Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad Depth... 10:09 - Jul 17 with 6103 viewsdavman

... is going to be our problem this season clearly.

Of the players that have gone, have any of them weakened our current first choice XI? Possibly Odubajo on the right, but aside from that, from what we have seen to date (playing wise), JCS looks a good replacement of Yoann (although standfast whether he will be available as often); Paal has the energy of Wallace (standfast whether he will be as good though) and it won't take much to get a better output from whatever Charlie gets replaced with (sorry, but it's true...). The 'keepers had to go (we have an outstanding first choice and three OK alternatives already) and despite my view that De Wijs was the best we had in the three, he was injured too much.

In Midfield we have more than enough cover now, but we have no strength in depth at full back (still) and up top, we've gone for Bonne and Dykes before and it was hard, hard to watch. Kelman is not the answer and whether we like it or not, Armstrong needs to have a run somewhere before we decide.

There will be times through the season when we will have 4-5 players out and will be down to our 4th and 5th subs on a match day and it's those times I worry about.

Even though we don't want to sell are we best off selling one to buy four?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Squad Depth... on 10:38 - Jul 17 with 3172 viewsfrancisbowles

Undoubtedly, we need to strengthen and that is the aim. It seems that our targets are hedging their bets. We still have Willock and Amos who haven't been available so far. I think we will see Armstrong and maybe one or two other young players added to the squad for Wealdstone to hopefully give us more options.

The teams that have started the matches have, for the most part, played some vey good football and there have been some encouraging signs from previous 'misfits' Bonne and Shodipo. The second half teams have been much weaker but we are hopefully not going to be starting with those X1s. Individually though, those players could slot in and should be better in a stronger line up. Too many at once though, and I share your concern.
As everyone knows right back and a goal scoring striker are our main weakness.

If we are to sell a prized asset to fund replacements then obviously their needs to be serious interest. That doesn't seem to be present, so far.!
Squad Depth... on 10:51 - Jul 17 with 3108 viewsstevec

I’m wondering how far into the Championship schedule it’ll take before MB realises Dunne needs to be part of a 3 man back line.
Squad Depth... on 11:02 - Jul 17 with 3094 viewsstanistheman

We have no depth to our squad.
The midfield options from the bench I.e. Owens & Thomas will struggle if called into action. They’re simply not good enough at Championship level. The back up full backs are also not good enough and as for Dykes or Bonne leading the attack, again, not good enough on their showing so far.
The latter has scored 3 goals, but has missed good chances and doesn’t press or stretch defences.
Things may be better when Willock and Roberts are fit but clearly not going to be good if they are not.

Can we afford to wait until the likes of Villa and Spurs decide what to do with Archer and Parrott. Will other clubs beat us to them? Shouldn’t the club have searched out other strikers to buy?
Squad Depth... on 11:10 - Jul 17 with 3085 viewswood_hoop

I take a slightly different view, new manager is no different to a new player, will take a little time to bed in, the players also have to be given time to adapt to a new manager.

The championship is frantic, but you do get the chance even if having an indifferent start to the season, you need a bit of luck with injuries and the players gelling in the way the manager hopes.

Easy on paper to knock certain players and be doom mongers, but maybe I am being a bit too optimistic, a couple more signings would help strengthen the squad but I would prefer to wait for a dozen games or so before seeing just how the land lies.
Squad Depth... on 11:42 - Jul 17 with 3042 viewsdmm

I agree with davman about squad depth, and the LB position is a big worry. Paal looks okay but Hamalainen is a nightmare. Should Paal get an injury we've got a big problem given MB places a lot of responsibility on the FBs, even more than MW did.

Hopefully MB will now have seen this and can convince the Board we need another LB.
Squad Depth... on 12:09 - Jul 17 with 2951 viewsDavieQPR

Some people need to stop thinking the club is doing absolutely nothing in the background. How many people knew we were scouting Paal, JCS or Roberts. Does anyone know of the two expected next week. No.
Squad Depth... on 12:25 - Jul 17 with 2882 viewsLogman

In reply to the O.P. you forgot to mention Dominic Ball. He would have been my first choice back-up at CDM a long way ahead of Masterson or Owens or whoever else we are playing there in the second halves of the friendlies when we are readying the squad players.
Squad Depth... on 12:29 - Jul 17 with 2874 viewsngbqpr

Squad Depth... on 12:09 - Jul 17 by DavieQPR

Some people need to stop thinking the club is doing absolutely nothing in the background. How many people knew we were scouting Paal, JCS or Roberts. Does anyone know of the two expected next week. No.

This 100%.

I don't think it's a secret we're after a right back...I wouldn't be surprised to see another striker of some description ('hybrid forward'?) added, tho maybe not given what MB has said about Armstrong...and add that to the business already done, and I don't see the squad as very different to the one that did so well for two thirds of last season...and we've done it without losing any of the crown jewels.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Login to get fewer ads

Squad Depth... on 12:29 - Jul 17 with 2869 viewscolinallcars

The club may of course be considering a couple of loans - but you know what they say, twice bitten once shy.
Squad Depth... on 12:44 - Jul 17 with 2820 viewsdavman

Squad Depth... on 12:25 - Jul 17 by Logman

In reply to the O.P. you forgot to mention Dominic Ball. He would have been my first choice back-up at CDM a long way ahead of Masterson or Owens or whoever else we are playing there in the second halves of the friendlies when we are readying the squad players.

Agreed. Loved him. Miss him already.

Can we go out yet?

Squad Depth... on 13:16 - Jul 17 with 2749 viewsWelsh_Ranger

As always I think context is needed. I don't disagree with the OP but when you make wholesale changes in a pre-season friendly when MB admits he's working the squad hard and they often train pre-match and have tired legs give a different perspective.

The bulk of our starting 11 when match fit will be competitive in this division and when if we have to use squad players they will be playing with those established pros who will be able to guide them through a game.

We didn't have Amos, Willock or Roberts on the grass yesterday and you'd assume they would be the first 3 game changing subs...

Thomas comming on with his direct running against tired legs can also pose a threat and create space for others. Also if we persist with a back 4 then we have Dunne to come on also.

I haven't seen anything in those back up players that suggest they will get embarrassed at Championship level and ultimately as a club and players they need the opportunity run of games to prove themselves capable. I think its too easy to judge them in a disjointed second half when the personel keeps changing.

I thought Drewe when he started the other day looked out of his depth and yet when he came on yesterday i thought he gave a good account of himself.

One or two additions will come in from what MB has said but its also key for our younger players to come through also.

Sorry for the rambled message, i hope you get the gist of what im saying! Keep the faith!
Squad Depth... on 13:29 - Jul 17 with 2711 viewsessextaxiboy

Squad Depth... on 12:09 - Jul 17 by DavieQPR

Exactly , the time for comment is when the window "slams" shut
Squad Depth... on 14:12 - Jul 17 with 2610 viewscharmr

Was reflecting on this of late. The current team will be so vastly different in a few seasons under Beale. A team in his own image etc. Going up I hope isn’t the priority, building a team hopefully should be to stay up. Reading between the lines I think he knows he has work to do. There seems to be a lot of average in the championship or either good players being stifled by coaches and systems.

Reminds me and hopefully turns out the same when TV took over and put a team together. Thing is clubs are taking every half decent player and locking them in. Can you imagine someone with Tony Curries abilities being available to someone like us today.

I hope this is the plan and way forward. Get the clubs identity back and become really established. I do think Beale gets QPR. Which is good place to start.
Squad Depth... on 14:22 - Jul 17 with 2579 viewsdavman

Squad Depth... on 14:12 - Jul 17 by charmr

Was reflecting on this of late. The current team will be so vastly different in a few seasons under Beale. A team in his own image etc. Going up I hope isn’t the priority, building a team hopefully should be to stay up. Reading between the lines I think he knows he has work to do. There seems to be a lot of average in the championship or either good players being stifled by coaches and systems.

Reminds me and hopefully turns out the same when TV took over and put a team together. Thing is clubs are taking every half decent player and locking them in. Can you imagine someone with Tony Curries abilities being available to someone like us today.

I hope this is the plan and way forward. Get the clubs identity back and become really established. I do think Beale gets QPR. Which is good place to start.

TV just went out and bought the team he'd built at PalARSE to be the "Team of the Eighties". I know that because my brother was 15 at the and a CPFC fan and I was 11 and an R. To say he and his mates were a little bit peeved would be no exaggeration; I had to be quick to avoid a beating or two when Flanagan, Fenwick, Sealy and others transformed our team under TV whilst theirs fell away...

Unfortunately buying all of the players from an up and coming team is no longer an option, so this build will have to be done very, very differently this time round...

I still think that we are punching well above our modern day weight even as a midtable Champ Team...

Can we go out yet?

Squad Depth... on 14:33 - Jul 17 with 2544 viewsSydneyRs

Squad Depth... on 14:22 - Jul 17 by davman

TV just went out and bought the team he'd built at PalARSE to be the "Team of the Eighties". I know that because my brother was 15 at the and a CPFC fan and I was 11 and an R. To say he and his mates were a little bit peeved would be no exaggeration; I had to be quick to avoid a beating or two when Flanagan, Fenwick, Sealy and others transformed our team under TV whilst theirs fell away...

Unfortunately buying all of the players from an up and coming team is no longer an option, so this build will have to be done very, very differently this time round...

I still think that we are punching well above our modern day weight even as a midtable Champ Team...

That feeling among Palace fans was very evident during the 82 FA cup quarter final. It may be 40 years ago but I remember it well!
Squad Depth... on 14:37 - Jul 17 with 2531 viewscharmr

And all the youth players developed by team principles developed by TV and implemented by Theo follis and George Graham. Won se counties and combination leagues as well as getting promoted.
Squad Depth... on 15:18 - Jul 17 with 2454 viewsderbyhoop

Take yesterday's starting XI. Add Amos, Willock, Roberts, Dunne, Dykes. Maybe Shodipo, Thomas Nd Masterson (as a CB, not DCM) and its OK. Unless we get any injuries. And we will. Holloway used to reckon on 20% of squad being unavailable at any one time.

It's not desperate but it is light.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Squad Depth... on 15:41 - Jul 17 with 2395 viewsQPROslo

Yes. I still struggle to understand why we didnt do more to keep Barbet who for me was by far our best and most reliable (fitness wise) CB the last 2 seasons. Apparently now he is still without a Club. Ball was I think a better back up to Field than any defensive midfielder we have now.

But the most illogical move we have made this summer is apparently letting Moses go off to Turkey, when he is a far better right back than we have on our books now, and can play left side equally well. He's sort the lack of quality we have now at both RB/LB or RWB/LWB. That he has seemingly got a new contract with Aris suggests he is close to full fitness again.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2022 15:44]
Squad Depth... on 15:47 - Jul 17 with 2366 viewsdistortR

Squad Depth... on 15:41 - Jul 17 by QPROslo

Yes. I still struggle to understand why we didnt do more to keep Barbet who for me was by far our best and most reliable (fitness wise) CB the last 2 seasons. Apparently now he is still without a Club. Ball was I think a better back up to Field than any defensive midfielder we have now.

But the most illogical move we have made this summer is apparently letting Moses go off to Turkey, when he is a far better right back than we have on our books now, and can play left side equally well. He's sort the lack of quality we have now at both RB/LB or RWB/LWB. That he has seemingly got a new contract with Aris suggests he is close to full fitness again.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2022 15:44]

I liked Moses, but full fitness for him is never going to mean much, alas.
Ball I agree on, but maybe he didn't want to be back up? People at the club obviously rate Charlie Owens, if he can get past his injury woes, lets see what he has to offer.

Beale needs to be allowed to build a team. Man u are trying to temper the expectations of their fans, they finished 6th and are spending tens of millions. Maybe we should get real.

Not digging you out Oslo, 2nd paragraph has nothing to do with you!
Squad Depth... on 15:49 - Jul 17 with 2347 viewsQPROslo

Squad Depth... on 15:47 - Jul 17 by distortR

I liked Moses, but full fitness for him is never going to mean much, alas.
Ball I agree on, but maybe he didn't want to be back up? People at the club obviously rate Charlie Owens, if he can get past his injury woes, lets see what he has to offer.

Beale needs to be allowed to build a team. Man u are trying to temper the expectations of their fans, they finished 6th and are spending tens of millions. Maybe we should get real.

Not digging you out Oslo, 2nd paragraph has nothing to do with you!

Yes, I expect Ball wanted to play more than he was likely to staying with us.
Squad Depth... on 16:02 - Jul 17 with 2320 viewsLazyFan

The squad looks weak to me, it's a worry.

We played sideways football with no attacking thrust in the last few months and it showed as we got beaten time and again.

Without Willock, we don't know how to score it seems. Unless we playReading every week!
We need a player with pace on the right who can open up teams and stretch them with lightning pace.

And of course, a right back who is decent on the wing as well, can cross and also tackle. Then we might be okay to avoid the relegation battle I worry we may become involved in at the start of the season.

zzzzzzzzzz

Squad Depth... on 16:13 - Jul 17 with 2275 viewsWelsh_Ranger

I'm sorry but we won't be in a relegation battle that is utter nonsense.
Squad Depth... on 16:42 - Jul 17 with 2201 viewsbosh67

I think Parrott is very much one that will come in.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Squad Depth... on 16:54 - Jul 17 with 2180 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Squad Depth... on 16:54 - Jul 17 with 2167 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Squad Depth... on 16:42 - Jul 17 by bosh67

I really hope not Bosh. Never been impressed when I've seen him play but in MB we must trust!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024