Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1st Awayday & Memories 11:26 - Mar 3 with 2686 viewspaulparker

Found the John Byrne goal against Watford in the Milk cup the other day , which was my first ever away day , I cant believe that was 31 years ago
what struck me was the walk past the allotment and that Watford had square programmes even at a young age I thought what a sh1thole this is
I can just about recall Barron saving Barnes penalty and byrnes great finish
and that standing in the away end was brilliant, especially the daft lads jumping up and down with a QPR union Jack

anyone else recall their first away day ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

1st Awayday & Memories on 11:51 - Mar 3 with 2370 viewsCamberleyR

Pretty sure mine was a 2-0 win at Scumford Bridge in April 1980. It was a midweek game and it was my 15th birthday a couple of days before and was a birthday treat. Went with my dad and a workmate of his and his son who were ch*ls** fans. Sat in the newish main stand which back then made the rest of the ground even more of a shit hole than it actually was. The filth were going for automatic promotion and were riding high at the time but we put a spoke in their wheel. They ended up missing out on promotion on goal difference

Goals scored by Martyn Busby and (Sub Today) Steve Burke.

Thanks to qprnet.com the team that day was :
Woods
Shanks
Gillard
McCreery
Wicks
Roeder
Goddard
Waddock
Busby
Currie
Burke

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

1st Awayday & Memories on 12:02 - Mar 3 with 2348 viewsdaveB

Arsenal must have been my first as my Mums family were all Arsenal fans so they took me one year. We sat by the corner flag near the away end in the Arsenal section. Mark Falco put us 1-0 up and I had been warned not to celebrate so I stood and desperately held in punching the air, I stood out as I was the only one standing so Mark Falco gave me the V sign whilst QPR fans behind the goal pointed over to our section and let us know the score and that we all bankers.

First time in the actual away end must have been Selhurst Park against Charlton, couldn't see a thing and we lost which is a pattern that has followed on away days ever since.
1st Awayday & Memories on 12:07 - Mar 3 with 2342 viewspaulparker

1st Awayday & Memories on 12:02 - Mar 3 by daveB

Arsenal must have been my first as my Mums family were all Arsenal fans so they took me one year. We sat by the corner flag near the away end in the Arsenal section. Mark Falco put us 1-0 up and I had been warned not to celebrate so I stood and desperately held in punching the air, I stood out as I was the only one standing so Mark Falco gave me the V sign whilst QPR fans behind the goal pointed over to our section and let us know the score and that we all bankers.

First time in the actual away end must have been Selhurst Park against Charlton, couldn't see a thing and we lost which is a pattern that has followed on away days ever since.

I was there as well daveB , I was in the seats to the left of the clock stand
about 5 of us were celebrating Falco's scuffed effort,
that was the game the rangers fans were giving Adams dogs abuse with the Hee haw chants and singing adams is a donkey, before you guessed it he scores the fcuking equaliser
I also saw the funniest thing in the warm up , Trevor Francis smashed this ball at about 60 mph and it hit this arsenal lad leaning on the barrier square straight in the face and he went flying

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

1st Awayday & Memories on 12:31 - Mar 3 with 2304 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Tottenham away mid-to late-70s.

It was a really hot sunny day. I can't remember the score but I came away from the day delighted I didn't support Spurs. The walk from and to Seven Sisters station was an utter, utter cow!

I've only been back the once since then. The walk and a five-nil drubbing has somewhat put me off the wretched place.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

1st Awayday & Memories on 13:38 - Mar 3 with 2239 viewsJuzzie

FA Cup semi-Final 1982.

Got permission from my art teacher to bunk off so I could get down to LR to get a ticket for me and my Dad.

We got to the ground late and stood right at the back of the North Bank on the left hand side. I was 15 and I'm not the tallest person in the world so could hardly see so spent most of the game jumping up and down.

Saw the build up to the goal but not the goal itself so only knew we scored when our half of the ground went balmy, as then did I.

I went to 10 home games (no away) the following season then our first season back in the 1st Division I think I went to Spurs (lost 3-2) in Nov 83 so that could have been my first away League game.

Definitley went to West Ham (the Clive Allen 2-2 game - I was in the home end!) and Arsenal (won 2-0).
1st Awayday & Memories on 13:39 - Mar 3 with 2239 viewsSnipper

9th January 1979, Fulham away in the FA Cup 3rd round. It was a midweek game as it was postponed on the Saturday coz of the weather.
A mates dad brought his son, a Fulham fan, and myself. I was giving my mate loads of stick saying how we were going to knock them out. He had the last laugh though as we had our customery defeat in the cup.
We were in the Hammersmith end and it kicked off before and during the game. The only good thing about that night was the Wimpy on the way home.
1st Awayday & Memories on 13:49 - Mar 3 with 2209 viewsFDC

Away at The Dell, the first game after our 4-1 win at Old Trafford on TV. In my foolish young mind we were now a great team, and would nonchalantly sweep Southampton aside. We lost, obviously, and I learned an important lesson about QPR that day.
1st Awayday & Memories on 14:18 - Mar 3 with 2187 viewsMoonshineSteve

April 77, White Hart Lane. We wore our Feyenoord total football away kit, played 5h1te and lost 3-0. Wasn't great.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Login to get fewer ads

1st Awayday & Memories on 14:27 - Mar 3 with 2170 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Same as yours, PP! At least I think so. I may have been brought to an away game as a toddler before we moved to Ireland in '75, but probably not. So the first game after we moved back again in '85 within striking distance after work was Watford away in the Cup.

I went on my own and knew no-one even to say hello to. Like you I remember the first trip through the allotments and being surprised that I had no choice but to walk with everybody else. I had a chat with a friendly constable to politely inform him that I would head away under my own stem, but thanks a million all the same. That ended predictably. So off we all trotted.

Remember nothing at all about the game. If you could post a link to that goal, I'd love to see it, please.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1st Awayday & Memories on 14:28 - Mar 3 with 2166 viewsMoonshineSteve

1st Awayday & Memories on 13:49 - Mar 3 by FDC

Away at The Dell, the first game after our 4-1 win at Old Trafford on TV. In my foolish young mind we were now a great team, and would nonchalantly sweep Southampton aside. We lost, obviously, and I learned an important lesson about QPR that day.

I was at that one. They got a free kick outside our area and we were standing behind the goal, in line with where the free kick was. As the Southampton player lined up to take it, my mate said "That's that Shearer bloke they're all going on about isn't it? Can't see what the fuss is about, he's done f all so far."

1-0.

1st Awayday & Memories on 14:31 - Mar 3 with 2159 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1st Awayday & Memories on 14:28 - Mar 3 by MoonshineSteve

I was at that one. They got a free kick outside our area and we were standing behind the goal, in line with where the free kick was. As the Southampton player lined up to take it, my mate said "That's that Shearer bloke they're all going on about isn't it? Can't see what the fuss is about, he's done f all so far."

1-0.

I remember nothing about that game, just the session. and very little of that.

There were 17,000 of us down there that day.

Maybe more.

1st Awayday & Memories on 14:34 - Mar 3 with 2150 viewsMoonshineSteve

Take it back. I was at that one, but the Shearer incident was at another poxy loss at The Dell I also had the misfortune to attend.

1st Awayday & Memories on 14:51 - Mar 3 with 2128 viewsToast_R

8 December 1990, away to Wimbledon - got spanked 3-0. QPR simply didn't turn up. Neither did many of our fans that afternoon, they used to have to two pens of terracing on that away end at Plough Lane and only one of them was open and it was barely two thirds full.

Not only was it my first away game but it was also my first QPR game. Used to live in Merton so it was a walk to get there. I was 10.
1st Awayday & Memories on 15:13 - Mar 3 with 2084 viewsBoston

Same as asking about my first home game, sorry to say I don't recall my first away fixture, too young, too many matches. Different world in the early 70's, little paranoia so would f off on the trains and buses anywhere...as long as you were home before it got dark.
Also attended games with my mates and their dads in the 60's, I know we went to a number of grounds, but again little recollection of the days events, mainly concentrated on whether we were getting hamburgers and chips to be truthful.
Was at most of the matches mentioned above, but was already an old fart by then.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

1st Awayday & Memories on 18:17 - Mar 3 with 2000 viewsHayesender

1983 Chelsea away.

My mum wouldn't let me go because of the Chelsea fans reputation, so I asked if I could go red bus rovering instead.

She agreed, and I red bus rovered to Fulham Broadway 😉

Poll: Shamima Beghum

1st Awayday & Memories on 18:30 - Mar 3 with 1988 viewssmegma

First away was Elland Road Dec 73 . 2-2 draw and we should've won apparently but I hardly remember the game as I was preoccupied. I'd read in Shoot! magazine that Leeds had the tallest floodlights in England. I was even an anorak at 10 years old. We had a goal disallowed wrongly according to the bloke on Radio 2 on the way home. My dads friend had a company motor. It was a lemonade delivery lorry so only took half a day to get there and back.
The first away on my own Feb 74, 3-3 draw at the Fulham Broadway caravan site. Stan had chopper in his back pocket. We should've won when Mick Leach flicked it over his head (like Ardiles in Escape To Victory) then volleyed it from an angle and the ball missed the far post by inches.
1st Awayday & Memories on 18:37 - Mar 3 with 1975 viewsFredManRave

1st Awayday & Memories on 14:27 - Mar 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Same as yours, PP! At least I think so. I may have been brought to an away game as a toddler before we moved to Ireland in '75, but probably not. So the first game after we moved back again in '85 within striking distance after work was Watford away in the Cup.

I went on my own and knew no-one even to say hello to. Like you I remember the first trip through the allotments and being surprised that I had no choice but to walk with everybody else. I had a chat with a friendly constable to politely inform him that I would head away under my own stem, but thanks a million all the same. That ended predictably. So off we all trotted.

Remember nothing at all about the game. If you could post a link to that goal, I'd love to see it, please.

Here you go, Brian. Cracking goal although dissapointed there's no somersault celebration.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

1st Awayday & Memories on 19:00 - Mar 3 with 1942 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1st Awayday & Memories on 18:37 - Mar 3 by FredManRave

Here you go, Brian. Cracking goal although dissapointed there's no somersault celebration.

Thanks Fred. Don't remember it at all, strangely.

1st Awayday & Memories on 19:07 - Mar 3 with 1932 viewsterryb

1st Awayday & Memories on 18:30 - Mar 3 by smegma

First away was Elland Road Dec 73 . 2-2 draw and we should've won apparently but I hardly remember the game as I was preoccupied. I'd read in Shoot! magazine that Leeds had the tallest floodlights in England. I was even an anorak at 10 years old. We had a goal disallowed wrongly according to the bloke on Radio 2 on the way home. My dads friend had a company motor. It was a lemonade delivery lorry so only took half a day to get there and back.
The first away on my own Feb 74, 3-3 draw at the Fulham Broadway caravan site. Stan had chopper in his back pocket. We should've won when Mick Leach flicked it over his head (like Ardiles in Escape To Victory) then volleyed it from an angle and the ball missed the far post by inches.

Mine was a very boring 0-0 away to Orient soon after the League Cup win!

I was there smegma. The only time I went on a supporters train & it was during the three day week & ban on floodlights.

Gerry Francis scored a winning goal after Stan dummied the pass & let it run through to Gerry untouched. The ref ruled that Stan had played the ball & gave Gerry offside! Mind you, it was probably safer for us that we didn't win as that would have been their first defeat of the season!
1st Awayday & Memories on 19:42 - Mar 3 with 1907 viewsDWQPR

My very first game was an away game at Watford in March 1971, I was just short of my fifth birthday. However, my first proper away game was at the Bridge. December 1974 and Rangers routed the filth 3-0. We truly were west London's finest, in fact we were London's finest. Sat in the old west stand on benches with my brother and dad and as a naive eight year old at the time was more than happy to cheer each goal. Every win there since has been a real delight, nothing more than 2nd January 2013, was a bad winner going back down Fulham Broadway that night.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

1st Awayday & Memories on 22:14 - Mar 3 with 1822 viewsBrightonhoop

Stoke away 1978, I think. It was a baptism of fire, very intimidating. There were no more than a dozen of us on a cold bleak terrace, grim I remember thinking what cowards they were with no self respect.
We lost 1-0.
Hated them ever since.
1st Awayday & Memories on 23:01 - Mar 3 with 1782 viewsPunteR

Wimbledon at Plough lane..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

1st Awayday & Memories on 23:04 - Mar 3 with 1775 viewsPommyhoop

The sh1thole down the road when it WAS a sh1thole..
Complete with NF news sellers outside doing a roaring trade..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

1st Awayday & Memories on 23:11 - Mar 3 with 1754 viewsW12SG2

1st Awayday & Memories on 14:51 - Mar 3 by Toast_R

8 December 1990, away to Wimbledon - got spanked 3-0. QPR simply didn't turn up. Neither did many of our fans that afternoon, they used to have to two pens of terracing on that away end at Plough Lane and only one of them was open and it was barely two thirds full.

Not only was it my first away game but it was also my first QPR game. Used to live in Merton so it was a walk to get there. I was 10.

Wimbledon '90 was shite, sleet in our faces all game as well. Palace '83 was my first though - 3 nil to us and singing We can see you sneaking out to the palace fans on the terrace at the side.
1st Awayday & Memories on 23:16 - Mar 3 with 1747 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Notts County 1979. Think we lost 1-0. In fact, it was my first ever game. Remember thinking. That's it I. Q.P.R. for life! If only I'd known!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024