was probably lucky not to get booked.

Anyone else feel that Tim would be better used in a more advanced role as he looks at his best taking on players in the opposition half. Feels a bit of a waste having him sat in front of the back four.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:30 - Dec 12 with 2379 viewsPinnerPaul

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 16:22 - Dec 12 by eastside_r

Well there’s not a word of that I’d disagree with.

My depressingly miserable sentiments exactly.

Well being me I'll disagree with one word!, Cardiff 16th best team at home in this league v us 12th best away team, can't be seen as very difficult, much as I know none of us would feel over confident of beating their u18s at the moment - but you get my drift, there are many theoretical tougher away games than that.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:33 - Dec 12 with 2360 viewstoboboly

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:29 - Dec 12 by traininvain

I thought Tim was far too deep in the first half to have any real impact on the game. But at least he put in a few tackles and was probably lucky not to get booked.

Anyone else feel that Tim would be better used in a more advanced role as he looks at his best taking on players in the opposition half. Feels a bit of a waste having him sat in front of the back four.

I viewed it the other way - he was marking the invisible man that first half, ducked out of a few tackles and didn't want the ball.

They were all far too deep, if Field is in front of the CB's then whoever else needs to push up 20 odd yards.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:44 - Dec 12 with 2338 viewsterryb

Not much to argue with there Clive. I thought that Dozell was our best player in the first half, but it was a very low bar!

I'm also in agreement that Shodipo was our MOM. I doubt that many of us would have considered that a possibility this season. Dunne & Clarke-Salter looked as if they have never trained together, let alone played alongside each other.

However, my biggest concern was our two loanees. Iroegbunam looked totally disinterested for every second of the game & Laird for most of them. Of the starting eleven, only Paal, Dozell, Field & Dykes could leave the pitch with any semblance of self respect!

I was surprised to read that it should have been a penalty in the first minute as that was not evident from the back row of the Upper Loft. This match report is the only thread I have read of the game & I certainly have no inclination to watch any "highlights"!
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 17:48]
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:51 - Dec 12 with 2316 viewsYokelR

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:44 - Dec 12 by terryb

Not much to argue with there Clive. I thought that Dozell was our best player in the first half, but it was a very low bar!

I'm also in agreement that Shodipo was our MOM. I doubt that many of us would have considered that a possibility this season. Dunne & Clarke-Salter looked as if they have never trained together, let alone played alongside each other.

However, my biggest concern was our two loanees. Iroegbunam looked totally disinterested for every second of the game & Laird for most of them. Of the starting eleven, only Paal, Dozell, Field & Dykes could leave the pitch with any semblance of self respect!

I was surprised to read that it should have been a penalty in the first minute as that was not evident from the back row of the Upper Loft. This match report is the only thread I have read of the game & I certainly have no inclination to watch any "highlights"!

Something very wrong at the club if we've still got a coach who thinks there is a player in Thomas that warrants a starting place? We need a clear out of personnel whose judgement is to sign duds like him and Bonne.
As for the playing staff I hope the new manager sits them down today and makes them watch that crap yesterday and tells them the least the fans deserve is that they try.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 18:11 - Dec 12 with 2248 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:33 - Dec 12 by toboboly

I viewed it the other way - he was marking the invisible man that first half, ducked out of a few tackles and didn't want the ball.

They were all far too deep, if Field is in front of the CB's then whoever else needs to push up 20 odd yards.

Thank God someone else had seen what I saw yesterday. He looked like didnt want to be there, jogging around. I can see him going back to Villa in January.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 18:14 - Dec 12 with 2238 viewsPinnerPaul

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:44 - Dec 12 by terryb

That last paragraph applies to me from T block as well.

Also live I didn't see Burnley player 'own up' either, looked a pretty obvious foul live - obviously wasn't.

Didn't understand the angst from crowd and players when Burnley player moved in the way of kick from Seny. Yes, as per LOTG, Seny was 'in possession' as he was releasing the ball, but ref gave the FK, so what was the problem - no reason/justification for a yellow card there, so not sure what the problem was?
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 18:34 - Dec 12 with 2179 viewsWegerles_Stairs

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:51 - Dec 12 by YokelR

Something very wrong at the club if we've still got a coach who thinks there is a player in Thomas that warrants a starting place? We need a clear out of personnel whose judgement is to sign duds like him and Bonne.
As for the playing staff I hope the new manager sits them down today and makes them watch that crap yesterday and tells them the least the fans deserve is that they try.

Warburton got the bullet for suggesting Ferdinand and his 'super-coaches' weren't the greatest. Beale clearly though the same thing, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Critchley.

While Shodipo deserves credit for his cameo, I do think it's incredible that none of our 'super-coaches' have managed to teach him how to cross a ball. Still, he's only 25.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 18:56 - Dec 12 with 2119 viewstraininvain

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 18:14 - Dec 12 by PinnerPaul

That last paragraph applies to me from T block as well.

Also live I didn't see Burnley player 'own up' either, looked a pretty obvious foul live - obviously wasn't.

Didn't understand the angst from crowd and players when Burnley player moved in the way of kick from Seny. Yes, as per LOTG, Seny was 'in possession' as he was releasing the ball, but ref gave the FK, so what was the problem - no reason/justification for a yellow card there, so not sure what the problem was?

I can’t speak for everyone but I was frustrated with the goal kick incident because it wasn’t the first time that Burnley had committed a tactical foul to stop us getting further up the pitch. A clever Guardiola tactic that Kompany has adopted at Burnley.

It’s street wise game management that we can only dream of seeing with our team of nice lads. But a better ref would’ve picked up on it and booked a Burnley player. This ref finally booked one of them for a tactical foul in the last 5 minutes. Typical!
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 19:19 - Dec 12 with 2051 viewsNorthernr

I think the thing people were pissed off with about that, other than just being generally pissed off about everything by that point, is Dieng was trying to get a quick counter attack away. If the striker had tripped him, he'd have been booked, but because he blocked him, he's not - same difference, you're fouling the goalkeeper to stop the break away, but a different punishment.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 19:22 - Dec 12 with 2018 viewsstainrods_elbow

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 17:01 - Dec 12 by ngbqpr

While agreeing with pretty much all of this, please forgive me for re-posting what I put in the match thread - this one’s on Beale.

Yes they’re professionals, yes they’re elite sportsmen, yes they’re well paid etc etc - but it’s a workplace for a bunch of mostly 20 something employees who’ve seen a confident, ambitious, smart talking new 40 something boss waltz in, sell them a dream, do the whole project / honesty & integrity / all-in bit…then f**k off after a few weeks.

Impossible job for an interim manager, flipping difficult for the incoming permanent one.

I have no idea how Critchley will do, I wish him the very best of luck.

My view would be quite the converse. It was the players (Clarke-Salter, Dunne, Johansen, Willock) who were taking to social media and the club's official channels post-Beale to tell us they were 'focussed', they were professionals, were getting fitter, and were up for getting back on track etc. etc. As it turns out, surprise surprise, it was all just more weasel words that make mugs of fans. The outcome was a stand-in manager (and obviously nice guy) telling the official website they lacked 'honesty' and desire and (significantly, and for me impressively) need to show some respect for the supporters. What a total f*cking embarrassment! I really lost respect for the squad for their shambolic pissing-away of the last of our promotion prospects under Warburton, and now I'm losing respect for this supposedly augmented one.

If I were Critchley, I'd be reading the riot act th the players from the start and performing a root and branch review of the entire footballing operation. If Willock's not fit, get him into rehab, obtain daily reports on his progress, make the medical staff do their job properly, and report back in one month. If he's playing within himself while hoping for a move, drop him as a last resort. Ditto the over-hyped Jojo, who's more of a liability than a talisman these days. If the loanees are as half-arsed about being here as they look, and sadly now that malaise seems to have spread to Laird, they should be returned to their parent clubs in January.

I agree with the view that the lack of goals in the side is a massive concern. Dykes is, I think, unimproveable, and Armstrong is raw potential but still goal-shy. Apart from that, what/who do we have? If I hear one more iteration of the excuse (sorry, Clive) that the reason we haven't been able to field a competent striker at this level in living memory is FFP, I'll conclude there's no hope for us as a fanbase.

There are far too many people at QPR (the visibly complacent Dieng, the apparently alienated Willock, and I'd better not mention you know Hoo) who are in a comfort zone and have been for far too long, and that is, in my view, in large part why we see what we see, both this season and last, as a fundamental and apparently insuperable spinelessness, gutlessness and half-arsedness that basically, to repeat because it needs repeating, treats the supporters as mugs. If the fans themselves can't see this and hold the club accountable, whether we're managed, managerless, or being managerially shafted, I'm sorry, but we're also part of the problem.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 19:24]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 19:56 - Dec 12 with 1973 viewsnix

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 18:56 - Dec 12 by traininvain

I can’t speak for everyone but I was frustrated with the goal kick incident because it wasn’t the first time that Burnley had committed a tactical foul to stop us getting further up the pitch. A clever Guardiola tactic that Kompany has adopted at Burnley.

It’s street wise game management that we can only dream of seeing with our team of nice lads. But a better ref would’ve picked up on it and booked a Burnley player. This ref finally booked one of them for a tactical foul in the last 5 minutes. Typical!

This is the thing: the talented teams that play nice football also use every trick in the book to gain a competitive advantage. Burnley are no different, just like Bournemouth last season. It helps that refs tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, either cos of their rep for pretty football or their recent Prem pedigree, they tend to get the rub of the green. They break up other teams' rhythm and stop them attacking quickly by throwing the ball away for free kicks, having long discussions with the ref, going down with fake head injuries, stopping the goalie from taking a quick throw or kick to catch them out of position, diving, breaking up promising attacks etc. Every time they don't get booked for cynical tricks, they gain a bit of an advantage.

Yesterday it' was obvious with the free kick that led to their first goal, but it makes a difference in every single match it happens in by allowing them to always have more momentum than the other team. I know we're supposed to want our players to be like saints but TBH I'm a bit sick of us being mugs and I quite hope Critchley isn't quite so honourable.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 20:09 - Dec 12 with 1925 viewsParkRoyalR

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 19:22 - Dec 12 by stainrods_elbow

My view would be quite the converse. It was the players (Clarke-Salter, Dunne, Johansen, Willock) who were taking to social media and the club's official channels post-Beale to tell us they were 'focussed', they were professionals, were getting fitter, and were up for getting back on track etc. etc. As it turns out, surprise surprise, it was all just more weasel words that make mugs of fans. The outcome was a stand-in manager (and obviously nice guy) telling the official website they lacked 'honesty' and desire and (significantly, and for me impressively) need to show some respect for the supporters. What a total f*cking embarrassment! I really lost respect for the squad for their shambolic pissing-away of the last of our promotion prospects under Warburton, and now I'm losing respect for this supposedly augmented one.

If I were Critchley, I'd be reading the riot act th the players from the start and performing a root and branch review of the entire footballing operation. If Willock's not fit, get him into rehab, obtain daily reports on his progress, make the medical staff do their job properly, and report back in one month. If he's playing within himself while hoping for a move, drop him as a last resort. Ditto the over-hyped Jojo, who's more of a liability than a talisman these days. If the loanees are as half-arsed about being here as they look, and sadly now that malaise seems to have spread to Laird, they should be returned to their parent clubs in January.

I agree with the view that the lack of goals in the side is a massive concern. Dykes is, I think, unimproveable, and Armstrong is raw potential but still goal-shy. Apart from that, what/who do we have? If I hear one more iteration of the excuse (sorry, Clive) that the reason we haven't been able to field a competent striker at this level in living memory is FFP, I'll conclude there's no hope for us as a fanbase.

There are far too many people at QPR (the visibly complacent Dieng, the apparently alienated Willock, and I'd better not mention you know Hoo) who are in a comfort zone and have been for far too long, and that is, in my view, in large part why we see what we see, both this season and last, as a fundamental and apparently insuperable spinelessness, gutlessness and half-arsedness that basically, to repeat because it needs repeating, treats the supporters as mugs. If the fans themselves can't see this and hold the club accountable, whether we're managed, managerless, or being managerially shafted, I'm sorry, but we're also part of the problem.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 19:24]

Don't suppose Critchley's got someone in his coaching staff with a GCSE in IT who could re-build our website and ticketing portal?

Hav'nt heard Hall's post-match comments but sounds to me like the fella knows how to fluff the fans (was it 20 odd players he was touting to Northern as having come through the Academy set-up), now digging out the players and it seems Willock of all people, a bloke who never hides, will be interesting to see how Critchley gets on with Hall and our academy team.

I'll judge Hoos on sorting out that web-site and Hall & Co when they start producing some talent through Heston.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 20:28 - Dec 12 with 1890 viewsManinBlack

I agree with everything in the report and a lot of the comments.

We have always been a soft touch, we see that every time we play clubs in poor form, or a striker struggling to score for his team, we always help them out. We don't try and refereee games like Rooney used to do, even Messi was getting at the ref for Argentina last week. We are just so nice and obliging.

We might consider ourselves better than Rotherham for example but last month Rotherham led 2-1 at Turf Moor. 12 minutes of world Cup stoppage time allowed Burnley to nick it 3-2 but at least the Millers gave everything. What did we give yesterday?

I worry that the last 3 months of last season and our form since November is actually our normal form and the good first half of last season and start to this was down to us playing out of our skins which we can't keep up.

Lots of work for Critchley as the losing mentality is well and truly back. It is something that seems to come round at some point every single season, no matter who the manager or players are.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 20:48 - Dec 12 with 1842 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks Clive.

Agree with all of that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 21:27 - Dec 12 with 1760 viewsDamo1962

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 18:11 - Dec 12 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Thank God someone else had seen what I saw yesterday. He looked like didnt want to be there, jogging around. I can see him going back to Villa in January.

What has the Villa lad contributed since he has been here? Rarely hear his name mentioned during matches. Laird was doing well, but if he can't be arsed...send him back and give Kakay another go.
In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 21:32 - Dec 12 with 1738 viewsDamo1962

In the Bleak Midwinter - Report on 19:56 - Dec 12 by nix

This is the thing: the talented teams that play nice football also use every trick in the book to gain a competitive advantage. Burnley are no different, just like Bournemouth last season. It helps that refs tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, either cos of their rep for pretty football or their recent Prem pedigree, they tend to get the rub of the green. They break up other teams' rhythm and stop them attacking quickly by throwing the ball away for free kicks, having long discussions with the ref, going down with fake head injuries, stopping the goalie from taking a quick throw or kick to catch them out of position, diving, breaking up promising attacks etc. Every time they don't get booked for cynical tricks, they gain a bit of an advantage.

Yesterday it' was obvious with the free kick that led to their first goal, but it makes a difference in every single match it happens in by allowing them to always have more momentum than the other team. I know we're supposed to want our players to be like saints but TBH I'm a bit sick of us being mugs and I quite hope Critchley isn't quite so honourable.

Me too.Time to get ugly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024