Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crystal Palace…… 22:01 - Dec 21 with 10241 viewsNoDiddley

What’s the point?
Not going to google their Premiership league finishes over the last whatever, but probably 13th, 14th, 12th, not done Europa league, no cup runs? What are they trying to achieve?
This probably applies to some other clubs but I’ve just watched them grind out a draw v Brighton!
Crystal Palace…… on 22:15 - Dec 21 with 6119 viewsMiss_Terraces

I remember a fanzine article around 94/5 comparing us to cliff Richard. We were so boring and they were even entertaining the idea that we'd be better off getting relegated.

As far as I can see, that's as good as it gets.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Crystal Palace…… on 22:18 - Dec 21 with 6078 viewsswitchingcode

That’s the ambition of many clubs just stay there and take the money stuff the cups.Best league in the world evidently
Crystal Palace…… on 22:39 - Dec 21 with 5979 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

First Premiership game i've watched all the way through in ages.

I thought QPR could have beaten either side, and would definitely have made less mistakes. That's saying something.
Crystal Palace…… on 22:56 - Dec 21 with 5930 viewsTacticalR

The point is to hang about in the Premiership. It's what Stoke and Bolton used to do, and what we couldn't manage to do.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 22:57]

Air hostess clique

Crystal Palace…… on 23:15 - Dec 21 with 5829 viewsDannyPaddox

You can call me bitter and you can call me callous
But I don’t ever wanna be like Crystal Palace

Neither up nor down nor Europa League bound
And always having to go to that poxy out-of-the-way ground

Few things in life can you truly guarantee
Except for Selhurst Park’s perpetual matchday sponsors;
Pointlessness and Ennui

I admit our last foray in Paradise was brief
But good grief
Who wants to go to the Promised Land
When the Promised Land is Thornton Heath

Your stands are choc full of Tarquins and Tristrams
The only cup you’ve won is the Zenith Data Systems
I‘ll say it once more and I’ll say it without malice
I don’t ever wanna be like Crystal Palace

[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 12:45]
Crystal Palace…… on 23:29 - Dec 21 with 5759 viewsWatford_Ranger

No cup runs apart from going out in a FA cup final, semi and quarter-final in the last seven years.
Crystal Palace…… on 23:29 - Dec 21 with 5759 viewsed_83

The point is that midtable obscurity is the only option left for small-to-medium clubs of Palace's or our size. Get into the PL, stay there for as long as possible, bank as much of the TV money as you can, hope you stay competitive.

The alternatives are finding a benevolent / clinically insane owner willing to fork out millions of quid a month to keep your club from collapsing, or reducing your costs until they're lower than your income, which would put teams like us somewhere in the bottom half of League One.

Palace fans get to watch a talented team compete with the best opposition in the country every week, safe in the knowledge that their club wouldn't immediately fall apart if the owners stopped funnelling money into it.

Which of us wouldn't take that, if we were offered it?
Crystal Palace…… on 23:49 - Dec 21 with 5712 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Crystal Palace…… on 23:29 - Dec 21 by ed_83

The point is that midtable obscurity is the only option left for small-to-medium clubs of Palace's or our size. Get into the PL, stay there for as long as possible, bank as much of the TV money as you can, hope you stay competitive.

The alternatives are finding a benevolent / clinically insane owner willing to fork out millions of quid a month to keep your club from collapsing, or reducing your costs until they're lower than your income, which would put teams like us somewhere in the bottom half of League One.

Palace fans get to watch a talented team compete with the best opposition in the country every week, safe in the knowledge that their club wouldn't immediately fall apart if the owners stopped funnelling money into it.

Genuinely, me.

For my own personal taste and relationship with QPR I could not think of anything worse (except the financial stability bit).

I’m tired of the Championship too. Please don’t jump down my throat, but if I could be assured that it wouldn’t result in financial and structural chaos I would take relegation to League One tomorrow just to play a different set of teams and see a different set of stadiums.

I’m so sick of playing fcking Preston.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 23:50]
Login to get fewer ads

Crystal Palace…… on 00:08 - Dec 22 with 5657 viewshamptonhillhoop

Crystal Palace…… on 22:15 - Dec 21 by Miss_Terraces

I remember a fanzine article around 94/5 comparing us to cliff Richard. We were so boring and they were even entertaining the idea that we'd be better off getting relegated.

As far as I can see, that's as good as it gets.

We finished 8th that season and les ferdinand scored 24 goals. I'd kill for that level of boredom now!
I have to say I have no appetite to watch wolves v Fulham, but then, what neutral wants to watch QPR v Preston? From a personal point of view, I'd rather be in Palace's position than ours at the moment
Crystal Palace…… on 00:57 - Dec 22 with 5594 viewsBoston

Crystal Palace…… on 00:08 - Dec 22 by hamptonhillhoop

We finished 8th that season and les ferdinand scored 24 goals. I'd kill for that level of boredom now!
I have to say I have no appetite to watch wolves v Fulham, but then, what neutral wants to watch QPR v Preston? From a personal point of view, I'd rather be in Palace's position than ours at the moment

Yeah, yeah I'd swap places.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Crystal Palace…… on 07:46 - Dec 22 with 5381 viewsHastings_Hoops

“Mid table obscurity is the only option left for small-to-medium clubs of Palace's or our size“

- to be fair Brighton are making a good go of it. Mid table obscurity is also held by clubs like Ch€l$€a these days it would seem.
Crystal Palace…… on 08:00 - Dec 22 with 5351 viewsswitchingcode

You make some good points and I know most of my mates would agree with you as we are in the small club category.However the reality is you have to dig deep into this TV money to just tread water so you don’t have bundles of money in the bank.Brentford have one of the smallest playing budgets in the league 85 million (unbelievable)our 15 million gate money doesn’t make much of a dent in that but obviously the TV money of around 140 mill helps.Matthew Benham has anounced he is looking for outside investment and maybe new owners as he can’t finance taking us to the next level.I expect we have reached our summit now and would expect next season to be a challenge as this season the promoted clubs looked like going straight back down and in Luton and Sheffield Uniteds case they will have banked most of the TV money so will be in a great position next season to come straight back up which opens another discussion.
I loved the championship as most of my years were watching 3rd and 4 th division football so l though the 7 plus years finishing top half and flirting with the play offs done me.Playing Chelsea’ Arsenal Spurs ect couldn’t compare with games against QPR and Fulham win or lose.VAR along with games being rescheduled constantly which make game day experience for travelling fans crap.
Crystal Palace…… on 08:10 - Dec 22 with 5339 viewsLoyalitat

There really isn't a debate to be had. This is their 10th consecutive season at the top table, might as well say 11th, as I don't see the bottom three sides getting 20 points by the season's end.

Throughout their time at the top, they've never "done a QPR"/having ideas above their station, by wasting huge amounts of money on dross like J Barton et al. A player who did next to nothing for us in the Premier League, yet he's feted for having done an okay job for us in the championship. If his wages were commensurate with the championship, then fair enough but they weren't.

Instead, they've brought in younger talents from other clubs such as: Andersen, Eze, Olise, Guehi, C Doucoure. Brought through their system: T Mitchell and recently David Ozoh. Now if that's boring, I want that in bucket loads. Well done Palace for remaining true to themselves.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 9:02]
Crystal Palace…… on 08:24 - Dec 22 with 5303 viewsdmm

Crystal Palace…… on 08:00 - Dec 22 by switchingcode

You make some good points and I know most of my mates would agree with you as we are in the small club category.However the reality is you have to dig deep into this TV money to just tread water so you don’t have bundles of money in the bank.Brentford have one of the smallest playing budgets in the league 85 million (unbelievable)our 15 million gate money doesn’t make much of a dent in that but obviously the TV money of around 140 mill helps.Matthew Benham has anounced he is looking for outside investment and maybe new owners as he can’t finance taking us to the next level.I expect we have reached our summit now and would expect next season to be a challenge as this season the promoted clubs looked like going straight back down and in Luton and Sheffield Uniteds case they will have banked most of the TV money so will be in a great position next season to come straight back up which opens another discussion.
I loved the championship as most of my years were watching 3rd and 4 th division football so l though the 7 plus years finishing top half and flirting with the play offs done me.Playing Chelsea’ Arsenal Spurs ect couldn’t compare with games against QPR and Fulham win or lose.VAR along with games being rescheduled constantly which make game day experience for travelling fans crap.

I appreciate you posting on here, switchingcode. I like your honest and knowledgeable comments. There are few who lambast you because you're a Brentford supporter but I think many more of us welcome your views. Keep posting.
Crystal Palace…… on 08:26 - Dec 22 with 5293 viewsstevec

Perhaps the OP should take a look at us and see that we’ve been doing exactly the same, just we’re doing it in the Championship whilst Palace do it in the Premier.

Very similar club and support to us, I’m not sure we are in the position to denigrate their achievements.
Crystal Palace…… on 08:30 - Dec 22 with 5284 viewsLoyalitat

Crystal Palace…… on 08:24 - Dec 22 by dmm

I appreciate you posting on here, switchingcode. I like your honest and knowledgeable comments. There are few who lambast you because you're a Brentford supporter but I think many more of us welcome your views. Keep posting.

Hear, hear to that. The posts that I have read of yours are balanced and well reasoned. Keep posting switchingcode.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 8:35]
Crystal Palace…… on 08:43 - Dec 22 with 5236 viewsNorthantsHoop

Totally agree and feel that Palace are a proper club. I would take their position any day for our beloved QPR. The only problem I foresee for Palace is that they may need to up their spending significantly to maintain their Premier league status and try and find a manager to push them up a level.
Crystal Palace…… on 08:45 - Dec 22 with 5208 viewsgazza1

Crystal Palace…… on 22:39 - Dec 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

First Premiership game i've watched all the way through in ages.

I thought QPR could have beaten either side, and would definitely have made less mistakes. That's saying something.

Are you being serious......we would not even be close.
Crystal Palace…… on 08:46 - Dec 22 with 5203 viewsgazza1

Crystal Palace…… on 23:49 - Dec 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Genuinely, me.

For my own personal taste and relationship with QPR I could not think of anything worse (except the financial stability bit).

I’m tired of the Championship too. Please don’t jump down my throat, but if I could be assured that it wouldn’t result in financial and structural chaos I would take relegation to League One tomorrow just to play a different set of teams and see a different set of stadiums.

I’m so sick of playing fcking Preston.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 23:50]

Madness......do you actually support QPR???
Crystal Palace…… on 08:51 - Dec 22 with 5169 viewsgazza1

Fair play to Palace and Brighton......doing very well indeed considering everything.

I hope that, one day, we will be a stable Premiership side so that I can see the best football, best player, best atmosphere, best everything in the world on a regular basis.

I see that the Bees have got a mention on this thread, well done to them as well. Ist is a long time since I was watching them training at Gunnersbury Park & Griffin Park led by Peter Gelson, Billy Cobb, Alan Hawley, Tom Higginson, etc, etc, etc.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 8:54]
Crystal Palace…… on 08:52 - Dec 22 with 5166 viewsdaveB

Palace have done so well the last 10 years, having a dip this season but not spent fortunes had some great games, won at Old Trafford, Man City etc, some really good and exciting young players. Their academy is outstanding, I don't think we are in any position to be pointing and saying what the point of them considering where we've spent the last decade
Crystal Palace…… on 08:56 - Dec 22 with 5140 viewsgazza1

Crystal Palace…… on 08:52 - Dec 22 by daveB

Palace have done so well the last 10 years, having a dip this season but not spent fortunes had some great games, won at Old Trafford, Man City etc, some really good and exciting young players. Their academy is outstanding, I don't think we are in any position to be pointing and saying what the point of them considering where we've spent the last decade

They have done very well. Their Academy is very good, I saw their U12's & U16's(??) play at Heston one Sunday morning, earlier in the season (October). Their U16s beat our side by 5/6 goals!!!!, so far ahead of our boys.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 8:57]
Crystal Palace…… on 09:14 - Dec 22 with 5089 viewsJimthehip

Crystal Palace…… on 08:00 - Dec 22 by switchingcode

Are you not enjoying seeing Brentford completely outplay the biggest London clubs though??

When I see Brentofrd destroying Chelsea I'm so jealous! its incredible. I think what Brentford have done over the last 15 years is arguably one of the greatest achievements in football. I know I sound like a dick when I say this, but honestly if you told me Brentford would be in this position in my lifetime I would have laughed my head off. Maybe that's the famed qpr fan false sense of superiority that's rss fans have cooked up to delude ourselves eh? ;p But nah you guys have completely shut everyone up who used to laugh at you and you're probably quadrupled the following the club has!

Make sure you enjoy these moments mate. You sound like you've followed your team loyally and had to put up with years of getting beaten regularly.

Your perspective is of interest to me also as QPR have been a struggling championship team for 30 odd years now.
Crystal Palace…… on 09:17 - Dec 22 with 5074 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Crystal Palace…… on 08:46 - Dec 22 by gazza1

Madness......do you actually support QPR???

Busted.

I just come here for the Frankie Knuckles thread.
Crystal Palace…… on 09:56 - Dec 22 with 4965 viewsjoe90

Crystal Palace…… on 07:46 - Dec 22 by Hastings_Hoops

“Mid table obscurity is the only option left for small-to-medium clubs of Palace's or our size“

- to be fair Brighton are making a good go of it. Mid table obscurity is also held by clubs like Ch€l$€a these days it would seem.

I wouldn’t describe Brighton & Hove Albion as a typical ‘mid-table obscure’ team. They’ve played exciting football for the past few seasons and have had some brilliant European games - I’d love for us to beat Ajax home and away! Must be a dream for their fans who were watching them back at the Withdean.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024