Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren Agreed Terms? 15:02 - May 9 with 47181 viewsMaggsinho

Appreciate there's already a McClaren thread but, well, you know...

Anyway, according to Laurie Whitwell, Midlands football correspondent of the Mail, McClaren has agreed terms with the club.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:22 - May 9 with 3362 viewsPunteR

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 17:58 - May 9 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree.

Fernandes appearing on the podcast could well now be interpreted as a pre-meditated attempt to soften up the ground for this. Not saying it was, but we can't help but wonder all the same.

I think your right there Brian.
Everyone picked up on it and has built a bit more momentum since then.
You would like to think TF and Co already made a decision and spoke to Ollie first to tell him before dropping hints to fans and the media .
But obviously they didn't.
Its real shame they've decided to handle the switcharoo of managers like this if indeed it is definitely happening.
When is TF going to learn to keep his mouth shut? He loves the attention that bloke.
Tbf on TF it does seem like things are filtering out of the club by other sources as well.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:24 - May 9 with 3354 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:14 - May 9 by simmo

I remember that and specifically thinking that he really knows his stuff about us. Most pundits just trot out general shite but he knew we changed things up from a wing back system recently and which younger players were just coming through. At the time I put it down to him doing his homework and having an interest in a club he knew well (showing his knowledge for potential employers), but in hindsight he could well have already been in early stages for replacing Holloway.

Whether that's the case or not, as usual with QPR this doesnt seem to be dealt with well and I'm sorry to say is indicative of Fernandes and his penchant for change and 'the next thing'. We're seeing stability at last, despite his unhelpful social media interjections, and it seems like we're adding to the upheaval of losing senior playing staff by also switching up the management. That's not to say this change (if it happens) won't be an improvement, in theory it could and should suit where we are at the moment, but after years of building up a club populated with people that have some QPR DNA it seems unfair to terminate the contracts of 2 proper QPR men, especially when they've done what's been asked of them up to this point in their tenure.

Do you know what, mate, I had the same weird feeling watching that. It immediately reminded me of Ollie's scathing assessment of us against Brentford when we were on TV before he took over. Not saying Ollie was pitching for the job then or anything, just that it reminded me of it in the sense that with Ollie I thought 'Christ, he's being a bit harsh here, he obviously still really cares and us losing really hurts him.' And then with McClaren I thought 'blimey, he has a soft spot for us, doesn't he? Unlike Andy fkn Hinchcliffe.' I didn't even consider he might be our next boss, but something definitely jarred a bit about it.

As for how the club is handling it, in a sense they're doing the right thing and saying nothing. But two mistakes have been made. One was TF being too honest on the podcast - the question he was given about Holloway was a real gentle one. Everyone expected him to say: 'It's been tough, but look how we're coming through this, I love his passion' etc. Instead, he hedged, and hedged very obviously, to the point where he couldn't even say Ollie's name. By contrast, he did also subtly criticise LF, but at least used his name and said he was confident he'd learn and improve. There was an obvious difference there. TF needed to be more guarded there. Something subtly non-committal would have helped enormously.

The second mistake was the leak. Who told whom they were looking at McClaren? This should never have happened. the club has been better with leaks lately, but this was poor. At the very least Ollie should hear from LF or TF first, not from newspaper reports or online tittle-tattle. There is a genuine argument that he could be replaced, but so far they haven't handled it well - although it's an exceedingly difficult thing to handle. If all this is true, they'd be well-advised to sort it out asap now and not let it drag on.

Bare bones.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:25 - May 9 with 3332 viewsBrianMcCarthy

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:14 - May 9 by simmo

I remember that and specifically thinking that he really knows his stuff about us. Most pundits just trot out general shite but he knew we changed things up from a wing back system recently and which younger players were just coming through. At the time I put it down to him doing his homework and having an interest in a club he knew well (showing his knowledge for potential employers), but in hindsight he could well have already been in early stages for replacing Holloway.

Whether that's the case or not, as usual with QPR this doesnt seem to be dealt with well and I'm sorry to say is indicative of Fernandes and his penchant for change and 'the next thing'. We're seeing stability at last, despite his unhelpful social media interjections, and it seems like we're adding to the upheaval of losing senior playing staff by also switching up the management. That's not to say this change (if it happens) won't be an improvement, in theory it could and should suit where we are at the moment, but after years of building up a club populated with people that have some QPR DNA it seems unfair to terminate the contracts of 2 proper QPR men, especially when they've done what's been asked of them up to this point in their tenure.

Well put, Dave.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:30 - May 9 with 3280 viewssimmo

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 17:58 - May 9 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree.

Fernandes appearing on the podcast could well now be interpreted as a pre-meditated attempt to soften up the ground for this. Not saying it was, but we can't help but wonder all the same.

I think we can say with some conviction that this was definitely the case.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:33 - May 9 with 3248 viewsQPR_John

If this is true it has been said by many the club have not dealt with it well. What is the right way. In a years time if not sooner a decision would have had to be made. Give Holloway a new contract or not. If not when do the club decide do they delay looking for a new manager until Holloways contract is up or while he is still in charge which I imaIne some would consider the wrong way to do it. We need to plan for the future whatever way you look at it.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 18:35]
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:36 - May 9 with 3214 viewsHunterhoop

I think we need to wait and see before judging how this is being handled.

Almost all managers who are replaced are done so against their wishes.

The question is whether we have informed him once we've decided to do so or not. If we've been up front and honest, at the point the club know they're taking this decision then that's fine. Holloway's done a good job but not a great one. He can be disappointed but not bitter. Same for fans.

If we've done this all in the background, not had any conversations with Holloway, and it's leaked a day or two early, then that's poor form.

But let's wait and see.

Rumours have been about for a little while. I find it hard to believe Holloway hasn't at least asked the question before now, if he's not been spoken too. There could be more to it than we know. He might have been given clear objectives which he's missed. We don't know.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:36 - May 9 with 3200 viewssimmo

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:24 - May 9 by Antti_Heinola

Do you know what, mate, I had the same weird feeling watching that. It immediately reminded me of Ollie's scathing assessment of us against Brentford when we were on TV before he took over. Not saying Ollie was pitching for the job then or anything, just that it reminded me of it in the sense that with Ollie I thought 'Christ, he's being a bit harsh here, he obviously still really cares and us losing really hurts him.' And then with McClaren I thought 'blimey, he has a soft spot for us, doesn't he? Unlike Andy fkn Hinchcliffe.' I didn't even consider he might be our next boss, but something definitely jarred a bit about it.

As for how the club is handling it, in a sense they're doing the right thing and saying nothing. But two mistakes have been made. One was TF being too honest on the podcast - the question he was given about Holloway was a real gentle one. Everyone expected him to say: 'It's been tough, but look how we're coming through this, I love his passion' etc. Instead, he hedged, and hedged very obviously, to the point where he couldn't even say Ollie's name. By contrast, he did also subtly criticise LF, but at least used his name and said he was confident he'd learn and improve. There was an obvious difference there. TF needed to be more guarded there. Something subtly non-committal would have helped enormously.

The second mistake was the leak. Who told whom they were looking at McClaren? This should never have happened. the club has been better with leaks lately, but this was poor. At the very least Ollie should hear from LF or TF first, not from newspaper reports or online tittle-tattle. There is a genuine argument that he could be replaced, but so far they haven't handled it well - although it's an exceedingly difficult thing to handle. If all this is true, they'd be well-advised to sort it out asap now and not let it drag on.

I don't think it's any coincidence that a lot of this PR mess has come about immediately after Ian Taylor left. It shows what a great job he was doing to keep Fernandes on a short lead and I wouldn't be surprised if both the issues with the podcast interview and the leak didn't get stopped at source if he was still in control.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:40 - May 9 with 3152 viewsVancouverHoop

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:36 - May 9 by simmo

I don't think it's any coincidence that a lot of this PR mess has come about immediately after Ian Taylor left. It shows what a great job he was doing to keep Fernandes on a short lead and I wouldn't be surprised if both the issues with the podcast interview and the leak didn't get stopped at source if he was still in control.

I agree. It's been over a week since the first rumour appeared on here and, no doubt, elsewhere. One way or another the club should have got in front of it long before now.
Login to get fewer ads

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:42 - May 9 with 3126 viewssimmo

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:36 - May 9 by Hunterhoop

The question is whether we have informed him once we've decided to do so or not. If we've been up front and honest, at the point the club know they're taking this decision then that's fine. Holloway's done a good job but not a great one. He can be disappointed but not bitter. Same for fans.

If we've done this all in the background, not had any conversations with Holloway, and it's leaked a day or two early, then that's poor form.

But let's wait and see.

Rumours have been about for a little while. I find it hard to believe Holloway hasn't at least asked the question before now, if he's not been spoken too. There could be more to it than we know. He might have been given clear objectives which he's missed. We don't know.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:48 - May 9 with 3068 viewsPunteR

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:42 - May 9 by simmo

Does David McIntyre hide under the desk in the QPR office?

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:48 - May 9 with 3063 viewsBrianMcCarthy

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:36 - May 9 by Hunterhoop

But let's wait and see.

I agree we should wait. My posts were me wondering, that's all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:51 - May 9 with 3035 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

There are some managers that I couldn't blame QPR for pursuing, but McClaren isn't one of them.

Risky as fck in my opinion, and could reverse our good work in putting QPR people into QPR jobs.

If Holloway wants out then fair enough, but if he's being forced out for McClaren then fck the board.

As Hunter says, wait and see.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 18:52]
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:54 - May 9 with 2986 viewsQPR_John

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:51 - May 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

There are some managers that I couldn't blame QPR for pursuing, but McClaren isn't one of them.

Risky as fck in my opinion, and could reverse our good work in putting QPR people into QPR jobs.

If Holloway wants out then fair enough, but if he's being forced out for McClaren then fck the board.

As Hunter says, wait and see.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 18:52]

So only QPR people can manage the club
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:56 - May 9 with 2978 viewsSimonJames

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:21 - May 9 by WilloW4

I saw a mate of mine at the weekend who has a few mates who work quite high up at QPR, he told me that McLaren is 100% coming to us.. and the decision was made a few weeks ago...no idea if Holloway knew/knows but it seems he must of heard the whispers... Appreciate this is hear say, but my pal was very definite....Chinese whispers and all that but seems a goer to me.

With although Chinese Whispers are you sure they didn't mean that TF is buying McLaren (maybe he didn't learn his lesson with Caterham)?

100% of people who drink water will die.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:56 - May 9 with 2970 viewsNorthernr

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 15:26 - May 9 by Northernr

If they could hold off one more day so I can get all the prep written that would be tremendous.

Ok, written now, fire at will.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:59 - May 9 with 2950 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:54 - May 9 by QPR_John

No of course not, but it's a nice bonus when it happens.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:01 - May 9 with 2922 viewsozranger

Haven't had a chance to say anything here, though it is rare I would. Still, while we are waiting to hear if this is all true and certainly believing a twitter message is similar to reading HITC, can I take something from another thread. Merging two rumours.. McLaren plus Ainsworth together with Ainsworth learning from Schteeve to eventually take over as the R's manager? Ok, time to go hide.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:01 - May 9 with 2915 viewsDorse

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:56 - May 9 by SimonJames

With although Chinese Whispers are you sure they didn't mean that TF is buying McLaren (maybe he didn't learn his lesson with Caterham)?

Chinese Whispers. Heard about that from a mate of a mate.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:02 - May 9 with 2913 viewsQPR_John

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:48 - May 9 by PunteR

Does David McIntyre hide under the desk in the QPR office?

Either that or he has spoken to Holloway. This rumour has been around for a while and if some are to be believed McLaren replacing Holloway was being discussed prior to the Fulham game. Plenty of time for Holloway to hear of it, surely it is inconceivable that he has not asked questions of the board.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:04 - May 9 with 2886 viewsPunteR

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:56 - May 9 by Northernr

Ok, written now, fire at will.

Took you 3 hrs, Maclaren better come now ..lol

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:07 - May 9 with 2863 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:54 - May 9 by QPR_John

You can criticise the club for many things but not that! We've had 20 managers in 20 years or thereabouts.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 19:07]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:07 - May 9 with 2855 viewsQPR_John

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 18:59 - May 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

No of course not, but it's a nice bonus when it happens.

"Risky as fck in my opinion, and could reverse our good work in putting QPR people into QPR jobs. "

Of course it would be a nice bonus but from what you say you think employing a "non qpr" manager (for want of a better phrase) is risky
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:09 - May 9 with 2832 viewsQPR_John

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:07 - May 9 by CliveWilsonSaid

You can criticise the club for many things but not that! We've had 20 managers in 20 years or thereabouts.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 19:07]

I never criticised the club I never said the club should only employ QPR people
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:10 - May 9 with 2825 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:07 - May 9 by QPR_John

"Risky as fck in my opinion, and could reverse our good work in putting QPR people into QPR jobs. "

Of course it would be a nice bonus but from what you say you think employing a "non qpr" manager (for want of a better phrase) is risky

It's risky because it's McClaren not because it's non QPR.

14 jobs in 22 years! Thats a worse record than Mr Benn.

[Post edited 9 May 2018 19:12]
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:13 - May 9 with 2781 viewsQPR_John

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 19:10 - May 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

It's risky because it's McClaren not because it's non QPR.

14 jobs in 22 years! Thats a worse record than Mr Benn.

[Post edited 9 May 2018 19:12]

Then why bring up the subject his appointment could reverse our good work in putting QPR people into QPR jobs. There are very few managers out there that are QPR people
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024