Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planning permission help needed 00:50 - Jan 3 with 3488 viewswombat

Was out in the garden having a ciggie today a nd my Chelsea fan neighbour informed me he was looking to stick a single story extension on his house .

Where do I stand on opposing this ?
It will affect sunshine coming into our garden when we actually get some that is .
Don’t fancy what was a nice view being changed to a brick wall when I’m in the garden

3 he’s a Chelsea fan smug git as usual

Any help greatfully received

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Planning permission help needed on 03:12 - Jan 3 with 2878 viewssmegma

stab him to death.
Planning permission help needed on 04:51 - Jan 3 with 2857 viewsOutWestR

If/when he submits a planning application you can submit your objection through the council website. Keep an eye out for his application as a copy of it should be attached outside the property, usually to the nearest lampost, or keep checking the website. When you submit your objection include a photo (ideally when the sun comes out!) to demonstrate where it’ll be blocked.
Objections need to be factual and not emotional, but if you google it you can find some good suggestions as to what to include.
Good luck!
Planning permission help needed on 05:45 - Jan 3 with 2825 viewsloftboy

If it’s less than 3 metres then he doesn’t need planning permission it would be done under permitted development, the council will pop in during building to make sure refs are being met, had one done on my old house before the ex cleared off.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 5:45]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Planning permission help needed on 07:03 - Jan 3 with 2787 viewskingo

Permitted development rights have been increased and depending on circumstances, a 6 or 8 m deep single storey extension can be added. This does not need planning permission but does need an application to be submitted for prior approval and as an immediate neighbour you can object on grounds of overshadowing, loss of amenity etc.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Planning permission help needed on 07:38 - Jan 3 with 2741 viewskernowhoop

Find your local councillor and get him round to see the problem from where you stand. Light can be an issue, but, note that we don't usually own the view from the property or have a right to it.
Planning permission help needed on 07:39 - Jan 3 with 2741 viewsenfieldargh

Enfield council accept anything if its going to increase their revenues.

Bustard at the bottom of my garden is exteding his first floor the complete width of my garden. Already goes half way. Its going to be like having the Berlin Wall out of my kitchen window

Objected but its sill gone through

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Planning permission help needed on 07:51 - Jan 3 with 2706 viewsBoston

Great Crested Newts.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Planning permission help needed on 07:51 - Jan 3 with 2713 viewsHantsR

As has been said, depending on the size and latest regulations, your neighbour would have to process an application through the council for planning and building regulation purposes. As your immediate neighbour, the council are obliged to inform you directly and you would be entitled to have your say. Views and rights of light are difficult to defend unless you have a restrictive covenant, easement etc. I get informed about any application within 750m of my property via email so I find that useful to monitor developments. Planning authorities provide advice on possible grounds for objection and these can be interpreted to suit your needs, but not always easy. I managed to successfully object to a neighbour's plans based on them being visually intrusive, out of character with the area, being overlooked, privacy etc together with some alternative proposals. One needs to avoid being personal and unemotional.
Login to get fewer ads

Planning permission help needed on 08:21 - Jan 3 with 2662 viewsKonk

Dear Planning Dept,

The bloke who lives next door to me is a Chelsea fan. If he is permitted to extend his house, he could potentially have an extra 20 of his Chelsea div mates round to watch their games on the telly. There is presumably some law somewhere protecting me and my family from potential exposure to that many fuc king idiots whilst in our own home, so I would appreciate you telling him to stick his extension right up his rancid Chelsea ar se along with his wan ky blue flag.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation,

Wombat

Potentially a risky strategy because the Planning Officer/Person hearing any appeal may be Chelsea, but seeing as every other fu cker hates Chelsea and would therefore decide in your favour, I'd give it a whirl. Good luck.

EDIT: Chelsea fan... single storey extension: He's blatantly opening an illegal flat-roof pub which will show all Chelsea games live on a moody feed. Assuming he also plans on converting his back garden into a beer garden, you can surely get it blocked?

[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 8:30]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Planning permission help needed on 09:16 - Jan 3 with 2562 viewsHastings_Hoops

I’m by no means an expert:

The first thing is to differentiate between Daylight and Sunlight (planning process) and Rights to Light (common law).

If you are concerned that the development will reduce your daylight and sunlight amenity beyond acceptable BRE guidelines, then you can challenge the development during the planning process and you should speak to the planning officer as soon as planning is submitted and request that your neighbour submit a ‘Daylight and Sunlight’ report in support of the application. Without going into the detail, the BRE (planning adopted) assessment methodology used for ‘Daylight and Sunlight’ assessments is different to that used for calculating injury caused under ‘Rights to Light’.

A Right to Light is not a planning matter but a common law matter and would apply to windows which have enjoyed uninterrupted light for at least 20 years (there are some technicalities which can apply if the windows are newer).

If planning permission is granted because the development is deemed not to breach BRE guidelines under Daylight and Sunlight assessment criteria or because the planning authority considers any breach justifiable, you may consider pursuing this under Rights to Light to seek to identify whether a significant loss of light would be caused and if so, seek compensation or an injunction.

Be mindful that In the case of pursuing action under Rights to Light, you would probably need to pay for / fund any Rights of Light assessment in the first instance and surveyors will charge in the order of £200 - £300 per hour!

This is all hypothetical and you should seek full advice from relevant experts for your situation before splashing out significant sums here. A chat with your neighbour in the first instance would be the best curse of action followed by early discussion with the planning case officer before running down a Rights of Light avenue.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 9:25]
Planning permission help needed on 09:17 - Jan 3 with 2560 viewskernowhoop

Spot on, Hants R.
Planning permission help needed on 10:12 - Jan 3 with 2470 viewsDavieQPR

The extension must not exceed 50% of the garden. He will also be required to check underground services ( water pipes,etc) . type of soil and any flooding history ,Cannot be within 3m of a shared party wall. Any brickwork must be the same or similar.
Planning permission help needed on 13:24 - Jan 3 with 2322 viewsTonto

Hants R's response is very good. On the face of it, I don't think you have grounds to object, as its probably al within ether permitted or permissible rights.

Your best bet maybe to just talk to your neighbor and explain your concerns. there maybe something they can do in the deign which lessons the impact on yur garden and makes both sides happy with small compromises.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Planning permission help needed on 14:04 - Jan 3 with 2274 viewsR_from_afar

Planning permission help needed on 08:21 - Jan 3 by Konk

Dear Planning Dept,

The bloke who lives next door to me is a Chelsea fan. If he is permitted to extend his house, he could potentially have an extra 20 of his Chelsea div mates round to watch their games on the telly. There is presumably some law somewhere protecting me and my family from potential exposure to that many fuc king idiots whilst in our own home, so I would appreciate you telling him to stick his extension right up his rancid Chelsea ar se along with his wan ky blue flag.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation,

Wombat

Potentially a risky strategy because the Planning Officer/Person hearing any appeal may be Chelsea, but seeing as every other fu cker hates Chelsea and would therefore decide in your favour, I'd give it a whirl. Good luck.

EDIT: Chelsea fan... single storey extension: He's blatantly opening an illegal flat-roof pub which will show all Chelsea games live on a moody feed. Assuming he also plans on converting his back garden into a beer garden, you can surely get it blocked?

[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 8:30]

This thread is actually very topical for me because my neighbour (a Spurs supporter since you asked) is planning to extend over his garage, a garage which is right next our boundary and more importantly, "Nygaard" (my very tall but not very mobile silver birch; I named it in his honour).

I'm not objecting to the development because the neighbour is a very reasonable bloke and the impact of the work won't be too bad once I have had "The Tree" (that's Marc again) pruned.

Good luck with your neighbour.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Planning permission help needed on 14:43 - Jan 3 with 2228 viewsGroveR

Planning permission help needed on 03:12 - Jan 3 by smegma

stab him to death.

I'd go with something a little more subtle like painting "PAEDO" in 15ft red letters on the front of his house.
Planning permission help needed on 14:49 - Jan 3 with 2214 viewssevenhoop

I'm a bit worried that a single-storey extension will affect the sun coming into your garden. Do you live in a hole or is the sun particularly low in your neck of the woods?
Planning permission help needed on 14:59 - Jan 3 with 2196 viewsBoston

Planning permission help needed on 14:49 - Jan 3 by sevenhoop

I'm a bit worried that a single-storey extension will affect the sun coming into your garden. Do you live in a hole or is the sun particularly low in your neck of the woods?

FFS squire, he’s just trying to prevent over development, lovely town is Watership Down.

Planning permission help needed on 15:35 - Jan 3 with 2157 viewswombat

Planning permission help needed on 14:59 - Jan 3 by Boston

FFS squire, he’s just trying to prevent over development, lovely town is Watership Down.

Cheers as always esp konks suggestions. The sun gos from left to right so the extension will basically block any late afternoon sun , also cancels any view the from kitchen window. We had , we actually do live in a hollow and old copper mine funnily enough , no sky tv due to the hillside behind us blocking any signal unless the dish was about 25 foot above the roof of our roof (town house )
He’s a smug git anyway .

Funnily enough since yesterday when it semi kicked off he’s avoided me , can’t work out why

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Planning permission help needed on 15:54 - Jan 3 with 2131 viewsnix

Planning permission help needed on 15:35 - Jan 3 by wombat

Cheers as always esp konks suggestions. The sun gos from left to right so the extension will basically block any late afternoon sun , also cancels any view the from kitchen window. We had , we actually do live in a hollow and old copper mine funnily enough , no sky tv due to the hillside behind us blocking any signal unless the dish was about 25 foot above the roof of our roof (town house )
He’s a smug git anyway .

Funnily enough since yesterday when it semi kicked off he’s avoided me , can’t work out why

Like Enfield said the presumption these days seems to be in favour of the person extending. The person at the bottom of our garden has built over the garage to the right of my neighbour and also a first storey extension the full length of the end of my neighbour's garden, blocking their light from two directions. But as it was eighteen metres (just) from the end of their garden they waved it through.

My neighbour contacted a few surveyors but they all worked for the people wanting extensions, no one was involved in fighting plans.

I bet they're Chelsea fans. Pees me off because they've almost doubled the size of their house Why couldn't they just have moved to a bigger house...
Planning permission help needed on 16:05 - Jan 3 with 2114 viewsBoston

Planning permission help needed on 15:54 - Jan 3 by nix

Like Enfield said the presumption these days seems to be in favour of the person extending. The person at the bottom of our garden has built over the garage to the right of my neighbour and also a first storey extension the full length of the end of my neighbour's garden, blocking their light from two directions. But as it was eighteen metres (just) from the end of their garden they waved it through.

My neighbour contacted a few surveyors but they all worked for the people wanting extensions, no one was involved in fighting plans.

I bet they're Chelsea fans. Pees me off because they've almost doubled the size of their house Why couldn't they just have moved to a bigger house...

....they like the neighbours😉

Planning permission help needed on 19:02 - Jan 3 with 2010 viewsRangersDave

lets not get started on Japanese Knotweed and neighbours having it.
Thats another bloody minefield.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Planning permission help needed on 19:11 - Jan 3 with 1989 viewsLowerloftLad

No sky perfect forget the extension QPR should be building the whole stadium there

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Planning permission help needed on 19:29 - Jan 3 with 1966 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Introduce a family of starlings and enlist Save Warren Farm's assistance. If they can keep QPR at bay for 8 years they can handle your neighbour. If they fail, make sure you bury them all under your neighbour's extension so they never darken QPR's doors again.
Planning permission help needed on 20:11 - Jan 3 with 1936 viewsdistortR

Planning permission help needed on 14:04 - Jan 3 by R_from_afar

This thread is actually very topical for me because my neighbour (a Spurs supporter since you asked) is planning to extend over his garage, a garage which is right next our boundary and more importantly, "Nygaard" (my very tall but not very mobile silver birch; I named it in his honour).

I'm not objecting to the development because the neighbour is a very reasonable bloke and the impact of the work won't be too bad once I have had "The Tree" (that's Marc again) pruned.

Good luck with your neighbour.

prune it quickly - it'll bleed profusely and possibly damagingly when it's sap is flowing.
Planning permission help needed on 09:01 - Jan 4 with 1795 viewsLoftgirl

Planning permission help needed on 19:02 - Jan 3 by RangersDave

lets not get started on Japanese Knotweed and neighbours having it.
Thats another bloody minefield.

That's it. Plant some in his garden.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024