Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2010/2011 Rewind 13:18 - Apr 12 with 2101 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Part 1 on at the moment.
Part 2 on later.

We've scored so many already that we've had to change the commentator mid-match. Twice.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

2010/2011 Rewind on 13:34 - Apr 12 with 1804 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Part 2 at 6pm.

2010/2011 Rewind on 18:12 - Apr 12 with 1733 viewsDevon_4_England

2010/2011 Rewind on 13:34 - Apr 12 by BrianMcCarthy

Part 2 at 6pm.

Re-watched 4 year plan earlier with my 15 year old son who had never seen it. What a season.

We’ll never know what would have happened if Amit / Mittals had got the 17% share from Bernie / Flavio to bring them up to 50% halfway through 2010/11 but likely they would have been majority shareholder that summer after promotion instead of being stuck on 33% when TF bought the Club...
2010/2011 Rewind on 18:48 - Apr 12 with 1700 viewsAntti_Heinola

Started watching and now can't stop.
Jesus Christ we were so good. In every department. Saves from PK, Clint Hill just did an amazing block v Palace. Gorkss scores a brace. Adel sublime. Mackie just relentless. Heidar brilliant... Ephraim superb in those early months especially.
Great, great days.

Bare bones.

2010/2011 Rewind on 19:23 - Apr 12 with 1662 viewsNorthernr

Three times in the first half of the season we scored really good goals only to have them brought back for our penalty. You're unlucky to have that happen to you once and it happened to us three times in three months - Akos' would have been a goal of the season contender at Ipswich but Stroud decided we might like a penalty instead.
2010/2011 Rewind on 19:25 - Apr 12 with 1655 viewsWadR

Only seen first part so far. Such a glorious season but the 3 games I especially loved seeing again were Palace away, Reading at home and Cardiff at home.

The gritty, brilliance of Helguson for the winner, the sound of that away end, Speroni's incredulity.

And that Reading game was wonderful. Taarabt was unplayable, it wasn't shown in the rewind but can so vividly still see when he rainbow flicked the ball over Karacan's head. Faurlin and the build up for his goal was majestic - used to love that flick over an opponent he would do. We only 10 men but were utterly dominant - remember Mackie moving to RB after the sending off and him and Walker at fullbacks each did the work of 2 men.

Highlights don't really do justice to how solid our defence was or how great the Derry and Faurlin axis was. Would love to see a full 90 of one of the 2 games against Cardiff.
2010/2011 Rewind on 19:44 - Apr 12 with 1633 viewsNorthernr

I'd forgotten we beat Reading with ten men twice that season.
2010/2011 Rewind on 19:53 - Apr 12 with 1616 viewsToast_R

Take me back, Taarabt pretty much played the same ridiculous ball against Coventry twice that season home and away. He was f*cking brilliant.
2010/2011 Rewind on 21:05 - Apr 12 with 1557 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'd forgotten that Rowlands was still with us!

How did I forget that?

Login to get fewer ads

2010/2011 Rewind on 21:16 - Apr 12 with 1542 viewsjoolsyp

2010/2011 Rewind on 21:05 - Apr 12 by BrianMcCarthy

How did I forget that?

And Danny Shittu! On both rewinds - the 03/04 and 10/11. How did that happen?! Love the guy ...
2010/2011 Rewind on 22:09 - Apr 12 with 1502 viewsDWQPR

The Taarabt goal against Swansea on Boxing Day out the lid on a great sporting 24 hours after we routed the Aussie batting at the MCG and went in at stumps with a lead and no wickets down.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

2010/2011 Rewind on 23:14 - Apr 12 with 1458 viewsAntti_Heinola

2010/2011 Rewind on 19:23 - Apr 12 by Northernr

Three times in the first half of the season we scored really good goals only to have them brought back for our penalty. You're unlucky to have that happen to you once and it happened to us three times in three months - Akos' would have been a goal of the season contender at Ipswich but Stroud decided we might like a penalty instead.

yeah i remember it happening twice, didn't realise it was actually three times - and in about 5 or 6 games too. Bizarre. I still feel sorry for Akos for that Ipswich one. They didn't even let him take the pen, and he was arguably the best pen taker at the club!

Bare bones.

2010/2011 Rewind on 23:17 - Apr 12 with 1454 viewsAntti_Heinola

2010/2011 Rewind on 21:05 - Apr 12 by BrianMcCarthy

How did I forget that?

prob because he didn't play much that season thanks to the form of Derry and Faurlin.

God, I saw that clip today I'd totally forgotten where Ale controls a goal kick on his chest, takes four touches without it bouncing, then volleys just over from 30 yards.

I swear to God, I'd have dived from the SA Road over the paddocks, onto the pitch and demanded he take me, there and then, on the pitch, however he wanted, and to hell with you all, had that gone in.

I miss him so much.

Bare bones.

2010/2011 Rewind on 15:30 - Apr 14 with 1303 viewsW7Ranger

One of the biggest travesties of the Mark Hughes era was replacing Paddy Kenny with Green and then Cesar!!

Some of the saves he made that promotion season (and then in the Prem) were absolute worldies!

When you have the players and talent in the team we had that year and both the fans and players have voted you as player of the season, that speaks volumes to!! 25 clean sheets ffs!!!

Awful decision.

And think of how much money we would have saved on those 2 players alone??!!

F'king Mark Hughes!!!
2010/2011 Rewind on 16:01 - Apr 14 with 1285 viewsslmrstid

I went to more games that season than I'd ever been to before, or have since. As well as my season ticket and usual attendance of all home games (dont think I missed a single one that year) I also made about 15 away games. From Christmas onwards the only ones I missed were Norwich, Middlesbrough and Millwall.

I did also miss the Bristol City trip earlier in the year due to breaking my arm on the Tuesday before the game and not being able to drive.

A wonderful year. A year in the end that felt as much my success as the players, because I'd been to so many games!

One of my favourite away games that year, beside the obvious of beating Leicester on their own patch, and the 1-0 at Reading, was the trip to Cardiff. So many QPR teams of yesteryear, even successful QPR teams, would have folded in a pressure-cooker environment like there was that day. But that team? No chance. The atmosphere in the ground was unreal, it felt like the play-off final all over again (in fact the noise from them after Bothroyd whacked that opener in took me right back to Andy Campbell and May 2003 all over again...)

Adel Taarabt always seemed to have this reputation outside of W12 of not being a big game player. That was nonsense, he picked that game up by the scruff of its neck that day and got us that point. His equaliser just minutes after Bothroyd's opener proved that - takes a corner, goes nowhere, comes back to him, edge of the box. Looks up, thinks "anything on for me? Nah, no-one in good positions, fk it, I'll just stick it in the top corner" Wallop. 1-1. Ridiculous goal.

His second that day was a bit scruffier, but it was a real deserved result for us. It would have been unreal had Helguson managed to get that winner and send us up at the end, but actually getting out might have been problematic then.

Having that day at Watford a couple of weeks later was great, though in the end the goals were just a release of relief that we'd finally done it, more than anything.
2010/2011 Rewind on 08:37 - Apr 15 with 1218 viewsTheChef

2010/2011 Rewind on 19:23 - Apr 12 by Northernr

Ah that was good old Keith was it?

And here we are ten years later, plus ca change etc...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

2010/2011 Rewind on 08:47 - Apr 15 with 1207 viewsJuzzie

The away game at Palace was enjoyable for so many reasons.
Horrible ground to get to and from. Always lose there whether it was Palace, Wimbledon or Charlton.
We won there after so many attempts at the tail end of the previous season as Warnock steadied the ship.
To do so again in the next game there was great and wipe the smirks off their faces as they thought they got a late equaliser. Speroni looked like a snorting bull!,
2010/2011 Rewind on 09:04 - Apr 15 with 1190 viewsNorthernr

2010/2011 Rewind on 08:47 - Apr 15 by Juzzie

The away game at Palace was enjoyable for so many reasons.
Horrible ground to get to and from. Always lose there whether it was Palace, Wimbledon or Charlton.
We won there after so many attempts at the tail end of the previous season as Warnock steadied the ship.
To do so again in the next game there was great and wipe the smirks off their faces as they thought they got a late equaliser. Speroni looked like a snorting bull!,

The two things I remember about that are being absolutely certain in the away end, level with it, that Helguson had punched the ball in. Surprised the lino didn't give that because from our side it looked nailed on, and he was in front of us, but on the replay it's nowhere near. Just a trick of the angle.

The other was the celebrations for their goal. They hadn't scored for a while I don't think and fck me did they lay it on thick. Whole team doing Eagle flaps, whole ground going apesht, one bit of celebration music, then another bit of different celebration music. Fck me.

Made our winner very sweet indeed.
2010/2011 Rewind on 09:11 - Apr 15 with 1180 viewsjoe90

Just finished watching, what a season! Even better than the play-off winning season.

I think it's safe to say Taarabt has reached legendary status.

[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 9:15]
2010/2011 Rewind on 10:50 - Apr 16 with 1099 viewsBrianMcCarthy

All of Taarabt's 19 goals being shown on facebook now.

Poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorn.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 10:50]

2010/2011 Rewind on 10:52 - Apr 16 with 1088 viewsTheChef

2010/2011 Rewind on 10:50 - Apr 16 by BrianMcCarthy

All of Taarabt's 19 goals being shown on facebook now.

Poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorn.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2020 10:50]

Lovely jubbly.

Forgot how many pens he scored too!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

2010/2011 Rewind on 10:57 - Apr 16 with 1076 viewsNorthernr

2010/2011 Rewind on 10:52 - Apr 16 by TheChef

Lovely jubbly.

Forgot how many pens he scored too!

But as said higher up, three of those pens would have been goals anyway had the referee just waited another second or two - Buzsaky, Taarabt and Helguson all scored anyway, two of them absolute worldies.
2010/2011 Rewind on 11:42 - Apr 16 with 1047 viewsstowmarketrange

2010/2011 Rewind on 09:04 - Apr 15 by Northernr

The two things I remember about that are being absolutely certain in the away end, level with it, that Helguson had punched the ball in. Surprised the lino didn't give that because from our side it looked nailed on, and he was in front of us, but on the replay it's nowhere near. Just a trick of the angle.

The other was the celebrations for their goal. They hadn't scored for a while I don't think and fck me did they lay it on thick. Whole team doing Eagle flaps, whole ground going apesht, one bit of celebration music, then another bit of different celebration music. Fck me.

I think their keeper was too busy moaning about the ball supposedly being knocked out of his hands to claim for handball.Maybe he should’ve been claiming for that instead?
2010/2011 Rewind on 11:44 - Apr 16 with 1044 viewsAntti_Heinola

2010/2011 Rewind on 09:04 - Apr 15 by Northernr

Oh God, it was SO sweet waking away from that. I could not keep the smile off my face!

Bare bones.

2010/2011 Rewind on 12:05 - Apr 16 with 1026 viewsW7Ranger

Have we ever won (and scored) so many pens in one season? Must've been close to 10?

Watching the 03/04 season review and we scored 80 goals (only 71 in 10/11), yet I don't think we won our first pen of that season until well in to the new year!
2010/2011 Rewind on 17:59 - Apr 20 with 921 viewsA40Bosh

Finished watching that season review at the weekend and there were the odd tear or two in the eye towards the end. I really loved that whole season. Started me thinking about how consistently good we were that season and even when we were not so good we often still ground out a result or a draw even away from home. So I had a delve back at the squad for that year and looked at the stats.

Generally we relied on 20 core players for the season and had 6 players who played over 40 appearances that season. Then you had Bradley Orr who would have had a lot more had we not signed Kyle Walker or conversely Kyle would have had a lot more if we had extended his loan. It shows that if you can get a consistent core spine to a team who are settled and know each other it must go a long way to helping achieve consistent results.

1 Paddy Kenny (44)
2 Bradley Orr (29) / Kyle Walker (20)
3 Kaspars Gorkss (42)
4 Matt Connolly (33) / Fitz Hall (12)
5 Clint Hill (44)
6 Alejandro Faurlin (40)
7 Sean Derry (45)
8 Jamie Mackie (25) / Hogan Ephraim (19)
9 Adel Tarrabt (43)
10 Tommy Smith (23) / Wayne Routledge (20)
11 Heidar Helguson (32) / Hulse / Agyemang*

*It seems if you believe the Wikipedia stats that Rob Hulse was a preferred starter replacement for Heidar - he apparently started 12 times - when Heidar didn't start and Agyemang was used as a sub albeit he is listed as having 19 sub appearances that season. Either way it is irrelevant as both of them only managed two goals.

Will we ever see the likes of it again :-)

(Ok, I gone a bit 'Stato' during the lock down and the counting QPR players from this season or 2010/2011 instead of sheep when I cant sleep has kicked in again. I just hope the sleepless problems don't get as bad as they were back then when I found myself able to recant the scores in my head in order for all 46 games. 4-0, 3-0, 2-0, 2-2, 3-0 ......zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024