Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column 23:33 - Oct 29 with 5183 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61176
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 23:59 - Oct 29 with 5073 viewsSydneyRs

Brilliant as always. Probably didn't grow their own tits though tbf.
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 00:01 - Oct 30 with 5071 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Superb writing there Clive giving real insight why GA crashed and burned here but more ominous stuff coming .
We need that new manager bounce right away and yes I know it never happens for QPR.
The first line up will tell us a lot .I expect Willock to be in the starting 11 myself and try to recapture that exciting Chair connection we need so badly .
Goals are the only thing that can save us so lets get cracking on that .
GA will be sitting on his hands for a while I fear not many places for him and Dobbo now .
He tried hard but his best was not good enough .
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 06:44 - Oct 30 with 4643 viewsNorthernr

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 00:01 - Oct 30 by CLAREMAN1995

Superb writing there Clive giving real insight why GA crashed and burned here but more ominous stuff coming .
We need that new manager bounce right away and yes I know it never happens for QPR.
The first line up will tell us a lot .I expect Willock to be in the starting 11 myself and try to recapture that exciting Chair connection we need so badly .
Goals are the only thing that can save us so lets get cracking on that .
GA will be sitting on his hands for a while I fear not many places for him and Dobbo now .
He tried hard but his best was not good enough .

He'll get jobs, but it'll be at a League Two or perhaps low end League One level.
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 07:02 - Oct 30 with 4605 viewssevenhoop

My god that was a brilliant article, and a very painful read. Feel really sorry for such a great bloke but, ultimately, as you say, he wasn’t up to the task. We really are a shitshow and have been for a very long time. Can’t ever forgive Hughes and Redknapp, so obviously bad decisions when appointed and who left the club financially
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 07:21 - Oct 30 with 4507 viewsdmm

An excellent article, as ever. I couldn't help but wonder how many weeks ago you would have started writing it, Clive. Just after the Blackburn debacle or further back than that?
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 08:13 - Oct 30 with 4309 viewsthehat

Mega article Clive - Nail and Head!!

Living in Bucks I watched a bit of Wycombe under Gareth and as you say they were very successful in what they did and it wasn't all hoofball. Yes set pieces were important but they could also play an attractive 4,2,3,1 formation with pace, athleticism, in the front areas which I guess he just didn't have with this squad. He also had complete buy in from everyone which a few in our squad with their overhyped ego's just weren't having (again).

As those before him he couldn't crack the Chair complication of trying to shoehorn him into the team and formation. It's interesting that while Chair was at AFCON we had our best spell under Warburton which finished with the 4 v 0 home win over Reading. Chair returned and he went straight back into the team at Peterborough away (along with a Hendricks debut it must be said) we were poor, unbalanced and beaton and there started our 2 year decline.

Be interesting to see what the next manager will do try and solve the problem.
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 08:27 - Oct 30 with 4247 viewsngbqpr

Brilliantly articulated summation which I suspect reflects what at least 90% of the fanbase have been feeling.

For the first time in 50 years of support and 45 of regular attendance, in recent weeks I have actively chosen not to attend games I would normally have gone to without thinking. That may be partly an age thing - I think I'd have made the same decision if we currently had, say, the Slade 'n' Scully era team trotting out weekly - but the turgid football and baffling 'strategies' left me finding better ways to spend time and money.

I feel guilty about this, but within minutes of the news, I had the family diary out and was scanning the fixture list to see which games were do-able...and suddenly was looking at fixtures other than Wednesday and Rotherham and thinking "we might just get something there."

Sorry Gaz, and good luck.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 09:32 - Oct 30 with 3955 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Nailed it, Clive.

Accurate, fair and well written.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:00 - Oct 30 with 3792 viewsgazza1

Lots and lots can be written about the R's, & by Norf himself, since and before GA arrived. It was the wrong decision by the board and most footballing people who know the game knew that so how he was appointed I will never know....it must have been to get the fans onside (which has been achieved) & he was a cheaper option.

Last season we stayed up by the skin of our teeth, lucky without a doubt if Reading were not deducted points we would be playing 1st Division football....we were pretty poor most games and never improved under GA.

GA has failed, failed and failed, again & again. He has not even sorted player issues out which I thought he would have done. I'm talking about the Richards & Willock issues - they still have issues - they should have been shown the door if they were going to continue with their ways but GA did not.

We then move onto his transfers.....contrary to many, many fans views that Begovic was a 'great signing', he is a great keeper, etc, etc (not sure why posters thought that when he has played about 10 games in 3 years and is nearing 35 years old) - he is average to say the least. He then signs Larkeche, then Smyth, aging Cox, Cook & Colbeck. All pretty average signings, who knows what the seniors are earning every week and what their signing on fees were - I would not think it is 'pin money'. So we have 4 'old boys' in the team now!!! Larkeche never plays (the future I am told) and the other one, Smyth, is no longer getting a start. IMO his transfers were pretty poor overall and not to use the 'loan market' fails me. Further, he knew we were very short in the forward line, only two Dykes & Armstrong both got no idea about scoring goals on a regular basis, both are not good enough for Championship level - Why didn't GA sign a forward??? ANYBODY somebody who is going to lead the line, somebody who is going to knock the opposition CB around, somebody who can hold the ball, somebody who can score a few goals - ANYBODY!!!!

The season starts at Watford - (Not worth talking about the Austria trip and Oxford match apparently because results don't matter I'm told because its all about fitness - is it Bollox!!!). GA has 2 months pre-season getting the team ready for the first game, fitness, tactics, formation, and whatever. As we know, 4-0 down after 45 minutes, could have been more. The 2nd half Watford just done a bit of training for 45 minutes.Watford next game against a lower division team in the cup and they get beat. We loose game after game pretty easily. Players lack discipline, tactics & team formations are larger poorly thought through, team selections are mystifying, his interviews are very strange, keeps secrets about injuries (as if it matters if the oppo know that LD is not playing or Dunne is out for 3 months!!!).

BUT you know what, it is not all his fault, I think GA gave his all every day of the week, I think GA will be a very sad man today thinking what he could have been done better, he will be a broken man but he will be back (if he wants to) to continue his football journey.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 10:04]
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:09 - Oct 30 with 3736 viewsTheChef

Thank you Clive. That last sentence hits the nail on the head.

Good luck to whoever comes in next, they have a hell of a job to turn this round.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:12 - Oct 30 with 3723 viewsHoopsie

We would not be relegated last season even if Reading were not penalised with points deduction.

Cardiff would be relegated instead

We would still finish above Reading on goals difference

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:15 - Oct 30 with 3700 viewsNorthernr

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:12 - Oct 30 by Hoopsie

We would not be relegated last season even if Reading were not penalised with points deduction.

Cardiff would be relegated instead

We would still finish above Reading on goals difference

Given the mentality of our team and players, I think you've got to ask how that Stoke game would have gone had Reading not had their six points off and were sitting right there with us.
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:17 - Oct 30 with 3691 viewsDeanoMD

Great read and sadly very very true.

It's bonkers how after all this time, all the money that's been spent and all the personnel we've had through the door we still need a major re-set at the club.

I'm resigned to us going down especially if they appoint some trendy favourite of the Twitter gang which is where the board seem to get all their ideas from.

Only Colin could have a chance of getting us out of this and it wouldn't surprise me if he turned it down.....sigh....
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:21 - Oct 30 with 3654 viewsHoopsie

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:17 - Oct 30 by DeanoMD

Great read and sadly very very true.

It's bonkers how after all this time, all the money that's been spent and all the personnel we've had through the door we still need a major re-set at the club.

I'm resigned to us going down especially if they appoint some trendy favourite of the Twitter gang which is where the board seem to get all their ideas from.

Only Colin could have a chance of getting us out of this and it wouldn't surprise me if he turned it down.....sigh....

Or the itches they have to scratch

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 10:56 - Oct 30 with 3494 viewsbosh67

Brilliant article Clive.

For me it all feels akin to a car enthusiast going to a second hand car lot and the salesman going...

Well, it used to be a prestigious car but it is old. There's a lot of rust and the head gasket has gone. Obviously there is an oil leak, the suspension has gone and to be honest there aren't any spare parts you can buy to retrofit it.

And the car enthusiast saying...

Well, it's my dream car and I'll take it.

That's what I feel Gareth walked into but then when he opened the bonnet there was no engine and a list of maintenance bills.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 11:19 - Oct 30 with 3362 viewsted_hendrix

He was a disaster for the club, and the misery of watching our club going slowly down the pan seemed to be almost accepted by our fans.
It was endless dross on the pitch and some of the most ridiculous excuses coming from the Managers mouth before and after games were cringeworthy.
Regardless of whoever at the club gave GA the contract In the first place, GA has left this club In a very precarious position.

Thank goodness he's gone.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 11:39 - Oct 30 with 3266 viewsAntti_Heinola

Absolutely outstanding analysis, can't fault any of it.
Thanks Clive.

I have one or two vague hopes. One is that in terms of infrastructure with the training ground, we're in a better place than we've been in many years, possibly ever. So there are *some* foundations. Uh, that's it. Essentially, I'm clinging to the hope that the unknown Reilly is doing a really thorough DoF search, which will result in root and branch change at the club from U9s upwards. For once, I don't mind a short term appointment - I'm resigned, as I was last season, to relegation. So either Warnock of whoever pulls off a miracle, and we start again, but with planning starting from spring, next season. Or we go down, and we really begin a very major rebuild from there with a young progressive coach in the way Ipswich have done.

Bare bones.

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 11:45 - Oct 30 with 3221 viewsAndybrat

Thanks Clive put into words what the majority of us were thinking, we all desperately wanted him to succeed as much for him as the team. I actually beg to differ on signings within the constricts. Steve Cook has years left in him, definitely at this level and Paul Smyth needs to play every week. We now have decent back up at left back and Reggie looks like the answer at RWB. First time I saw him Saturday and looks better than all the other pretenders in that role and obviously can multi task. Can see him playing midfield with Sam next Saturday. So whoever comes in will not inherit the worst squad in the division. Still sad though
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 13:51 - Oct 30 with 2763 viewscolinallcars

Spot on.
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 14:12 - Oct 30 with 2678 viewsBostonR

What a shite-show!

I would guess the remit for whoever comes in is to stay up? But at what point does the club re-set. We need fresh ideas and innovation in the business and footballing elements of the club. I fear that the demand to just stay in the Championship, will never allow the changes to be made. We have fallen into a trap of sub-par performances at every level across the club, which will be so difficult to fix.
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 14:16 - Oct 30 with 2666 viewsR_from_afar

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 08:13 - Oct 30 by thehat

Mega article Clive - Nail and Head!!

Living in Bucks I watched a bit of Wycombe under Gareth and as you say they were very successful in what they did and it wasn't all hoofball. Yes set pieces were important but they could also play an attractive 4,2,3,1 formation with pace, athleticism, in the front areas which I guess he just didn't have with this squad. He also had complete buy in from everyone which a few in our squad with their overhyped ego's just weren't having (again).

As those before him he couldn't crack the Chair complication of trying to shoehorn him into the team and formation. It's interesting that while Chair was at AFCON we had our best spell under Warburton which finished with the 4 v 0 home win over Reading. Chair returned and he went straight back into the team at Peterborough away (along with a Hendricks debut it must be said) we were poor, unbalanced and beaton and there started our 2 year decline.

Be interesting to see what the next manager will do try and solve the problem.

Good post, the section on Ainsworth's Wycombe mirrors my experience of them.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 14:37 - Oct 30 with 2580 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A gut-wrenching read that's difficult to disagree with. As poor as Ainsworth the manager was, the mitigating circumstances should ensure that his legacy as a player prevails.
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 15:10 - Oct 30 with 2477 viewsBedford_R

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 11:19 - Oct 30 by ted_hendrix

He was a disaster for the club, and the misery of watching our club going slowly down the pan seemed to be almost accepted by our fans.
It was endless dross on the pitch and some of the most ridiculous excuses coming from the Managers mouth before and after games were cringeworthy.
Regardless of whoever at the club gave GA the contract In the first place, GA has left this club In a very precarious position.

Thank goodness he's gone.

I'll always have the pleasure of watching those two goals that Ainsworth scored against Rushden & Diamonds. Two of the best goals I have ever witnessed a QPR scoring with my every own eyes.

Ainsworth is a nice bloke. Spoke to him a few times during his playing days here and he always had time for the fans.

And just like Rushden and Diamonds, who don't exist anymore, Ainsworth and his managerial reign here should be consigned to the pages of history but this time never to be referred to ever again. What a disaster.

RMH_R Reborn

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 16:01 - Oct 30 with 2327 views1JD

How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 14:16 - Oct 30 by R_from_afar

Good post, the section on Ainsworth's Wycombe mirrors my experience of them.

That’s the problem when you watch only a handful of games. Or a “bit of Wycombe”. It gives a skewed view, and it also depends on your interpretation of what constitutes good football. I saw over 50+ games in the flesh over 10 years. In truth, the season ticket holders did not like the football, but liked Gareth, the style of play was long ball, “possession could do one” - a GA quote regularly served up in the bucks free press, the statistics consistently and continuously backed that up, year on year, and it’s been proved to be exactly the same as served up at QPR. However you see it differently. The data does not lie. Appreciate you are a Gareth lover R from Afar - you’ve trumpeted him all along. But even you must see you called it wrong and it’s been a disaster.
How Ainsworth’s dream job turned into his, and our, worst nightmare – Column on 20:59 - Oct 30 with 1653 viewsLordPork

I don't think we should bother going down the manager route at all....

Just cut to the chase and get one of the SAS guys off of SAS Who Dares Wins..... fact of the matter is numerous "managers" here have failed to manage, a woeful decline.

Sad sad reading Clive by 100% spot on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024