Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren Agreed Terms? 15:02 - May 9 with 48188 viewsMaggsinho

Appreciate there's already a McClaren thread but, well, you know...

Anyway, according to Laurie Whitwell, Midlands football correspondent of the Mail, McClaren has agreed terms with the club.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:28 - May 10 with 3006 viewshoopdog

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:57 - May 10 by Antti_Heinola

Well, the point I'm making is that the structure that's now in place is supposed to minimise change when a new coach comes in. For similar reasons, Watford haven't collapsed despite changing their manager every season. That's how it's done in Italy where coaches come and go all the time without teams totally tanking. Stability can't be down to one man.
Agree with you about what Ollie has done, though!

Therefore it's change for change sake if this happens mate ! And that can't be any way run a business
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:30 - May 10 with 2992 viewsconnell10

Decision within the next few hours according to SKY.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:36 - May 10 with 2949 viewsdaveB

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 10:43 - May 10 by Cammington

I couldn't sleep last night and ended up doing a lot of thinking on this.

I love Ollie. He's given us some of the best moments of recent QPR history. He's QPR through and through and no one could ever doubt his commitment. He has also done everything asked of him this season.

However for me, there's always this nagging feeling in the back of my mind of when, not if, the next collapse is coming. As Clive mentioned in the Leeds report we seem completely incapable of winning games away from home and Ollie doesn't seem to know why or how to turn that around. Draw at Fulham aside, we still struggle in anything resembling a London derby. Team selections are sometimes erratic and players that play a blinder one week suddenly end up on the bench the next. I also worry for him psychologically. I know he's been through a lot recently and sometimes in his post match stuff I do wonder if it might not be best for him to take a step back.

It's not a decision I would want to make. If the board feel a change is the best way to go then absolutely now is the right time to do it. I just hope we go about it in treating Ollie with the respect he deserves if so.

One positive is that Holloway can once again leave with his head held high and should be seen as a legend at the club, twice he's come in wth the club in a right state and twice he has left the club in a far better state that what he found it in.

This will hurt him but he should be able to look back on this spell with a lot of pride, he's done well in very difficult curcumstances
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:39 - May 10 with 2925 viewsGloryHunter

I love Ollie, but he can also be infuriating. Ever since he came back I've been debating with myself whether he's just a harmless lovable eccentric, or is he in fact raving bonkers. Recent events have been pushing me reluctantly towards the latter.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:40 - May 10 with 2922 viewsbosh67

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:30 - May 10 by connell10

Decision within the next few hours according to SKY.

TF: Listen, Ian, if you are prepared to accept that most of the board feel that a Jaffa Cake is actually a biscuit then we can see what we can do for you next season.
Ollie: That's a tough one boss. For me the word 'cake' is a complete give away.

Pause...

TF: Let's go for a walk out on the pitch Fido.
Ollie: Fido?
TF: I mean Ian.

Some minutes later, the sound of a single muffled gunshot.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:43 - May 10 with 2896 viewsFDC

It's a tough one this. I feel bad for IH for the reasons described by others (he's done what was asked essentially, Hillsborough, the manner in which that this has come out etc). But I have to admit I've really come round to the idea that someone like McClaren could be just what is needed if QPR are to become a club that consistently brings youngsters through in to the first team, for his coaching credentials but also for the reasons Dave Mc points out: IH's temperamental style is probably not ideal for youngsters learning the ropes.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 11:44]
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:01 - May 10 with 2762 viewsNov77

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:36 - May 10 by daveB

One positive is that Holloway can once again leave with his head held high and should be seen as a legend at the club, twice he's come in wth the club in a right state and twice he has left the club in a far better state that what he found it in.

This will hurt him but he should be able to look back on this spell with a lot of pride, he's done well in very difficult curcumstances

If Holloway is a legend then you're going to have to invent a new adjective to describe the likes of Stock, Jago, Sexton, Venables,Francis etc.

Holloways entire time as manager here has being spent in the lower reaches of the 2nd division or in the 3rd division, does that make every manager we had between 1882 and 1965 a legend?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:06 - May 10 with 2714 viewsCroydonCaptJack

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:01 - May 10 by Nov77

If Holloway is a legend then you're going to have to invent a new adjective to describe the likes of Stock, Jago, Sexton, Venables,Francis etc.

Holloways entire time as manager here has being spent in the lower reaches of the 2nd division or in the 3rd division, does that make every manager we had between 1882 and 1965 a legend?

So now we have the 'legend police' do we?
It might well be too strong an adjective but he has now managed us in two difficult times as well as played for us in a great QPR team so it's hardly surprising if people hold him in high esteem is it?
Login to get fewer ads

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:10 - May 10 with 2683 viewsconnell10

In my eyes Ian is a legend , the bloke loves Rangers and if he is to be sacked i think its a disgrace! He just lost his best friend in football, then his mum , talk about kicking someone when they are down! He deserves so much better not just from the board but the fan,s as well, give the bloke the respect he deserves!

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:22 - May 10 with 2578 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:10 - May 10 by connell10

In my eyes Ian is a legend , the bloke loves Rangers and if he is to be sacked i think its a disgrace! He just lost his best friend in football, then his mum , talk about kicking someone when they are down! He deserves so much better not just from the board but the fan,s as well, give the bloke the respect he deserves!

You're confusing respect and pity. Ollie has people's respect for what he has given to the club and the job he has done. Unfortunately football is a results driven business and a pitiless mistress.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:23 - May 10 with 2556 viewsYorkRanger

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 09:41 - May 10 by Snipper

I said on a thread a few months back that we can’t go into next season with Ian Holloway as manager and Marc Bircham as coach. I still stand by that.

Ollie has done what he was asked to do, slash the wage bill, get rid of the deadwood, blood youngsters and bring back togetherness.

My big gripe with him though is his constant bloody tinkering. He doesn’t know the best formation for the team, or the starting XI for whatever formation he chooses.

I’m not alone in thinking that we do have a decent squad that a good tactical coach would do a lot better with. Steve McLaren is a proven good coach, who in my opinion, would be better than what we currently have. I also like the sound of having Lee Carsley here too as coach/assistant coach.

I implicitly trust Les Ferdinand and Lee Hoos to do what’s right.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 9:41]

Snipper just about sums up how I feel.

Whilst I would have been ok with Holloway staying, I do think a stronger coaching set up will be more progressive given the shape of the squad we have now.

I think we have achieved a lot this season and Holloway/Birch take a lot of credit for that. Will be push on better under McClaren than Holloway - my gut feel is that we probably will.

I hope Ramsey stays.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:26 - May 10 with 2520 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:05 - May 10 by paulparker

Watford have been very lucky so far but that model isn't going to last very long the way they are going
stability may be at board level but it needs stability on the pitch, managers have different tactics, different ideas , they rate players to other players , how is that keeping to a model ? when we keep changing it every 18 months , without Olly there would have been no manning, Freeman , Smyth , Scowen , the bloke deserves next season at the very least , if we still finish 16th then make that change but if he gets us top 10/11th then you give him another year and see what happens after that, that's what you call stability and that's what you do when you build a squad up

don't disagree with that tbh mate, just putting the other argument across really!

Bare bones.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:32 - May 10 with 2451 viewsdaveB

he's a legend in my eyes as he played in one of our best ever teams then came in as a manager when we were a mess and turned the club around winning promotion. He's come back with the club in a mess again and leaves us in a better place so I'd say he is a legend. If all managers between 1882 and 1965 did the same then yes they are legends as well
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:37 - May 10 with 2398 viewsNov77

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:10 - May 10 by connell10

I respected Holloway as a player, I admired him as a person, bringing up deaf children whilst commuting massively to do so I have the highest regard for.

I just think at best he is a bang average to poor manager. Calling him a legend based objectively on what he has achieved here is a manager is way OTT and in my opinion totally underserved.

don't deliberately misrepresent criticism of his performance as manager as criticism of him personally!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:40 - May 10 with 2381 viewsRBlock

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:23 - May 10 by YorkRanger

Snipper just about sums up how I feel.

Whilst I would have been ok with Holloway staying, I do think a stronger coaching set up will be more progressive given the shape of the squad we have now.

I think we have achieved a lot this season and Holloway/Birch take a lot of credit for that. Will be push on better under McClaren than Holloway - my gut feel is that we probably will.

I hope Ramsey stays.

Can't see Ramsey leaving. Very highly valued by the club, and indeed Les Ferdinand. Think it is clear how instrumental his appointment has been to the new crop of youngsters coming through. Although he took up a first team role following Fleming's departure, I think his remit is predominantly away from the first team so Mclaren/Carsley coming in shouldn't disrupt that.

I'm more fearful of Penrice going to be honest. He is loyal to Ollie, having worked with him at Bristol, us the first time around, Plymouth, Leicester. Penrice also had Ollie's ear prior to his formal appointment as 'Consultant', hence the Luke Freeman transfer. I think him going would be a big loss.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:41 - May 10 with 2377 viewsNov77

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:32 - May 10 by daveB

he's a legend in my eyes as he played in one of our best ever teams then came in as a manager when we were a mess and turned the club around winning promotion. He's come back with the club in a mess again and leaves us in a better place so I'd say he is a legend. If all managers between 1882 and 1965 did the same then yes they are legends as well

conveniently forgetting to mention he took us down to the third division, (the only manager to do so in the last sixty years).

we're hardly in a better place this time around, we were one defeat away from relegation again last season. We've lost roughly half of all the games we played under him.

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:42 - May 10 with 2349 viewsDando

Holloway has done a great job in terms of bringing a good feel back, bringing through young players etc.

However I personally don't think he will take us any further forward. Dropping players after they play well the week before, playing Bidwell and Pav out of position for practically the whole season, making multiple changes game after game, slagging players off in the media etc. All of these are basics that could have been avoided and would have probably kept him the job.

The overthinking and tinkering has been difficult to watch, and I expect the players also cant stand it when they dont know from one week to the next if they will play even if they have a great game.

We don't have money to spend, but why therefore not get the best use out of the players we have? Bidwell wont do that at wing back, Samuel wont do that up front alone, Pav wont do it at Wing back, etc etc. He has not helped himself there.

Only concern for me, is that Mclaren would come in with a massive task ahead. Getting the fans on his side after some will be upset and angry of the Ollie dismissal. How is the atmosphere going to be, if he doesnt get off to a great start?

And starting the season with a potentially weaker side - no Robinson (probably), no Ned, and likely no Luongo, Freeman and Smithies. Not sure the fans will give him enough time before they are on his back.

Of course its a shame its being handled this way, but for me a change was probably needed. It is a results business at the end of the day, but of course he needs a send off he deserves which is probably where this has gone tits up
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:50 - May 10 with 2283 viewsenfieldargh

What are the qualifications to be a QPR legend?

Gino Padula wouls be on many fans list but he was an average full back who was part of a promotion team.

Gino I love him.

Bobby Zamora is he a legend? Not everyone's cupo tea high earner injured most of the time infuriating sending off V Norwich/Wolves(?) but scorer of one of our most historic goals.

Not sure olly is a legend but I love him for loving us and would hate to see him treated shabbily.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:52 - May 10 with 2269 viewsconnell10

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:50 - May 10 by enfieldargh

What are the qualifications to be a QPR legend?

Gino Padula wouls be on many fans list but he was an average full back who was part of a promotion team.

Gino I love him.

Bobby Zamora is he a legend? Not everyone's cupo tea high earner injured most of the time infuriating sending off V Norwich/Wolves(?) but scorer of one of our most historic goals.

Not sure olly is a legend but I love him for loving us and would hate to see him treated shabbily.

Im just really hoping if Ian leaves its his own choice!

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:57 - May 10 with 2217 viewsRangersw12

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:37 - May 10 by Nov77

I respected Holloway as a player, I admired him as a person, bringing up deaf children whilst commuting massively to do so I have the highest regard for.

I just think at best he is a bang average to poor manager. Calling him a legend based objectively on what he has achieved here is a manager is way OTT and in my opinion totally underserved.

don't deliberately misrepresent criticism of his performance as manager as criticism of him personally!

If it wasn't for him in 2001 then I doubt we would have a club .

He united the fan base and made it one of the most enjoyable periods to watch Rangers for that alone he deserves legend status
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:00 - May 10 with 2186 viewspaulparker

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:57 - May 10 by Rangersw12

If it wasn't for him in 2001 then I doubt we would have a club .

He united the fan base and made it one of the most enjoyable periods to watch Rangers for that alone he deserves legend status

1000 % this , some QPR fans astound me

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:02 - May 10 with 2147 viewsswisscottage

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:41 - May 10 by Nov77

conveniently forgetting to mention he took us down to the third division, (the only manager to do so in the last sixty years).

we're hardly in a better place this time around, we were one defeat away from relegation again last season. We've lost roughly half of all the games we played under him.

lol, if you seriously think anyone could have kept us up that season you are deluded. The squad he inherited would have got relegated from a pub league with Guardiola in charge.
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:04 - May 10 with 2127 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 11:19 - May 10 by loftus77

I guess I am resigning myself to the fact that the McClaren/Carsley rumours are true (Clive’s posts from last week worried me) and Ollie may soon be leaving QPR for a second time. A few things get me here:

1. Why did TF agree to do the podcast when he did if this was all going on in the background, which it must have been? Why not wait until its all been announced and sealed and then take to the airwaves, giving him a platform to explain what’s happened, why it’s happened and offering profuse thanks/gratitude to Ollie?

2. This 10th place ‘thing’ — where/when did this come from and what does it mean? Why 10th place in the Championship, where 12th place is a top-half finish. Was Ollie even aware of it at the start of the season? Was anyone? Amazing that this never leaked in the season at any point - plenty of other things do, clearly. 10th place also seemed very ambitious given the state we're told we were in. Can’t help feeling this was just offered out as a stick to beat Ollie’s with at the last minute. Shoddy, if true.

3. As you can tell, I am pro-Ollie and very concerned about all this. I have to confess that I called for him to go at the end of last season and the Carrow Road ‘car crash’ but he and his team have completely delivered this season IMHO. Strong home form, some eye-catching performances away (Fulham, Villa, ‘Boro (?), Burton), young players coming through, relegation never really an issue, safe with a month to spare. Unless there is something we, as fans, have no right to know, Ian deserves a lot lot better than this.

4. Nothing at all against McClaren/Carsley. If its true, I back them all the way. But, by God, the pressure on them is going to be immense from the word go, isn’t it? No real time to completely instill their brand of thinking/coaching on ‘Ollie’s team’. If we lose at home to Wigan, or only win, say, 3 of the first 10, you can imagine the meltdown on here?

From calm satisfaction to troubling times ahead.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 11:26]

Number 4 is a bit of a worry for me too but at least we’ve got a full summer to mull things over and that’s football I guess. Certainly at QPR anyway.

I’m not sure I agree with a few posters referring to the loss of Holloway’s mum and Ray Wilkins as being a factor. It looks like the board have been looking at a change for sometime and it wouldn’t be right to keep Holloway on for those reasons alone.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:04 - May 10 with 2123 viewsAshdown_Ranger

How can Holloway be called a 'bang average' manager??

Promoted Palace and BLACKPOOL FFS to the Prem - and nearly Plymouth Argyle.

Quite apart from building up QPR from the gutter of administration.

What short memories some people have...
McClaren Agreed Terms? on 13:06 - May 10 with 2103 viewsCroydonCaptJack

McClaren Agreed Terms? on 12:52 - May 10 by connell10

Im just really hoping if Ian leaves its his own choice!

Agreed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024