Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
70s discos and clubs 11:42 - Mar 3 with 9470 viewsdmm

I worked in discos and clubs in the 70s and wondered if anyone knew of these three venues, all long gone of course.

Thursdays, a disco on Kensington High Street.

Maximus, a disco in Leicester Square.

No Noise, a 'blues' club on Ladbroke Grove. I didn't work there but would sometimes end up there after finishing work at 3am.
70s discos and clubs on 15:49 - Mar 3 with 5317 viewsbaz_qpr

I used to go to Maximus in the 90's a famous progressive house club night called Love Ranch run by Sean Mclusky
70s discos and clubs on 15:55 - Mar 3 with 5294 viewskensalriser

70s discos and clubs on 15:49 - Mar 3 by baz_qpr

I used to go to Maximus in the 90's a famous progressive house club night called Love Ranch run by Sean Mclusky

Ditto!

The Kensington venue may be the one latterly known as the Park, which in the late 80s hosted Enter The Dragon and an iteration of Shoom. It was underground near where Hyper Hyper used to be.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 15:57]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

70s discos and clubs on 15:55 - Mar 3 with 5295 viewsDaBurgh

I think that when I arrived in London in 1979, Thursday's in Kensington was the big Friday night out. I went quite a few times, but I don't remember a single thing about the place. So it must of been good. Which is nice.
70s discos and clubs on 16:00 - Mar 3 with 5276 viewsMick_S

I had my 18th in Maximus. They let us in so it was the best club in London!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

70s discos and clubs on 17:13 - Mar 3 with 5166 viewsBoston

70s discos and clubs on 16:00 - Mar 3 by Mick_S

I had my 18th in Maximus. They let us in so it was the best club in London!

My 18th was at a club(name escapes me), up the top of Watford High St. Had to wear a jacket and tie, looked real good until covered in puke.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

70s discos and clubs on 17:17 - Mar 3 with 5162 viewsloftusranger

70s discos and clubs on 17:13 - Mar 3 by Boston

My 18th was at a club(name escapes me), up the top of Watford High St. Had to wear a jacket and tie, looked real good until covered in puke.

Boston,
Depending on your age it was probably the one called Baileys or Paradise Lost or Qudos (and has since had dozens of further name changes).....
70s discos and clubs on 17:30 - Mar 3 with 5145 viewsE15Hoop

70s discos and clubs on 17:17 - Mar 3 by loftusranger

Boston,
Depending on your age it was probably the one called Baileys or Paradise Lost or Qudos (and has since had dozens of further name changes).....

I was a frequent visitor to Paradise Lost!
..And let's face it, if Paradise is in Watford, it truly MUST be Lost...
Bizarrely, there's a district of Coventry called Paradise. I suspect the Town Planners may have had a sense of humour..
70s discos and clubs on 17:36 - Mar 3 with 5132 viewscharmr

Baileys, guys from work took me when I was 16, came to the weighty conclusion that disco music wasn’t my thing. Well the shyte they played that night anyway. Love Nile Rodgers stuff though and love good dance music. Saw a few acts later on like Gary Glitter. It was a good show.

Was a regular at the Electric Ballroom Saturday night. Soul downstairs, Rockabilly upstairs and cans of red stripe.

Went to the wag club once, only once mind.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 17:38]
Login to get fewer ads

70s discos and clubs on 18:48 - Mar 3 with 5069 viewsdmm

Some nice reminiscing there. It's interesting to read about what you were up to back then and that some remember the places I worked in. It was a bit earlier for me actually, more in the mid 70s.

Anyone else?
70s discos and clubs on 19:17 - Mar 3 with 5018 viewsMick_S

70s discos and clubs on 18:48 - Mar 3 by dmm

Some nice reminiscing there. It's interesting to read about what you were up to back then and that some remember the places I worked in. It was a bit earlier for me actually, more in the mid 70s.

Anyone else?

The place in Kensington - can’t remember the name, but here’s a horrible bloke story. My mate pulled, went home with the daughter of some famous horse racing bloke, and they did the wild thing. He woke up, absolutely skint, no way of getting home so he robbed the piggy bank. Smashed it for the cab fare back to Northolt.

Bad one.

70s discos and clubs on 19:18 - Mar 3 with 5019 viewsstevec

Went when it was Thursdays and the Park, good club. There was also a club on the opposite side of Kensington High street but the name escapes me. Terry Venables used to be a regular in there.
70s discos and clubs on 19:55 - Mar 3 with 4983 viewspaulparker

Typical pick up joints back in the day

Regals- Uxbridge
Kudos - Watford
The Villa bar Uxbridge
Continentals Uxbridge
Henry’s - burnham
Top hats -Ealing
Long Island ice tea - Rickmansworth
Oscars -Greenford

For the life of me there was a couple in Chalfont & West Drayton that I can’t think of

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

70s discos and clubs on 20:02 - Mar 3 with 4973 viewsMick_S

70s discos and clubs on 19:55 - Mar 3 by paulparker

Regals- Uxbridge
Kudos - Watford
The Villa bar Uxbridge
Continentals Uxbridge
Henry’s - burnham
Top hats -Ealing
Oscars -Greenford

For the life of me there was a couple in Chalfont & West Drayton that I can’t think of

Chalfont May have been Winkers? The one in West Drayton had a train track going around above the bar with a big dildo strapped to the train. Classy. Can’t remember the name of the gaff.

Anyone remember the name of the place by Centre Point, down the stairs etc?

70s discos and clubs on 21:20 - Mar 3 with 4904 viewsNoDiddley

70s discos and clubs on 20:02 - Mar 3 by Mick_S

Chalfont May have been Winkers? The one in West Drayton had a train track going around above the bar with a big dildo strapped to the train. Classy. Can’t remember the name of the gaff.

Went to a club called Circles , vague memories, might’ve been Stanmore, Kingsbury🤷🏻‍♂️
70s discos and clubs on 21:34 - Mar 3 with 4892 viewskingshill

70s discos and clubs on 20:02 - Mar 3 by Mick_S

Busby's in Charing Cross Rd, just by Tottenham Court Rd tube?
70s discos and clubs on 21:39 - Mar 3 with 4885 viewsDaBurgh

Anyone remember a small club in Ealing. Just opposite Ealing Broadway station. A stairway down to the entrance, next to an estate agents. Must of been early 80's. Might still be there, though I doubt it.
70s discos and clubs on 21:54 - Mar 3 with 4869 viewswood_hoop

70s discos and clubs on 18:48 - Mar 3 by dmm

Anyone else?

I went to quite a few back in the 70'all over London, can't recall too many in Kensington, was one in High St Ken above the old Derry & Toms, name escapes me, another one was The Gunnersby Fair in Acton/Ealing ?

Mostly the old West End places, starting in the Lyceum The Stand, only 16 so was a real eye opener to a pimply youth.

Loved Ripples in Charing Cross,
Global Village also right close to Charing Cross
Banana's Wardoor St ( changed to Crackers I think)
The Castle Ricmmond, ( that changed to two nightcubs in later years.)
Charlie Browns Tottenham.

A few others when desperate for a night out.

Room at the Top Ilford ( lots of little wannabe hard men)
Hammersmith Palaise
Quite a few others dotted around the suburbs , but buggered if I can remember their names, just about where they were located.
70s discos and clubs on 21:59 - Mar 3 with 4859 viewsW13R

70s discos and clubs on 21:39 - Mar 3 by DaBurgh

Anyone remember a small club in Ealing. Just opposite Ealing Broadway station. A stairway down to the entrance, next to an estate agents. Must of been early 80's. Might still be there, though I doubt it.

I think it’s now called The Red Room but was Club Azur before that.
70s discos and clubs on 22:00 - Mar 3 with 4855 viewsPunteR

Never went to Love Ranch but used to hear all about it . Stella line up of DJs . That Sean Mclusky knew his onions.
Club UK and Leisure Lounge on his CV too.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

70s discos and clubs on 22:05 - Mar 3 with 4844 viewsW13R

70s discos and clubs on 19:55 - Mar 3 by paulparker

Regals- Uxbridge
Kudos - Watford
The Villa bar Uxbridge
Continentals Uxbridge
Henry’s - burnham
Top hats -Ealing
Oscars -Greenford

West Drayton was Naughties if I remember rightly.
70s discos and clubs on 22:13 - Mar 3 with 4814 viewspaulhoop2

Boulevard - Ealing Broadway
Harpers - Guildford
RSVP - Woking
Cheekies - Staines
Mcluskies aka slutskies - Kingston

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

70s discos and clubs on 22:14 - Mar 3 with 4812 viewsNorthantsHoop

Americas - Southall
Bogarts - South Harrow
Tudors - Harrow & Wealdstone
Oscars - Greenford
Baileys & Paradise Lost - Watford
Splitz - Shaftsbury Circle Harrow

For us old heavy metal lovers late 70s/early 80s the Bandwagon in the Prince of Wales - Kingsbury
70s discos and clubs on 22:24 - Mar 3 with 4786 viewseghamranger

More ‘my end’

Cinderellas in Kingston ( student night on a Monday)
Jackson’s in Staines
21s or Oliver’s in Egham
Pantiles in Bagshot ( now a care home)
70s discos and clubs on 22:40 - Mar 3 with 4768 viewsLblock

Only clubs I’ve ever known in Kensington High Street were The Park or The Roof Gardens (unless you want to include “our Terry’s” gaff in Squires!!!)
The Park was a good gaff early 90’s…. MattyB a regular and I went to the attempts to re-launch Shoom…. Sadly it never really took off.

Maximus was on the Hippodrome side of the square IIRC? Love Ranch there plus also a night called Spank???? A gaff where anything went and quite a few trannies used to get in there - quality music and quite a laugh.

Ladbroke Grove one means nothing to me but if it was blues then not one that would be on my radar.
Why do they sing the first line of any blues track twice?
I said, why do they sing the first line of any blues track twice?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

70s discos and clubs on 22:41 - Mar 3 with 4767 viewsW13R

70s discos and clubs on 22:24 - Mar 3 by eghamranger

More ‘my end’

Cinderellas in Kingston ( student night on a Monday)
Jackson’s in Staines
21s or Oliver’s in Egham
Pantiles in Bagshot ( now a care home)

The Galleon on Sunday nights and also The Cricketers on Bank Holidays in Chertsey
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024