Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? 10:32 - Nov 9 with 7919 viewsBrisbaneR

I've no wish to distract from the discussion of our recent improvement in form, and this shouldn't at all - I'm just keen to hear your views given the volume of support I heard from the other side of the planet last night.
The City game in particular made me think of the old 'extra man in the stands' cliché, and the look of wonder/terror on the faces of visiting superstars who haven't played in a pokey little ground like Loftus Rd before was a joy to behold.
TF wants Rangers to be a 'global' brand - well perhaps our selling point, the differentiator, should be that we're the club where football looks and sounds like it used to? Rather than just being spectators, the intimacy of Loftus Rd means the pitch is surrounded by 18000 participants. Can we be the West London team that people think of when they imagine the atmosphere of a football match as it used to be....rather than sitting in a 'library' like that mob in SW6, waiting for an 'inevitable' win and being bored because of that inevitability?
I know and understand the arguments for a move to a new ground, but we need to be careful what we wish for. I'd happily stay small and intimate rather than growing but losing what I saw and heard against City. BTW, the support at Chelsea brought a lump to my throat even at this distance - you lot make me proud...COYR's....
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 10:48 - Nov 9 with 5015 viewsRaymond

Half of me says no as I simply love the place and to see it torn down would break my heart BUT my knee caps also have a say in this & after many a year sitting at a skewiff angle just to accomodate said knee caps it slightly outweighs the tears.

Nostalgia is fantastic but for survival we must build a new stadium.

Said with heavy heart, and sore knee caps.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 11:18 - Nov 9 with 4964 viewsbosh67

Personally I think Loftus Road is our spiritual home. I can't see the need for a ground that holds more than 25,000 people, we'd never fill it. Given technology and building I think there are a multitude of ways to redevelop the ground without increasing the footprint.

Putting on a new roof that allows more seating, taking out the boxes in SAR and returning that to seating. returning the W12 area to seating, Putting the boxes in the corner of the ground or incorporating them into a new generation roof would all be possible.

Waiting for safe standing to return and putting that in the lower Loft and school ends, all would increase the capacity safely.

Readdressing infrastructure behind the Elleslie Road stand so that the SAR stand could house more people, so splitting the offices etc down between the two sides. Building more infrastructure sub ground level in the stands for this to increase the seating areas. It's all possible and at a far lesser cost than developing an entire new area.

If Rangers want to expand the footprint they would do better to buy land and housing in the area, or work with the council to regenerate the immediate area. It's well served by stations and shopping centres, so for me, why move when with imagination and clever design, Loftus Road could actually be redeveloped as a hub for the area, without the stadium footprint expanding.

Remember we did have 33,000+ in the same area back in the 70s so a safe 25,000 can't be beyond the realms of possibility.

If the club needs more revenue, set up franchise offshoot QPR teams in the MLS, Malaysian and Indian leagues. Build the 'brand' by having the QPR brand playing in other non competitive territories and grow an academy around that principal.

So for me, no we shouldn't leave.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 11:27 - Nov 9 with 4938 viewsfrancisbowles

Adel Tarabt!

Sorry.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 12:20 - Nov 9 with 4872 viewsLoftusRdW12

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 11:27 - Nov 9 by francisbowles

Adel Tarabt!

Sorry.

If they get the design right i can't see a problem with moving.

I'm a bit concerned about the proposed location. We'll probably be in the middle of a building site for years.

"I still don't know who scored our first and third goals. I'll have a look tonight." Neil Warnock

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 12:25 - Nov 9 with 4863 viewstoboboly

Stay at loftus road would be my vote.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 13:23 - Nov 9 with 4768 viewsstowmarketrange

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 11:18 - Nov 9 by bosh67

Personally I think Loftus Road is our spiritual home. I can't see the need for a ground that holds more than 25,000 people, we'd never fill it. Given technology and building I think there are a multitude of ways to redevelop the ground without increasing the footprint.

Putting on a new roof that allows more seating, taking out the boxes in SAR and returning that to seating. returning the W12 area to seating, Putting the boxes in the corner of the ground or incorporating them into a new generation roof would all be possible.

Waiting for safe standing to return and putting that in the lower Loft and school ends, all would increase the capacity safely.

Readdressing infrastructure behind the Elleslie Road stand so that the SAR stand could house more people, so splitting the offices etc down between the two sides. Building more infrastructure sub ground level in the stands for this to increase the seating areas. It's all possible and at a far lesser cost than developing an entire new area.

If Rangers want to expand the footprint they would do better to buy land and housing in the area, or work with the council to regenerate the immediate area. It's well served by stations and shopping centres, so for me, why move when with imagination and clever design, Loftus Road could actually be redeveloped as a hub for the area, without the stadium footprint expanding.

Remember we did have 33,000+ in the same area back in the 70s so a safe 25,000 can't be beyond the realms of possibility.

If the club needs more revenue, set up franchise offshoot QPR teams in the MLS, Malaysian and Indian leagues. Build the 'brand' by having the QPR brand playing in other non competitive territories and grow an academy around that principal.

So for me, no we shouldn't leave.

Why can't we rent offices elsewhere locally,and totally rebuild the South Africa Rd stand into something much bigger?If that could be expanded to include another 4-5,000 seats,that would normally be enough.Especially if either the lower school end or the lower loft could be returned to a safe standing area.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2014 13:26]
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 14:02 - Nov 9 with 4725 viewsNov77

Have said all along I'd rather stay.
Anyone know what's happening with the artificial pitch on South Africa road? All boarded up at the moment. Have looked at Google maps, that area along with the tennis courts and the TA centre is roughly the same size as the stadium, have they looked into developing this land? Would be ideal

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 14:16 - Nov 9 with 4699 viewsDylanP

The current situation is that we are not making ends meet. We cannot sell enough tickets and other incidentals, or attract enough eyeballs (which translates to sponsorship revenue) to pay the bills. So each year we are reliant on Papa Chairman putting their hand into their pocket and bailing us out.

I would HATE to leave Loftus Road. It is hallowed ground to me and one of my favourite places in London, in spite of the sore knees. But I can see that if we are to gain stability in the long-term, we simply have no choice. Adapt and survive is sadly true in this case.

I just hope that the design of the new ground can keep the intimacy. There is not reason why they couldn't sell tickets close in first so that even when not full there fans are close to the action. There is no reason why the design cannot amplify the atmosphere rather than detract from it. In the NFL, there is a team called the Seattle Seahawks who are not a big market glamourous team. But they have lost 2 times at home in the last 4 years because their home crowd is so loud and intimidating. 70,000 people and it is so loud in that place it is incredible. Kansas City NFL team also has a stadium like theta where the ground configuration adds the atmosphere rather than detracts from it. There is no reason why that sort of ground configuration couldn't work for us.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Login to get fewer ads

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 14:17 - Nov 9 with 4696 viewsTacticalR

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 13:23 - Nov 9 by stowmarketrange

Why can't we rent offices elsewhere locally,and totally rebuild the South Africa Rd stand into something much bigger?If that could be expanded to include another 4-5,000 seats,that would normally be enough.Especially if either the lower school end or the lower loft could be returned to a safe standing area.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2014 13:26]

If we were to redevelop Loftus Road, the starting point would have to be demolishing the houses alongside the ground in Ellerslie Road and Loftus Road.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2014 14:18]

Air hostess clique

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 14:59 - Nov 9 with 4641 viewsBromleyHoop

Someone else doesn't want to leave either

http://bitly.com/1ALWzle

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 15:00 - Nov 9 with 4637 viewsstowmarketrange

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 14:17 - Nov 9 by TacticalR

If we were to redevelop Loftus Road, the starting point would have to be demolishing the houses alongside the ground in Ellerslie Road and Loftus Road.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2014 14:18]

I was looking for the cheapest option.When buying people's homes come into it,there will be objections and therefore more expense.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 15:01 - Nov 9 with 4630 viewsSpiritofGregory

New and bigger stadium in local area. Problem with Loftus Rd is that it's hemmed in by housing. Be difficult to knock down housing in a city that has a housing crisis. We came very close to buying land where the White City stadium stood, big mistake not buying that land when it was going for peanuts.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 15:02 - Nov 9 with 4626 viewsSonofNorfolt

Our ground is s.hite.
The sooner we leave the better, and at least 35000.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 17:00 - Nov 9 with 4512 viewsCamberleyR

In terms of capacity our ground is League One. There are 20 grounds with bigger capacity in the Championship, 9 in League One and 1 in League Two (Fratton Park). So that is 49 clubs with bigger grounds. Not to mention the majority of those having bigger and superior corporate facilities.

I love Loftus Road as much as anyone but staying where we are ultimately means a situation of managed decline and unless we manage to keep wealthy owners, a natural state of affairs of bobbing between the second and third tiers.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2014 17:04]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 18:26 - Nov 9 with 4407 viewsBlackCrowe

I will personally miss the ever-present box of rat poison lying on the ground about 5 metres away from the food bar in the east paddock. I kid you not.

I would also miss the single hand dryer in the gents with as much power as gentle summer's breeze.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 18:31 - Nov 9 with 4398 viewsLowerloftLad

Were not a big club so we don't need a big ground simples

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 18:32 - Nov 9 with 4393 viewsloftboy

The only reason we are moving is so the investors can make a killing on the house sales, at the end of the day we are only a small part of the bigger picture/plan

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 18:39 - Nov 9 with 4375 viewsrichranger

Good point. Yesterday's atmosphere was something special - and I doubt we'd get such noise at a new ground. We were definitely the '12th man yesterday (we need to be - Citeh had 15 men - including the ref and linos!)
Yes, Loftus road has it's faults (took all of half time just to get to loo and back!) I can forgive those for games like yesterday. Let's stay where we are.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 18:45 - Nov 9 with 4365 viewspaulparker

Yes, Yes & Yes to staying,
i was one of those who was slaughted on this MB for wanting to stay a while back
i dont want to be a big club in a souless bowl
so what if we get more leg room who cares , when the atmosphere was like yesterday we stand head & shoulders above any stadium
We Are QPR, this is our cave & long may it continue

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 20:07 - Nov 9 with 4271 viewsHollowayRanger

not me

never ever have wanted to leave

got what I consider to be the best seat (not that i ever sit in it) in the house

so how can I beat that at a new stadium

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 20:14 - Nov 9 with 4243 viewsclassof93

If standing was brought back (i.e in the loft) then could increase capacity without moving....wont happen though. All seater stadiums were not great for clubs qprs size....totally get the reasons for bringing them in though.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 20:25 - Nov 9 with 4210 viewsGloryHunter

I don't want to leave. I just want to be able to buy a pint before the game, and a pint and a pie at half time. I was unable to do either yesterday, because the B&W bar was under-staffed, and the kiosk on the upper loft concourse adjacent to LU was closed, again. So around 20 quid stayed in my pocket. If the club wanted to make money, they could start by taking it off the queues of fans who would just love to exchange it for drinks and food, if only they could.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 20:26 - Nov 9 with 4207 viewsAntti_Heinola

I don't want to leave particularly.
But it's either major, major renovations - ie completely rebuilding of probably three if not all four stands - or leave, because at the moment, much as I love it, it's falling to bits and it just isn't fit for purpose long term. Debates about how many we can attract are irrelevant to some extent. No one knows for sure either way, and the fact is, what brings people to football is success and entertainment. And if you marry that with a spacious ground where home fans have a few more options than the crappy food and drink options currently available, chances are you'll get more through the turnstiles.

Bare bones.

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 20:32 - Nov 9 with 4196 viewsYorkRanger

Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 20:26 - Nov 9 by Antti_Heinola

I don't want to leave particularly.
But it's either major, major renovations - ie completely rebuilding of probably three if not all four stands - or leave, because at the moment, much as I love it, it's falling to bits and it just isn't fit for purpose long term. Debates about how many we can attract are irrelevant to some extent. No one knows for sure either way, and the fact is, what brings people to football is success and entertainment. And if you marry that with a spacious ground where home fans have a few more options than the crappy food and drink options currently available, chances are you'll get more through the turnstiles.

Agree. Anyone who wants to use the toilet at half time in Ellerslie Rd will know why - primitive.
Who WANTS to leave Loftus Rd? on 21:37 - Nov 9 with 4113 viewsBedford_R

I want us to leave. I sit on am aisle seat as I physically cannot put my legs straight out in front of me. When I go to Arsenal and Wembley (and even Stamford Bridge I can).

The facilities are naff at Loftus Road also. It was slightly better when we had a member's bar in South Africa road but now it is just the pits.

Move to somewhere more amicable so my knees don't take a killing each game. And I'd spend more money in the club before and after each game if there were facilities I could make use of. Like a decent bar and a decent restaurant.

RMH_R Reborn

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024