Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren Agreed Terms? 15:02 - May 9 with 48167 viewsMaggsinho

Appreciate there's already a McClaren thread but, well, you know...

Anyway, according to Laurie Whitwell, Midlands football correspondent of the Mail, McClaren has agreed terms with the club.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:09 - May 10 with 2994 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:42 - May 10 by Dando

Holloway has done a great job in terms of bringing a good feel back, bringing through young players etc.

However I personally don't think he will take us any further forward. Dropping players after they play well the week before, playing Bidwell and Pav out of position for practically the whole season, making multiple changes game after game, slagging players off in the media etc. All of these are basics that could have been avoided and would have probably kept him the job.

The overthinking and tinkering has been difficult to watch, and I expect the players also cant stand it when they dont know from one week to the next if they will play even if they have a great game.

We don't have money to spend, but why therefore not get the best use out of the players we have? Bidwell wont do that at wing back, Samuel wont do that up front alone, Pav wont do it at Wing back, etc etc. He has not helped himself there.

Only concern for me, is that Mclaren would come in with a massive task ahead. Getting the fans on his side after some will be upset and angry of the Ollie dismissal. How is the atmosphere going to be, if he doesnt get off to a great start?

And starting the season with a potentially weaker side - no Robinson (probably), no Ned, and likely no Luongo, Freeman and Smithies. Not sure the fans will give him enough time before they are on his back.

Of course its a shame its being handled this way, but for me a change was probably needed. It is a results business at the end of the day, but of course he needs a send off he deserves which is probably where this has gone tits up

Good points, although I very much doubt we'll lose Luongo, Freeman and Smithies. One of the three maybe. No one else apart from us has noticed that Smithies is any good and it would take bids of upwards of £5m for either Luongo or Freeman to be prised away, and I'd be surprised if we were offered that for either of them.

I think McClaren already has some goodwill because we played nice stuff under him last time he was here and all the players liked him, so I don't think there'll be fury at first, at least not towards him. But if things don't go well, yes, the fans could turn pretty quickly.

Bare bones.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:12 - May 10 with 2955 viewsDevonWhite

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:50 - May 10 by enfieldargh

What are the qualifications to be a QPR legend?

Gino Padula wouls be on many fans list but he was an average full back who was part of a promotion team.

Gino I love him.

Bobby Zamora is he a legend? Not everyone's cupo tea high earner injured most of the time infuriating sending off V Norwich/Wolves(?) but scorer of one of our most historic goals.

Not sure olly is a legend but I love him for loving us and would hate to see him treated shabbily.

I think a lot of people conflate legend with cult hero. Gino was definitely a cult hero but I don't think you'd consider him a legend. Same with people like Ainsworth and Bircham.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:19 - May 10 with 2884 viewshoopdog

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:04 - May 10 by Ashdown_Ranger

How can Holloway be called a 'bang average' manager??

Promoted Palace and BLACKPOOL FFS to the Prem - and nearly Plymouth Argyle.

Quite apart from building up QPR from the gutter of administration.

What short memories some people have...

Ah yes but Ashdown you are overlooking the fact that we have some the most brain dead fans on the plannet
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:25 - May 10 with 2803 viewsBklynRanger

People can be 'legends' at different times for different things. I've generally been proud to have Olly's passion and quirkiness at our club. That, combined with what he achieved for us in the past, has almost certainly caused me to forgive some of the more turgid patches this season. The idea that he's in any kind of discussion now is obviously Tone-spin - assuming a decision has been made it's more of an exit interview. I wish him all the best.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:28 - May 10 with 2768 viewsNov77

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:02 - May 10 by swisscottage

lol, if you seriously think anyone could have kept us up that season you are deluded. The squad he inherited would have got relegated from a pub league with Guardiola in charge.

Really? Strange then that the day he took over we weren’t even in the relegation places.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:28 - May 10 with 2753 viewsPunteR

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:21 - May 10 by Antti_Heinola

Hmm... not sure about this Punter.
We absolutely did go on big losing runs - another 6 in a row only halted by that ridiculous comeback v Brentford (just before that we went 7 without a win). We struggled until the last quarter of the season to score goals - we didn't score three in a game until January. And as Clive has said, our away form is woeful. The reason there weren't loads of 0-0s was mainly because defensively we've been pretty bad all season. 70 goals conceded, other than the relegated three, only Bolton conceded more.

It sounds like they've actually been looking at this for a few months though, doesn't it? I think after Forest, most fans would probably have agreed a change was due at the end of the season. However, we then had some great results and performances, making the possible decision look stranger than it would have done in Feb.

Agree with your final sentiment totally mate!

Yeh take your point regarding results. I did say a few dodgy patches though, i just didnt recall the 6 game losing run.

Results and performances were haphazard, i dont think anyone would argue that, but that is the nature of midtable championship football.

Unless we're tearing this league a new one i dont think we'll ever get everyone happy including TF and Co.

At the very least though it shows the board still have ambitions as i was starting to think they were going to let the club drift for a bit.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:32 - May 10 with 2716 viewsdaveB

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:41 - May 10 by Nov77

conveniently forgetting to mention he took us down to the third division, (the only manager to do so in the last sixty years).

we're hardly in a better place this time around, we were one defeat away from relegation again last season. We've lost roughly half of all the games we played under him.

Not forgetting that at all although we were pretty much doomed before he came in, that was Francis mess he inherited.

I'd say we are in a better place, the squad looks a lot better to me, a lot younger with a lot more promise, When he came in the squad was disjointed, still had the likes of Sandro hanging around now we have some pretty good players around the place who can improve. Far from perfect but in a far better place to build from now. I think he's done pretty well
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:36 - May 10 with 2675 viewsdaveB

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:28 - May 10 by Nov77

Really? Strange then that the day he took over we weren’t even in the relegation places.

he took over days after we lost 5-0 to Wimbledon and had recently lost by 5 at Preston and Sheff Wed. To blame him for that relegation would be like blaming Ramsey for the Redknapp relegation
Login to get fewer ads

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:36 - May 10 with 2663 viewsloneranger1

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:19 - May 10 by loftus77

I guess I am resigning myself to the fact that the McClaren/Carsley rumours are true (Clive’s posts from last week worried me) and Ollie may soon be leaving QPR for a second time. A few things get me here:

1. Why did TF agree to do the podcast when he did if this was all going on in the background, which it must have been? Why not wait until its all been announced and sealed and then take to the airwaves, giving him a platform to explain what’s happened, why it’s happened and offering profuse thanks/gratitude to Ollie?

2. This 10th place ‘thing’ — where/when did this come from and what does it mean? Why 10th place in the Championship, where 12th place is a top-half finish. Was Ollie even aware of it at the start of the season? Was anyone? Amazing that this never leaked in the season at any point - plenty of other things do, clearly. 10th place also seemed very ambitious given the state we're told we were in. Can’t help feeling this was just offered out as a stick to beat Ollie’s with at the last minute. Shoddy, if true.

3. As you can tell, I am pro-Ollie and very concerned about all this. I have to confess that I called for him to go at the end of last season and the Carrow Road ‘car crash’ but he and his team have completely delivered this season IMHO. Strong home form, some eye-catching performances away (Fulham, Villa, ‘Boro (?), Burton), young players coming through, relegation never really an issue, safe with a month to spare. Unless there is something we, as fans, have no right to know, Ian deserves a lot lot better than this.

4. Nothing at all against McClaren/Carsley. If its true, I back them all the way. But, by God, the pressure on them is going to be immense from the word go, isn’t it? No real time to completely instill their brand of thinking/coaching on ‘Ollie’s team’. If we lose at home to Wigan, or only win, say, 3 of the first 10, you can imagine the meltdown on here?

From calm satisfaction to troubling times ahead.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 11:26]

These are pretty much my thoughts - am also reluctantly resigned to this happening...
1) I'd have preferred the 'BS' answer rather than TF just adding to the speculation, he doesn't help himself at all. And the speculation which has followed hasn't helped anyone, just showing the club/PR/TF in a bad light for me.
2) Has to be a stick to beat Ollie with - how were we ever going to finish 10th and reach all the other objectives for last season?
3) I thought Ollie met all the objectives, but I guess I can see the argument that for us to push on, a change would become necessary at some point. I just wasn't sure whether that was now or at the end of next season
4) I'll be supporting the team from August come what may but yeah, if results/football don't look great by Autumn, meltdown ahead!

COYRS!
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:37 - May 10 with 2652 viewsNov77

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:04 - May 10 by Ashdown_Ranger

How can Holloway be called a 'bang average' manager??

Promoted Palace and BLACKPOOL FFS to the Prem - and nearly Plymouth Argyle.

Quite apart from building up QPR from the gutter of administration.

What short memories some people have...

Indeed, your memory seems to have forgotten about all the teams who were relegated under him

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:41 - May 10 with 2610 viewsNov77

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:36 - May 10 by daveB

he took over days after we lost 5-0 to Wimbledon and had recently lost by 5 at Preston and Sheff Wed. To blame him for that relegation would be like blaming Ramsey for the Redknapp relegation

He took over in February and no matter how bad we had been that season we were still outside the relegation places.

We had thirteen games left when he took over, of which we won only one and went down.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:45 - May 10 with 2564 viewsBenny_the_Ball

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 16:59 - May 9 by paulparker

I'm not sure what frightens me more about this video; Schteve's finger dancing or the sudden appearance of Caulker in the background?
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:49 - May 10 with 2526 viewsRangersw12

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:00 - May 10 by paulparker

1000 % this , some QPR fans astound me

I still haven't got over our fan base singing one Joey Barton after he took the piss out of us for a year in France

Some of the stick dished out to proper QPR people is embarrassing .
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:52 - May 10 with 2493 viewsRangersw12

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:41 - May 10 by Nov77

He took over in February and no matter how bad we had been that season we were still outside the relegation places.

We had thirteen games left when he took over, of which we won only one and went down.

Have you got a league table from when he took over as I thought we were in the relegation places after the 5-0 at Wimbledon
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:53 - May 10 with 2480 viewspaulparker

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:49 - May 10 by Rangersw12

I still haven't got over our fan base singing one Joey Barton after he took the piss out of us for a year in France

they sang that when he took the p1ss out of club legend Rodney marsh
you are right the grief we give some of our ex players and mangers especially Warnock not sending an email is embarrassing

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:56 - May 10 with 2437 viewsrobith

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:49 - May 10 by Rangersw12

I turned up to that game thinking I might actually break my rule of booing one of our own players, so my jaw hit the floor when he was cheered. Still staggers me to this day
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:57 - May 10 with 2433 viewsEsox_Lucius

If he is to go, then it would be with fonder memories now, than if it all descended into his leaving at Millwall, which I believe was his last managerial post before us.

The grass is always greener.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:59 - May 10 with 2404 viewsWatfordR

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:57 - May 10 by Esox_Lucius

If he is to go, then it would be with fonder memories now, than if it all descended into his leaving at Millwall, which I believe was his last managerial post before us.

West Lndon Sport saying Holloway gone
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:03 - May 10 with 2329 viewsNov77

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:52 - May 10 by Rangersw12

Have you got a league table from when he took over as I thought we were in the relegation places after the 5-0 at Wimbledon

Nope, we were outside the bottom three, Sheffield Wednesday were below us, they appointed Peter Shreeve at the same time we appointed Holloway, they stayed up, we went down.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:04 - May 10 with 2305 viewsFDC

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:59 - May 10 by WatfordR

Lol WLS website appears to have gone down!
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:04 - May 10 with 2293 viewsW7Ranger

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:59 - May 10 by WatfordR

Several posters are right about Dave Mc's apparent "dislike" for Olly...

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-axe-holloway-and-turn-to-mcclaren
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:05 - May 10 with 2285 viewsFDC

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:05 - May 10 with 2261 viewsconnell10

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:04 - May 10 by FDC

I think they jumped the gun , but Ian has probadly gone which is sad!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:16 - May 10 with 2063 viewsW7Ranger

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:04 - May 10 by FDC

So it has!
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 14:17 - May 10 with 2052 viewsDando

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:09 - May 10 by Antti_Heinola

Good points, although I very much doubt we'll lose Luongo, Freeman and Smithies. One of the three maybe. No one else apart from us has noticed that Smithies is any good and it would take bids of upwards of £5m for either Luongo or Freeman to be prised away, and I'd be surprised if we were offered that for either of them.

I think McClaren already has some goodwill because we played nice stuff under him last time he was here and all the players liked him, so I don't think there'll be fury at first, at least not towards him. But if things don't go well, yes, the fans could turn pretty quickly.

If at least 2 of those stay, I will be very happy indeed.

I also personally think the young players will enjoy playing under Mclaren.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024