Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Weak Link? 09:29 - Aug 6 with 4786 viewsMyke

So once again fulfilling my role as a miserable old git and damping down expectations before KO. Who in your opinion might not live up to our hopes and expectations this season? I'm going for Seny. Never played in front of the home crowd before. Had got to 25 without ever being considered for the 1st team Prone to some errors that went under the radar last season. Already showing a moment of rashness (penalty v Leicester) and poor positional play (beaten at near post v Leicester. Probably (hopefully) completely wrong,but he is the one I would be most concerned about. Especially as (despite all our GK's) we have nobody immediately ready to step in to replace him, unlike all our other players and because Warburton seems to have a little blind spot for him (sticking him back in v Norwich when not fully fit for example ) which could prove detrimental in the long run.
Weak Link? on 09:46 - Aug 6 with 2618 viewsGroveR

You, Myke. You're not living up to our hopes and expectations for the season. You.
Weak Link? on 10:33 - Aug 6 with 2482 viewsAntti_Heinola

Wow we've gone from people saying he'd definitely leave for West Ham for £3m and no chance we can keep him to 'he's the weak link'.
A bit of pessimism not a terrible thing as we're all very buoyant, but this is a bit silly - particularly the 'prone to mistakes' - name a keeper at this level who is not 'prone to mistakes'. We're not going to be signing Donnarumma.

Bare bones.

Weak Link? on 10:38 - Aug 6 with 2465 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I say this without any relevant qualification on the subject because I've not seen him play, but I worry Moses might live off that wonder goal at United but not do go any further.

Feel free to bookmark then throw in my face when he becomes the new David Bardsley.
Weak Link? on 10:38 - Aug 6 with 2464 viewsNorthernr

The bits I'm worried about
- There's not a lot of blinding pace in the team, I wonder what will happen when sides just sit in against us and ask us to try and go through them (Derby H, Huddersfield H last season).
- Defensive central midfield. I love Sam Field to death, we'll miss him. Ball is game but limited. That and the wing backs being so far up has left that back three quite exposed in pre-season, albeit against some good players.
- It's QPR. The last time I felt like this about us we lost 5-0 to Swansea on the opening day and the season collapsed almost immediately.
Weak Link? on 10:40 - Aug 6 with 2454 viewsrobith

Can we play one game please?
Weak Link? on 10:43 - Aug 6 with 2437 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Much of our undoing in the Leicester game came in midfield. With Field out I think we might take a while to gel. Do we go all out Warbsball with JoJo and Dozzell? Do we take the pragmatic approach with Ball and JoJo/Dozzell?

We may take a while to get the balance right and we might be a bit porous in midfield is my worry.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Weak Link? on 10:49 - Aug 6 with 2417 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Seny!? FFS Myke.

Everyone has a mistake or two in them.

He's an intelligent, learning, developing, improving keeper. He's just going to get better and better over the next five years and we'll be lucky to keep hold of him for more than 1 or 2 of those.
Weak Link? on 10:50 - Aug 6 with 2402 viewsMyke

Weak Link? on 10:33 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

Wow we've gone from people saying he'd definitely leave for West Ham for £3m and no chance we can keep him to 'he's the weak link'.
A bit of pessimism not a terrible thing as we're all very buoyant, but this is a bit silly - particularly the 'prone to mistakes' - name a keeper at this level who is not 'prone to mistakes'. We're not going to be signing Donnarumma.

Chill Antti. First, you missed my question mark and second, just playing devils advocate on a very wet eve of new season. When making an argument, one must produce evidence to back it up. Of course he may be every bit as good as last year, but to be honest, jumping to the defence of the player I selected is not the purpose of the thread, Clive's response is. Where/who are the players who might not quite cut it?
It's actually a great discussion to be able to have, 12 months ago we would only have had a very small group of players who we considered were good enough to keep us up.
Login to get fewer ads

Weak Link? on 10:51 - Aug 6 with 2395 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Weak Link? on 10:43 - Aug 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

Much of our undoing in the Leicester game came in midfield. With Field out I think we might take a while to gel. Do we go all out Warbsball with JoJo and Dozzell? Do we take the pragmatic approach with Ball and JoJo/Dozzell?

We may take a while to get the balance right and we might be a bit porous in midfield is my worry.

The big plus for me though is that after last season I am 100% convinced that Warburton has the ability and perhaps lack of ego to change things when they need to be changed.

He ditched Warbsball when he saw it didn't work, and signed Austin and Johansson against the policy of only signing young and sellable players.

Going to be a good season and i'm certain the playoffs are possible and my early bet for POTY is Seny Dieng.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 10:52]
Weak Link? on 10:52 - Aug 6 with 2387 viewsMyke

Weak Link? on 10:49 - Aug 6 by Ashdown_Ranger

Seny!? FFS Myke.

Everyone has a mistake or two in them.

He's an intelligent, learning, developing, improving keeper. He's just going to get better and better over the next five years and we'll be lucky to keep hold of him for more than 1 or 2 of those.

Relax Ashdown - see post above
Weak Link? on 10:59 - Aug 6 with 2325 viewsBazzeR

MW has recently spoken about too much space between the lines.

I’m no tactical genius but a lot of teams play with W/Backs and don’t appear so open at times.
Is it that the 3 C/Backs are not pushing up high enough through lack of pace.
Or do some of our M/Field players lose concentration on shape and are drawn to the ball too easily.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 11:00]
Weak Link? on 11:01 - Aug 6 with 2311 viewsMyke

Weak Link? on 10:38 - Aug 6 by Northernr

- There's not a lot of blinding pace in the team, I wonder what will happen when sides just sit in against us and ask us to try and go through them (Derby H, Huddersfield H last season).
- Defensive central midfield. I love Sam Field to death, we'll miss him. Ball is game but limited. That and the wing backs being so far up has left that back three quite exposed in pre-season, albeit against some good players.
- It's QPR. The last time I felt like this about us we lost 5-0 to Swansea on the opening day and the season collapsed almost immediately.

Yes Field is a big loss, coupled with Amos still being some way off being ready to return. I think Warburton will juggle between Dozzell and Ball, depending on who we are playing, or maybe just go with Johansen for say home to Coventry or similar.
A huge question mark over Moses, no doubting his ability, but fitness is a different matter, coupled with Dickie not being the quickest covering behind him. While Jordi is a monster, I feel there will be games when we are better served with Dunne on the right and Dickie centre.
Not as concerned about teams 'sitting in' this year as last. I think we have more (improved) natural flair this season with Chair/Willock having the skill to unlock most defences, plus Charlie is a natural poacher who can literally conjure a goal out of nothing
[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 11:39]
Weak Link? on 11:06 - Aug 6 with 2282 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Weak Link? on 10:51 - Aug 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

The big plus for me though is that after last season I am 100% convinced that Warburton has the ability and perhaps lack of ego to change things when they need to be changed.

He ditched Warbsball when he saw it didn't work, and signed Austin and Johansson against the policy of only signing young and sellable players.

Going to be a good season and i'm certain the playoffs are possible and my early bet for POTY is Seny Dieng.

Agreed I think we should benefit from having the settled manager and squad.

I hope he goes with JoJo/Dozzell in midfield as it frees up JoJo to get forward. He tends to sit much deeper with Ball as we need his creativity back there. This might however leave us a little open. What Ball does well is dovetail with Barbet allowing him to get into midfield or up the left and allowing Wallace/McCallum to get forward.

I can't wait!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Weak Link? on 11:10 - Aug 6 with 2262 viewsSimplyNico

Weak Link? on 11:01 - Aug 6 by Myke

Yes Field is a big loss, coupled with Amos still being some way off being ready to return. I think Warburton will juggle between Dozzell and Ball, depending on who we are playing, or maybe just go with Johansen for say home to Coventry or similar.
A huge question mark over Moses, no doubting his ability, but fitness is a different matter, coupled with Dickie not being the quickest covering behind him. While Jordi is a monster, I feel there will be games when we are better served with Dunne on the right and Dickie centre.
Not as concerned about teams 'sitting in' this year as last. I think we have more (improved) natural flair this season with Chair/Willock having the skill to unlock most defences, plus Charlie is a natural poacher who can literally conjure a goal out of nothing
[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 11:39]

In the same way that we had "Scowongoman" a few seasons back in midfield, do we now have "Chillock" as the creative attacking force?
Weak Link? on 11:23 - Aug 6 with 2200 viewsrsonist

Weak Link? on 10:51 - Aug 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

At the same time though, the answer to lack of pace and defensive physicality literally is Do Warbsball Better.
Weak Link? on 11:25 - Aug 6 with 2190 viewsAntti_Heinola

Weak Link? on 10:50 - Aug 6 by Myke

Chill Antti. First, you missed my question mark and second, just playing devils advocate on a very wet eve of new season. When making an argument, one must produce evidence to back it up. Of course he may be every bit as good as last year, but to be honest, jumping to the defence of the player I selected is not the purpose of the thread, Clive's response is. Where/who are the players who might not quite cut it?
It's actually a great discussion to be able to have, 12 months ago we would only have had a very small group of players who we considered were good enough to keep us up.

a great discussion maybe, but doesn't make your opening gambit to provoke it any less silly.
Perfectly chilled, thanks!

Bare bones.

Weak Link? on 11:29 - Aug 6 with 2177 viewsSharpy36

Not to sure about any weak links, my concern is squad depth with it being comparatively small. As has been pointed out elsewhere the ACN could strip us of a few players next Jan/Feb. Hopefully those that will be covering will have enough B-team, U23 games under thier belts to step up and hit the ground running.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Weak Link? on 11:32 - Aug 6 with 2163 viewsSnipper

Not so much a weak link regarding players, but a positive negative. This season there’s expectation for this squad to do well. This is coming from our owners/shareholders and the bulk of the fan base.

The fans have to be patient. If things are not going the way we want tomorrow, the last thing the players need is disgruntled supporters giving them grief. We’re not going to win 46 league games, so give them your support to help them.

So, if there’s a weak link this season, it’ll be certain fans creating negativity.
Weak Link? on 11:45 - Aug 6 with 2100 viewsMyke

Weak Link? on 11:25 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

a great discussion maybe, but doesn't make your opening gambit to provoke it any less silly.
Perfectly chilled, thanks!

And you think immediately resorting to a personal insult instead of engaging in the discussion is the way to go? Interesting
Weak Link? on 11:54 - Aug 6 with 2071 viewsBazzeR

I would agree with Myke to a certain degree that Seny’s halo has slipped slightly towards the end of last season.

I put that down to a lack of competitiveness amongst the Keepers once Kelly went on loan and Lumley fell out with MW.

Overall even a sub par Seny commanding his area and making saves look so easy is the best Keeper we had in years and not one I would expect to be a weak link in the side.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 13:18]
Weak Link? on 12:10 - Aug 6 with 2014 viewscheesy

Not a weak link. Far from it. But I am hoping that Chair is going to produce alot more this season.
I can’t believe that he has not had this ”try and do too much” coached out of him yet. Looking at top players they are always looking for the early ball, something I hope will come into his game.
Weak Link? on 12:14 - Aug 6 with 1996 viewssaxbend

I'd say our weak link will be the depth of the squad. First choice eleven are wonderful throughout without exception and we have another four/five who'll come off the bench and slot in nicely, and to be honest I'm not even sure which of those players should start or be on the bench. But beyond that, we'll see weaknesses showing once the injuries and suspensions occur. If we're lucky they'll happen one or two at a time and during kinder parts of the fixture list without midweek games or over international breaks, but otherwise that will be where we go on bad runs. However, I trust the board and the fans not to hit the panic button when that happens. We'll get the other side and be fine.
Weak Link? on 12:14 - Aug 6 with 1993 viewsMyke

Weak Link? on 11:32 - Aug 6 by Snipper

Not so much a weak link regarding players, but a positive negative. This season there’s expectation for this squad to do well. This is coming from our owners/shareholders and the bulk of the fan base.

The fans have to be patient. If things are not going the way we want tomorrow, the last thing the players need is disgruntled supporters giving them grief. We’re not going to win 46 league games, so give them your support to help them.

So, if there’s a weak link this season, it’ll be certain fans creating negativity.

I agree the fans input, especially those attending, but also on here and the dreaded twitter, will be very important. We are all rightly excited and optimistic about the new season. Coming after several years of threading water at best, not to mention 18 months of pandemic crap, we are all ready to let the good times roll. It is how we respond if they don't roll from the get go, or if they stall somewhere along the way that will play a big part in how this season pans out
Weak Link? on 12:17 - Aug 6 with 1984 viewsMyke

Weak Link? on 11:54 - Aug 6 by BazzeR

I would agree with Myke to a certain degree that Seny’s halo has slipped slightly towards the end of last season.

I put that down to a lack of competitiveness amongst the Keepers once Kelly went on loan and Lumley fell out with MW.

Overall even a sub par Seny commanding his area and making saves look so easy is the best Keeper we had in years and not one I would expect to be a weak link in the side.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 13:18]

Hopefully you are right and he will absolutely thrive with the crowd behind him. He certainly banked a good deal of credit last season, so that should stand to him if things go a bit awry at times.
Weak Link? on 13:12 - Aug 6 with 1875 viewskernowhoop

Weak Link? on 10:38 - Aug 6 by Northernr

Odubajo is supposed to have 'blinding pace', but we shall see.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024