Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren Agreed Terms? 15:02 - May 9 with 47175 viewsMaggsinho

Appreciate there's already a McClaren thread but, well, you know...

Anyway, according to Laurie Whitwell, Midlands football correspondent of the Mail, McClaren has agreed terms with the club.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:41 - May 10 with 2996 viewsSnipper

I said on a thread a few months back that we can’t go into next season with Ian Holloway as manager and Marc Bircham as coach. I still stand by that.

Ollie has done what he was asked to do, slash the wage bill, get rid of the deadwood, blood youngsters and bring back togetherness.

My big gripe with him though is his constant bloody tinkering. He doesn’t know the best formation for the team, or the starting XI for whatever formation he chooses.

I’m not alone in thinking that we do have a decent squad that a good tactical coach would do a lot better with. Steve McLaren is a proven good coach, who in my opinion, would be better than what we currently have. I also like the sound of having Lee Carsley here too as coach/assistant coach.

I implicitly trust Les Ferdinand and Lee Hoos to do what’s right.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 9:41]
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:42 - May 10 with 2982 viewsswisscottage

Dave MC has never liked Holloway. Would frequently stick it too him in his first stint as manager, so as far as his opinion goes on Holloway, I'm none too interested in hearing it.

He's managed 7 clubs covering 16 seasons , 1 outright promotion, two playoff promotions, three other playoffs qualifications, and four relegations.

How many managers out there have a 37.5% strike rate at getting a club into the playoffs or promoted(Other than Colin of course)? For people to say he's not capable of taking us further don't know what they're talking about...... in my opinion.
McCl donaren Agreed Terms on 09:42 - May 10 with 2981 viewsEsox_Lucius

McCl donaren Agreed Terms on 08:32 - May 10 by Northernr

This is one of the problems people need to get their head around. You're never going to get a manager that does everything you want. There's always going to be a player left out or a formation change or a substitution you don't like. The atmosphere at the ground has improved immeasurably since the Chris Ramsey era, when frankly we behaved appallingly, but there are still Twitter accounts that exist purely to absolutely coat Holloway off, and they'll be exactly the same with his replacement, and Fernandes reads all of it and is affected by it.

If that is the case, and I have no reason to doubt you, it is a good job that Kamarudin Meranun and Ruben Gnanalingam are much more in the driving seat these days and have a much lower profile with the so called fans on social media. Is TF the clubs designated whipping boy now?

The grass is always greener.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:42 - May 10 with 2979 viewsSpanishranger

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 08:11 - May 10 by rsonist

"Ollies done what most on here wanted and what TF and Co wanted."

I'd say that this can both be true and that it can also still be the right time to part ways, to attempt to take a bigger step forward. The remit of the job when he was hired and as it is now has changed, precisely because Ollie has succeeded in certain respects and helped lay a foundation that wasn't quite there before.

A technical McLaren type coach would have had a very difficult job immediately after JFH with the discord and spite around the club at the time (hence TF emphasising Ian Taylor's input..). Likewise, if someone else had got us to the position we're in today, would Ollie be your best candidate for the job description now?

You might say Olllie's earned the right to lead this next step - but is there really evidence there that he can change his stripes the way we'd need him to?

I think it is fair to say that the majority of people that want Ollie to stay are motivated not out of faith in progress but out of fear that we will regress. (And I don't entirely disagree).

I agree with rsonist. I love Ollie from when he was a player and have huge respect for the work he has done in galvanising the club and the majority of supporters. But on the pitch I still see some bizare performances and selection decisions and for me, this is probbaly the right moment to make the change. I think the McLaren/Carsley option could be good for bringing on the youth players and I wonder whether the impact of Ramsey behind the scenes has shown the Board there is an opportunity to grow a successful side through youth with a management team who have a strong reputation for working with young players. Unfortunately, I don't think this is Ollie - he will continue to get some good results and for sure will get 100% effort out of his teams, but developing players for me is not his strong point.

As a parallel - I have worked in several compaines where people have been bought in to turn the business or department around but as soon as progress starts to be made, they get replaced. For many employees this is crazy, but actually it makes a lot of sense, as most managers have specific skill sets which suit a business at a certain point but can be unsuitable in the longer term.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:43 - May 10 with 2962 views2Thomas2Bowles

swisscottage

Bullseye.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 9:44]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:47 - May 10 with 2935 viewsGloryHunter

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 22:11 - May 9 by dolcelatte

Don't often agree with Dave McIntyre but he sums up my feelings about IH pretty well..

"Maybe. But you'll never have stability with such a volatile manager, changing his mind every five minutes, likes players then doesn't, slagging all and sundry off, whipping up opposition fans and more. Club has young players who need steady guidance."
[Post edited 10 May 2018 5:55]

Where does that Dave Mac quote come from, please?
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:53 - May 10 with 2872 viewspaulparker

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 17:39 - May 9 by Northernr

I don't think it's being handled at all well.

perhaps TF could have those words on his tombstone

so what happens next year if we finish 16th or 17th do we sack McLaren and get someone else in ?
TF speaks a good game and most of you lot are taken in by it , perhaps its the smile , cast your minds back to after our disaster of a relegation season , TF came out and spoke about stability and building something , well we have had chris ramsey, 6 months , JFH 18 months and Olly not even doing 24 months how is that stability since being relegated ? he cannot help himself and he never will ,
I feel sorry for Hollway a QPR man who came in and done what he was asked and is stabbed in the back a second time and for Bircham who up rooted his family from the states to come back to this club that he loves
you talk about training grounds , new stadiums , this that and the other its all TF bullsh1t its never going to happen we are never going to progress with him and his motley crew
pulling the strings , I expect the usual vitrol from the usual suspects but I for one will celebrate when this impeccable sells the club

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:01 - May 10 with 2823 viewsMaggsinho

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:47 - May 10 by GloryHunter

Where does that Dave Mac quote come from, please?

Here you go:

Login to get fewer ads

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:13 - May 10 with 2710 viewskingo

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:53 - May 10 by paulparker

so what happens next year if we finish 16th or 17th do we sack McLaren and get someone else in ?
TF speaks a good game and most of you lot are taken in by it , perhaps its the smile , cast your minds back to after our disaster of a relegation season , TF came out and spoke about stability and building something , well we have had chris ramsey, 6 months , JFH 18 months and Olly not even doing 24 months how is that stability since being relegated ? he cannot help himself and he never will ,
I feel sorry for Hollway a QPR man who came in and done what he was asked and is stabbed in the back a second time and for Bircham who up rooted his family from the states to come back to this club that he loves
you talk about training grounds , new stadiums , this that and the other its all TF bullsh1t its never going to happen we are never going to progress with him and his motley crew
pulling the strings , I expect the usual vitrol from the usual suspects but I for one will celebrate when this impeccable sells the club

I was lucky enough to see the rise of my team under Jim Gregory. I protested against Richard Thompson and thought that QPR fan Chris Wright was our saviour (how wrong I was). I endured being called a nothing by a fat Italian and a dwarf. So despite some of his failings, I will take TF and the current board. Thanks very much.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 10:15]

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:14 - May 10 with 2705 viewsDorse

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 20:18 - May 9 by londonranger

Clive's got about 12 of these things at all times ready depending on who's coming in & who's going out.

You should see the 'Pards Pardew Plays Part' article or the 'Curbishley - Messiah' ones. Mind you, the best by far is 'Harry To Bring Back The Good Times'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:21 - May 10 with 2650 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 23:46 - May 9 by PunteR

Ollies done what most on here wanted and what TF and Co wanted.
We didnt go on mad losing runs like last season, we had youth players genuinely breaking through. There wasnt loads of boring 0-0, we scored goals from all over the pitch, notably from midfield where it had been lacking. The players worked hard on the pitch and there seemed to be a good team spirit.
Everybody knows Ollie wears his heart on his sleeve and loves the club. He was brought in to try and get the old rangers back and i felt he was achieving that.
Yes there were a few dodgy patches this season and i think a lot of posters on here that know a thing or two about the club were right to say lets assess at the end of the season.
If we won at leeds i feel the general mood around the place would be better. To finish the season on a defeat and in the manner of the defeat really hasnt helped Ollie and has probably swayed people more in the Ollie out camp.
I had my Ollie out moments during the season and tbh i wasn't sure about him returning in the first place but towards the end of the season there seemed more plus's then negatives. What do i know.?
I actually think Mclaren will be ok here. Give it another year though and we'll probably back to talking about a new manager. Thats football i guess.
I just want to see our club do well.

Hmm... not sure about this Punter.
We absolutely did go on big losing runs - another 6 in a row only halted by that ridiculous comeback v Brentford (just before that we went 7 without a win). We struggled until the last quarter of the season to score goals - we didn't score three in a game until January. And as Clive has said, our away form is woeful. The reason there weren't loads of 0-0s was mainly because defensively we've been pretty bad all season. 70 goals conceded, other than the relegated three, only Bolton conceded more.

It sounds like they've actually been looking at this for a few months though, doesn't it? I think after Forest, most fans would probably have agreed a change was due at the end of the season. However, we then had some great results and performances, making the possible decision look stranger than it would have done in Feb.

Agree with your final sentiment totally mate!

Bare bones.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:23 - May 10 with 2631 viewshoopdog

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:01 - May 10 by Maggsinho

Here you go:

McIntyre you talk like a right Pratt you do more slagging of of the club than anybody because you aren't privy to inside info ,
If Ollie is being let go it's a very shortsighted view half way through a job ! will Mclaren reverse the youth policy to bring older players to try to achieve a high finish ? Anybody know has he a track record of working with young players ?
If Ollie goes I hope it's off his own bat rather than being pushed
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:30 - May 10 with 2573 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:53 - May 10 by paulparker

There is stability though. Hoos, Ferdinand, Ramsey. These are now pillars of the club working towards a specific goal. Changing the manager these days is not so different from selling a player or two. Hardly anyone sticks with a manager longer than 24 months. Th stability thing is something to desire, but we're actually in a position now, and were last summer and in Jan, where we didn't need to sell 6 and buy 6. That's more stability than we've had since... well, pre-Paladini, certainly. So things are moving in the right direction. And that's not me thinking TF is impeccable at all. He's made a million mistakes. But it's tough. We've argued this before, but it took Levy about a decade to start lining up his ducks, the same to get a training ground, longer to get the new ground (and that's after losing out on his first choice - all stuff that would have got him called Bungle on here) and he's seen as some sort of genius.

Bare bones.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:32 - May 10 with 2560 views2Thomas2Bowles

McIntyre slatted IH the last time, that ended well with how many managers before NW. 12?

Blokes a nob.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 10:36]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:37 - May 10 with 2535 viewsA40Bosh

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 17:39 - May 9 by Northernr

I don't think it's being handled at all well.

What are the options here for "the club" and what actually needs to be handled?

I think the fact that the Media department has not rushed out some video last week or this week with Les and Ian talking about their plans for the summer and for next season and some old blarney that is meant as a "Ollie is not going anywhere" statement to scorch the rumours, speaks volumes too.

Something is going on behind the scenes and as usual "First and Fastest" means Morissey has picked up the Taylor mantle of maintaining radio silence on the media front until the ink is dry.

So this is purely down to Fernandes and is going to be viewe as yet another PR disaster because comes on to Open All Rs and says "ask me anything" and appears to answer stuff openly, and at face value, perhaps largely honestly, but only he will know how honest. Then when asked about the manager his responses sounded somewhat distant and detached. He then appeared to make the suggestion that things are being looked at - honest?.

So do we want honesty and transparancy? perhaps, but only when it suits us, and at all other times, do we prefer either radio silence (don't come on the Podcast at all), the false backing of a manager (later to be called out on being a bullsh*tter or liar when Ollie leaves) or the usual corporate smoke and mirrors bull to swerve actually answering the question (i.e. Thurs night BBC1 Question Time)

So the minute I heard TF's comments on the pod about Ollie and his reference to Ollie as "he" this and "him" that, and not "Ollie" or "Ian" the alarm bells started ringing for me. So he is telling the fans that a change may have to happen. But, we don't want to hear that in advance, we dont want or need transparancy from our owner then. We would much prefer total radio silence from the club and owners until on Friday Lunchtime on 11th May a surprise press conference is hastily convened and Schteve Mc is paraded out and there is some old flannel statement on the website about wishing Ollie all the best for what he has done for the club but a change is ....... blah........blah..

This whole thing may be a pack of lies from start to finish, but the fact that the club have not responded to rumours now in the gutter press and backed Ollie means it surely has to be on the cards.

I would really like to think that Ollie's comments about not wanting to go anywhere was an opportunity for him to subtly get it over to the fans that he was being kicked out rather than walking away for when the announcement gets made. I suspect that Ollie has a management team/person who represents him who will have been kicking down all the doors at LR to negotiate either an extended contract or exit package some weeks ago and Ollie is not just sitting at home chewing his nails wondering if he is going to be replaced or not.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:39 - May 10 with 2509 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

This season the necessary changes, clearing the deadwood, reducing the squad, cutting the wage bill, introducing the youngsters have all been implemented whilst avoiding relegation but there is no light at the end of the tunnel with Ollie. He deserves plenty credit for his part, in particular motivating the squad to win enough games to comfortably avoid relegation. But, apart from doing it all again, does anyone really believe that results will improve under Ollie? Meanwhile the club haemorrhages fans and the gaps in the stands grow. My daughter and I gave up our season tickets this season past because the entertainment just wasn't worth the cost and commitment. We went to a few games, most of them dire. I hate the constant changes in the team and apparent lack of any pattern or logic to what the manager is doing. That's not going to change with Ollie, bless him.

It never was true that the clubs position would preclude finding a good replacement. There's a queue round the block of useful managers whenever there is a job going in the Championship. Picking the right one for your circumstances is the tricky bit.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:43 - May 10 with 2485 viewshoopdog

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:30 - May 10 by Antti_Heinola

There is stability though. Hoos, Ferdinand, Ramsey. These are now pillars of the club working towards a specific goal. Changing the manager these days is not so different from selling a player or two. Hardly anyone sticks with a manager longer than 24 months. Th stability thing is something to desire, but we're actually in a position now, and were last summer and in Jan, where we didn't need to sell 6 and buy 6. That's more stability than we've had since... well, pre-Paladini, certainly. So things are moving in the right direction. And that's not me thinking TF is impeccable at all. He's made a million mistakes. But it's tough. We've argued this before, but it took Levy about a decade to start lining up his ducks, the same to get a training ground, longer to get the new ground (and that's after losing out on his first choice - all stuff that would have got him called Bungle on here) and he's seen as some sort of genius.

There's no stability changing a manager half way through a job !! He had a load of crap to use at the start of the season and finished the season with what looked like the foundation of a very exciting future for the club
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:43 - May 10 with 2485 viewsCammington

I couldn't sleep last night and ended up doing a lot of thinking on this.

I love Ollie. He's given us some of the best moments of recent QPR history. He's QPR through and through and no one could ever doubt his commitment. He has also done everything asked of him this season.

However for me, there's always this nagging feeling in the back of my mind of when, not if, the next collapse is coming. As Clive mentioned in the Leeds report we seem completely incapable of winning games away from home and Ollie doesn't seem to know why or how to turn that around. Draw at Fulham aside, we still struggle in anything resembling a London derby. Team selections are sometimes erratic and players that play a blinder one week suddenly end up on the bench the next. I also worry for him psychologically. I know he's been through a lot recently and sometimes in his post match stuff I do wonder if it might not be best for him to take a step back.

It's not a decision I would want to make. If the board feel a change is the best way to go then absolutely now is the right time to do it. I just hope we go about it in treating Ollie with the respect he deserves if so.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:57 - May 10 with 2376 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:43 - May 10 by hoopdog

There's no stability changing a manager half way through a job !! He had a load of crap to use at the start of the season and finished the season with what looked like the foundation of a very exciting future for the club

Well, the point I'm making is that the structure that's now in place is supposed to minimise change when a new coach comes in. For similar reasons, Watford haven't collapsed despite changing their manager every season. That's how it's done in Italy where coaches come and go all the time without teams totally tanking. Stability can't be down to one man.
Agree with you about what Ollie has done, though!

Bare bones.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:04 - May 10 with 2335 viewsBerkoRanger

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:43 - May 10 by Cammington

I love Ollie. He's given us some of the best moments of recent QPR history. He's QPR through and through and no one could ever doubt his commitment. He has also done everything asked of him this season.

However for me, there's always this nagging feeling in the back of my mind of when, not if, the next collapse is coming. As Clive mentioned in the Leeds report we seem completely incapable of winning games away from home and Ollie doesn't seem to know why or how to turn that around. Draw at Fulham aside, we still struggle in anything resembling a London derby. Team selections are sometimes erratic and players that play a blinder one week suddenly end up on the bench the next. I also worry for him psychologically. I know he's been through a lot recently and sometimes in his post match stuff I do wonder if it might not be best for him to take a step back.

It's not a decision I would want to make. If the board feel a change is the best way to go then absolutely now is the right time to do it. I just hope we go about it in treating Ollie with the respect he deserves if so.

I've always been a huge Ollie fan and actually had a pub drink with him and his wife a few years ago so have been struggling with joining this discussion but I have to say, Cammington, I agree totally with your post. Thankyou for saving me the difficulty of writing it!
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:05 - May 10 with 2330 viewspaulparker

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:57 - May 10 by Antti_Heinola

Well, the point I'm making is that the structure that's now in place is supposed to minimise change when a new coach comes in. For similar reasons, Watford haven't collapsed despite changing their manager every season. That's how it's done in Italy where coaches come and go all the time without teams totally tanking. Stability can't be down to one man.
Agree with you about what Ollie has done, though!

Watford have been very lucky so far but that model isn't going to last very long the way they are going
stability may be at board level but it needs stability on the pitch, managers have different tactics, different ideas , they rate players to other players , how is that keeping to a model ? when we keep changing it every 18 months , without Olly there would have been no manning, Freeman , Smyth , Scowen , the bloke deserves next season at the very least , if we still finish 16th then make that change but if he gets us top 10/11th then you give him another year and see what happens after that, that's what you call stability and that's what you do when you build a squad up

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:06 - May 10 with 2318 viewsNorthernr

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:43 - May 10 by Cammington

Yeh that's exactly where I am too.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:07 - May 10 with 2313 viewsdaveB

I just don't think Fernandes should have said anything about Holloway on the podcast, it was unprofessional and that is where this leak has come from.
Any journalist listening to that will probe to find more out about it and thats what has happened.

I know he wants to come across as he'll answer anything but he should have said to them before recording look we are reviewing Holloways position I can't say anymore than that so please don't ask me on the podcast as we would rather discuss this with Holloway in private.

From a football point of view I can see the argument to change things, can't say I agree with it but it's not the worst decision they've made but the way it's been done with this leak and the board not talking to Holloway is not right especially just weeks after the bloke has lost his Mum. I think he deserves a bit more honesty and respect from those above him, none of them are coming out of this very well.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:19 - May 10 with 2244 viewsloftus77

I guess I am resigning myself to the fact that the McClaren/Carsley rumours are true (Clive’s posts from last week worried me) and Ollie may soon be leaving QPR for a second time. A few things get me here:

1. Why did TF agree to do the podcast when he did if this was all going on in the background, which it must have been? Why not wait until its all been announced and sealed and then take to the airwaves, giving him a platform to explain what’s happened, why it’s happened and offering profuse thanks/gratitude to Ollie?

2. This 10th place ‘thing’ — where/when did this come from and what does it mean? Why 10th place in the Championship, where 12th place is a top-half finish. Was Ollie even aware of it at the start of the season? Was anyone? Amazing that this never leaked in the season at any point - plenty of other things do, clearly. 10th place also seemed very ambitious given the state we're told we were in. Can’t help feeling this was just offered out as a stick to beat Ollie’s with at the last minute. Shoddy, if true.

3. As you can tell, I am pro-Ollie and very concerned about all this. I have to confess that I called for him to go at the end of last season and the Carrow Road ‘car crash’ but he and his team have completely delivered this season IMHO. Strong home form, some eye-catching performances away (Fulham, Villa, ‘Boro (?), Burton), young players coming through, relegation never really an issue, safe with a month to spare. Unless there is something we, as fans, have no right to know, Ian deserves a lot lot better than this.

4. Nothing at all against McClaren/Carsley. If its true, I back them all the way. But, by God, the pressure on them is going to be immense from the word go, isn’t it? No real time to completely instill their brand of thinking/coaching on ‘Ollie’s team’. If we lose at home to Wigan, or only win, say, 3 of the first 10, you can imagine the meltdown on here?

From calm satisfaction to troubling times ahead.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 11:26]
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:26 - May 10 with 2188 viewsHooparoo

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:06 - May 10 by Northernr

Yeh that's exactly where I am too.

+1

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024