Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. 18:31 - Jan 20 with 5147 viewsBoston

Tension in the air!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 18:44 - Jan 20 with 5001 viewsHunterhoop

This quote reported on BBC, is pretty much how I saw it. Cook MoTM and by far the best player on the pitch.

“It was a very important victory for us, we needed that. I'm very pleased with not only the guys at the top (of the pitch) but (Steve) Cook for instance, after some games out, played an outstanding game in my opinion with Jake (Clarke-Salter).

"I'm very pleased with Sam (Field) and Jack (Colback) in the middle, they did a good job and also Lyndon Dykes in this role as a number 10, he combined really well and did a lot of good things."
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 18:50 - Jan 20 with 4944 viewsBoston

I found it interesting that Andy Sinton had given a dressing room pep talk.

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 18:56 - Jan 20 with 4829 viewsJimthehip

I do really like marti. It's how you can see what he's trying to do even when it doesn't work. I think he's pragmatic, intelligent and does have a style you can clearly see he's trying to implement
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 18:56 - Jan 20 with 4840 viewsJamesB1979

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 18:50 - Jan 20 by Boston

I found it interesting that Andy Sinton had given a dressing room pep talk.

I think that’s class from Marti. He doesn’t go over board (not on social media( but subtly goes along and shows what matters about QPR. We’re lucky to have him.
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 18:57 - Jan 20 with 4826 viewsnumptydumpty

Millwall did Jack sh*t.

But i think our defending today was superb.

Best defensive performance for a very long time. Whether that was Millwall effectively still in the dressing room and not turning up to the party.

I like to think it was the central defenders and centre mids snuffing out everything.

Only chance was a poor mistake by Begovic from a weak shot.

They didn't have many corners but never in danger.

Now that is something to build on.

What we have to experience is we have to keep our key players fit.

This has been the disasters that have happened many times in recent seasons.

FINGERS EXTREMELY FIRMLY CROSSED...

Well done Marti though also. Top man.
[Post edited 20 Jan 18:58]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 19:05 - Jan 20 with 4733 viewsToast_R

Wonder how different things may have been had we signed Cook in the that Jan 2022 window?
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 19:09 - Jan 20 with 4689 viewsBoston

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 18:56 - Jan 20 by Jimthehip

I do really like marti. It's how you can see what he's trying to do even when it doesn't work. I think he's pragmatic, intelligent and does have a style you can clearly see he's trying to implement

Someone needs to have a word with him about his pants.

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 20:13 - Jan 20 with 4389 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 19:09 - Jan 20 by Boston

They were...snug, weren't they?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 20:24 - Jan 20 with 4311 viewsFDC

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 19:09 - Jan 20 by Boston

Ha ha, thought the same. He's been through some quite interesting wardrobe developments over the past few weeks. Today was a mistep for sure, borderline indecent in fact, and rightfully booked for it
[Post edited 20 Jan 20:25]
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 21:28 - Jan 20 with 4090 viewsAntti_Heinola

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 20:24 - Jan 20 by FDC

Ha ha, thought the same. He's been through some quite interesting wardrobe developments over the past few weeks. Today was a mistep for sure, borderline indecent in fact, and rightfully booked for it
[Post edited 20 Jan 20:25]

If he keeps us up, he can wear those pants every day, and in my house, if he wants. Or not wear them at all.

Anyway, he's clearly the best thing to happen to our club since Eze.

Bare bones.

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 21:42 - Jan 20 with 3988 viewscpgerber

When was the last time we had a game with 0 bookings? Very good position to be in going into the next game with no suspensions or injuries (apart from Smyth). Can really build on that.

There's a saying that you can only be as good as your opponent allows you to be. Could well be an explanation for Millwall not looking particularly good.
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 07:55 - Jan 21 with 3407 viewsdmm

Cifuentes' post match press room interview

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 08:13 - Jan 21 with 3349 viewsenfieldargh

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 21:42 - Jan 20 by cpgerber

When was the last time we had a game with 0 bookings? Very good position to be in going into the next game with no suspensions or injuries (apart from Smyth). Can really build on that.

There's a saying that you can only be as good as your opponent allows you to be. Could well be an explanation for Millwall not looking particularly good.

Millwall were poor as they were at their place as were Sheff Wed & Cardiff.

Yes I know we have been garbage but we were doing ok for a few games. Squad paper thin and key players need to be available. We really threw points away

Chair, Willock(although off the pace 2nd half) Cook, Colback, JCS , Cannon need to remain fit and available for us to keep momentum going.

As for transfers Millwall had Fleming £2m+, Nisbet 500K-£2m(?) and they were really poor.

Love Marti love him preaching humility to the players.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 11:07 - Jan 21 with 2870 viewsBoston

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 20:13 - Jan 20 by BrianMcCarthy

They were...snug, weren't they?

As the Aussies would say, 'budgie smugglers.'

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 11:42 - Jan 21 with 2761 viewsNW5Hoop

Very glad we won, but does anyone really think we actually played well? That was a very poor game between two poor sides. The ball was given away constantly, by both sides. Yes, our defenders got to lots of things, but so often the ball went straight up in the air, forcing a second attempt to clear. The passing around the back and then back to Begovic often ended up in a long hoof, surrendering possession yet again. Millwall were just awful – we didn't need to be great to win. Good job, too.
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 11:50 - Jan 21 with 2716 viewsPhilmyRs

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 11:42 - Jan 21 by NW5Hoop

Very glad we won, but does anyone really think we actually played well? That was a very poor game between two poor sides. The ball was given away constantly, by both sides. Yes, our defenders got to lots of things, but so often the ball went straight up in the air, forcing a second attempt to clear. The passing around the back and then back to Begovic often ended up in a long hoof, surrendering possession yet again. Millwall were just awful – we didn't need to be great to win. Good job, too.

For me, the simple difference was that we wanted it more, which incidentally was the same reason Wall won the Boxing day fixture. In terms of performance, and as alluded to by the Manager, the importance of the game and nerves around it clearly hampered our play. Very difficult to pass out from the back and when confidence is low and it’s a game you can’t afford to lose. We do have a bit of confidence now and a win next week takes us out the bottom 3 so interested in how we do playing wise although worry the situation we find ourselves in and the importance of the game may make for another ugly performance, but if we win, who cares.
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 11:54 - Jan 21 with 2692 viewsMrSheen

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 11:42 - Jan 21 by NW5Hoop

Quite. Though the first goal came from Willock's cross, I though our right side was a shambles in possession for most of the game. Cannon looked a bag of nerves and hardly put a pass right while Willock looked unfit and sluggish even by recent standards and did nothing to protect him out of possession. He should have been hooked long before he was and Albert was actually an upgrade in keeping the ball and pinning their full back to his own half, though the game was effectively killed by the second goal. The mood was really turning ugly before the first goal and I hate to think what would have happened without it. It was extremely well worked by Dykes to peel off into that space (Millwall didn't work him out until half time) and delivered by Willock, but it bore no resemblance to what had happened before. Fortunately they were worse.
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 11:56 - Jan 21 with 2679 viewscpgerber

I think the level of play was as good as you could expect. Two teams from the bottom half of the 2nd tier. If it was flowing attacking moves from one end of the other with slick passing and clever interplay, we'd be in the premier league. Same goes for the quality of players at this level: anyone good enough would be sucked into the pool of 500-600 players in the PL.

We can expect a few games of above average football, but not great football every weekend from us (or the opposition), that is unrealistic for where we are. The best we can hope for is determined performances, a good game plan and doing some basics right.

I found it a thoroughly enjoyable match to watch, for all its shortcomings.
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 12:40 - Jan 21 with 2579 viewsAntti_Heinola

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 11:54 - Jan 21 by MrSheen

Quite. Though the first goal came from Willock's cross, I though our right side was a shambles in possession for most of the game. Cannon looked a bag of nerves and hardly put a pass right while Willock looked unfit and sluggish even by recent standards and did nothing to protect him out of possession. He should have been hooked long before he was and Albert was actually an upgrade in keeping the ball and pinning their full back to his own half, though the game was effectively killed by the second goal. The mood was really turning ugly before the first goal and I hate to think what would have happened without it. It was extremely well worked by Dykes to peel off into that space (Millwall didn't work him out until half time) and delivered by Willock, but it bore no resemblance to what had happened before. Fortunately they were worse.

Poor runs don't end with a 6-0 thrashing of someone playing like Pep's Barcelona.

Bare bones.

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 19:45 - Jan 21 with 2191 viewsNW5Hoop

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 12:40 - Jan 21 by Antti_Heinola

Poor runs don't end with a 6-0 thrashing of someone playing like Pep's Barcelona.

Straw man, there. No one is expecting us to play like we could beat Pep’s Barça 6-0. But you could be forgiven for reading comments here and elsewhere and come away thinking it was a really good performance with several outstanding individuals, and neither of those things are true.
Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 10:11 - Jan 22 with 1914 viewsTheChef

Well I suppose the fact we've no money for players means he's having to get funky with his team selections - and let's face it no one before him would have thought of dropping Dykes back, but hey it seems to work!

Ultimately though we're only likely to get wins with that XI out on the pitch every week (Smyth probably for Willock though) and if we can get the first goal in those games.

Otherwise, forget about it.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Marti's Post Match Thoughts. on 10:30 - Jan 22 with 1878 viewsloftus77

Yep - look, don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased and its a weird feeling on Monday morning to remind myself that we won a game of football. But perhaps some underestimate just what an achievement it would be from here if Marti delivered 21st place or above in May. I'd start ordering bronze supplies now.

Our squad is wafer thin, it would take the lightest of runs of injury to render it a L1/L2 outfit. So much would have to go right consistently (referee decisions, injuries, lucky deflections) and continually wrong for our nearest rivals (many of whom have are strengthening in the window). Historically extremely unlikely. Not going to happen (in my, blue January-fuelled, humble opinion)

But Monday morning still feels better.
[Post edited 22 Jan 11:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024